Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread - Page 431 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #12901 of 12921 Old 07-25-2015, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the info - and I'm glad I'm not going crazy...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12902 of 12921 Old 07-25-2015, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread

Three quick questions (I tried to read the manual but it still doesn't work/ couldn't figure it out):

I want to use an Apple TV in the Theater room (Main Zone) and sometimes, independently use it in another bedroom (Zone 4). In zone 4, I want to be able to turn on the Unit using the iphone app, switch it to zone 4, with the Apple TV as the source, and send the video and sound to just that TV connected in the bedroom WITHOUT turning on the projector (main zone) or the monitor I have in the equipment closet (zone 2). Is this possible?

I am only ever going to have a 7.1 speaker set up in the theater room. is it possible to reassign two of the remaining XLR Pre-Outs to another zone? ie I want to use the marantz's DACs with in 2-channel setup in another room using XLR, not RCA connections. As far as I can tell, this isn't possible?

Finally, can I do a vertical picture shift without using the built-in scaler for anything else?

Last edited by Ou8thisSN; 07-26-2015 at 12:48 AM.
post #12903 of 12921 Old 07-26-2015, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
cables

Can I use xlr balanced interconnects for 5 speakers and a rca connection for the subwoofer on an 8801?
post #12904 of 12921 Old 07-26-2015, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert555 View Post
Can I use xlr balanced interconnects for 5 speakers and a rca connection for the subwoofer on an 8801?
You sure can.

Speakers: Klipsch RF-7II(2), Klipsch RC-64II, Klipsch RS-62II(2), Velodyne HGS-15, HSU VTF-15H, Klipsch Cornwalls(2)
Prepro: Marantz AV8801
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5, Emotiva XPA-3(2)
OPPO BDP-103
JVC DLA-X3 (121" screen)
post #12905 of 12921 Old 07-26-2015, 03:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert555 View Post
I do. I even use XLRs for 5 speakers, RCAs for the two height channels and RCAs for the two subs. All good.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #12906 of 12921 Old Yesterday, 02:22 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4730 Post(s)
Liked: 2476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN View Post
Three quick questions (I tried to read the manual but it still doesn't work/ couldn't figure it out):

I want to use an Apple TV in the Theater room (Main Zone) and sometimes, independently use it in another bedroom (Zone 4). In zone 4, I want to be able to turn on the Unit using the iphone app, switch it to zone 4, with the Apple TV as the source, and send the video and sound to just that TV connected in the bedroom WITHOUT turning on the projector (main zone) or the monitor I have in the equipment closet (zone 2). Is this possible?

I am only ever going to have a 7.1 speaker set up in the theater room. is it possible to reassign two of the remaining XLR Pre-Outs to another zone? ie I want to use the marantz's DACs with in 2-channel setup in another room using XLR, not RCA connections. As far as I can tell, this isn't possible?

Finally, can I do a vertical picture shift without using the built-in scaler for anything else?
1. Yes, it should be as that is the purpose of Zone 4.
2. Correct, reassigning of pre-outs is not possible unlike the Denon "flagship" AVR 4520CI of that same year which is able to reassign on board amps when external amps are being used.
3. Although the Picture Adjust settings can be changed without the i/p Scaler being enabled, there is no vertical picture shift setting.
Ou8thisSN likes this.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006
Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective? Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times.
post #12907 of 12921 Old Yesterday, 03:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 129
just got my 8801 set up over the weekend...still learning and experimenting

i have two main subs, hooked to sub1 and sub2...i've recently acquired a mid-bass sub that has xlr only inputs.

it would be great if i could use the xlr of sub1 or sub2 but that cant be done since i'm using rca's of those outputs already...

so my question is could i use an unused xlr (heights or wides) since it's MID-BASS only? those do receive a full-range signal, yes...?

or am i better to just put a splitter on sub1 and use sub2 for the mid-bass...?

at the zenith of his nadir...
post #12908 of 12921 Old Yesterday, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I currently have my subwoofer connected via RCA. XLR cables are expensive and I know it's the best connection possible but is it really worth it for a subwoofer, not a regular speaker?
post #12909 of 12921 Old Yesterday, 07:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4822 Post(s)
Liked: 3529
Quote:
I currently have my subwoofer connected via RCA. XLR cables are expensive and I know it's the best connection possible but is it really worth it for a subwoofer, not a regular speaker?
It's important to understand that there are no sonic differences between XLR and RCA connectors.

XLR are better at noise rejection, so if you have long cable runs and the signal and mains cables run parallel to each other, then XLR can be a better choice. But only if you have any noise issues. If you don't, then the XLR cable won’t bring any benefits.

The XLR connector itself is favored by some as being mechanically superior, but decent RCA cables also make a good connection IME.

XLR output is 6dB higher than RCA and this can be a blessing, a curse, or neither, depending on the rest of your setup.

In short, there is no reason inherent in the differences between XLR and RCA as to why either should be more, or less, suitable for your subwoofer connection, so use whichever you feel most comfortable with.
post #12910 of 12921 Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
XLR are better at noise rejection, so if you have long cable runs and the signal and mains cables run parallel to each other, then XLR can be a better choice.
That's a very good explanation, thank you. One question, by 'mains cables' do you mean the actual speaker wire connecting the amp to the speaker?
post #12911 of 12921 Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
That's a very good explanation, thank you. One question, by 'mains cables' do you mean the actual speaker wire connecting the amp to the speaker?
No, "mains" means electric power. The reference is to preventing 60 Hz hum which can occur when power cables parallel signal cables.
kbarnes701 likes this.
post #12912 of 12921 Old Yesterday, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

When I was first configuring the unit, I got two "firmware update available" notices. I did not update the firmware but now I dont get anymore notices and says this: 3525-8853-5465 is my current firmware. Is this still the latest firmware?
post #12913 of 12921 Old Yesterday, 08:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked: 1567
Quote:
When I was first configuring the unit, I got two "firmware update available" notices. I did not update the firmware but now I dont get anymore notices and says this: 3525-8853-5465 is my current firmware. Is this still the latest firmware?
Yes, that is the current version.
post #12914 of 12921 Old Today, 01:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4822 Post(s)
Liked: 3529
Quote:
As bweissman has said, I mean power cables. If you run signal cables and power cables parallel with each other then the signal cabe can pick up interference, noise, hum etc from the power cable. XLR balanced cables are much more immune to this problem than RCA unbalanced cables. If it isn’t an issue for you, then it doesn't matter, but if you can’t avoid long interconnects and power lines next to them, XLR is a better choice. Most people in a domestic setting don't have this problem so RCA is fine.
post #12915 of 12921 Old Today, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
As bweissman has said, I mean power cables. If you run signal cables and power cables parallel with each other then the signal cabe can pick up interference, noise, hum etc from the power cable. XLR balanced cables are much more immune to this problem than RCA unbalanced cables. If it isn’t an issue for you, then it doesn't matter, but if you can’t avoid long interconnects and power lines next to them, XLR is a better choice. Most people in a domestic setting don't have this problem so RCA is fine.
Well, before I got this unit, I was using a Denon 3803 receiver, which predates HDMI. I had two sources: a blu-ray player and a htpc. I used 7.1 analog outs from the blu-ray player into the Denon and I had to buy a HDMI to optical converter box to separate the audio from the video coming out of the computer. Everything worked fine, except there was a high pitched whine and buzz coming out of the front speakers. I did my best to try and put distance between signal and electrical wires but there isnt a lot of room in my a/v closet to get it completely separated. That was one of the reasons that motivated me to consider a change.
I have two, 2-channel power amps so I was able to use 3 XLR connections to connect the left front, right front and center channel to the Marantz. Now both noises are gone. I'm not sure if that is the result of the XLR, or not using the hdmi/optical converter box.
post #12916 of 12921 Old Today, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Anyway to assign speakers based on input source

I'm running my 8801 as a 9.2 system (no wide channels). I would like to selectively turn off my height speakers based on input source. For instance have them on when watching a Blu-ray but have the 8801 treat it as if there are no height speakers when listening to a music source.

Is there any way to do this aside from manually changing the speaker setup? If I do it manually is there any way to store two sets of Audyssey calibration based on the speaker configuration?
post #12917 of 12921 Old Today, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked: 1567
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcrone View Post
I'm running my 8801 as a 9.2 system (no wide channels). I would like to selectively turn off my height speakers based on input source. For instance have them on when watching a Blu-ray but have the 8801 treat it as if there are no height speakers when listening to a music source.

Is there any way to do this aside from manually changing the speaker setup? If I do it manually is there any way to store two sets of Audyssey calibration based on the speaker configuration?
You can store the playback method by source. For example, if you want your music source to always be stereo, but your Blu-Ray to always be Dolby Digital, just set those options and the 8801 will remember your preference.

There is, however, no way to store two Audyssey calibrations.
post #12918 of 12921 Old Today, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
You can store the playback method by source. For example, if you want your music source to always be stereo, but your Blu-Ray to always be Dolby Digital, just set those options and the 8801 will remember your preference.

There is, however, no way to store two Audyssey calibrations.
Thanks, but I don't think that's exactly what I'm looking for. I have to apologize because after rereading I see that my original post was not very clear. My 3 front speakers, 2 side surrounds and 2 rears are driven by a 7 channel amp. I have a 12 channel SpeakerCraft BB1265 multi-room amplifier. I bridge two pairs of channels to drive the height speakers. I don't think that they add much (if anything) to music and I hate running a separate amplifier for just those two speakers for music sources. So I was really wondering if there were anyway for the 8801 to think it is setup in a 7.x configuration rather than a 9.x configuration for music sources.
post #12919 of 12921 Old Today, 01:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcrone View Post
Thanks, but I don't think that's exactly what I'm looking for. I have to apologize because after rereading I see that my original post was not very clear. My 3 front speakers, 2 side surrounds and 2 rears are driven by a 7 channel amp. I have a 12 channel SpeakerCraft BB1265 multi-room amplifier. I bridge two pairs of channels to drive the height speakers. I don't think that they add much (if anything) to music and I hate running a separate amplifier for just those two speakers for music sources. So I was really wondering if there were anyway for the 8801 to think it is setup in a 7.x configuration rather than a 9.x configuration for music sources.
?? Turn off the other power amp??

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #12920 of 12921 Old Today, 01:44 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4730 Post(s)
Liked: 2476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Now that's what we call "thinking outside of the box."
Ou8thisSN likes this.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006
Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective? Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times.
post #12921 of 12921 Old Today, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
I've considered that but wouldn't it affect the EQ as the EQ was performed with the speakers there? Turning off the amp works. I can easily do that automatically using the trigger output for the amp. But the AV8801 still thinks those speakers are there.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page