Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread - Page 448 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 282Likes

post #13411 of 13433 Old 05-04-2016, 06:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5413 Post(s)
Liked: 3075
If the subs are indeed the same distance from the MLP, then Audyssey should set their distances the same. And yes, if you change the sub polarity, then you should re-run Audyssey.
darthray likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13412 of 13433 Old 05-06-2016, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
If the subs are indeed the same distance from the MLP, then Audyssey should set their distances the same. And yes, if you change the sub polarity, then you should re-run Audyssey.

Yesterday, I did re-run Audyssey.

My wife got tired to help me carry the 35" monitor ( most of the time, Audyssey pick the noise fan from the front projector), the from the rec room into the Home Theater.
So she bought me a 19" for those few time , I do a calibration

This time the results were 8.3 feet for both subs, 1 db difference between them.

I think the first time was, I forgot to tell the AV8801, that I had two subs.
Second time, the phase was at 0, but forgot to turn-off the Butt kickers in the main chairs, may this was the problem?

So third time was a charm

All is good, except for the Auto turn On, no longer turn on the power amp.
I went in the menu for the trigger input/output, and every thing show on, so who know?
At least, I can always turn the Amp manually

Again, Thanks for all your help.

Ray
AustinJerry likes this.
post #13413 of 13433 Old 05-06-2016, 06:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Nice job, Ray. As for the trigger, it should be working. Check the menu and the cable.
post #13414 of 13433 Old 05-07-2016, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Nice job, Ray. As for the trigger, it should be working. Check the menu and the cable.

Thanks

I do intend to re-check the menu since I believe the problem is in the setting somewhere.

I do not think it is the trigger cable since my equipment is in wall, and nobody goes their (utility room for the furnace and water heater) other than me.
But to make sure, I will check-it with an Ohm meter.

Just for your info, on the second run, the second sub volume was extremely low.
So Audyssey mic could have pick the vibrations from the chair.

At least, it is now done

Ray
post #13415 of 13433 Old 05-11-2016, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
Yesterday, I did re-run Audyssey.

My wife got tired to help me carry the 35" monitor ( most of the time, Audyssey pick the noise fan from the front projector), the from the rec room into the Home Theater.
So she bought me a 19" for those few time , I do a calibration

This time the results were 8.3 feet for both subs, 1 db difference between them.

I think the first time was, I forgot to tell the AV8801, that I had two subs.
Second time, the phase was at 0, but forgot to turn-off the Butt kickers in the main chairs, may this was the problem?

So third time was a charm

All is good, except for the Auto turn On, no longer turn on the power amp.
I went in the menu for the trigger input/output, and every thing show on, so who know?
At least, I can always turn the Amp manually

Again, Thanks for all your help.

Ray
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks

I do intend to re-check the menu since I believe the problem is in the setting somewhere.

I do not think it is the trigger cable since my equipment is in wall, and nobody goes their (utility room for the furnace and water heater) other than me.
But to make sure, I will check-it with an Ohm meter.

Just for your info, on the second run, the second sub volume was extremely low.
So Audyssey mic could have pick the vibrations from the chair.

At least, it is now done

Ray

Last up-date.

It's now working

Ray
post #13416 of 13433 Old 05-15-2016, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Could someone please tell me how to set-up my 8801 to receive Spotify? I don't see it on the apps screen.

Current Equipment: Datasat LS10 w/ Atmos and DIRAC. Datasat RA7300, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
knobstoneaudio.com
post #13417 of 13433 Old 05-15-2016, 04:09 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10203 Post(s)
Liked: 4735
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post
Could someone please tell me how to set-up my 8801 to receive Spotify? I don't see it on the apps screen.
Was it previously hidden? (p. 135 Owner's manual) If yes, you will need to set it to INPUTS - HIDE Sources - Spotify - SHOW.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atl Tech, SVS, Oppo

Think you have a defective AVR? Owner's manual - Factory reset 4-5 times in a row.
post #13418 of 13433 Old 05-15-2016, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Was it previously hidden? (p. 135 Owner's manual) If yes, you will need to set it to INPUTS - HIDE Sources - Spotify - SHOW.
Thanks JD. I will see if that is the problem.

BTW, does AVS still sell lamps for the Marantz VP15s1 ? If so would you please PM me with your price?

Current Equipment: Datasat LS10 w/ Atmos and DIRAC. Datasat RA7300, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
knobstoneaudio.com
post #13419 of 13433 Old 06-27-2016, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I am going to ask a question, that more than likely the answer is No.

Since, I believe there is no stupid question, only the one not ask!

Here's my situation;
2 subs calibrated with Audyssey with 2 different XLR cables.
From the second sub output (after calibration), the signal goes to another XLR cable that supplied the power for a couple Tactile Transducers, BK in my case.

Here's the problem;
The signal going to the TT is after calibration, so there might/will be some boost and cut to the signal.

Is there any way to get a third output for the bass that is un-calibrated? And change volume has you increase/decrease the volume?

I do expect the answer to be No, but sometime, who knows

Ray
post #13420 of 13433 Old 06-28-2016, 02:52 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
I am going to ask a question, that more than likely the answer is No.

Since, I believe there is no stupid question, only the one not ask!

Here's my situation;
2 subs calibrated with Audyssey with 2 different XLR cables.
From the second sub output (after calibration), the signal goes to another XLR cable that supplied the power for a couple Tactile Transducers, BK in my case.

Here's the problem;
The signal going to the TT is after calibration, so there might/will be some boost and cut to the signal.

Is there any way to get a third output for the bass that is un-calibrated? And change volume has you increase/decrease the volume?

I do expect the answer to be No, but sometime, who knows

Ray
Not without passing an un-calibrated signal to both sub pre-outs no (ie. disabling Audyssey).
darthray likes this.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atl Tech, SVS, Oppo

Think you have a defective AVR? Owner's manual - Factory reset 4-5 times in a row.
post #13421 of 13433 Old 06-28-2016, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Not without passing an un-calibrated signal to both sub pre-outs no (ie. disabling Audyssey).

I thought so
It would be a nice option for those of us, that use a/some TT in there system.

I am going to look for a mixing/equalizer, and try to make it a flat signal from there (looking at what kind of signal is boost/cut from a test CD at each frequencies).

Back to drawing board

Thanks, for the reply.

Ray
post #13422 of 13433 Old 06-28-2016, 07:01 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
I thought so
It would be a nice option for those of us, that use a/some TT in there system.

I am going to look for a mixing/equalizer, and try to make it a flat signal from there (looking at what kind of signal is boost/cut from a test CD at each frequencies).

Back to drawing board

Thanks, for the reply.

Ray

Don't think it's going to make that much difference. You still have independent volume control on each sub pre-out so you can simply increase the volume if necessary on the pre-out going to the TT if necessary.
darthray likes this.

------------

post #13423 of 13433 Old 06-28-2016, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

First, thanks for your thought

My main problem is;
The TT bottom out on very low and heavy bass movies, not often, but sometime.

I think, I do not have enough power and the TT goes out of control to be brought back.
Some members think, it could be too much power/or the power is taken away from the adjustment done by Audyssey (too much boost at certain low frequencies).

A pro amp, might fix the power issue, and maybe not
(about double the power, 3DB)
So, logic said, to try to fix the frequencies issues.

From your previous respond, I am wrong and should learn to live my TT bottoming out once in a while (not often).
Or fixing a certain boost (unknown at this point), could maybe fix the situation
Moot situation, or can it be fix (the TT are set fairly low, just enough to feel them)?

After all, it is only chasing the White Rabbit

Edit for my signal flow;
AV8801 sub out 1, to the first sub,
then AV8801 sub out 2 to, the second sub,
From the second sub output (the PB13-Ultra have sub output signal and most sub do now a day) to the SMS-1 for volume control duty,
then a splitter from the SMS-1 to the 2 mono amps,
then the normal speaker wires to the BK from each amp.

Ray

Last edited by darthray; 06-29-2016 at 06:47 AM.
post #13424 of 13433 Old 08-08-2016, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I bought my 8801 3 years in June and have not had any problems until now. It is minor but annoying. I really just use this to watch Blu-rays and Satellite TV and about 45 minutes after turning it on it 'loses' whichever input it was on and it displays the "Marantz" logo. After I re-select whichever input source I was watching everything returns to normal.

I tried unplugging it for 10 minutes but that didn't help. I will confess to NOT observing what input etc. is on the display before I select the source I was viewing. I do still have 2 years of an extended warranty but so far this is a simple enough fix that I do not want to send this out for weeks to get repaired although if this gets worse...
post #13425 of 13433 Old 08-08-2016, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew101 View Post
I bought my 8801 3 years in June and have not had any problems until now. It is minor but annoying. I really just use this to watch Blu-rays and Satellite TV and about 45 minutes after turning it on it 'loses' whichever input it was on and it displays the "Marantz" logo. After I re-select whichever input source I was watching everything returns to normal.

I tried unplugging it for 10 minutes but that didn't help. I will confess to NOT observing what input etc. is on the display before I select the source I was viewing. I do still have 2 years of an extended warranty but so far this is a simple enough fix that I do not want to send this out for weeks to get repaired although if this gets worse...
Try turning off the HDMI CEC control features if you are not using them on your devices. The TV (or by hitting the wrong button on a remote) maybe sending a signal through the HDMI return channel telling it to switch inputs. SJ
post #13426 of 13433 Old 08-08-2016, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

You should try a hard reset too. In your table of contents it is listed as resetting the microprocessor on page 186. Turn off the unit and then turn on pressing on and game and sleep buttons at the same time

Reggie
Family Room:75" 4K HDR Sony 940D/Marantz AV8802A/MM8077/GoldenEar:Triton Ones (superseding Triton 2s),/SuperCenter XXL center channel/ SuperSat 60surrounds/Oppo BDP-105/Directv C61K/Roku 4K
Basement: 70" Sharp Elite/Marantz AV8801/Marantz MM8003/PSB Stratus Gold Front,Center,Left, Surrounds/ Directv Genie HR-54/Roku 4K
post #13427 of 13433 Old 08-09-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiguy3 View Post
You should try a hard reset too. In your table of contents it is listed as resetting the microprocessor on page 186. Turn off the unit and then turn on pressing on and game and sleep buttons at the same time

Ah thanks, I hadn't thought of that, do I need to re-run Audyssey after a hard reset? Page 186 doesn't indicate.
post #13428 of 13433 Old 08-09-2016, 01:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Ah thanks, I hadn't thought of that, do I need to re-run Audyssey after a hard reset? Page 186 doesn't indicate.
Yes, you lose all the configuration settings, including the Audyssey calibration. To get everything back to the way it was manually takes a bit of time. However, if you save your configuration by running a network configuration save, then you can re-load the configuration after the microprocessor rest and be right back to where you were, including preserving the Audyssey calibration. Everyone should have a saved configuration to allow for an easy restore.

Instructions are here: Network configuration load/save.
post #13429 of 13433 Old 08-11-2016, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is the 8801 a true 4K video processor

I realize that the following question may have been answered several times.
With over 400 pages I thought I may have a hard time finding the answer, so I apologize in advance.

A sticker on the cover page of the 8801 manual says "
Upscaling Pass Through GUI Overlay with a screen and inside the screen it states 4K Video.

Is the 8801 a true 4K video processor or does it upscale ?

Thanks,

Greg
post #13430 of 13433 Old 08-15-2016, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee14 View Post
With over 400 pages I thought I may have a hard time finding the answer, so I apologize in advance.

Upscaling Pass Through GUI Overlay with a screen and inside the screen it states 4K Video.

Thanks,

Greg
Greg ,

I am sure that Jerry will answer that question as I don't know...I do use it with an upscaling Sony 4K TV...he is definitely our resident expert even though he owns the newer 8802...We are very lucky to have him on this thread!!

He has helped me on many various issues and his helpful signature links are amazing!

Cheers,
Larry

Sony XBR75X940D | Marantz AV8801 | SunFire Cinema Grand 5-Chan. | 5.2 system w/ 5 Monitor Audio Gold 2 Velodyne HGS 12's | Oppo BDP 105 | MAC Mini for Streaming, View on the XBR | Harmony Ultimate Remote | DDRC-88A| Comcast Internet 90Mb's | 2 Dedicated 20 AMP circuits. | Apple TV4 | Cans: Sennheiser HD 650 + Sennheiser HD 800S | Oppo HA-1 DAC/HEADPHONE AMP |
post #13431 of 13433 Old 08-15-2016, 05:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee14 View Post

Thanks,

Greg
Not sure what you mean by a "true 4K video processor", but the 8801 can upscale an incoming signal to 4K, and it will pass a 4K signal if you have a 4K source device. However, as I recall, the 8801 is not HDMI 2.0, nor does it support HDCP 2.2. If you plan on purchasing a 4K source device like a UHD player, then the player will need to be connected directly to a HDMI 2.0 HDCP 2.2 compliant port on your display, bypassing the 8801. This is why I upgraded to the AVP8802A.

Not sure why you would ever want to up-scale to 4K in the AVP, since up-scaling is best left to the TV.

From page 130 of the users guide:

post #13432 of 13433 Old 08-17-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiguy3 View Post

Unfortunately that didn't solve my problem either, I guess will live with it until it happens more frequently. I still have almost 2 years left on my extended warranty and this I can put up with for now.

Thanks for the ideas and now I have learned how to save my config.
post #13433 of 13433 Old 09-15-2016, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Guys,

Good thing I bought my 8801 from authorized dealer last year on closeout sale! The two HDMI outputs started blanking out when both connected to 2 displays..$285 repair..covered by marantz..

Vince
audiofan1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread