Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread - Page 424 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #12691 of 13054 Old 04-05-2015, 06:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
Do you mean that you only get this popping if you change the volume really fast - that is while you are changing the volume, or, once you have set the volume, then the popping will continue?
Yes the popping occurs while I change the volume, not before or after. So I guess it's not clipping. Sorry if I wasn't clear, but English is not my native language.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12692 of 13054 Old 04-05-2015, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3740 View Post
Yes set to Small, 80 hz, 2 subs selected in manual set up and Audissey, and not in pure direct.
I could not get them (at first) to play at all, but when I did all the above... they took off on CD Analog ,but not the other
Double check the settings while you're playing an HDMI source. Some settings are configured on a per-input basis.
audiofan1 likes this.

Selden

Marantz SR7009+MM9000/Atmos 7.1.4 (FH+TM:DefTech PM1000)/LCR+TM amped
post #12693 of 13054 Old 04-05-2015, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Odd. Usually people whose subs aren’t working when they are playing 2 ch content is because they have turned on Pure Direct, not realising this then bypasses the subs. But if you are using Stereo or one of the other options then that can't be the issue.

When you play the AVR test tones, the subs produce sound?

You have the Oppo set to bitstream the audio output via HDMI?

Thanks ,I found it. It was indeed the Pure button. I did not realize the Marantz has 3 positions on that button. 2 different Pure's and Off
kbarnes701 likes this.
post #12694 of 13054 Old 04-05-2015, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3740 View Post
Thanks ,I found it. It was indeed the Pure button. I did not realize the Marantz has 3 positions on that button. 2 different Pure's and Off
Calling it "Off" is a slight misnomer, I think. Although the third setting (Auto) allows bass management and Audyssey, it disables the remixers: stereo comes though as two-channel, 5.1 comes though as 5.1, etc.

Selden

post #12695 of 13054 Old 04-06-2015, 02:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 5148 Post(s)
Liked: 3723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.H View Post
Yes the popping occurs while I change the volume, not before or after. So I guess it's not clipping. Sorry if I wasn't clear, but English is not my native language.
No problem. Then this does sound like it might be a fault with the unit. I don't own this unit so I can't check if it happens here - maybe other owners will chime in for you?
post #12696 of 13054 Old 04-06-2015, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigorianvlad View Post
Thank you for the idea. Indeed, I checked the speaker settings, as you posted. It said 5.1, which is correct. But Neo X takes 5.1 and basically converts it to 9.1 or 11.1. If the speaker configuration is 5.1 it cannot upprocess the signal because there are not enough speakers to play with for the end result. I changed it to 11 speakers and Neo X and bunch of other encodings showed up immediately.
You have been a tremendous help, thank you!
I just saw this and have the same issue, I have 5.1 set up and I have the hdmi out set to bit stream on my oppo. Prometheus is DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 with respect to the audio codec. I only get the five choices when choising sound so I have to change the number of speakers in manual set up to get the codec?

The thread answers a lot of different questions but I just wanted to jump in here and clarify this.

Thnaks

Matto
post #12697 of 13054 Old 04-06-2015, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post
Gotcha. The track coming in was a 7.1 dts hd master
I have a dts HD master 7.1 I don't see that codec on the choices at all with bitstream from an oppo, I do see dts neox cinema with a true 5.1 setup

not sure what is going on

Matto
post #12698 of 13054 Old 04-06-2015, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
No problem. Then this does sound like it might be a fault with the unit. I don't own this unit so I can't check if it happens here - maybe other owners will chime in for you?
I am not so sure, that this is a fault or a feature If it's a fault, shouldn't it occur with all movies and all sounds? And as I said the effect is not noticeable when I change the volume with the knob on the 8801. My guess would be that the AV8801 mutes/unmutes the volume every time the volume level is changed and this causes the plopping sound since the loudness goes from zero to a high value every time.

Nevertheless it would be really helpful if a owner of the AV8801 can check with his unit. Tomorrow I will try to reach Marantz on the phone.
post #12699 of 13054 Old 04-06-2015, 11:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3205 Post(s)
Liked: 1752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Calling it "Off" is a slight misnomer, I think. Although the third setting (Auto) allows bass management and Audyssey, it disables the remixers: stereo comes though as two-channel, 5.1 comes though as 5.1, etc.
Seldon, TBH, I have never even noticed the "Auto" setting under the Direct menu. I read the user manual section that describes the Auto setting, and it says it selects the appropriate mode based on the content the pre-pro is receiving. I am not sure what this means. So, for example, I am receiving two-channel stereo from my Sonos system, which I usually play in PLII Music mode. When I switch to Auto, it sounds like Stereo mode, and the subwoofers are being used. So what would the advantage be of using Auto?
post #12700 of 13054 Old 04-06-2015, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 5148 Post(s)
Liked: 3723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.H View Post
I am not so sure, that this is a fault or a feature If it's a fault, shouldn't it occur with all movies and all sounds? And as I said the effect is not noticeable when I change the volume with the knob on the 8801. My guess would be that the AV8801 mutes/unmutes the volume every time the volume level is changed and this causes the plopping sound since the loudness goes from zero to a high value every time.

Nevertheless it would be really helpful if a owner of the AV8801 can check with his unit. Tomorrow I will try to reach Marantz on the phone.
Well my Denon is likely not much different to a Marantz and if it had that 'feature' it would be going back for a refund
post #12701 of 13054 Old 04-06-2015, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Seldon, TBH, I have never even noticed the "Auto" setting under the Direct menu. I read the user manual section that describes the Auto setting, and it says it selects the appropriate mode based on the content the pre-pro is receiving. I am not sure what this means. So, for example, I am receiving two-channel stereo from my Sonos system, which I usually play in PLII Music mode. When I switch to Auto, it sounds like Stereo mode, and the subwoofers are being used. So what would the advantage be of using Auto?
The advantage of Auto is that it automatically selects the correct decoder but without Direct or Pure Direct enabled. D+M is using their traditional cryptic version of English to describe the feature.

As I was trying to say, and as you discovered, that's exactly and all that it does. When the Direct options are deselected by you selecting Auto, it re-enables Audyssey MultEQ and bass management but it does not enable any of the remixing options. Specifically, Stereo and Virtual downmixing as well as PLII, Neo:X, DSU and DSX upmixing are all off until you subsequently select one of them again manually. (e.g. by making a different selection using the Music button or any of a number of other ways.)

In other words, when you select the Auto option on the Direct button, a 2.0 channel soundtrack will use only your front main L&R speakers, plus the subwoofer if you've set those channels to be "Small".

The equivalent of the Auto option is included in the Music, Movie and Game menus. When you're playing a specific type of soundtrack (e.g. TrueHD), you'll see its appropriate decoder as one of the options. (it's usually the second one, right under Stereo.) Just as when you select Auto, when you select that decoder entry, none of the remixers are applied.

Selden

post #12702 of 13054 Old 04-06-2015, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The advantage of Auto is that it automatically selects the correct decoder but without Direct or Pure Direct enabled. D+M is using their traditional cryptic version of English to describe the feature.

As I was trying to say, and as you discovered, that's exactly and all that it does. When the Direct options are deselected by you selecting Auto, it re-enables Audyssey MultEQ and bass management but it does not enable any of the remixing options. Specifically, Stereo and Virtual downmixing as well as PLII, Neo:X, DSU and DSX upmixing are all off until you subsequently select one of them again manually. (e.g. by making a different selection using the Music button or any of a number of other ways.)

In other words, when you select the Auto option on the Direct button, a 2.0 channel soundtrack will use only your front main L&R speakers, plus the subwoofer if you've set those channels to be "Small".

The equivalent of the Auto option is included in the Music, Movie and Game menus. When you're playing a specific type of soundtrack (e.g. TrueHD), you'll see its appropriate decoder as one of the options. (it's usually the second one, right under Stereo.) Just as when you select Auto, when you select that decoder entry, none of the remixers are applied.
Thanks for the explanation, Seldon. Since I prefer using the remixers, Auto probably is of little use to me.
post #12703 of 13054 Old 04-06-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:

this is interesting,
I have it set to auto but only when I push direct, meaning that I am wondering if somehow I messed up the default audio decoding options on input config, I don't see any native codes, it looks as though stereo is being played through even though I have the oppo set to bit stream, of course I didn't know that until I tried to show off my system to my father-in-law.
post #12704 of 13054 Old 04-07-2015, 07:16 AM

just figured this out in case anyone has this happen, I use the oppo bp-93 mainly for blu-ray and music. I had both hdmi plugged into the marantz, for some reason hdmi 2 transmits pcm and overrides the audio on hdmi 1, I disconnected the hdmi 2 and problem solved
post #12705 of 13054 Old 04-07-2015, 09:40 AM

Hi guys, I have a second zone setup in my house. It works fine when I'm using AirPlay and anything from the network, but when I try to use it with cable or aux hdmi inputs zone 2 doesn't seem to produce any sound. Does anyone know how to get the second zone to play other inputs?
post #12706 of 13054 Old 04-07-2015, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibnihtmus View Post
Hi guys, I have a second zone setup in my house. It works fine when I'm using AirPlay and anything from the network, but when I try to use it with cable or aux hdmi inputs zone 2 doesn't seem to produce any sound. Does anyone know how to get the second zone to play other inputs?
You'll need to use separate stereo analog input connections. HDMI and S/PDIF inputs are not available on the analog stereo Zone outputs.

D+M equipment did not get the ability to send stereo PCM to the other Zones until the year after the 8801 was released.

Selden

post #12707 of 13054 Old 04-07-2015, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 667
The price if these is very tempting to pull me into finally buying a preamp. I have a 4520ci right now running in that assignment and noted the differences discussed in the first part of this thread between the 8801 and 4520.

Atmos and the newer 4k specs have no meaning to me, so this would be a logical choice at it's current pricing. Just have some thinking to do...

Panasonic VT50 / Sony S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF-7II and RC-64II
Dual Rythmik FV15HP's
post #12708 of 13054 Old 04-07-2015, 01:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 5127 Post(s)
Liked: 2624
Quote:
You'll need to use separate stereo analog input connections. HDMI and S/PDIF inputs are not available on the analog stereo Zone outputs.

D+M equipment did not get the ability to send stereo PCM to the other Zones until the year after the 8801 was released.
PCM 2.0 via optical/digital COAX to Zones 2/3 is available going back to at least 2007, rather the capability was removed for some reason on the 2012 D&M models (3313CI, 4520CI, SR6007, SR7007, AV7701, AV8801) when the Zone 2/4 HDMI monitor outputs were introduced and then brought back again the next year with the 2013 models to include HDMI PCM 2.0 as well to Zone 2 only.

--------
2015 Denon AVR thread ----> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...dcp-2-2-a.html

Think your AVR is defective? Check the Owner's manual and do a factory reset 4-5 times if necessary.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 04-07-2015 at 01:16 PM.
post #12709 of 13054 Old 04-07-2015, 01:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
The price if these is very tempting to pull me into finally buying a preamp. I have a 4520ci right now running in that assignment and noted the differences discussed in the first part of this thread between the 8801 and 4520.

Atmos and the newer 4k specs have no meaning to me, so this would be a logical choice at it's current pricing. Just have some thinking to do...
We've still got one left if interested and will even throw in a free Denon HEOS Link ($349 MSRP) which will allow you to stream audio to a non-networking AVR or to wireless Denon HEOS speakers located elsewhere in the house.

--------
2015 Denon AVR thread ----> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...dcp-2-2-a.html

Think your AVR is defective? Check the Owner's manual and do a factory reset 4-5 times if necessary.
post #12710 of 13054 Old 04-07-2015, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
PCM 2.0 via optical/digital COAX to Zones 2/3 is available going back to at least 2007, rather the capability was removed for some reason on the 2012 D&M models (3313CI, 4520CI, SR6007, SR7007, AV7701, AV8801) when the Zone 2/4 HDMI monitor outputs were introduced and then brought back again the next year with the 2013 models to include HDMI PCM 2.0 as well to Zone 2 only.
Thanks for the clarification!

My own previous D+M unit (AV8003) was old enough not to have the feature, either.

Selden

post #12711 of 13054 Old 04-07-2015, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm new to xlr connections. Can someone explain why the pin configuration is different between the balanced pre-out and the balanced xlr-in on the 8801?

Sorry don't have enough posts to post the image. The pre out is 123 and the xlr in is 213.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	406.2 KB
ID:	654137  
post #12712 of 13054 Old 04-07-2015, 05:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melon17 View Post
I'm new to xlr connections. Can someone explain why the pin configuration is different between the balanced pre-out and the balanced xlr-in on the 8801?

Sorry don't have enough posts to post the image. The pre out is 123 and the xlr in is 213.
Here is the XLR spec. Are you looking at the difference between the male and the female?

post #12713 of 13054 Old 04-07-2015, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks AJ. I kind offigured it out after posting and your pic confirms it.
post #12714 of 13054 Old 04-08-2015, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Album Art

I have asked several times on this thread over the course of a few months if anyone who owns a AV-8801 is able to view album art when using the Marantz media center.
I have not received a response other than members quoting specs required to receive the album art.
Marantz Tech has been "working" on this issue for the last 5 months and my dealer has had enough of me and has now offered a full refund.
I have put in considerable hours getting this unit to function, just so, so a full refund is less than ideal.
Because this unit came out in 2012 and Marantz tech is only now working on a solution and also the fact that members who own this piece have not chimed in about its ability to playback art I think conclusions can be drawn from that.

Can anyone view album art when using the Marantz media center? If so how?
Are members using another method to connect to the 8801 to view album art?

I did install X box media center and it is a dream to look at on the computer screen but when routed through the marantz it is the same as the Marantz media center for playback graphics.
post #12715 of 13054 Old 04-08-2015, 09:10 AM

I have the HDMI Control option on. When I turn on/off my TV the pre amp turns on/off as well which is really nice! However when I turn on my TV it will switch from whatever input it was at and go to TV Audio automatically. Does anyone know how to make it not switch to TV Audio automatically when it turns on?
post #12716 of 13054 Old 04-08-2015, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2000 View Post
I have asked several times on this thread over the course of a few months if anyone who owns a AV-8801 is able to view album art when using the Marantz media center.
I have not received a response other than members quoting specs required to receive the album art.
Marantz Tech has been "working" on this issue for the last 5 months and my dealer has had enough of me and has now offered a full refund.
I have put in considerable hours getting this unit to function, just so, so a full refund is less than ideal.
Because this unit came out in 2012 and Marantz tech is only now working on a solution and also the fact that members who own this piece have not chimed in about its ability to playback art I think conclusions can be drawn from that.

Can anyone view album art when using the Marantz media center? If so how?
Are members using another method to connect to the 8801 to view album art?

I did install X box media center and it is a dream to look at on the computer screen but when routed through the marantz it is the same as the Marantz media center for playback graphics.
I'll take a stab at this , are you referring to something like gracenote? and seeing a picture of the album cover? If so I use to use my Oppo 105 and it does indeed display album cover art but when say using the 8801 via usb the answer would be no! I was of course using the dual hdmi out on the Oppo and it was sent direct to the display with the other hdmi 2 used for audio along with analog connections. You may want to be sure your xbox has the right output settings to the 8801 and that the 8801 inputs for video are configured to passthrough for the xbox 's signal unaltered.
post #12717 of 13054 Old 04-08-2015, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

What difference would be beneficial?

I have the 4520 also and I have a B&K Reference 7520 Series II amp that I haven't incorporated into the system yet.

Running 5.1(x2)

Energy RC-70 L/R, Energy RC-LCR Center, Polk FXiA6 Surround
post #12718 of 13054 Old 04-08-2015, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibnihtmus View Post
I have the HDMI Control option on. When I turn on/off my TV the pre amp turns on/off as well which is really nice! However when I turn on my TV it will switch from whatever input it was at and go to TV Audio automatically. Does anyone know how to make it not switch to TV Audio automatically when it turns on?
Do you use HDMI(ARC) as this is what is causing this to occur? If not, set the TV to "internal" as opposed to "external" speakers or you can also "Hide" the TV Audio source as well on the 8801. If you do pass audio from the TV back to the 8801, another option is to use an optical cable from the TV instead of HDMI(ARC). This issue was remedied on the newer models with a new setting called "TV Audio Switching" which can be set to OFF so this issue does not happen.
gibnihtmus likes this.

--------

post #12719 of 13054 Old 04-08-2015, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
audiofan1 wrote;

Quote:
I'll take a stab at this , are you referring to something like gracenote? and seeing a picture of the album cover? If so I use to use my Oppo 105 and it does indeed display album cover art but when say using the 8801 via usb the answer would be no! I was of course using the dual hdmi out on the Oppo and it was sent direct to the display with the other hdmi 2 used for audio along with analog connections. You may want to be sure your xbox has the right output settings to the 8801 and that the 8801 inputs for video are configured to passthrough for the xbox 's signal unaltered.
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I am wondering how to proceed as it has taken me many months to get this unit integrated into my system. Nice to be able to upgrade for free but my time is money as well.

I am referring to the embedded metadata that comes with a CD or the graphic data that is included with purchased online audio files displaying the artist and album art. Whether this art is called gracenote or not I don't know.
I do know that I was able to see all graphics when playing back computer audio files through my AV8003 but when I upgraded to the 8801 I cannot. Yes if I playback files through the OPPO I get album art but the majority of my files are in WMA lossless which the OPPO does not playback neither does the OPPO display art for DSD and besides the interface is rather clunky.

The computer is connected via ethernet to the Marantz. I suppose I can check the X box settings as you have suggested.
post #12720 of 13054 Old 04-08-2015, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2000 View Post
audiofan1 wrote;

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I am wondering how to proceed as it has taken me many months to get this unit integrated into my system. Nice to be able to upgrade for free but my time is money as well.

I am referring to the embedded metadata that comes with a CD or the graphic data that is included with purchased online audio files displaying the artist and album art. Whether this art is called gracenote or not I don't know.
I do know that I was able to see all graphics when playing back computer audio files through my AV8003 but when I upgraded to the 8801 I cannot. Yes if I playback files through the OPPO I get album art but the majority of my files are in WMA lossless which the OPPO does not playback neither does the OPPO display art for DSD and besides the interface is rather clunky.

The computer is connected via ethernet to the Marantz. I suppose I can check the X box settings as you have suggested.
Gracenote is a feature on some blu ray players...Sony...some LG and others
Album art is displayed and in some cases some liner notes, on the display when a music CD is placed in the player
though....sometimes burned CD information doesnt come through

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Pioneer SC77 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com