Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread - Page 423 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #12661 of 12679 Old 03-24-2015, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
In a 5.1 setup, there are no SBL/SBR speakers which only exist in a 7.1 setup. Connect the speakers to the SL/SR speaker posts. Ideally these speakers should be placed to the side of your main listening position but regardless of whether you physically place them behind your couch, they are still considered side surrounds.
Thank you JDSmoothie and everybody else. After switching SBL/SBR to SL/SR the magic "Skip Error" button appeared and I can finish running Audyssey.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0978.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	621985  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12662 of 12679 Old 03-24-2015, 08:11 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked: 2079
^^
Wohoo! Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
post #12663 of 12679 Old 03-24-2015, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
Wohoo! Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.
LOL, not really. After running Audyssey the old problem with not enough encodings shows up. Where did they all go? I love DTS Neo X, sounds amazing! Now it only shows these , and in any of the choises - MOVIE, MUSIC or GAME. I pushed the buttons on the unit, but this time it didnt create more encodings like PL or NEO. How do I get them back?
Much obliged, gentlemen!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0989!!.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	622009  
post #12664 of 12679 Old 03-24-2015, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2179 Post(s)
Liked: 1172
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigorianvlad View Post
LOL, not really. After running Audyssey the old problem with not enough encodings shows up. Where did they all go? I love DTS Neo X, sounds amazing! Now it only shows these , and in any of the choises - MOVIE, MUSIC or GAME. I pushed the buttons on the unit, but this time it didnt create more encodings like PL or NEO. How do I get them back?
Much obliged, gentlemen!
Something is not right. Can you post a screenshot of the speaker configuration? If you have a 5.1 configuration, you should be getting Dolby PLII Cinema as a choice.
post #12665 of 12679 Old 03-24-2015, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Something is not right. Can you post a screenshot of the speaker configuration? If you have a 5.1 configuration, you should be getting Dolby PLII Cinema as a choice.
Thank you for the idea. Indeed, I checked the speaker settings, as you posted. It said 5.1, which is correct. But Neo X takes 5.1 and basically converts it to 9.1 or 11.1. If the speaker configuration is 5.1 it cannot upprocess the signal because there are not enough speakers to play with for the end result. I changed it to 11 speakers and Neo X and bunch of other encodings showed up immediately.
You have been a tremendous help, thank you!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0989!!.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	622025   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0990!!!!!!!!.png
Views:	21
Size:	784.2 KB
ID:	622033   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0998!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	622041  
post #12666 of 12679 Old 03-24-2015, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Also, some options don't appear unless you actually have an incoming signal. (E.g. the decoder needed for a particular type of input signal.)
audiofan1 likes this.

Selden

Marantz SR7009+MM9000/Atmos 7.1.4 (FH+TM:DefTech PM1000)/LCR+TM amped
post #12667 of 12679 Old 03-24-2015, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for the idea. Indeed, I checked the speaker settings, as you posted. It said 5.1, which is correct. But Neo X takes 5.1 and basically converts it to 9.1 or 11.1. If the speaker configuration is 5.1 it cannot upprocess the signal because there are not enough speakers to play with for the end result. I changed it to 11 speakers and Neo X and bunch of other encodings showed up immediately.
Still not understanding. How many speakers do you actually have? 5.1, 7.1, 9.1, or 11.1?

And I still don't see the right choices in your screen shot. I should be seeing Dolby Digital, Dolby DigitalEx (if you have at least 7.1), and PLII Cinema. As Seldon says, you must be feeding the AVR a 5.1 signal to see these choices.

What are all those MULT CH IN choices? How are you feeding the signal to the AVR, through the 7-channel analog inputs, or using a HDMI connection?
post #12668 of 12679 Old 03-24-2015, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Still not understanding. How many speakers do you actually have? 5.1, 7.1, 9.1, or 11.1?

And I still don't see the right choices in your screen shot. I should be seeing Dolby Digital, Dolby DigitalEx (if you have at least 7.1), and PLII Cinema. As Seldon says, you must be feeding the AVR a 5.1 signal to see these choices.

What are all those MULT CH IN choices? How are you feeding the signal to the AVR, through the 7-channel analog inputs, or using a HDMI connection?
Sorry, English is my third language. I must not have been clear.
I have 5.1 speakers.
The following choices show up in the MOVIE mode if I fake 9 or 11 speakers in Speaker Configuration:

STEREO
DOLBY PLIIz MOVIE
DOLBY PLIIz MOVIE
DTS NEO X: CINEMA
PLx MOVIE: ADX (Wide/Height)
PLx MOVIE: ADX (Wide)
PLx MOVIE: ADX (Height)
MULTI CH STEREO
VIRTUAL

I am feeding HDMI from a BluRay player, so probably Dolby Digital 5.1

But if I change Speaker Configuration to the actual number - 5.1 - then I only see the four choices:

STEREO
DOLBY PLII MOVIE
MULTI CH STEREO
VIRTUAL

Is this how it is supposed to work. Also, what is strange is that if I set number of speakers to a higher number than I have STEREO sounds about 5dB quieter. But this is STEREO! It should use the same two speakers. It should not be sending bits and pieces of the signal to the speakers I dont have. But it does sound quieter for sure.
post #12669 of 12679 Old 03-24-2015, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
You'll see the MULTI CH IN choices if you are feeding the 8801 LPCM as opposed to Bitstream. This is normal.

OPPO BDP-103, Comcast DVR, Sony FMP-X1 4K server
Marantz AV8801 pre/pro, Yamaha MX-A5000 amp
Sony VPL-VW600ES projector, Stewart StudioTek130 103" diag screen
7 Thiel speakers (3 SCS4, 2 PowerPoint, 2 PowerPlane), 2 JL Audio E110 subs
Harmony Ultimate remote
post #12670 of 12679 Old 03-24-2015, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have 5.1 speakers.
The following choices show up in the MOVIE mode if I fake 9 or 11 speakers in Speaker Configuration:

STEREO
DOLBY PLIIz MOVIE
DOLBY PLIIz MOVIE
MULTI CH STEREO
VIRTUAL

But if I change Speaker Configuration to the actual number - 5.1 - then I only see the four choices:

STEREO
DOLBY PLII MOVIE
MULTI CH STEREO
VIRTUAL

Is this how it is supposed to work. Also, what is strange is that if I set number of speakers to a higher number than I have STEREO sounds about 5dB quieter. But this is STEREO! It should use the same two speakers. It should not be sending bits and pieces of the signal to the speakers I dont have. But it does sound quieter for sure.
PLIIx, Neo:X and DSX are all modes requiring more speakers than 5.1. Why are you trying to trick the AVR into playing modes without the proper number of speakers?
post #12671 of 12679 Old 03-24-2015, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
PLIIx, Neo:X and DSX are all modes requiring more speakers than 5.1. Why are you trying to trick the AVR into playing modes without the proper number of speakers?
I had SBL/SBR connected. They stayed ON in the menu after I connected SL/SR, so I saw more choices of codecs than my speakers can supports. Of course, there is no point in using Neo and others if i dont have that many channels. Thanks
post #12672 of 12679 Old 03-26-2015, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I apologize for being the one who posts here the most. I have a question. I tried to connect my HDMI headphones to the Marantz. It didnt work. I think I know the reason. Basically, the headphones need a regular HDMI out from the processor, both video and audio or audio only. But the Marantz probably outputs video HDMI only from monitor 1, 2 and HDMI out zone 4. How do I switch Marantz so it outputs HDMI audio out to TV. Here is how it is connected now. I took HDMI from the Marantz monitor out, connected it to HDMI headphones processor in, from the headphones I used HDMI out marked "to TV" nad connected it to TV.
In the Pioneer (my previous AVR) I had to go to AVR audio parameters and switch HDMI=>AMP to HDMI=>THROUGH. It basically made the Elite silent (bypassed audio) while video worked fine to TV. But the headphones would immediately turn on. There is gotta be a similar function/button in the AV8801. What is it?? Thanks.
post #12673 of 12679 Old Today, 01:53 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked: 2079
^^
HDMI Audio Out (p. 127 Owner's manual) - "AVP" ---> "TV"

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
post #12674 of 12679 Old Today, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Quote:
I have 5.1 speakers.

STEREO
DOLBY PLIIz MOVIE
DOLBY PLIIz MOVIE
MULTI CH STEREO
VIRTUAL

STEREO
DOLBY PLII MOVIE
MULTI CH STEREO
VIRTUAL

Quote:
I had SBL/SBR connected. They stayed ON in the menu after I connected SL/SR, so I saw more choices of codecs than my speakers can supports. Of course, there is no point in using Neo and others if i dont have that many channels. Thanks
Here ya go
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	marantz.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	376.5 KB
ID:	631481  
post #12675 of 12679 Old Today, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

and another
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	marantz1.png
Views:	13
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	631489  
post #12676 of 12679 Old Today, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I have noticed when playing dtshd master I only see stereo, dtshdmaster, multichannel stereo, and virtual. 5.2 Playing m2ts file via USB into Sony bluray into marantz.
post #12677 of 12679 Old Today, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I have noticed when playing dtshd master I only see stereo, dtshdmaster, multichannel stereo, and virtual. 5.2 Playing m2ts file via USB into Sony bluray into marantz.
post #12678 of 12679 Old Today, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post
The entries you're not seeing are the upmixers. They only appear when there are fewer channels in the incoming soundtrack than you have speakers.

If you have a 5.2 channel speaker system and play a 5.1 channel soundtrack, no upmixers (e.g. Dolby Surround or DTS Neo:X) are available. There's nothing for them to do because all of your speaker channels already are fully occupied by the channels provided by the incoming soundtrack. With 5.2 speakers, the upmixers are only available when you play a stereo soundtrack.

Selden

Marantz SR7009+MM9000/Atmos 7.1.4 (FH+TM:DefTech PM1000)/LCR+TM amped
post #12679 of 12679 Old Today, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post
The entries you're not seeing are the upmixers. They only appear when there are fewer channels in the incoming soundtrack than you have speakers.

If you have a 5.2 channel speaker system and play a 5.1 channel soundtrack, no upmixers (e.g. Dolby Surround or DTS Neo:X) are available. There's nothing for them to do because all of your speaker channels already are fully occupied by the channels provided by the incoming soundtrack. With 5.2 speakers, the upmixers are only available when you play a stereo soundtrack.
Gotcha. The track coming in was a 7.1 dts hd master
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page