585-645-1006

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked: 1490
Again ... resolved with the speakers set to SMALL. wink.gif

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1322 of 12089 Old 12-31-2012, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherr127 View Post

hi all,
i'm thinking of upgrading my avr to pre/power,difficult to decide between this marantz 8801 and onkyo 5509,i'm more into movie,any helps here?cool.gif
let me just say if it is in your budget to shell out an extra grand,i have never been so sourrounded with with 8801. even just watching tv in dd-ex there is alot of information in the back channels. with my old sunfire tg3 there was not much at all i always though why even have them on. know its worth it also if you get the onkyo not sure if it has that clicking thing or not but you might always wonder what your system would sound like if you purchased the marantz.
post #1323 of 12089 Old 12-31-2012, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Lurking but very interested. However I need to study the documentation before I go visiting any dealers or passing plastic.

Are any of you successfully downloading and looking at the English Users Manual? How? I have done so from the Marantz web site to my Mac but AdobeReader, plugins for same in Safari and Opera all say it is in a unknown format.

"Most people would die sooner than think, in fact they do so."  Bertrand Russell The ABC of Relativity, 1925

post #1324 of 12089 Old 12-31-2012, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think because it comes as a zipped file. You need to unzip it first.
post #1325 of 12089 Old 12-31-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Some thoughts on the 8801…

While I set it up on Christmas day, I've also been very busy with holiday affairs and reconfiguring my theater with new wides and removing a wall unit. But over the past few days, I've spent time listening to some movies, concerts, and DirecTV content. My previous processor was the Integra 80.3. Mind you that I changed my speaker and room configuration recently, but a fair about of listening was done with the prior setup, the same as was used with the Integra.

In short, I find the 8801 a refined, immersive and expressive piece of gear, really a worthy and notable upgrade from the 80.3, which is in and of itself a great processor.

Some of the qualities that I've experienced with the 8801 include:

- Detail: After a short while, you begin to realize one of the root characteristics of the enveloping sound is the amount of detail you are experiencing. If the sound the Integra painted was against a very dark grey, the Marantz canvas seems black in comparison, so the subtleties and nuances are more audible and engaging. Several lab scenes in Avatar revealed environmental cues that, if there before, did not contribute to the sound like the Marantz conveyed.

- Effortlessness: I would never accuse the 80.3 as having a grainy sound, but the 8801 sound is, well just velvety, buttery, and neutrally smooth. This is especially apparent with vocals, but noticed this with a number of music Blu Rays, including Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds Live at Radio City Music Hall.

- Spatial Accuracy: I was watching the first 15 minutes of Monsters, Inc., and dialog placement in relation to the characters positioning on screen was outstanding - if a character was 1/4, even an 1/8 off center, the sound was there; crossing the soundstage from left to right perfectly matched the dialog pan. In Stop Making Sense, as the camera circles the stage while David Byrne remains at front singing, the audio path sweeps along with great precision. Obviously, these are examples first and foremost of a great mix, but this was a quality I wasn't looking for - it just revealed itself. Dialog isn't just in the middle, it's where it needs to be.

- Envelopment: With well mixed sources, and after an Audyssey Pro 10-point calibration, the surround sound field is the aural equivalent of being in the middle of planetarium - immersed in points of sound instead of light, but always pocketed within the dome. I feel it's more engaging than the 80.3 in this regard, though occasionally the rears almost seem too hot. I'm not convinced heights are doing much, but a lot more testing to do, and they are pretty small M1's that have no chance against the Diamonds beneath them.

On the negative side:

• I think the GUI is not befitting of a processor of this cost, and there aren't as many configuration options as one gets with the 80.3 (temporary levels, Audyssey Movie and Music modes, more crossover options, more manual EQ bands, etc.) The THX mode was also nice on the Integra at times, as some of the modes and options worked well for me especially on TV content.
  • I find the HDMI ports very loose - I've tried three different brands of connectors, and all can slip out easily I purchased some HDMI locks and installed them, though the spacing of the connectors does not allow me to fit the last one for some reason.
  • Like the 80.3, this is not a grounded unit.
  • I also wish they would have provided a printed manual - printing out the manual at home was laborious, and its never as convenient to read through than a properly bound manual.
  • I find some of the Music modes interesting - I'm hearing more of an ambience. almost a reverb, with the Neo X and DSX modes for music that I definitely did not hear with the 80.3. This is a mixed bag, especially when there is varied media content - normal dialog (say in a music documentary) can have a slightly echoey effect in these modes when the environment indicates it should be relatively dry. This subtle artifact disappears completely when using the equivalent Movie modes. There may be some settings I have discovered yet, but wanted to make note of this. For actual music content, the Music modes sound fantastic.
  • Finally, I don't like the method of choose surround modes, as at the moment, I don't see how this translates well to a third party remote. Using the Marantz remote, you press and hold for about three second any one of four master surround buttons - Movie, Music, Game, and Pure. This brings up a menu, by which you than either click the same button again repeatedly to cycle downward through the available modes depending upon source content, or alternatively, use the up/down directional arrows to select. Integra's use of a Home button, which put the most often used Listening Modes, Audyssey Controls, and Status options in a more conventional press/navigate buttoning scheme translates better, at least to my Roomie Remote. Marantz would do good to re-look at this, though at this point the buttons are hardwired into the remote…

Like the 80.3, I can easily configure and control the 8801 via IP from my Roomie Remote iOS app. I've had no issues triggering my McIntosh and Marantz amps using the trigger jacks. I've not tried the Marantz RCA remote connection yet.

I've not run my color meter, but I see no degradation in video quality (looks a little better if I were forced to keep one and toss the other in the river). Since I'm going through a Lumagen Mini 3D and a Darblet, I've not tested the 4k scaling, buy my Sony VPL-VW1000es does a fine job of that.

In certain ways, the 8801 is much closer to Classé SSP-800, with several benefits the Classé does not possess. Regardless, the 8801 offers an elevated, luxurious sound that enriches a system and room that is capable of passing on what the Marantz delivers.
erhurd and Fieldhammer like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1326 of 12089 Old 12-31-2012, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeeK View Post

I think because it comes as a zipped file. You need to unzip it first.

Thank you. The downloaded filename had a .pdf suffix and I did not think of it as a .zip file. I renamed it and am now in study mode.

"Most people would die sooner than think, in fact they do so."  Bertrand Russell The ABC of Relativity, 1925

post #1327 of 12089 Old 12-31-2012, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
exm
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 55
^ thrang.... Nice review!
post #1328 of 12089 Old 12-31-2012, 01:11 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug2 View Post

Thank you. The downloaded filename had a .pdf suffix and I did not think of it as a .zip file. I renamed it and am now in study mode.

It can be read using Adobe Acrobat Reader which is a free download.

http://get.adobe.com/reader/

"JD" –

post #1329 of 12089 Old 12-31-2012, 01:21 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

.... and there aren't as many configuration options as one gets with the 80.3 (temporary levels, Audyssey Movie and Music modes, more crossover options, more manual EQ bands, etc.)

On D&M units, selecting "Audyssey" = Movie and "Audyssey Flat" = Music. smile.gif

"JD" –

post #1330 of 12089 Old 12-31-2012, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

On D&M units, selecting "Audyssey" = Movie and "Audyssey Flat" = Music. smile.gif

Now that you mention it, vague rememberance of my avp-a1 settings for that... Thanks for jarring the synapses...

post #1331 of 12089 Old 12-31-2012, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
When Audyssey is selected to be active, does this defeat the Bass and Treble controls on the Marantz unit or are they still available for use?

Chucka
post #1332 of 12089 Old 12-31-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucka View Post

When Audyssey is selected to be active, does this defeat the Bass and Treble controls on the Marantz unit or are they still available for use?
Chucka

Disabled

post #1333 of 12089 Old 12-31-2012, 02:17 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucka View Post

Chucka

To enable the Tone Control (bass/treble) settings, you can leave Audyssey enabled but must set Dyn EQ to OFF. (p. 122 OM).

"JD" –

post #1334 of 12089 Old 12-31-2012, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

To enable the Tone Control (bass/treble) settings, you can leave Audyssey enabled but must set Dyn EQ to OFF. (p. 122 OM).

Thank You. I guess this makes sense. At least it is available if I really want to use it. I always used it on my Lexicon for small tweaks on various movies or music, but this was my only EQ - no room EQ.

Chucka
post #1335 of 12089 Old 12-31-2012, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Some thoughts on the 8801…
While I set it up on Christmas day, I've also been very busy with holiday affairs and reconfiguring my theater with new wides and removing a wall unit. But over the past few days, I've spent time listening to some movies, concerts, and DirecTV content. My previous processor was the Integra 80.3. Mind you that I changed my speaker and room configuration recently, but a fair about of listening was done with the prior setup, the same as was used with the Integra.
In short, I find the 8801 a refined, immersive and expressive piece of gear, really a worthy and notable upgrade from the 80.3, which is in and of itself a great processor.
Some of the qualities that I've experienced with the 8801 include:
- Detail: After a short while, you begin to realize one of the root characteristics of the enveloping sound is the amount of detail you are experiencing. If the sound the Integra painted was against a very dark grey, the Marantz canvas seems black in comparison, so the subtleties and nuances are more audible and engaging. Several lab scenes in Avatar revealed environmental cues that, if there before, did not contribute to the sound like the Marantz conveyed.
- Effortlessness: I would never accuse the 80.3 as having a grainy sound, but the 8801 sound is, well just velvety, buttery, and neutrally smooth. This is especially apparent with vocals, but noticed this with a number of music Blu Rays, including Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds Live at Radio City Music Hall.
- Spatial Accuracy: I was watching the first 15 minutes of Monsters, Inc., and dialog placement in relation to the characters positioning on screen was outstanding - if a character was 1/4, even an 1/8 off center, the sound was there; crossing the soundstage from left to right perfectly matched the dialog pan. In Stop Making Sense, as the camera circles the stage while David Byrne remains at front singing, the audio path sweeps along with great precision. Obviously, these are examples first and foremost of a great mix, but this was a quality I wasn't looking for - it just revealed itself. Dialog isn't just in the middle, it's where it needs to be.
- Envelopment: With well mixed sources, and after an Audyssey Pro 10-point calibration, the surround sound field is the aural equivalent of being in the middle of planetarium. I feel it's more engaging than the 80.3 in this regard, though occasionally the rears almost seem too hot. I'm not convinced heights are doing much, but a lot more testing to do, and they are pretty small M1's that have no chance against the Diamonds beneath them.
On the negative side:
  • I think the GUI is not befitting of a processor of this cost, and there aren't as many configuration options as one gets with the 80.3 (temporary levels, Audyssey Movie and Music modes, more crossover options, more manual EQ bands, etc.) The THX mode was also nice on the Integra at times, as some of the modes and options worked well for me especially on TV content.
  • I find the HDMI ports very loose - I've tried three different brands of connectors, and all can slip out easily I purchased some HDMI locks and installed them, though the spacing of the connectors does not allow me to fit the last one for some reason.
  • Like the 80.3, this is not a grounded unit.
  • I also wish they would have provided a printed manual - printing out the manual at home was laborious, and its never as convenient to read through than a properly bound manual.
  • I find some of the Music modes interesting - I'm hearing more of an ambience. almost a reverb, with the Neo X and DSX modes for music that I definitely did not hear with the 80.3 This is a mixed bag, especially when there is varied media content - normal dialog (say in a music documentary) can have a slightly echoey effect in these modes when the environment indicates it should be relatively dry., This subtle artifacts disappears completely when using the equivalent Movie modes. There may be some settings I have discovered yet, but wanted to make note of this. For actual music content, the Music modes sound fantastic.
  • Finally, I don't like the method of choose surround modes, as at the moment, I don't see how this translates well to a third party remote. Using the Marantz remote, you press and hold for about three second any one of four master surround buttons - Movie, Music, Game, and Pure. This brings up a menu, by which you than either click the same button again repeatedly to cycle downward through the available modes depending upon source content, or alternatively, use the up/down directional arrows to select. Integra's use of a Home button, which put the most often used Listening Modes, Audyssey Controls, and Status options in a more conventional press/navigate buttoning scheme translates better, at least to my Roomie Remote. Marantz would do good to re-look at this, though at this point the buttons are hardwired into the remote…
Like the 80.3, I can easily configure and control the 8801 via IP from my Roomie Remote iOS app. I've had no issues triggering my McIntosh and Marantz amps using the trigger jacks. I've not tried the Marantz RCA remote connection yet.
I've not run my color meter, but I see no degradation in video quality (looks a little better if I were forced to keep one and toss the other in the river). Since I'm going through a Lumagen Mini 3D and a Darblet, I've not tested the 4k scaling, buy my Sony VPL-VW1000es does a fine job of that.
In certain ways, the 8801 is much closer to Classé SSP-800, with several benefits the Classé does not possess. Regardless, the 8801 offers an elevated, luxurious sound that enriches a system and room that is capable of passing on what the Marantz delivers.
excellent review anyone on the fence should get a good idea of what this pre pro has to offer buy your review.
post #1336 of 12089 Old 12-31-2012, 02:34 PM

I am thinking about moving from Anthem AVM50V to this unit. I am not happy with too many instances of failed handshake that occurs with the AVM50V. Getting 9.1 is also a plus. However, I don't like to give up too much on sound quality, especially with multichannel music. Is there anybody who directly compared the AVM50V with AV8801 on SQ? I have a dedicated two channel system, so that would not be a factor. Thank you very much.
post #1337 of 12089 Old 12-31-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadliner View Post

excellent review anyone on the fence should get a good idea of what this pre pro has to offer buy your review.

Thanks - fellow member addino (Tony) stopped by to listen earlier, so perhaps he will post his commentary as well...

post #1338 of 12089 Old 12-31-2012, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hey guys another quickie please.......is 0 on the unit minimum or max volume.....I am pretty sure its min volume but just want to confirm.....Thanks

And by the way......

Have a safe and Happy New Year to all of you and your families....much health and happiness from The Great White North!!!
post #1339 of 12089 Old 12-31-2012, 03:33 PM
585-645-1006

If you are using the factory default volume scale (0-98) then yes, 0 would be the lowest volume with 80 being the "reference" volume after running Audyssey.

"JD" –

post #1340 of 12089 Old 12-31-2012, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just looking at the MM8077 amplier as the companion with the AV8801.
Wondering about the specs listed on the product sheet:

Audio Section
Rated power output
150 W/ch, 8 ohm
(20 Hz - 20 kHz, THD 0.08 %, two channels driven)
180 W/ch, 6 ohm
(20 Hz - 20 kHz, THD 0.08 %, two channels driven)
Maximum effective output power
210 W/ch, 6 ohm (1 kHz, THD 10%, two channels driven)

Under "Maximum effective output power" into 6 ohms, THD is 10%?
Is that supposed to be good? Or is this a missprint?
Am I reading something wrong?

Brad
post #1341 of 12089 Old 12-31-2012, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by naxos41 View Post

I am thinking about moving from Anthem AVM50V to this unit. I am not happy with too many instances of failed handshake that occurs with the AVM50V. Getting 9.1 is also a plus. However, I don't like to give up too much on sound quality, especially with multichannel music. Is there anybody who directly compared the AVM50V with AV8801 on SQ? I have a dedicated two channel system, so that would not be a factor. Thank you very much.

I was just at Greg's house earlier this evening. I must say, I was very surprised how good this processor sounds. Coming from a Classe CT-SSP processor myself, I was very impressed. It's put me on the fence for a serious consideration. If you are coming from the Anthem (I owned the Statement D2v at one point) , I would not hesitate moving to the Marantz. Very impressed.

One strong observation I had was the panning on this processor was incredible. Sounds were floating in the air at different points in the room. We were listening in 5.1 mode so no credit to the wides and height speakers. Very enjoyable experience I must admit.

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #1342 of 12089 Old 12-31-2012, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

I was just at Greg's house earlier this evening. I must say, I was very surprised how good this processor sounds. Coming from a Classe CT-SSP processor myself, I was very impressed. It's put me on the fence for a serious consideration. If you are coming from the Anthem (I owned the Statement D2v at one point) , I would not hesitate moving to the Marantz. Very impressed.
One strong observation I had was the panning on this processor was incredible. Sounds were floating in the air at different points in the room. We were listening in 5.1 mode so no credit to the wides and height speakers. Very enjoyable experience I must admit.

Just think tony, the flick of a light switch in right surround speaker may make you spend $3k +...

Gotta love this hobby....

post #1343 of 12089 Old 12-31-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:

You should do it Tony. The Marantz is pretty impressive and I expected a downgrade from the Classe, but like Greg, I found the Marantz was an improvement in several areas and awfully close to the Classe in others.
post #1344 of 12089 Old 12-31-2012, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by chjo100 View Post

You should do it Tony. The Marantz is pretty impressive and I expected a downgrade from the Classe, but like Greg, I found the Marantz was an improvement in several areas and awfully close to the Classe in others.

Seriously considering it! How long have you had yours? What did you like more about the Classe vs the Marantz?

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #1345 of 12089 Old 12-31-2012, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
i do hope this new pre will have more punch and dynamic bcos from what i experienced with 7701 it lacks the dynamic for movies,only good for concert and music..
post #1346 of 12089 Old 12-31-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:

Seriously considering it! How long have you had yours? What did you like more about the Classe vs the Marantz?

You know I love the Classe. I ended up going back to the Classe earlier this year. I tried a few other ht processors as well (we can discuss those via pm if you're interested). Mostly, I feel the sense of immersion after engaging Audyssey XT32 compared to what I could get out of the Classe with my rudimentary skills with its PEQ was better while retaining that beautiful smooth yet open Classe sound.
post #1347 of 12089 Old 12-31-2012, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 68
Maybe try to get the Marantz and Classe in the same room. Pretty tough (impossible?) to A/B otherwise considering all of the variables. Would be terrific to live with the Marantz for a few weeks and then swap back. If two of you live nearby, then consider. Results would be very helpful.

HT 3.1: Panny BDT 220 | 60" Panny VT60 | Marantz AV7005 | Focal CMS50 (L/R), CMS40 & CMS Sub

Stereo system: Cary Audio 306 SACD Pro | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 | Focal Diablo Utopia III
post #1348 of 12089 Old 12-31-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh901 View Post

Maybe try to get the Marantz and Classe in the same room. Pretty tough (impossible?) to A/B otherwise considering all of the variables. Would be terrific to live with the Marantz for a few weeks and then swap back. If two of you live nearby, then consider. Results would be very helpful.

Agreed and even when they are in the same room they are tough to A/B due to all the connections.
post #1349 of 12089 Old 12-31-2012, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I am in the same point as a few others here in that I am trying to decide between the 8801, D2, 5509, and 4520. I'm a numbers guy. The other night I made a spreadsheet of all the processors/receivers in the last few years reviewed by HT magazine and compared the test numbers.

Interestingly the Marantz products measure very average compared to the competition. Their receivers in particular measure relatively poor. For example here's a comparison of the 8003 compared to the Anthem and Onkyo:

Onkyo 5509

THD + N .015%
Crosstalk 95.07
SN/R 124.97

Anthem D2

THD + N .019%
Crosstalk 92.44
SN/R 123.67

Marantz 8003/7005 (7005 measured very close)

THD + N .023%
Crosstalk 86.91
SN/R 122.19

Of course the 8801 might measure better but like I said historically Marantz does not measure as well as other SSPs. The audibility of this is of course debatable.

The Onkyo tests better than any other pre/pro on the market that they tested.

I am actually considering getting the Denon 4520 over the 8801 because the Denon seems to offer more. The Denon has Denon Link HD, DDSC, AL24 processing, etc. I would be using the Denon as a preamp connected to an Anthem P5 amplifier.

If the new matching Marantz amplifier is like the previous models it is overpriced and measures poorly. You can do much better for the money, IMHO.

The Marantz is not off my list yet but I just can't see what if offers over the Denon 4520 or the Onkyo 5509.

-Brian

Brian R. Smith
post #1350 of 12089 Old 12-31-2012, 08:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Thrang, well worded summary! Comments are right on the money and I am hearing the same excellent details. cool.gif

For my latest Reviews and stuff Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Follow me: @joerodhometheat
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page