Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread - Page 55 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1621 of 12172 Old 01-07-2013, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
Geronimo.USMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 586
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

What happens when you set the BD player to output PCM? Do you get straight 5.1 that the 8801 can play as 5.1? If so, could just leave the BD player like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo.USMC View Post

I will try & report.
I tried this last night. It will output 5.1 channels only as I wanted, but guess what. Stupid Sony. In their infinite wisdom, My CX7000ES Mega changers do not decode 7.1. I have two of them. They always decode/downsample internally 5.1 on DTS HD MASTER, grrrrr....Back to bit-streaming, and turning the rears off in 5.1.......

HTPC/Gaming Rig:
Silverstone CW02B, I7 3930K, 16GB, ASUS Rampage IV Formula
EVGA Signature Titan> 70 inch ELITE PRO-70X5FD
Auzen HDMI XFi> 7.2 via Marantz AV8801>Wyred4Sound, & Emotiva Amps>Paradigm 100'sV5, ADP590'sV5, 690v5, 20v5's, + Dual HSU-ULS15 Subs

Controlling: Two CX7000ES's via MyMovies
Geronimo.USMC is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1622 of 12172 Old 01-07-2013, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
exm
AVS Special Member
 
exm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NYY
Posts: 1,320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlgren View Post

Specifications comparison of AVP-A1HDCI & AV-8801
AV-8801
Analog
S/N Ratio 105dB
Freq. Response (Analog In) 10Hz - 100kHz (+/- 3 dB)
Distortion: 0.005 % (20 Hz - 20 kHz) (DIRECT mode)
Digital
Total harmonic distortion — 0.008 % (1 kHz, at 0 dB)
S/N ratio — 102 dB
Dynamic range — 100 dB
AVP-A1HDCI
Analog
S/N Ratio 102dB
Freq. Response (Analog In) 10Hz - 100kHz (+/- 3 dB)
Distortion: 0.005 % (20 Hz - 20 kHz) (DIRECT mode)
Digital
Total harmonic distortion — 0.005% (1 kHz, at 0 dB)
S/N ratio — 102 dB
Dynamic Range - 110dB

Thanks, but these numbers don't really "sell" either unit to me. From a pure monetary perspective, I can't think of any reason that the AVP-A1HDCI is worth twice the cost of the AV8801.
exm is offline  
post #1623 of 12172 Old 01-07-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 6,944
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 400
One reason the AVP cost more was that it's designed so its electronics hardware could be easily upgradable (e.g. circuit boards plugged into sockets, etc). The additional complexity of that mechanical design and thus the increased difficulty of assembling the system on a production line was just more expensive. Which meant fewer people would buy it which meant they had to charge even more in order to make a profit.

The 8801 is *not* designed to have its hardware easily upgraded, which results in a less complex and thus less expensive hardware design.

Selden
Selden Ball is online now  
post #1624 of 12172 Old 01-07-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Krobar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,965
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlgren View Post

Specifications comparison of AVP-A1HDCI & AV-8801
AV-8801
Analog
S/N Ratio 105dB
Freq. Response (Analog In) 10Hz - 100kHz (+/- 3 dB)
Distortion: 0.005 % (20 Hz - 20 kHz) (DIRECT mode)
Digital
Total harmonic distortion — 0.008 % (1 kHz, at 0 dB)
S/N ratio — 102 dB
Dynamic range — 100 dB
AVP-A1HDCI
Analog
S/N Ratio 102dB
Freq. Response (Analog In) 10Hz - 100kHz (+/- 3 dB)
Distortion: 0.005 % (20 Hz - 20 kHz) (DIRECT mode)
Digital
Total harmonic distortion — 0.005% (1 kHz, at 0 dB)
S/N ratio — 102 dB
Dynamic Range - 110dB

AVP is also fully balanced and a very high end dual differential dac setup. Maybe the higher SNr of the 8801 is due to the copper sheilding smile.gif
Krobar is offline  
post #1625 of 12172 Old 01-07-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
audiofan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

What if you're playing 5.1 and want to turn off Audyssey on everything but the sub?
Is this where Audyssey Pro comes in? ....and about $650 goes out? smile.gif

Good question! If that's the case that's a very pricey option:D
audiofan1 is online now  
post #1626 of 12172 Old 01-07-2013, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
cp1966's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetbrian777 View Post

I just got my 8801 from Steve. I am in Florida and had hum issues with an AV7701 (see previous posts). With the AV8801, I do not have any hum issues now and it sounds outstanding....better than my Lexicon MC12b. For me, it is a masterpiece.

Okay, thanks.

I had a AV7005 and had buzz when I started hooking up HDMI cables. Steve suggested a 8801 or 7701, and he said that he was helping a guy out (he wasn't sure of the AVS Forum Avatar name) who was having similar issues. I even got a Marantz SR7005 and tried connecting that to my Outlaw 7700 amp and the buzz was worse. Running that receiver off its own amp section and not using my amp is crystal clear, although it lacks the punch that I am used to with my amp.

Call me silly, but I can use pretty much ANY audio cables with the RCA ends to connect the receiver to my amp to trouble shoot it again? I have some nice Monoprice Rg6 cables that I used, not sure if they are compatable. I also have some component video (red, green, blue) cables with the RCA ends, would those work ?
cp1966 is offline  
post #1627 of 12172 Old 01-07-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 6,944
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 400
You can use just about any type of RCA cable when connecting analog audio signals. I wouldn't use really skinny wires for long runs, though. Coax video cables work fine for audio, but twisted-pair audio cables don't work so well for analog video.

Selden
Selden Ball is online now  
post #1628 of 12172 Old 01-07-2013, 02:45 PM
Member
 
jeffkad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quick question: does the 8801 run hot, warm, or lukewarm? I would like to put it in a cabinet (Salamander Synergy) with only 1" clearance on top, but the back is open and the front and sides are perforated metal, so it should get good ventilation on all sides but top. Will this work?
jeffkad is offline  
post #1629 of 12172 Old 01-07-2013, 02:49 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
joerod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: MIDWEST (just outside Chicago)
Posts: 22,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Pumped about tonight's ga,e! Go ND!!! Should have amazing sound using DSX. smile.gif

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
joerod is online now  
post #1630 of 12172 Old 01-07-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
audiofan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkad View Post

Quick question: does the 8801 run hot, warm, or lukewarm? I would like to put it in a cabinet (Salamander Synergy) with only 1" clearance on top, but the back is open and the front and sides are perforated metal, so it should get good ventilation on all sides but top. Will this work?

My 8801 sits at the top of an open rack and I would say its borderline warm and at the top of whatever the lukewarm range is, now in an enclosed space that may be different the perforation may or may not help.
audiofan1 is online now  
post #1631 of 12172 Old 01-07-2013, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 3,276
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Pumped about tonight's ga,e! Go ND!!! Should have amazing sound using DSX. smile.gif

Go Bama !!

R 8:28


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 
 

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
audioguy is offline  
post #1632 of 12172 Old 01-07-2013, 04:10 PM
Member
 
dahlgren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

Thanks, but these numbers don't really "sell" either unit to me. From a pure monetary perspective, I can't think of any reason that the AVP-A1HDCI is worth twice the cost of the AV8801.

It matters to many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

One reason the AVP cost more was that it's designed so its electronics hardware could be easily upgradable (e.g. circuit boards plugged into sockets, etc). The additional complexity of that mechanical design and thus the increased difficulty of assembling the system on a production line was just more expensive. Which meant fewer people would buy it which meant they had to charge even more in order to make a profit.
The 8801 is *not* designed to have its hardware easily upgraded, which results in a less complex and thus less expensive hardware design.

Agreed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post

AVP is also fully balanced and a very high end dual differential dac setup. Maybe the higher SNr of the 8801 is due to the copper sheilding smile.gif

I use RCA's but I agree.

So guys here are the specs what do you think? Not opinions on how i think it sounds vs, sound proofing, speakers, copper, DAC's etc...

Well? Are there other specs to compare?

Originally Posted by dahlgren

Specifications comparison of AVP-A1HDCI & AV-8801
AV-8801
Analog
S/N Ratio 105dB
Freq. Response (Analog In) 10Hz - 100kHz (+/- 3 dB)
Distortion: 0.005 % (20 Hz - 20 kHz) (DIRECT mode)
Digital
Total harmonic distortion — 0.008 % (1 kHz, at 0 dB)
S/N ratio — 102 dB
Dynamic range — 100 dB
AVP-A1HDCI
Analog
S/N Ratio 102dB
Freq. Response (Analog In) 10Hz - 100kHz (+/- 3 dB)
Distortion: 0.005 % (20 Hz - 20 kHz) (DIRECT mode)
Digital
Total harmonic distortion — 0.005% (1 kHz, at 0 dB)
S/N ratio — 102 dB
Dynamic Range - 110dB
dahlgren is offline  
post #1633 of 12172 Old 01-07-2013, 04:13 PM
Senior Member
 
jam88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Montreal
Posts: 413
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

I do not know why Marantz posted info on Denon’s processing. ss9001 asked if AL32 could be hiding inside the 8801. Your reply provided the link to Marantz’ website and concluded >>Marantz has had SQ notoriety for a long time, so I don't see how they could not implement a digital audio up-sampling technology that has the potential to improve the sound of their products, plus considering that they use the same Analog Devices DSPs as the Denon 4520.<< The implication, it seemed to me, was that Marantz is using the same upsampling as Denon. I was simply pointing out that Marantz is not claiming upsampling for their Alpha process.

Roger, we all want to know if Marantz is perhaps using AL32 or AL24 for that matter in the 8801 and indeed they're not claiming any use of those technologies. I'm just raising the possibility, as was ss9001 (Steve), that they may make use of the technology without any claims in order to preserve some brand differentiation for the Denon label. It's speculation at this point but nevertheless it remains a possibility because of the almost identical design of the digital front-end (minus the Denon Link).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Yes, AL32 is upsampling. I never said otherwise. But AL24 is not, and neither is Alpha.
Not a dead giveaway to me when they explicitly describe it in terms of extending wordlength, which is another form of interpolation.

Extension, i.e. an increase of the word length, is a part, albeit optional, of the upsampling technique. Interpolation is the lingo used to describe the action of inserting additional artificially derived sample(s) between two original samples and is a fundamental part of upsampling technologies.

The Denon Alpha processor technology was the first PCM upsampling technology developed by Denon and would only increase the word length from 16 to 20 bits. Then they further developed the design of the Alpha processor and AL24 became the second iteration of their upsampling technology; it could extend the word length to 24 bits and the sampling rate up to 192 kHz.

AL24 is described in many professional reviews and even some Denon gear owner manuals as upsampling technology. These last few years, Denon tends to not too often specifically refer to it as upsampling in their literature, in order to preserve some cachet (market differentiation) since many other manufacturers have also offered various upsampling technologies for some years now. I have an old Panasonic DVD player from 2001 (DVDRP-91) that also does upsampling; Panasonic called the feature: Re-Master.

This Denon AVR-5805 review from Gene DellaSala on Audiholics mentions: "The Denon upsamples all 44kHz signals to 96kHz / 24 bit as per their AL24 bit process. In fact, Denon's Advanced AL24 Processing handles up to 192kHz and 24 bit extension with real time interpolation." Gene DellaSala is an experienced EE.

This other review of the Denon AVP-A1HDCI by John E. Johnson of Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity says: "Denon's Advanced AL 24 Processing upsamples all the audio to 24 bit.".

This Denon UK brochure for the AVR-4308DAB describes Advanced AL24 in these words: "The Field Programmable Gate Array includes the latest Denon exclusive AL processing algorithms. Advanced AL24 expands the resolution of standard audio signals (CD: 16 bit) to 24 bit (bit extension) and also increases the scanning rate to 192 kHz (upsampling), on all channels.".

The manual for the Denon DBP-2012UDCI universal disc player clearly states on page 48 in the "About Advanced AL24 Processing" paragraph: "In addition to data expansion to 24 bit, it conducts natural interpolation processing with no loss of original data by digital upsampling."

If these quotes don't convince you that AL24 is an upsampling technology, nothing will. Similar references can be found for the Denon Alpha processor, describing it as an upsampling technology. This is the marketing world we live in for the better or worse. All these companies are trying to make their technologies look like they're the best thing since sliced bread and that they're the only ones that have unlocked the secrets to making it. So they use all kinds of cool esoteric sounding marketing monikers to differentiate themselves from the competition. Not that they're not real technological improvements, they often are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Thank you for the link. As you can see in Fig 1, oversampling interpolates more points, same as upsampling.
It will not be easy if the DAC's oversampling does what Fig 1 describes.

Yes they both do similar things and achieve similar goals but through different techniques.
You may be right, it may not be easy. I hope that my brother's 30 year old scope still works. It will take some time though before I can get around to it.
jam88 is offline  
post #1634 of 12172 Old 01-07-2013, 04:15 PM
Senior Member
 
jam88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Montreal
Posts: 413
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
On a different note, time to unpack after I eat dinner, as my 8801 showed up this afternoon. biggrin.gif
jam88 is offline  
post #1635 of 12172 Old 01-07-2013, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
stieger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 728
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1966 View Post

Okay, thanks.
I had a AV7005 and had buzz when I started hooking up HDMI cables. Steve suggested a 8801 or 7701, and he said that he was helping a guy out (he wasn't sure of the AVS Forum Avatar name) who was having similar issues. I even got a Marantz SR7005 and tried connecting that to my Outlaw 7700 amp and the buzz was worse. Running that receiver off its own amp section and not using my amp is crystal clear, although it lacks the punch that I am used to with my amp.
Call me silly, but I can use pretty much ANY audio cables with the RCA ends to connect the receiver to my amp to trouble shoot it again? I have some nice Monoprice Rg6 cables that I used, not sure if they are compatable. I also have some component video (red, green, blue) cables with the RCA ends, would those work ?

I had a 7005 with hum issues, but when I hooked up my dish rcvr with rgb and a digital-coax for audio, all was good. The dish receiver was passing the "HUM" through the unit and onto the marantz.

We Make Home Theater A Reality
stieger is offline  
post #1636 of 12172 Old 01-07-2013, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
danielo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Utrecht, Netherlands
Posts: 4,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam88 View Post


If these quotes don't convince you that AL24 is an upsampling technology, nothing will. Similar references can be found for the Denon Alpha processor, describing it as an upsampling technology. This is the marketing world we live in for the better or worse. All these companies are trying to make their technologies look like they're the best thing since sliced bread and that they're the only ones that have unlocked the secrets to making it. So they use all kinds of cool esoteric sounding marketing monikers to differentiate themselves from the competition. Not that they're not real technological improvements, they often are.
Yes they both do similar things and achieve similar goals but through different techniques.
You may be right, it may not be easy. I hope that my brother's 30 year old scope still works. It will take some time though before I can get around to it.

Maybe it makes more sense to reverse it. We know that the up sampling/extending part of AL24/AL32 is always used on denon products if any digital work is done. The reason for this is to keep the rest of the audio chain simple. You don 't have to support all the different speeds and depths this is the reason that denon has been very stable in this area where some other brands had problems handling weird speeds and depths. Since the 4520 is the base of the 8801 the question is why would they turn it off and make their life more difficult ? It seems logical they just left it on either unchanged or slightly changed and don't talk about it.

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
danielo is offline  
post #1637 of 12172 Old 01-07-2013, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
danielo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Utrecht, Netherlands
Posts: 4,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlgren View Post

So guys here are the specs what do you think? Not opinions on how i think it sounds vs, sound proofing, speakers, copper, DAC's etc...
Well? Are there other specs to compare?

You keep looking for answers we can't provide and probably nobody will. You can compare any other specs, number of powersupplies, types of power supplies, number of dacs, size of the box, weight it will not give you the answer.

I keep claiming that on paper both have features the other are missing and that if you look at the parts/buildup the AVP clearly has more (but cost more) 'specs'.

I got my AVP 5 years ago and with the updates i don't see a logic to even consider the 8801 but if i would have to buy today i would be less sure for one do you buy a product that is end of life ? or one that is just introduced would be a big question for me.

My gut feeling is that if you are not convinced by your AVP and this will keep nagging you then sell it and get a 8801 you might miss the AVP but at least you won't have that nagging question smile.gif

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
danielo is offline  
post #1638 of 12172 Old 01-07-2013, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 8,627
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam88 View Post

Roger, we all want to know if Marantz is perhaps using AL32 or AL24 for that matter in the 8801 and indeed they're not claiming any use of those technologies. I'm just raising the possibility, as was ss9001 (Steve), that they may make use of the technology without any claims in order to preserve some brand differentiation for the Denon label. It's speculation at this point but nevertheless it remains a possibility because of the almost identical design of the digital front-end (minus the Denon Link).
I totally agree.
Quote:
Extension, i.e. an increase of the word length, is a part, albeit optional, of the upsampling technique. Interpolation is the lingo used to describe the action of inserting additional artificially derived sample(s) between two original samples and is a fundamental part of upsampling technologies.
It may be. But you can also increase word length without upsampling, like with Alpha, and as you will see, AL24.
Quote:
The Denon Alpha processor technology was the first PCM upsampling technology developed by Denon and would only increase the word length from 16 to 20 bits. Then they further developed the design of the Alpha processor and AL24 became the second iteration of their upsampling technology; it could extend the word length to 24 bits and the sampling rate up to 192 kHz.
That is the description for Advanced AL24 processing.
Quote:
This Denon AVR-5805 review from Gene DellaSala on Audiholics mentions: "The Denon upsamples all 44kHz signals to 96kHz / 24 bit as per their AL24 bit process.
Perhaps people use the term 'AL24' casually and do not feel the need to state Advanced, or maybe they do not realize there was an older flavor without upsampling. Would be completely reasonable in the context of a review.
Quote:
This other review of the Denon AVP-A1HDCI by John E. Johnson of Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity says: "Denon's Advanced AL 24 Processing upsamples all the audio to 24 bit." wink.gif

This Denon UK brochure for the AVR-4308DAB describes Advanced AL24 in these words: "The Field Programmable Gate Array includes the latest Denon exclusive AL processing algorithms. Advanced AL24 expands the resolution of standard audio signals (CD: 16 bit) to 24 bit (bit extension) and also increases the scanning rate to 192 kHz (upsampling), on all channels.".wink.gif

The manual for the Denon DBP-2012UDCI universal disc player clearly states on page 48 in the "About Advanced AL24 Processing" paragraph: "In addition to data expansion to 24 bit, it conducts natural interpolation processing with no loss of original data by digital upsampling." wink.gif
Quote:
If these quotes don't convince you that AL24 is an upsampling technology, nothing will.
I think we should both be fairly convinced that there are two kinds of AL24 processing, and we need to be precise in how we distinguish between them. Would that not be a fair statement? cool.gif

.

Roger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #1639 of 12172 Old 01-07-2013, 11:47 PM
Senior Member
 
jam88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Montreal
Posts: 413
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielo View Post

Maybe it makes more sense to reverse it. We know that the up sampling/extending part of AL24/AL32 is always used on denon products if any digital work is done. The reason for this is to keep the rest of the audio chain simple. You don 't have to support all the different speeds and depths this is the reason that denon has been very stable in this area where some other brands had problems handling weird speeds and depths.

Makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielo View Post

Since the 4520 is the base of the 8801 the question is why would they turn it off and make their life more difficult ? It seems logical they just left it on either unchanged or slightly changed and don't talk about it.
Daniel.

If you go back and read my first two posts on this subject, this was (and still is) my point of contention, albeit expressed somewhat differently. wink.gif
jam88 is offline  
post #1640 of 12172 Old 01-08-2013, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ss9001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: metro Atlanta
Posts: 8,651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielo View Post

...why would they turn it off and make their life more difficult ? It seems logical they just left it on either unchanged or slightly changed and don't talk about it.Daniel.

for a potential buyer, that's what I would hope smile.gif & I agree is more logical.

they *could* remove the code that implements it, but then the issue you raise of efficiently supporting all the different sampling rates & depths & still provide minimal jitter or artifacts returns.

Pioneer did something similar years ago, even before the SC Ice amp era. and in the Susano SC-09, Pioneer made a pretty big deal about their SRC "sample rate converter" upsampling & reclocking on all sources using a BB chip, which they claimed helped reduce jitter, even for HDMI. Reading Denon manuals from the 5805 on, I had the impression that AL24, Advanced AL24, now AL32, were all for a similar purpose, including getting the signals to 192 hz / 24 or 32 bits.

I think it's very possible that Marantz has it but is not permitted by Denon division to market it. while they could remove the code that implements it on the DSP's for Marantz, it likely would add to costs to maintain separate inventory. Efficiency sort of drives the equation to a marketing agreement wink.gif I admit, it's all speculation on my part.

but we all agree it would be nice if someone could confirm it smile.gif does someone know somebody @ Marantz? wink.gif

Steve
ss9001 is online now  
post #1641 of 12172 Old 01-08-2013, 05:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Wetumpka, AL
Posts: 15,382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieP View Post

That is exactly whats confusing me as well, all inputs is what it appears to me and everything locks up?
Maybe going from router directly to one of those inputs makes the other 3 inputs outputs? Confused as well. I guess I have always worked with a switcher and not a hub is my problem and just don't understand it.

Tried it again last night and for now, it seems to be working o.k.

Since I need 5 network inputs, I couldn't take the switch out of the circuit. Only using the top network connection from the 8801 to the switch...then hardwired to a router....then wired to the modem.

Network was configured as "always on".

Don't you love a hobbie where you can do the exact same thing on two different days and get totally different results. eek.gif

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
JimP is offline  
post #1642 of 12172 Old 01-08-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hifiaudio2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,684
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Is there anything necessary with this Marantz to fully disengage the video processor? Like the front panel trick on the Integra did? Or does simply setting the i/p processing to no, etc, do the trick?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
hifiaudio2 is online now  
post #1643 of 12172 Old 01-08-2013, 10:04 AM
Member
 
dahlgren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post

AVP is also fully balanced and a very high end dual differential dac setup. Maybe the higher SNr of the 8801 is due to the copper sheilding smile.gif

I agree and the THD 0.008% I believe comes from the 32bit DAC.
dahlgren is offline  
post #1644 of 12172 Old 01-08-2013, 10:15 AM
Member
 
dahlgren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

One reason the AVP cost more was that it's designed so its electronics hardware could be easily upgradable (e.g. circuit boards plugged into sockets, etc). The additional complexity of that mechanical design and thus the increased difficulty of assembling the system on a production line was just more expensive. Which meant fewer people would buy it which meant they had to charge even more in order to make a profit.
The 8801 is *not* designed to have its hardware easily upgraded, which results in a less complex and thus less expensive hardware design.

And that was why I purchased it. Prior I had a McIntosh MX132 and technology passed it by. I admit the sound was great but they offer nothing in upgrades, no new matrix, Dolby Digital, DTS, Pro Logic, nothing. You are stuck with a system as is, not one upgrade. I will never buy Mac for SSP ever again. Now for amps that's an all together different story. I believe McIntosh offers the best amps out there. I can never afford new, and as used they are as good as new also hold their price.
dahlgren is offline  
post #1645 of 12172 Old 01-08-2013, 10:41 AM
Member
 
planetbrian777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post

I had a 7005 with hum issues, but when I hooked up my dish rcvr with rgb and a digital-coax for audio, all was good. The dish receiver was passing the "HUM" through the unit and onto the marantz.

My Dish receiver was also causing a hum. To fix my issue, I disconnected the Dish ground cable that is outside my house. I am now able to use HDMI without any hum issues.
planetbrian777 is offline  
post #1646 of 12172 Old 01-08-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ultra 150 pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Western mass
Posts: 1,085
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet but avs sells the 8801, I can tell ya though its worth a call to mike Garrett at avs. Awesome customer service!
ultra 150 pilot is online now  
post #1647 of 12172 Old 01-08-2013, 10:50 AM
Member
 
dahlgren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
T
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielo View Post

You keep looking for answers we can't provide and probably nobody will. You can compare any other specs, number of powersupplies, types of power supplies, number of dacs, size of the box, weight it will not give you the answer.
I keep claiming that on paper both have features the other are missing and that if you look at the parts/buildup the AVP clearly has more (but cost more) 'specs'.
I got my AVP 5 years ago and with the updates i don't see a logic to even consider the 8801 but if i would have to buy today i would be less sure for one do you buy a product that is end of life ? or one that is just introduced would be a big question for me.
My gut feeling is that if you are not convinced by your AVP and this will keep nagging you then sell it and get a 8801 you might miss the AVP but at least you won't have that nagging question smile.gif
Daniel.

Thanks so much. Your thoughts and options help considerably. I agree with the age of the AVP and believe its reached its pentacle. Can't believe and I'm so appreciative Denon built into their system an upgrade path. My MX132 had zero upgrades, obsolete the day I purchased it.

I would like to go 11.2 and have full 32bit processing, no downsampling, with my brand new Marantz UD9004.

I do not want to jeopardize SQ in any way, either digital or analog. So this is where I hesitate.

All Mac amps without full balanced XLR inputs so that at least for now is not an issue.
Denon AVP-A1HDCI
Marantz UD9004

2ea MC 7106 Six-Channel Power Amplifier (bridged mono to front, center, surrounds)
(2 ch to height)
1ea MC 7270 Stereo Power Amplifier (bridged mono to sub)
2nd sub powered
1ea MC 7100 Stereo Power Amplifier (back)

Tannoy Defininition DC8T (front)
Tannoy Definition DC8 (surround)
Tannoy Definition DC6 LCR (center)
Tannoy Revolution DC6 (height & back)
McIntosh SL1 (powered sub)
McIntosh HT-2 (sub)
dahlgren is offline  
post #1648 of 12172 Old 01-08-2013, 10:53 AM
Scott Horton, techht.com
 
GetGray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mid-South USA
Posts: 5,450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Till lightning hits ?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GetGray is offline  
post #1649 of 12172 Old 01-08-2013, 11:11 AM
Member
 
planetbrian777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You might try disconnecting the ground on the satelite connection on the outside of your home. The tech did it for me and it removed that hum. That was one of three different source hums that I had. My plasma TV was one of them (the loudest of the three). I fixed the TV hum by plugging the TV into the same outlet as my preamp. The last hum I was able to get rid of by getting a AV8801.
planetbrian777 is offline  
post #1650 of 12172 Old 01-08-2013, 11:29 AM
Newbie
 
efithian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Mark View Post

Interesting page 31, the 8801 does recieve HD radio. I was wondering when that was going to happen. Is HD radio just like FM? you just scan for the station and thats it?.

HD Radio is available for both AM and FM stations that choose to broadcast it. With HD FM, there can be several subchannels available. You can search for FM Stations using several different modes: Auto; HD-Auto; Analog-Auto; Manual; Analog-Manual; selected with the Options button. You also direct tune by entering the frequency. You can use the +/- Tune button on the remote to go through any of these modes. If you land on a FM station with multiple subchannels, wait until you see HD1, then use the +/- Tune button to select the next subchannel, such as HD2. Any stations can be saved to a preset memory using the Options button. Stations in memory can be selected by pressing the Channel +/- rocker. Some FM HD stations have an AM station on one of their subs.

I was a little dubious about the performance of HD FM on the 8801. I hooked up the FM antenna wire that came with the 8801 and got a ton of stations. This led me to repair and install my Winegard 10-element FM antenna with no preamp. It is on my roof below my TV antennas. I am 50 miles from the transmitters in Philadelphia and I can easily receive all of the major HD FM stations. The quality of the HD FM can vary widely, but most decent stations use a fairly wide bandwidth for the transmission. The maximum possible is 400 kbps, but no station uses more than 300 kbps. Considering that internet stations commonly use 64-128kbps, the quality can be much higher on HD FM. Moreover, the stations come in even when the internet is down.
efithian is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off