Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread - Page 445 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 267Likes

post #13321 of 13331 Old 01-24-2016, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Having an issue that I was wondering if anybody had previously had .. I have had the 8801 and the Oppo /Cable Box arrangement for over a year... But now I start getting this handshake issue ... I have always had Output 1 on my Oppo 103 going straight to TV ( Sony) .. Output 2 goes to the 8801 to "Blu Ray"for my sound.. ..I do this so the Video in the Marantz is bypassed and the better processors in the Oppo are not messed with in the Marantz ..I like the picture much better this way .. My cable box only has one HDMI output and it goes to Marantz (Cab/Sat) input and then out through a Arc Monitor Output > to the Sony Tv . Now , when ever we are watching TV ( (Cable Box Input 1 on TV), and we switch over to (Blu Ray input 3 on TV) and of course we have to switch to ( Blu Ray) on the Marantz for the sound ..... I start getting " No input device detected " and a black screen on the Sony ... Comes and goes 5 seconds apart as it fires up... then goes out .. The only way I can get the movie to play is to unplug the HDMI from the monitor coming out of the Marantz ... I notice on the new 8802, the 2 monitor outputs are divided between ARC and non Arc ... Whereas mine is both Arc .. Is this Arc screwing with things ? ... I have tried many, many settings including a system reset trying to stop this... But I'm bushed... Anyone ?

Last edited by ss3740; 01-24-2016 at 11:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13322 of 13331 Old 01-24-2016, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3998 Post(s)
Liked: 2223
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3740 View Post
Having an issue that I was wondering if anybody had previously had .. I have had the 8801 and the Oppo /Cable Box arrangement for over a year... But now I start getting this handshake issue ... I have always had Output 1 on my Oppo 103 going straight to TV ( Sony) .. Output 2 goes to the 8801 to "Blu Ray"for my sound.. ..I do this so the Video in the Marantz is bypassed and the better processors in the Oppo are not messed with in the Marantz ..I like the picture much better this way .. My cable box only has one HDMI output and it goes to Marantz (Cab/Sat) input and then out through a Arc Monitor Output > to the Sony Tv . Now , when ever we are watching TV ( (Cable Box Input 1 on TV), and we switch over to (Blu Ray input 3 on TV) and of course we have to switch to ( Blu Ray) on the Marantz for the sound ..... I start getting " No input device detected " and a black screen on the Sony ... Comes and goes 5 seconds apart as it fires up... then goes out .. The only way I can get the movie to play is to unplug the HDMI from the monitor coming out of the Marantz ... I notice on the new 8802, the 2 monitor outputs are divided between ARC and non Arc ... Whereas mine is both Arc .. Is this Arc screwing with things ? ... I have tried many, many settings trying to stop this... But I'm bushed... Anyone ?
My suggestion would be to reduce complexity by connecting the Oppo HDMI1 output to the 8801, and have a single HDMI connection between the 8801 and the Sony display. You can turn off video processing in the 8801 (as I do) to pass the Oppo signal unaltered to the Sony. I would also turn off ARC--why do you need it? Do you need TV audio into the 8801? I have a separate Toslink cable routing TV audio into the 8801, which I use rarely.

I have tested out a number of different connection scenarios, and I have a Sony display as well. I have never perceived even the smallest of difference in PQ by removing the 8801 from the video signal path. The 8801 has very high quality video components, arguably as good as the Oppo.

HDMI is a picky technology, and keeping things as simple as possible avoids issues that cause us to pull our hair out.
post #13323 of 13331 Old 01-24-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
My suggestion would be to reduce complexity by connecting the Oppo HDMI1 output to the 8801, and have a single HDMI connection between the 8801 and the Sony display. You can turn off video processing in the 8801 (as I do) to pass the Oppo signal unaltered to the Sony. I would also turn off ARC--why do you need it? Do you need TV audio into the 8801? I have a separate Toslink cable routing TV audio into the 8801, which I use rarely.

I have tested out a number of different connection scenarios, and I have a Sony display as well. I have never perceived even the smallest of difference in PQ by removing the 8801 from the video signal path. The 8801 has very high quality video components, arguably as good as the Oppo.

HDMI is a picky technology, and keeping things as simple as possible avoids issues that cause us to pull our hair out.
Ok Thanks Jerry
What steps do I take to make sure the Marantz is shut off as far as video processing .. I know it has something to do with scaling ..I must have something turned on, as a couple nights ago we did as you suggested and we both immediately noticed a flatter, less vivid picture ... almost had a little of a greyish cast to it ..

Last edited by ss3740; 01-24-2016 at 12:41 PM.
post #13324 of 13331 Old 01-24-2016, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3998 Post(s)
Liked: 2223
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3740 View Post
Ok Thanks Jerry
What steps do I take to make sure the Marantz is shut off as far as video processing .. I know it has something to do with scaling ..I must have something turned on, as a couple nights ago we did as you suggested and we both immediately noticed a flatter, less vivid picture ... almost had a little of a greyish cast to it ..
In the menu, go to Video/Output Settings, select I/p scaler, and set it to Off. There is another setting, called Video Conversion. If this is set to On, then you will see the AVR controls superimposed on the display, like the volume control indicator. I would leave this on because it is convenient to see the on-screen displays. And the Video Mode setting should be Auto.
post #13325 of 13331 Old 01-24-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
In the menu, go to Video/Output Settings, select I/p scaler, and set it to Off. There is another setting, called Video Conversion. If this is set to On, then you will see the AVR controls superimposed on the display, like the volume control indicator. I would leave this on because it is convenient to see the on-screen displays. And the Video Mode setting should be Auto.

Thanks again ... Jeff
post #13326 of 13331 Old 01-27-2016, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I've been using the 8801 for less than a month and today I came across my first strange issue. I hooked up my iPod to the front USB input for the first time. It worked properly but I noticed the left speaker was louder than the right. I was using stereo at that time. I then switched to a few different listen modes and eventually back to stereo. Randomly it sounded as it should again. Then a few minutes later the left side was louder again. I switched through different sound modes again and at first it didn't go back to normal. Then out of nowhere it did. I ran out of time to test more but I found it very odd.

Has anyone run across an issue like this? It hasn't happened with any other input so far.
post #13327 of 13331 Old 01-28-2016, 12:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I've listened to the same album on sacd and the iPod for about an hour tonight. Switching back and forth between them and between the analog/hdmi input of the Oppo 95. The issue I had earlier has not reoccurred. I did move the USB cable to the back of the 8801 but that shouldn't make any difference. Very strange. Maybe it was an anomaly???
post #13328 of 13331 Old 01-28-2016, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Bumping to see if anyone has come across the issue I posted about above. I am nervous it might be a sign of a future issue.
post #13329 of 13331 Old 02-02-2016, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post
Bumping to see if anyone has come across the issue I posted about above. I am nervous it might be a sign of a future issue.

I have not. Did you try different cables in the front? Since it's USB there could be a contact issue in the front.
post #13330 of 13331 Old Today, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Hello all, does anyone know if the subwoofer volume control in the menu (Network input) is independent from all other inputs. Reason being is when I change the volume if the Sub level trim in Network input it does not stay at that level on any other input. When I change the sub trim in any other input it stays the same except for the network input. Any thoughts?
Thank you

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Marantz AV8801 / MM8077
Martin Logan Motion 50XT Center
Martin Logan Motion 60XT Fronts/40 Rears
SVS PB13-Ultra (2)
Oppo BDP-103D/Furman ELITE-20 PF /Playstation 4/Xbox 1/ Apple TV
post #13331 of 13331 Old Today, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Hello all, does anyone know if the subwoofer volume control in the menu (Network input) is independent from all other inputs. Reason being is when I change the volume if the Sub level trim in Network input it does not stay at that level on any other input. When I change the sub trim in any other input it stays the same except for the network input. Any thoughts?
Thank you

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Marantz AV8801 / MM8077
Martin Logan Motion 50XT Center
Martin Logan Motion 60XT Fronts/40 Rears
SVS PB13-Ultra (2)
Oppo BDP-103D/Furman ELITE-20 PF /Playstation 4/Xbox 1/ Apple TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page