Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread - Page 452 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 294Likes

post #13531 of 13537 Old 08-06-2017, 11:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by parapet View Post
What is the latest firmware version for the AV8801?
The one from Dec 2016, I need the 12 digit number please.
Version3525-8853-5405
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13532 of 13537 Old 08-13-2017, 02:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
I am having an issue with the levels of my AV8801. Recently, I have noticed that in certain movie scenes, e.g. in Interstellar where they entering the wormhole, my subwoofer produces a nasty rattling sound that sounds very distorted and unpleasant. My subwoofer is the B&W ASW608. OK, OK, it's not the best subwoofer in the world, but I like it for music and, anyway, for the most part during a movie it produces a clean, musical bass. However, in those few moments during bass-heavy movies like interstellar (I am not even going to mention Arrival), it seems that it cannot handle those bursts of current (low-frequency bass?). I have tried to adjust a setting that I found under the Audyssey menu, which sets the LFE level, but after reducing the level to -5db it still produced that rattling sound. I actually bent down and observed what happens. The diaphragm vibrates normally up until that moment, and then during the distorted sound it really hyperextends, probably reaching its mechanical limits.

OK, my question is: is there a way to prevent it from trying to reproduce those very low frequencies, while keeping the rest of the bass levels (which I like) the same?

Thanks.
post #13533 of 13537 Old 08-13-2017, 03:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 376 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15024 Post(s)
Liked: 7244
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoutsos View Post
I am having an issue with the levels of my AV8801. Recently, I have noticed that in certain movie scenes, e.g. in Interstellar where they entering the wormhole, my subwoofer produces a nasty rattling sound that sounds very distorted and unpleasant. My subwoofer is the B&W ASW608. OK, OK, it's not the best subwoofer in the world, but I like it for music and, anyway, for the most part during a movie it produces a clean, musical bass. However, in those few moments during bass-heavy movies like interstellar (I am not even going to mention Arrival), it seems that it cannot handle those bursts of current (low-frequency bass?). I have tried to adjust a setting that I found under the Audyssey menu, which sets the LFE level, but after reducing the level to -5db it still produced that rattling sound. I actually bent down and observed what happens. The diaphragm vibrates normally up until that moment, and then during the distorted sound it really hyperextends, probably reaching its mechanical limits.

OK, my question is: is there a way to prevent it from trying to reproduce those very low frequencies, while keeping the rest of the bass levels (which I like) the same?

Thanks.
Try setting the Audyssey LFC setting to 7 (max), otherwise, only Zones 2/3 have a High Pass filter, so unless the sub has one, lower the subwoofer volume level when playing these movies.

post #13534 of 13537 Old 08-13-2017, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Try setting the Audyssey LFC setting to 7 (max), otherwise, only Zones 2/3 have a High Pass filter, so unless the sub has one, lower the subwoofer volume level when playing these movies.
Thanks, jdsmoothie! It worked! I started with LFC set to 7 and there was nothing left in the bass, so I reduced it by one unit at a time while checking the same scene. Setting 3 produced enough bass without driving the sub to distortion. Great!
post #13535 of 13537 Old 08-15-2017, 07:20 AM

I know that this has been discussed already, and that the answers are very subjective, but I am thinking of trying Dynamic EQ for music, again. I used to have it set to the lowest level (–15dB), but I've since turned it off because I've heard somewhere that Dynamic EQ compresses the soundstage and the dynamic range (not intentionally, as Dynamic Volume does, but due to extra digital processing). To be fair, I have not found any evidence for it. Is there any sort of well-founded logic why Dynamic EQ would change the 'airiness', dynamics, soundstage width, etc. of the music? For example, I have read that the new AV8802, via its new output circuit, performs better for music. Does engaging the Dynamic EQ or not have an impact on the music along those lines (but due to processing in the digital domain, not due to hardware, obviously)?
Thanks.
post #13536 of 13537 Old 08-15-2017, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 72
RE: DynamicEQ for music. I run DynamicEQ all the time, but do check and set the RLO (Reference Level Offset) to match the type of source used. So when playing music, the RLO is at -15 or -10.

I have a pretty revealing system, and I can not detect level compression beyond the expected rise on LF levels at lower volumes, but then that's the point of DynamicEQ. The benefits of restored tonal balance at moderate levels is a win for me.

The biggest negative of DynamicEQ (at least on my system) is that they overboosts the rear levels and HF at lower volumes and it sounds unbalanced to me. But then again, not many people with 6' tall electrostats as their rears, so it probably works better on 'normal' speakers.
audiofan1 likes this.

Jonathan

My System
post #13537 of 13537 Old 08-15-2017, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Liked: 1867
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoutsos View Post
I know that this has been discussed already, and that the answers are very subjective, but I am thinking of trying Dynamic EQ for music, again. I used to have it set to the lowest level (–15dB), but I've since turned it off because I've heard somewhere that Dynamic EQ compresses the soundstage and the dynamic range (not intentionally, as Dynamic Volume does, but due to extra digital processing). To be fair, I have not found any evidence for it. Is there any sort of well-founded logic why Dynamic EQ would change the 'airiness', dynamics, soundstage width, etc. of the music? For example, I have read that the new AV8802, via its new output circuit, performs better for music. Does engaging the Dynamic EQ or not have an impact on the music along those lines (but due to processing in the digital domain, not due to hardware, obviously)?
Thanks.
I've not heard it compress in anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFo View Post
RE: DynamicEQ for music. I run DynamicEQ all the time, but do check and set the RLO (Reference Level Offset) to match the type of source used. So when playing music, the RLO is at -15 or -10.

I have a pretty revealing system, and I can not detect level compression beyond the expected rise on LF levels at lower volumes, but then that's the point of DynamicEQ. The benefits of restored tonal balance at moderate levels is a win for me.

The biggest negative of DynamicEQ (at least on my system) is that they overboosts the rear levels and HF at lower volumes and it sounds unbalanced to me. But then again, not many people with 6' tall electrostats as their rears, so it probably works better on 'normal' speakers.
i need to revisit DEQ as well having owned both units the one positive I've noticed with it on is a fuller midrange but the only negative is the boosted surrounds which really an be adjusted on the fly through the quick channel level acess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page