Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread - Page 432 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #12931 of 12938 Old 07-28-2015, 08:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcrone View Post
Got it. Thanks. I'm beginning to think that it I should just use the front height speakers all the time.
Instead of turning them off, why not just choose an audio mode that doesn't use them.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12932 of 12938 Old Yesterday, 03:10 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4773 Post(s)
Liked: 2495
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcrone View Post
Why would that turn off Audyssey? Is it because I'd be running Audyssey and then removing two speakers - using a different configuration than when Audyssey was run.
It won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Yup. When you change the speaker configuration, Audyssey usually bows out unless you run another calibration.
Note that simply setting a speaker to None should not turn off Audyssey as would changing the AMP ASSIGN setting.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006
Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective? Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times.
post #12933 of 12938 Old Yesterday, 07:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Note that simply setting a speaker to None should not turn off Audyssey as would changing the AMP ASSIGN setting.
If you say so. I vaguely recall some issues with that but I have not tried it in quite some time.

I do wonder why the OP cannot simply avoid modes that use the height channels.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #12934 of 12938 Old Yesterday, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
If you say so. I vaguely recall some issues with that but I have not tried it in quite some time.

I do wonder why the OP cannot simply avoid modes that use the height channels.
Perhaps I need to think this through some more. The height channels are driven by the SpeakerCraft amp which sucks some power and gets fairly hot. The amp is brought out of STANDBY using one of the 8801's triggers. Avoiding modes that use the height channels will kill the height channel outputs of the 8801 but the trigger will still turn on the amp... unless I use the amp's auto sensing instead of the trigger input. Duh!!! I'll give this a try.
post #12935 of 12938 Old Yesterday, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Do height and wide matrixed channels really add anything? I've never been a fan of extra DSP. If it isnt discrete, I dont mess with it, am I missing out?
post #12936 of 12938 Old Yesterday, 08:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2945 Post(s)
Liked: 1579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN View Post
Do height and wide matrixed channels really add anything? I've never been a fan of extra DSP. If it isnt discrete, I dont mess with it, am I missing out?
It is purely personal preference. I was running a full 11.1 configuration prior to implementing Dirac Live with a MiniDSP DDRC-88A, which is a 7.1 solution. For action movies, the extra channels would provide some improvement in the experience. For music, I never used the extra channels. Since down-sizing to a 7.1 configuration, I have never for a moment missed the Heights or Wide speakers.
post #12937 of 12938 Old Yesterday, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN View Post
I do find that the height speakers add something when playing the right source material. I watched some scenes that occur during the final battle of the Avengers movie with and without the height speakers and it expanded the audio vertically. With that said it would not be that big a deal if I did not have those channels.

According to Audyssey the front wide channels make more of a difference in the sound, but I don't have those setup.
post #12938 of 12938 Unread Today, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
It's important to understand that there are no sonic differences between XLR and RCA connectors.

XLR are better at noise rejection, so if you have long cable runs and the signal and mains cables run parallel to each other, then XLR can be a better choice. But only if you have any noise issues. If you don't, then the XLR cable won’t bring any benefits.

The XLR connector itself is favored by some as being mechanically superior, but decent RCA cables also make a good connection IME.

XLR output is 6dB higher than RCA and this can be a blessing, a curse, or neither, depending on the rest of your setup.

In short, there is no reason inherent in the differences between XLR and RCA as to why either should be more, or less, suitable for your subwoofer connection, so use whichever you feel most comfortable with.
does this change if the XLR's are "fully balanced"....as in the ultra high end equipment?
I say this..because I have not seen a pre/pro under $11-12K that has fully balanced XLR's

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Pioneer SC77 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page