Old 12-29-2012, 10:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

It is interesting how many touted the 4311 as a great prepro but now so many saying how much better the 8801 is for SQ. I am not yet a big Audyssey fan for music but am interested in how good the DACs and analog section are for music, not movies. Has anybody compared some of the key competition on the music end?

From the rip, when the 4311CI came out, (I pre-ordered), I hated by the sharp bright sound mine produced in music. Check my post history. SQ wise, the 8801 is better. No placebo over here.

HTPC/Gaming Rig:
Silverstone CW02B, I7 3930K, 16GB, ASUS Rampage IV Formula
EVGA Signature Titan> 70 inch ELITE PRO-70X5FD
Auzen HDMI XFi> 7.2 via Marantz AV8801>Wyred4Sound, & Emotiva Amps>Paradigm 100'sV5, ADP590'sV5, 690v5, 20v5's, + Dual HSU-ULS15 Subs

Controlling: Two CX7000ES's via MyMovies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosano View Post

Well my baby finally ariived....so now I have to find the time to start playng ! I will aslo take the opportunity to do a major clean up with wiring and getting rid of stuff I really don't need anymore like a tuner etc....I haven't been back there for so long ! Now I will put my Lex MC12 HD for sale.....its fully loaded and I even have the mic kit....wonder what its worth.

Congrats Rosano! You're the first guy in Montreal that I know to own one. Please give us your impressions on the 8801 vs the Lex.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian13 View Post

was just wandering if anyone would know if the 4K upscaling on the AV8801 would have a noticeable difference when upscaling SDVD's compared to units like the AV7005 that upscale SDVD's to 1080P?

Would anybody who owns the AV8801 have an answer for the above question?
Wanting to get some idea what the 4K upscaling is like.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:43 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2285 Post(s)
Liked: 1831
Unless you have a 4k TV which is at least 80"+ ... this feature won't matter, as your 1080p TV will only display at 1080p.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 12-30-2012, 06:24 AM

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

Someone mentioned that the unit is already on sale. I think that individual meant the combo deal, not the AV8801 itself. If it's on sale somewhere, I would like to know!

Call Robert at Value Electronics 800 789 5050 for a smoking deal!

David Ferebee
Old 12-30-2012, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Get good cables regardless of price! I use Morrow audio's MA3 & MA4 balanced cables and also AudioQuest Columbia rca and balanced and yes balanced in my setup does sound better, if you have to spend more for a better sounding cable then you have to spend more for a better sounding cable! $3599 on your pre should say enough! You wouldn'd buy a BMW M5 and put wagon wheels on it ! oh yeah! it can get the job done but how do they handle that raw power on tight turns?tongue.gif

I believe you are wasting your money. As an Electrical Engineer, with experience selling these cables in the consumer electronics industry, I can say with some confidence that you are paying for marketing and aesthetics, not R&D. Rather than taking this thread off course in a big debate about the merits of high end cables, I will leave it at that and not respond any further. Buy your cables based on the electrical specifications (conductivity, gauge, etc) and price per foot. Enjoy your 8801's everybody, mine is still on its way!

AI Limited
Old 12-30-2012, 10:28 AM
DHF

Liked: 21
^^^
+1
Old 12-30-2012, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Loving this receiver! The sound is so enveloping. The detail is incredible from my speakers. Not sure I even need new speakers anymore.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
exm
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Limited View Post

I believe you are wasting your money. As an Electrical Engineer, with experience selling these cables in the consumer electronics industry, I can say with some confidence that you are paying for marketing and aesthetics, not R&D. Rather than taking this thread off course in a big debate about the merits of high end cables, I will leave it at that and not respond any further. Buy your cables based on the electrical specifications (conductivity, gauge, etc) and price per foot. Enjoy your 8801's everybody, mine is still on its way!

Oh, gotta love the neverending cable debates. My $0.02 is that analog cables are much more important than digital cables. If you spend $3,600 on a pre-amp (and who knows how much on power amps), make sure to at least get some cables that have a good 'reputation' and good connectors. Personally I can recommend BJC that uses Neutrik/Belden components. Sure, you can listen to the 'lets buy a $5 cable on monoprice.com' crowd but I think you can compromise between $100 cables and $5 cables, just to make sure there are no obvious weak 'links' in your setup. BJC cables are about $30/cable for 6ft (or $60/pair). A 6ft cable at Monoprice will cost you $6/cable (or $12/pair). If you need 5 cables (5.1), you'll spend $150 at BJC and $30 at monoprice. To put this in perspective: the BJC cable are 4% of the purchase price of your Marantz, and the Monoprice cable close to 1%. Will you hear the difference? That's arguable and there's plenty of discussion threads about this. Is it worth it? That's up to you. I just provided you with some numbers and options from my perspective.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 409
Did anybody have any added gain by using the XLR's over RCA's with the AV8801?
Old 12-30-2012, 12:53 PM
TL5
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Is it OK to use an RCA cable for my sub, but XLR cables for my other 5 channels? Does this even make sense given the fact my sub cable run is 30 feet, and my other 5 channels 3 feet?
Old 12-30-2012, 01:06 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Did anybody have any added gain by using the XLR's over RCA's with the AV8801?

There's generally no advantage at cable distance < 10'.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
Old 12-30-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:

Oh, gotta love the neverending cable debates. My $0.02 is that analog cables are much more important than digital cables. If you spend $3,600 on a pre-amp (and who knows how much on power amps), make sure to at least get some cables that have a good 'reputation' and good connectors. Personally I can recommend BJC that uses Neutrik/Belden components. Sure, you can listen to the 'lets buy a $5 cable on monoprice.com' crowd but I think you can compromise between $100 cables and $5 cables, just to make sure there are no obvious weak 'links' in your setup. BJC cables are about $30/cable for 6ft (or $60/pair). A 6ft cable at Monoprice will cost you $6/cable (or $12/pair). If you need 5 cables (5.1), you'll spend $150 at BJC and $30 at monoprice. To put this in perspective: the BJC cable are 4% of the purchase price of your Marantz, and the Monoprice cable close to 1%. Will you hear the difference? That's arguable and there's plenty of discussion threads about this. Is it worth it? That's up to you. I just provided you with some numbers and options from my perspective.

I've got some BJC on the new surrounds I purchased to go with the 8801 and price is always a concern at 25' each and the 12 awg wire fits the bill nicely and is well made, As i tried to say earlier its not about price, but getting the job done well is my only concern and unfortunately sometimes that means spending more to which I have no problems with that , that's all I'm saying. I didn't at any point say you spent to little on your cables.

Now back to the subject at hand the well worth its price 8801;)
Old 12-30-2012, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Network port #1 (the topmost port) doesn't work on my AV8801. Diagnostics says a cable isn't connected even though the cable is good (verified with other devices; I also tried other good cables). In fact, the LED next to port 1 doesn't light up. The other 3 ports work fine (I tested them; also a green blinking light lights up next to each of the ports 2 to 4).

Granted, I use a Gigabit switch, but it so happens all my home theater devices are 100 Mbps devices only.

Has anyone else had this problem or I have a one-off defect?
Old 12-30-2012, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo.USMC View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryWaz View Post

I also currently have a Denon AVR4311ci and am thinking about getting the AV8801/MM8077. Can you speak more about how you feel the sound quality is better than the 4311ci and how you are enjoying it better?
TIA!
P.S. for Everyone: I've read the entire thread (and other web pages on the subject) and am confused by connecting the AV8801 to an amp. Do most folks do unbalanced or balanced? I've never had separates before and am a bit of noob on the subject
I get waaaaay better separation now, while still having my bass smoothed out, & better integrated throughout. Very good/fast dynamics, and oh so quiet....then "BAM!" when it needs to be. To me, my 4311CI was way too harsh & overly bright on music no matter what I did, or how many 8pt calibrations. Personally, I would do XLR just b/c of the robust connection and added gain, which helps in calibration levels sometimes. I have XLR on my front 3 channels and on both of my subs, but use RCA on all 4 of my rears.

Quote:

It is interesting how many touted the 4311 as a great prepro but now so many saying how much better the 8801 is for SQ. I am not yet a big Audyssey fan for music but am interested in how good the DACs and analog section are for music, not movies. Has anybody compared some of the key competition on the music end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo.USMC View Post

Quote:

From the rip, when the 4311CI came out, (I pre-ordered), I hated by the sharp bright sound mine produced in music. Check my post history. SQ wise, the 8801 is better. No placebo over here.

I have followed your posts GerominoUSMC re:4311 harsh bright SQ for music and have "heard" the same thing, been hesitant to post
about it too much...tried your suggestion to use Dolby Volume in one of your previous posts w/some success...done a few Audyssey calibrations
as well. Would love to hear if anyone has compared the 4520 to the 8801 vs 4311 irt "harsh, bright" SQ....thanks in advance.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

There's generally no advantage at cable distance < 10'.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Still getting used to trying to post on here, thanks for your input jdsmoothie. My 8801 is going to take a couple weeks to get here. A dealer out of Delaware is taking my Sunfire TGP-5 on a trade so it's a good deal for me.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Hey guys a quick question as i digest the manual a little more......and remember I am coming from a Lex that has a very easy to use setup as its very intuitive so bear with me. I have a few questions regarding the 8801 setup.In the manual speaker setup....its presented as speaker size...distance...levels and crossover.....in that order. In the lex its presented as speaker size...distance..crossovers and then levels which makes a little more sense. Regardless i will follow the 8801 sequence. Now the question is when the test tone is output by the 8801 is the level automatically output as 0db or do have to adjust it manually.....and is the tes tone level dispalyed anywhere? On the lex is was automatically set to 0 and then I adjust to 75db.I find it strange that the manual doesn't even make a mention of level adjustment to 75 db unless I am missing it somewhere which i probably am.Also how do you guys set your subs LFE or LFE+mains. I listen to mostly movies.

Please don't repond by saying just "let Audessy do it"....I will let Audessy do its thing but i want to play with it manually first.....

Thanks....
Old 12-30-2012, 04:45 PM
585-645-1006

The test tone is a 75db test tone. The sub setting of LFE+Main only applies when the FL/FR speakers are set to LARGE which is not recommended, rather all speakers set to SMALL with a minimum of either 60 or 80Hz crossovers. To make manual speaker volume level adjustments will require using a SPL meter.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Old 12-30-2012, 04:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by TL5 View Post

Is it OK to use an RCA cable for my sub, but XLR cables for my other 5 channels? Does this even make sense given the fact my sub cable run is 30 feet, and my other 5 channels 3 feet?

It is OK.  Whether it makes sense or not depends on your reasons.smile.gif

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Old 12-30-2012, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This is good advice. I don't recommend cheap cables either, but Audioquest is far from cheap. I have Emotiva XLR's which are quite well made. I have a bunch of analog Audioquest cables that I'll probably sell (who uses component video?). I got the Audioquest for about 1/4 of the retail price and I still think I paid too much! biggrin.gif

AI Limited
Old 12-30-2012, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks JDS.....no issues with speaker settings and SPL meter.....been doing this for years. Just wanted to know about the idiosyncronies of the unit.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian13 View Post

Would anybody who owns the AV8801 have an answer for the above question?
Wanting to get some idea what the 4K upscaling is like.

If you have a 4K display then something will need to upsale to 4K anyway (Display, Prepro or Source). The question becomes which is the best place to upscale; Joerod compared the AV8801 to Onkyos 4K solution and thought the upscale slightly inferior but to be honest the only important part is that the AV8801 can do 4K passthrough and overlay.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Limited View Post

This is good advice. I don't recommend cheap cables either, but Audioquest is far from cheap. I have Emotiva XLR's which are quite well made. I have a bunch of analog Audioquest cables that I'll probably sell (who uses component video?). I got the Audioquest for about 1/4 of the retail price and I still think I paid too much! biggrin.gif

Another vote for Emotiva XLRs over here. I found it difficult to source resasonably priced interconnects here, so I solved the problem by importing them from the States.

If all cables sound the same (once past a certain quality threshold), then the only thing differentiating them would be build quality, customer service quality and if you're shallow like me, looks. The Emotiva XLRs sure do look pretty, and were only $25 a pop. I too have some audioquest cables laying around, and for the price of that stereo pair I could've bought a full complement of 13 Emotiva XLRs.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
3 words. Blue Jeans Cable.

Mankite
Old 12-30-2012, 11:31 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosano View Post

Thanks JDS.....no issues with speaker settings and SPL meter.....been doing this for years. Just wanted to know about the idiosyncronies of the unit.

No worries then ... tweak away. smile.gif

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Old 12-31-2012, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi all,
i'm thinking of upgrading my avr to pre/power,difficult to decide between this marantz 8801 and onkyo 5509,i'm more into movie,any helps here?cool.gif
Old 12-31-2012, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
after reading audyssey 101,i told my sales person the same thing. he said i was wrong, and to try it with speakers set to large and lfe+main the way audyssey set it up so far i havent changed it back so far.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:50 AM
585-645-1006

Of course you're welcome to use whatever setting you prefer, however, note that Audyssey didn't set your speakers to LARGE, rather the 8801 did that based on the -3db point passed to it from Audyssey. In fact if Audyssey (the company) had it's way, after running Audyssey, with a capable sub in the setup, the Audyssey software would set all speakers SMALL (as the Audyssey co-founder has mentioned many times in the Audyssey thread). However, sadly that is not the case and the AVR/pre mfrs generally set any speaker to LARGE if it's -3db point is < 50Hz. Setting the front mains to LARGE with the sub set to LFE+Main results in "double bass" (most likely preferred if you are used to bloated bass from an older model receiver) which most generally do not prefer once given a few weeks to adjust to the SMALL/80Hz or 60Hz setting.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Old 12-31-2012, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadliner View Post

after reading audyssey 101,i told my sales person the same thing. he said i was wrong, and to try it with speakers set to large and lfe+main the way audyssey set it up so far i havent changed it back so far.
also part of the reason we got in to it was i told him it seemed like wile listening to a cd there was not enough bass from the sub.

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra