Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread - Page 431 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #12901 of 12913 Unread 07-25-2015, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the info - and I'm glad I'm not going crazy...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12902 of 12913 Unread 07-25-2015, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread

Three quick questions (I tried to read the manual but it still doesn't work/ couldn't figure it out):

I want to use an Apple TV in the Theater room (Main Zone) and sometimes, independently use it in another bedroom (Zone 4). In zone 4, I want to be able to turn on the Unit using the iphone app, switch it to zone 4, with the Apple TV as the source, and send the video and sound to just that TV connected in the bedroom WITHOUT turning on the projector (main zone) or the monitor I have in the equipment closet (zone 2). Is this possible?

I am only ever going to have a 7.1 speaker set up in the theater room. is it possible to reassign two of the remaining XLR Pre-Outs to another zone? ie I want to use the marantz's DACs with in 2-channel setup in another room using XLR, not RCA connections. As far as I can tell, this isn't possible?

Finally, can I do a vertical picture shift without using the built-in scaler for anything else?

Last edited by Ou8thisSN; Yesterday at 12:48 AM.
post #12903 of 12913 Unread Yesterday, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
cables

Can I use xlr balanced interconnects for 5 speakers and a rca connection for the subwoofer on an 8801?
post #12904 of 12913 Unread Yesterday, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert555 View Post
Can I use xlr balanced interconnects for 5 speakers and a rca connection for the subwoofer on an 8801?
You sure can.

Speakers: Klipsch RF-7II(2), Klipsch RC-64II, Klipsch RS-62II(2), Velodyne HGS-15, HSU VTF-15H, Klipsch Cornwalls(2)
Prepro: Marantz AV8801
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5, Emotiva XPA-3(2)
OPPO BDP-103
JVC DLA-X3 (121" screen)
post #12905 of 12913 Unread Yesterday, 03:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert555 View Post
I do. I even use XLRs for 5 speakers, RCAs for the two height channels and RCAs for the two subs. All good.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #12906 of 12913 Unread Today, 02:22 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4721 Post(s)
Liked: 2472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN View Post
Three quick questions (I tried to read the manual but it still doesn't work/ couldn't figure it out):

I want to use an Apple TV in the Theater room (Main Zone) and sometimes, independently use it in another bedroom (Zone 4). In zone 4, I want to be able to turn on the Unit using the iphone app, switch it to zone 4, with the Apple TV as the source, and send the video and sound to just that TV connected in the bedroom WITHOUT turning on the projector (main zone) or the monitor I have in the equipment closet (zone 2). Is this possible?

I am only ever going to have a 7.1 speaker set up in the theater room. is it possible to reassign two of the remaining XLR Pre-Outs to another zone? ie I want to use the marantz's DACs with in 2-channel setup in another room using XLR, not RCA connections. As far as I can tell, this isn't possible?

Finally, can I do a vertical picture shift without using the built-in scaler for anything else?
1. Yes, it should be as that is the purpose of Zone 4.
2. Correct, reassigning of pre-outs is not possible unlike the Denon "flagship" AVR 4520CI of that same year which is able to reassign on board amps when external amps are being used.
3. Although the Picture Adjust settings can be changed without the i/p Scaler being enabled, there is no vertical picture shift setting.
Ou8thisSN likes this.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006
Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective? Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times.
post #12907 of 12913 Unread Today, 03:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 129
just got my 8801 set up over the weekend...still learning and experimenting

i have two main subs, hooked to sub1 and sub2...i've recently acquired a mid-bass sub that has xlr only inputs.

it would be great if i could use the xlr of sub1 or sub2 but that cant be done since i'm using rca's of those outputs already...

so my question is could i use an unused xlr (heights or wides) since it's MID-BASS only? those do receive a full-range signal, yes...?

or am i better to just put a splitter on sub1 and use sub2 for the mid-bass...?

at the zenith of his nadir...
post #12908 of 12913 Unread Today, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I currently have my subwoofer connected via RCA. XLR cables are expensive and I know it's the best connection possible but is it really worth it for a subwoofer, not a regular speaker?
post #12909 of 12913 Unread Today, 07:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4819 Post(s)
Liked: 3525
Quote:
I currently have my subwoofer connected via RCA. XLR cables are expensive and I know it's the best connection possible but is it really worth it for a subwoofer, not a regular speaker?
It's important to understand that there are no sonic differences between XLR and RCA connectors.

XLR are better at noise rejection, so if you have long cable runs and the signal and mains cables run parallel to each other, then XLR can be a better choice. But only if you have any noise issues. If you don't, then the XLR cable won’t bring any benefits.

The XLR connector itself is favored by some as being mechanically superior, but decent RCA cables also make a good connection IME.

XLR output is 6dB higher than RCA and this can be a blessing, a curse, or neither, depending on the rest of your setup.

In short, there is no reason inherent in the differences between XLR and RCA as to why either should be more, or less, suitable for your subwoofer connection, so use whichever you feel most comfortable with.
post #12910 of 12913 Unread Today, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
XLR are better at noise rejection, so if you have long cable runs and the signal and mains cables run parallel to each other, then XLR can be a better choice.
That's a very good explanation, thank you. One question, by 'mains cables' do you mean the actual speaker wire connecting the amp to the speaker?
post #12911 of 12913 Unread Today, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
That's a very good explanation, thank you. One question, by 'mains cables' do you mean the actual speaker wire connecting the amp to the speaker?
No, "mains" means electric power. The reference is to preventing 60 Hz hum which can occur when power cables parallel signal cables.
post #12912 of 12913 Unread Today, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

When I was first configuring the unit, I got two "firmware update available" notices. I did not update the firmware but now I dont get anymore notices and says this: 3525-8853-5465 is my current firmware. Is this still the latest firmware?
post #12913 of 12913 Unread Today, 08:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2921 Post(s)
Liked: 1561
Quote:
When I was first configuring the unit, I got two "firmware update available" notices. I did not update the firmware but now I dont get anymore notices and says this: 3525-8853-5465 is my current firmware. Is this still the latest firmware?
Yes, that is the current version.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread