Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread - Page 433 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 281Likes

Old 08-05-2015, 08:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthandluke View Post
really...?

so let me get this straight...

i can have a sub hooked up via an rca on sub2...AND another sub hooked via xlr on sub2 as well...and BOTH subs should receive a signal?
you don't want to do that, you need to be able to control the signal on each sub, it will confuse Audyssey

- Glen -

Glen Carter<br />
Home Theater Calibration<br />
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2015, 08:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Quoted: 5003 Post(s)
Liked: 2808
Quote:
really...?

so let me get this straight...

i can have a sub hooked up via an rca on sub2...AND another sub hooked via xlr on sub2 as well...and BOTH subs should receive a signal?
Yes, that is correct. Both will receive the same signal. Although I don't know why you would want to do that. Did you try the test tones like I recommended?
Old 08-05-2015, 08:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenC View Post
you don't want to do that, you need to be able to control the signal on each sub, it will confuse Audyssey

- Glen -
If he hooked things up the way he described, it would be no different than hooking up two subs to one RCA connection using a Y-cable. This was an academic question. Normally, one would use both the sub1 and the sub2 outputs on an AVR with XT32.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
If he hooked things up the way he described, it would be no different than hooking up two subs to one RCA connection using a Y-cable. This was an academic question. Normally, one would use both the sub1 and the sub2 outputs on an AVR with XT32.
Agreed, but the room acoustic responses will probably differ and performance would suffer.

Glen Carter<br />
Home Theater Calibration<br />
Old 08-05-2015, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Yes, that is correct. Both will receive the same signal. Although I don't know why you would want to do that. Did you try the test tones like I recommended?
i have two subs with rca inputs...

i recently acquired another sub with xlr inputs ONLY...

i simply wanted to see if i could integrate the three subs...

at the zenith of his nadir...
Old 08-05-2015, 08:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
i have two subs with rca inputs...

i recently acquired another sub with xlr inputs ONLY...

i simply wanted to see if i could integrate the three subs...
Luke, did you try the test tones like I recommended???
Old 08-05-2015, 09:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenC View Post
Agreed, but the room acoustic responses will probably differ and performance would suffer.
Glen, I don't know what you are talking about. When you hook up two subs to each of the two sub outputs and calibrate them using XT32, Audyssey sets levels and delays for each sub independently, but then calibrates the subs as one.

There is nothing wrong with hooking both subs to the same output and using an external device, like the MiniDSP 2x4, to set the individual sub delays and levels. I do this myself, and the procedure is described in the document linked in my sig.

Does performance suffer? Not according to my REW measurements. So you can't generalize--different setups are configured differently.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Luke, did you try the test tones like I recommended???
i connected two subs on sub1 via rca and y-cable...

connected other sub on sub2 via xlr...

when i ran audyssey it recognized the subs on sub1 via rca's...

did NOT recognize sub on sub2 hooked via xlr...

at that point i terminated the audyssey setup...

Old 08-05-2015, 09:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
i connected two subs on sub1 via rca and y-cable...

connected other sub on sub2 via xlr...

when i ran audyssey it recognized the subs on sub1 via rca's...

did NOT recognize sub on sub2 hooked via xlr...

at that point i terminated the audyssey setup...
I asked you twice if you had tried the test tones like I described in an earlier post. This is the second time that you completely ignored my question and advice. I am finished. Good luck.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I asked you twice if you had tried the test tones like I described in an earlier post. This is the second time that you completely ignored my question and advice. I am finished. Good luck.

jerry...

believe me the LAST thing i want to do is antagonize the person who is most trying to help me...

i thought my answers to your questions were succinct but obviously i missed something somewhere...

it is 12:30 here and i am tired...i am off to bed

hopefully i can do better tomorrow if you are still willing...

Old 08-06-2015, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
jerry...

believe me the LAST thing i want to do is antagonize the person who is most trying to help me...

i thought my answers to your questions were succinct but obviously i missed something somewhere...

it is 12:30 here and i am tired...i am off to bed

hopefully i can do better tomorrow if you are still willing...
Re-read post 12959 for the suggested solution, which requires you to toggle test tones between Sub1 and Sub2. Good luck!

Last edited by erhurd; 08-06-2015 at 05:25 AM.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhurd View Post
Re-read post 12959 for the suggested solution, which requires you to toggle test tones between Sub1 and Sub2. Good luck!
Yes, the sub test tones are what you need to trouble-shoot the issue.

1. Plug the sub with XLR connection into the sub1 connection. Output the sub test tone for sub1. If the sub plays, then the sub and cable are OK. If not, something is wrong with the sub or the cable.
2. Move the XLR sub to the sub2 connection and repeat the test. If the sub worked on sub1, then it should work on sub2. If not, we need to figure out why.
3. Plug the RCA subs into the sub1 connection and output the test tone. The subs should work.

Report results.

If all else fails, try your right hand...
Old 08-06-2015, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

well, i think the issue is the sub...

i've tried 2 different cables on 3 different xlr outputs (sub1 and sub2 AND center)...sub won't make a peep with manual test tones or audyssey...

it's kinda odd tho...the "signal" indicator on the sub goes from completely out to gradually brighter as i turn up the gain knob...flickers feebly until turned to maximum (still no sound tho), as tho the signal is very weak.

my "main" subs on sub1 and sub2 rca's work just fine...

sub is under warranty so not the end of the world...

thanks to all who advised me, especially Jerry...

Old 08-06-2015, 10:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
well, i think the issue is the sub...

i've tried 2 different cables on 3 different xlr outputs (sub1 and sub2 AND center)...sub won't make a peep with manual test tones or audyssey...

it's kinda odd tho...the "signal" indicator on the sub goes from completely out to gradually brighter as i turn up the gain knob...flickers feebly until turned to maximum (still no sound tho), as tho the signal is very weak.

my "main" subs on sub1 and sub2 rca's work just fine...

sub is under warranty so not the end of the world...

thanks to all who advised me, especially Jerry...
OK, you are making progress!
Old 08-08-2015, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 27
So yesterday was a complete nightmare. I wanted to watch a movie and no matter what HDMI out i tried, my displays kept saying 'no signal'. at first I was able to get the display to show video if I pushed the 'setup' button, but after a few tries, even that stopped working. Eventually I had to do a microprocessor reset and that got everything to work, however the OSD no longer shows on one of the inputs. wtf? it's enabled in the settings but if i change the volume, i see no on screen display of it. The OSD works fine if the input signal is gone, or if I switch to another input.

I only have two devices plugged in: a computer running windows 7 for Plex and Windows Media Center on "Cable / Sat" and a Blu-ray player on "blu-ray".

My unit is only about 3 weeks old and this is my first experience with a HDMI switching HD audio decoding AVP. I have had a cheap Pioneer Elite in my bedroom that is also basically connected to the exact same computer and it has never, ever given me any problems requiring a hard reset. So, did I get a lemon? Should I be freaking out about this?
Old 08-08-2015, 08:22 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9367 Post(s)
Liked: 4333
^^
Could be a defective HDMI input. Ensure the "Video Conversion" setting for that HDMI input is enabled. Otherwise, as you only have 2 HDMI sources with plenty of additional HDMI inputs, you do have a work around it appears.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atl Tech, SVS, Oppo

Think you have a defective AVR? Owner's manual - Factory reset 4-5 times in a row.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Parasound a51

I just purchased a parasound a51 amp and am having a hook up problem. The dc trigger connector is 2.5 mm on the parasound side and 3.5 mm on the marantz 8801 side. Has anyone run into this and what is the solution? Thanks.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:09 AM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert555 View Post
I just purchased a parasound a51 amp and am having a hook up problem. The dc trigger connector is 2.5 mm on the parasound side and 3.5 mm on the marantz 8801 side. Has anyone run into this and what is the solution? Thanks.
You can get a 3.5 mm female to 2.5 mm male adapter:

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-1071...3.5+mm+adapter

- Rich

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Emotiva XMC-1 | Oppo PM-1 | ATI Signature AT6002 x 2 + AT6006 | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Velodyne HGS-15
Old 08-08-2015, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
Could be a defective HDMI input. Ensure the "Video Conversion" setting for that HDMI input is enabled. Otherwise, as you only have 2 HDMI sources with plenty of additional HDMI inputs, you do have a work around it appears.
Moving the computer from "Cable / Sat" to "Media Player" fixed it. The OSD is back. But I'm still concerned about a 'bad' HDMI input. Is that a symptom of bigger problems down the road? should I look to get it exchanged?
Old 08-08-2015, 11:55 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN View Post
Moving the computer from "Cable / Sat" to "Media Player" fixed it. The OSD is back. But I'm still concerned about a 'bad' HDMI input. Is that a symptom of bigger problems down the road? should I look to get it exchanged?
Did you confirm the "Video Conversion" is enabled for the CBL/SAT source? If yes, you could try doing a factor reset (p. 186 Owner's manual) and if still no joy, then just exchange it.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atl Tech, SVS, Oppo

Think you have a defective AVR? Owner's manual - Factory reset 4-5 times in a row.
Old 08-08-2015, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Did you confirm the "Video Conversion" is enabled for the CBL/SAT source? If yes, you could try doing a factor reset (p. 186 Owner's manual) and if still no joy, then just exchange it.

you were right again. I had turned off "Video Conversion" and the "I/P scaler". Both were on, for the "media player" input, and that's why I was able to see the OSD on that input. I didn't know that the Video scaler settings were specific for each video input. I had turned off all the Video conversion settings because I didn't want the AVR to do anything to the video signal, but I also like seeing the volume on my screen. Does leaving "video conversion" on but turning "I/P scaler' off affect the video signal passing through the AVP?
Old 08-08-2015, 01:34 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN View Post
you were right again. I had turned off "Video Conversion" and the "I/P scaler". Both were on, for the "media player" input, and that's why I was able to see the OSD on that input. I didn't know that the Video scaler settings were specific for each video input. I had turned off all the Video conversion settings because I didn't want the AVR to do anything to the video signal, but I also like seeing the volume on my screen. Does leaving "video conversion" on but turning "I/P scaler' off affect the video signal passing through the AVP?
Much less so then leaving i/p Scaler set to ON but will still allow overlay of GUI on video source.

------------

Old 08-08-2015, 02:50 PM

Lost Blue Ray Audio

Well Im stuck again. New amp with XLR cables instead of RCA. TV works fine for video and audio.
Unfortunately not so with Oppo 103. I have it set to split with video going direct to tv via hdmi ( Works fine) and audio going to Marantz 8801 via hdmi. No audio.
Any suggestions?
Old 08-08-2015, 04:00 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Well Im stuck again. New amp with XLR cables instead of RCA. TV works fine for video and audio.
Unfortunately not so with Oppo 103. I have it set to split with video going direct to tv via hdmi ( Works fine) and audio going to Marantz 8801 via hdmi. No audio.
Any suggestions?
Have you rerun Audyssey yet? Try unplugging the power cord to the AV8801 for 10 minutes. Also try connecting to the other HDMI inputs to see if one works better for you. Otherwise, if still no joy, you may have to factory reset the AV8801 but save the config file to a PC prior to doing the reset if you have run Audyssey again already.

------------

Old 08-08-2015, 04:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Any suggestions?
On the Oppo, for the "Dual HDMI Output", do you have it set to "Split A/V"?
Old 08-08-2015, 07:30 PM

Yes to split a/v no to rerun odessey, ill do that tomorrow and let you know the results.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Yes to split a/v no to rerun odessey, ill do that tomorrow and let you know the results.
Not sure what re-running Audyssey accomplishes. I would save the configuration using Network Save, and then do a microprocessor reset. This will give you a much quicker result than the time it takes to run an Audyssey calibration.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:02 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Not sure what re-running Audyssey accomplishes. I would save the configuration using Network Save, and then do a microprocessor reset. This will give you a much quicker result than the time it takes to run an Audyssey calibration.
Although running Audyssey has nothing to do with his issue, anytime there has been an amp change, Audyssey should be run again.

------------

Old 08-09-2015, 12:04 PM

Well problem solved. After 6 hours of messing I discovered the 2 HDMI cables out of the Oppo 103 were reversed at the Oppo side. OYY VEY. Everything is perfect now. Thanks for the help.
Thanks JD the Parasound a51 you sold me sounds fantastic.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:50 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Well problem solved. After 6 hours of messing I discovered the 2 HDMI cables out of the Oppo 103 were reversed at the Oppo side. OYY VEY. Everything is perfect now. Thanks for the help.
Thanks JD the Parasound a51 you sold me sounds fantastic.
Excellent. Time to sit back ... have a cold one .... and enjoy the music.

------------

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra