Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread - Page 439 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 282Likes

post #13141 of 13433 Old 10-18-2015, 12:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5472 Post(s)
Liked: 3133
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoutsos View Post
OK, to be fair, I can definitely tell the difference between Amarra and Audirvana (via TOSLINK) in my system, so there must be something more than just bits sent to the AV8801. As I said, it could have been a very subjective opinion that was heavily influenced by my mood at the time (and the fact that 2yo son was talking and playing around the living room). I will try again, comparing it this time to the ethernet streaming. However, previously such A/B tests, switching frequently between A and B, were inconclusive. I think that the overall feeling that the same music is now unexciting is what I am talking about.

Cheers,
Aris.
Just to be clear, I am not claiming that 320Kbs streaming music sounds as good as lossless files streamed from my local NAS. I was only stating that both sound pretty good to me. I also stream lossless FLAC files from a music service called Deezer (1,440Kbs?), and the sound quality there is as good as lossless from the NAS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13142 of 13433 Old 10-18-2015, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2000 View Post
CrazyRiderR1 Wrote,

I don't wish to burst your bubble before the ite even arrives but... I upgraded from the Av-8003 to the 8801 specifically for this feature of being able to playback multiple audio formats something the 8003 could not do. What I did not realize however is that the 8801 will play back multiple audio formats yes but without album art. I cannot get the 8801 to display metadata for any audio format and I have tried two different 8801's. I purchased mine in November 2014 and still kick Marantz tech every so often but I have actually given up on ever seeing album art through the 8801.

As for how is the software on the 8801 it is the same as the 8003 and it is clunky and slow to use and navigate through. With the addition of Tidal music service now available on my Oppo it is the input of choice as it plays back CD quality sound is very user friendly and will categorize and display album art. It is unfortunate for sure but this works well for me and maybe for you as well.

I dealt with Marantz on this issue for well over 7 months and their "help" is only if you have nothing better to do with your time, believe me.
I'm just trying to figure out why this is an issue?
post #13143 of 13433 Old 10-19-2015, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by btran33 View Post
Just want to report a weird problem with my AV8801. Yesterday, I couldn't get any picture out of the HDMI output-1 or output-2, doing the usual basic troubleshoot such as: swap out HDMI cable, power off and on, reset the processor chip back to manufacture setting a few times, let it sat for a few hours without power etc, with no success. After confirmed that the TV (Panasonic S60) is working fine by direct plugging the bluray to the TV, bypassed the AV8801, I called Marantz customers service and drove two hours to the nearest authorized service center for the warranty repair as they told me the HDMI board is probably smoked. Anyway, the service center just called me back and told me...THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH YOUR PROCESSOR, YOU IDIOT! OK, they didn't say idiot, but it was there in his tone! I swear, I'm not the type of people who likes to just driving four back and forth hours for fun and I have done all the troubleshoots. The service center told me they will let the processor stays on for 24 hrs to see if the problem would creeps up, if yes the they will replace the HDMI board; if not, I have to pay for the diagnostics!

Did anyone has this problem?

Thanks,
BT
OK, Just want to give everyone an update on my problems with the AV8801. The service center returned my AV8801 after replaced the HDMI board due to no output from HDMI out.

The Good is the HDMI out is working again, the Bad is now I have audio problems. There are two problems:

1) the audio is randomly cutting in and out for just a second and it's very random. I can't reproduce the problem when playing the same part of the music or movie and doesn't depending on input or source.

2) I have a 11.2 set up in my home theater and the Front Wide Left (FWL) speaker has very annoying static noise comes out, like bad radio signal static,not speaker hiss or hum. This static only happens during Audyssey set up and when I engage DTS NeoX or Audyssey DSX 11.2, which would utilized the Front Wide speakers. I have spent a whole weekend troubleshoot, switching out cables, speakers, amplifier and use the RCA input instate of the XRL input, reset microchip, moved the Preamp to a diff. location without success.

Just contacted the service center again, I has never been so frustration with any of the AV equipments like this one as it's so complex to set up and troubleshoot all the diff. scenarios.
post #13144 of 13433 Old 10-20-2015, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Has anyone found the following statement by Robert Kozel of hometheaterhifi.com to be true?
"I found that Dynamic EQ overly compressed the sound for my tastes unless I properly adjusted the Reference Level Offset."

He also said:
"When it came to Audyssey Dynamic EQ, I almost always preferred to turn this off when listening to music."

I have followed his advice recently and turned DEQ OFF for music, but I wanted to know whether people feel the same. It sounds OK, but the reduction in bass is evident compared to my previous setting: i.e. DEQ ON and Ref.Offset -15db.

Cheers,
Aris.
post #13145 of 13433 Old 10-20-2015, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoutsos View Post
Has anyone found the following statement by Robert Kozel of hometheaterhifi.com to be true?
"I found that Dynamic EQ overly compressed the sound for my tastes unless I properly adjusted the Reference Level Offset."
Yes. It was compressed, bloated with excessive bass.

Quote:
He also said:
"When it came to Audyssey Dynamic EQ, I almost always preferred to turn this off when listening to music."
Me, too. Works nicely for live sports events, imho.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #13146 of 13433 Old 10-20-2015, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Yes. It was compressed, bloated with excessive bass.

Me, too. Works nicely for live sports events, imho.
Ummm, my reading comprehension isn't what it used to be. Please bear with me.

Specifically, what works nicely?

EQ off for music? EQ off for live sporting events?

EQ on ever? Reference offset adjustment set to?

Thanks.

Marantz 8801 Arcam P1000 Oppo 95 SystemDek IIX turntable ATC SCM 19 V2's (L&R) B&W LCR6 (center and heights) B&W in ceiling surround speakers Velodyne SPL-10 Subs (2) Sony xbr65x850a
post #13147 of 13433 Old 10-21-2015, 04:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
Ummm, my reading comprehension isn't what it used to be. Please bear with me.

Specifically, what works nicely?

EQ off for music? EQ off for live sporting events?

EQ on ever? Reference offset adjustment set to?

Thanks.
This works for me: DEQ ON for live sporting events. DEQ OFF for music and everything else.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #13148 of 13433 Old 10-21-2015, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally posted by Yellow C4S

Quote:
I'm just trying to figure out why this is an issue?
The reason I upgraded to the 8801 was to get a better faster more complete experience when using the network features, I did not get any of that from the upgrade.
When I listen to media I appreciate the complete experience of being able to see and hear what I am listening to is the complete experience for me, but maybe not for you.
Maybe, you don't mind viewing a televised event and only getting to hear the ball movements and listen to the crowd noise but not see any video content.
The 8801 will not pass video through the network either, the controller is as basic as and slow as they come , but maybe these are not issues for you.
post #13149 of 13433 Old 10-21-2015, 05:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Quoted: 5472 Post(s)
Liked: 3133
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2000 View Post
Quote:
Originally posted by Yellow C4S

The reason I upgraded to the 8801 was to get a better faster more complete experience when using the network features, I did not get any of that from the upgrade.
When I listen to media I appreciate the complete experience of being able to see and hear what I am listening to is the complete experience for me, but maybe not for you.
Maybe, you don't mind viewing a televised event and only getting to hear the ball movements and listen to the crowd noise but not see any video content.
The 8801 will not pass video through the network either, the controller is as basic as and slow as they come , but maybe these are not issues for you.
I don't doubt that you want better networking features. However, I am not sure why you expected to get that with an AVR upgrade. If you had read reviews of the 8801, or similar AVR's like the Denon 4520, you would have seen that these AVR's have rudimentary networking capabilities at best. To get state of the art capabilities, you need to get an external device, like an AppleTV for video streaming, or a Sonos for audio streaming, for example.
post #13150 of 13433 Old 10-21-2015, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I don't doubt that you want better networking features. However, I am not sure why you expected to get that with an AVR upgrade. If you had read reviews of the 8801, or similar AVR's like the Denon 4520, you would have seen that these AVR's have rudimentary networking capabilities at best. To get state of the art capabilities, you need to get an external device, like an AppleTV for video streaming, or a Sonos for audio streaming, for example.
Austin Jerry,

Not sure what you refer to about Networking features.... My 8801 works great with my Mini Mac and the Internet. I can stream all my ripped music from my Mini Mac and still bring up my computer on the XBR screen for a 75" computer monitor! I do get the Netflix feature on my Oppo 105 though so I get the audio codecs I want when watching Netflix. I upgraded to the 8801 to pass the 4K that my previous controller was too old for. Getting the Audyssey XT32 for room correction is just a bonus...

Cheers!

Sony XBR75X940D | Marantz AV8801 | SunFire Cinema Grand 5-Chan. | 5.2 system w/ 5 Monitor Audio Gold 2 Velodyne HGS 12's | Oppo BDP 105 | MAC Mini for Streaming, View on the XBR | Harmony Ultimate Remote | DDRC-88A| Comcast Internet 90Mb's | 2 Dedicated 20 AMP circuits. | Apple TV4 | Cans: Sennheiser HD 650 + Sennheiser HD 800S | Oppo HA-1 DAC/HEADPHONE AMP |
post #13151 of 13433 Old 10-21-2015, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread

I just ordered the marantz av8801 from Amazon to replace my current anthem mrx700 receiver which I've been using as a pre/pro.

Do you guys think the 8801 being in between the 105D and an emotiva XPR 5 amp would make a good match?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #13152 of 13433 Old 10-22-2015, 12:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1515 Post(s)
Liked: 1487
Quote:
Originally Posted by romavictor View Post
I just ordered the marantz av8801 from Amazon to replace my current anthem mrx700 receiver which I've been using as a pre/pro.

Do you guys think the 8801 being in between the 105D and an emotiva XPR 5 amp would make a good match?

Should be a great match
romavictor, WLGeter and LarryMagoo like this.
post #13153 of 13433 Old 10-22-2015, 01:12 AM

I'll be receiving the 8801 today and will be setting it up Friday/Saturday.

I'm thinking of letting the Oppo 105D do all the surround audio processing and sending the audio signal to the AV 8801 via analog outputs.

Is there an advantage to that method compared to allowing the marantz to do the work?

Will Audessey eqxt32 still engage if it's receiving analog signals from the Oppo?

post #13154 of 13433 Old 10-22-2015, 01:25 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10318 Post(s)
Liked: 4777
Quote:

I'm thinking of letting the Oppo 105D do all the surround audio processing and sending the audio signal to the AV 8801 via analog outputs.

Is there an advantage to that method compared to allowing the marantz to do the work?

Will Audessey eqxt32 still engage if it's receiving analog signals from the Oppo?

Audyssey is disabled when using the multi analog inputs which is why most prefer to use HDMI from the Oppo.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Authorized dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, SVS, Oppo

Ask me how to get a FREE HEOS 1 HS2 wireless/Bluetooth speaker.
post #13155 of 13433 Old 10-22-2015, 01:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1515 Post(s)
Liked: 1487
Quote:

With the 8801/Oppo 105 you can pretty much have it all, just use the 7.1 inputs on the 8801(no Audyssey can be used ) to use the Oppo and send an HDMI cable for the 8801 to do the processing with or without Audyssey. When I ran this setup I used the 8801 for movies and the Oppo 105 with its XLR outs to the 8801 for 2/ch, I did at one point use the 7.1 outs but liked the 8801 better for movies and multi/ch sacd
post #13156 of 13433 Old 10-22-2015, 01:45 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
With the 8801/Oppo 105 you can pretty much have it all, just use the 7.1 inputs on the 8801(no Audyssey can be used ) to use the Oppo and send an HDMI cable for the 8801 to do the processing with or without Audyssey. When I ran this setup I used the 8801 for movies and the Oppo 105 with its XLR outs to the 8801 for 2/ch, I did at one point use the 7.1 outs but liked the 8801 better for movies and multi/ch sacd

So basically forget the analog inputs on the 8801 and go with hdmi?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #13157 of 13433 Old 10-22-2015, 01:47 AM

What about video? Do I send it directly to the TV from the Oppo or should I pass it thru the 8801?

post #13158 of 13433 Old 10-22-2015, 01:52 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanly.joseph View Post
So basically forget the analog inputs on the 8801 and go with hdmi?

Not necessarily no, rather you want to personally try both methods and determine which you personally prefer. Some prefer going multi analog for music listening only and HDMI for movies/TV.

Quote:
What about video? Do I send it directly to the TV from the Oppo or should I pass it thru the 8801?

Again, best to give it a try both ways to see which you prefer, although much easier to let the AV8801 do the HDMI switching with the HDMI connected to the AV8801.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Authorized dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, SVS, Oppo

post #13159 of 13433 Old 10-22-2015, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Not necessarily no, rather you want to personally try both methods and determine which you personally prefer. Some prefer going multi analog for music listening only and HDMI for movies/TV.

Definitely!! I'm already using the XLR outputs on the Oppo to my dedicated stereo pre-amp.

audiofan1 likes this.
post #13160 of 13433 Old 10-23-2015, 09:14 PM

Hey guys

So I set up the 8801 today, hooked up to the XPR 5 via XLR cables, Oppo 105D to the 8801 via hdmi, ran Audyssey etc etc

Audyssey set all my speakers to large plus the SW. Crossover is set to full range for all speakers.

I'm watching the movie Tomorrow Land and everything sounds pretty sweet except the bass feels somewhat boomy/muddy.

Is there something I can do to improve the bass response? Thanks in advance

post #13161 of 13433 Old 10-24-2015, 01:46 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Hey guys

So I set up the 8801 today, hooked up to the XPR 5 via XLR cables, Oppo 105D to the 8801 via hdmi, ran Audyssey etc etc

Audyssey set all my speakers to large plus the SW. Crossover is set to full range for all speakers.

I'm watching the movie Tomorrow Land and everything sounds pretty sweet except the bass feels somewhat boomy/muddy.

Is there something I can do to improve the bass response? Thanks in advance

Try lowering the LFE frequency cut off. See "UPDATED VIEWPOINT" in section C )5. of the FAQ in the below link.

"Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779)

Last edited by EZ-Rhino; 10-24-2015 at 01:50 AM.
post #13162 of 13433 Old 10-24-2015, 02:54 AM

Anybody knows how to set the 8801 so it passes the video content from the Oppo to the tv via hdmi without messing with the data? Meaning no video enhancement added.

post #13163 of 13433 Old 10-24-2015, 03:00 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Anybody knows how to set the 8801 so it passes the video content from the Oppo to the tv via hdmi without messing with the data? Meaning no video enhancement added.

Set the "i/p Scaler" setting to OFF. For further reduction in processing, you can set the "Video Conversion" setting to OFF as well, although doing so will also remove the capability to overlay the GUI/volume on the source video, rather only on a black screen.
romavictor likes this.

------------

post #13164 of 13433 Old 10-24-2015, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Is there something I can do to improve the bass response?
Yes. Set the speakers to small with appropriate crossovers so that the bass is rerouted to the sub.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #13165 of 13433 Old 10-24-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Yes. Set the speakers to small with appropriate crossovers so that the bass is rerouted to the sub.

What would be appropriate Kal? 80hz?

post #13166 of 13433 Old 10-24-2015, 03:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
What would be appropriate Kal? 80hz?

I do not know what speakers you have but 80Hz is a generic starting point with quality speakers.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #13167 of 13433 Old 10-24-2015, 11:28 PM

I have 803D's for the mains
804's for the surrounds
And cmc2 centers

post #13168 of 13433 Old 10-25-2015, 07:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I have 803D's for the mains
804's for the surrounds
And cmc2 centers
I'd suggest 60-80Hz for them but optimization would depend on the room placement and acoustics.

I use 40Hz on my 800D2s and 60Hz on my 804Ds.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #13169 of 13433 Old 11-02-2015, 06:00 PM

just got 8801 today and OSD is not working. I am HDMI out to Panasonic TCP-65VT25

Panasonic TCP-65VT25, Denon AVP-A1HDCI (on the fritz and looking to replace), Denon POA-A1HDCI, B&W 802D, B&W HTM2D, B&W DS8, JL Audio Fathom F113, Oppo BDP-83SE
Bedrom: Panasonic TCP-58VT25, Denon AVR-5308, B&W LM1, Sunfire HT12, Oppo BDP-83SE
Guestroom: Panasonic TCP-42, Denon AVR-1911, B&W LM1, B&W ASW8, Oppo BDP-83
post #13170 of 13433 Old 11-02-2015, 06:34 PM

Never mind. This **** requires patience that I don't have. Sending the damn thing back tomorrow.

Panasonic TCP-65VT25, Denon AVP-A1HDCI (on the fritz and looking to replace), Denon POA-A1HDCI, B&W 802D, B&W HTM2D, B&W DS8, JL Audio Fathom F113, Oppo BDP-83SE
Bedrom: Panasonic TCP-58VT25, Denon AVR-5308, B&W LM1, Sunfire HT12, Oppo BDP-83SE
Guestroom: Panasonic TCP-42, Denon AVR-1911, B&W LM1, B&W ASW8, Oppo BDP-83
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page