post #2611 of 12097 Old 02-06-2013, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeesN View Post

I tried to 'load' a config.dat that I had just saved 10 min. ago. No luck! Now I get : Load Not Completed. Please retry again .

Check and see if the IP address on the 8801 has changed, if so changed it on the web control device your using and your back in ! Mine changed by one number after the update I changed it on my laptop and all is well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 12097 Old 02-07-2013, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Here are some additional observations on the 8801 and the 8807

The 8801 is a keeper for me: it was a relatively easy change from the Denon A-100 and has some additional features that I wanted (particularly the HDMI preview feature). And as mentioned, I think the 8801 sounds better .

Last night I hooked up the 8807 amplifier and spent a few hours listening to the Marantz combo: the audio was slightly brighter than with the EMO XPA – 5, but it still sounded very good.

However after a couple of hours listening at relatively high volume levels I noticed clipping on a particular music passage that I was familiar with: leaving all the settings the same, I quickly reconnected the XPA 5 and replayed the same passage: there was no clipping observed. With this issue, and the fact that the 8807 has fans for cooling, I am thinking of returning the amp: I much prefer an amplifier without fans: but I will say again that the thermal management design of the 8807 is excellent and the fan noise is not that bad.

FYI: speakers are 5.1 system consisting of Focal JM Labs Electra 1000 BE series and Rythmik F15 sub

Tonight I will remount the 8801 using the Marantz rack mount kit and run Audyssey

above is my opinion only.
post #2613 of 12097 Old 02-07-2013, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by retate View Post

Yes it fits perfectly. The correct rack mount kit for the AV8801 was verified with Marantz prior to my order.

I went ahead and ordered the proprietary custom Middle Atlantic rackmount from GetGray. The Marantz rackmount looked fine but I really wanted it to have the same brushed aluminum look as the rest of my rack. Plus I know he is meticulous and spent time getting it perfectly right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2614 of 12097 Old 02-07-2013, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryWaz View Post

Well, I may have an issue with my new AV8801. mad.gif Then again, being a "separates noob," it could be me. wink.gif

After hooking up the AV8801/MM8803 and just my speakers and FM antenna, I turned everything on. I had a loud hum coming from my subwoofer.

After trying some suggestions that I found online--trying a new sub cable, different AC outlets, etc., and the problem not going away---I finally have everything unplugged but the AV8801 and the sub, with one HDMI cable from the AV8801 to the TV for the setup menu and one sub cable (RCA) from the sub to the AV8801. The MM8803 is unplugged and totally out of the loop.

When I then turn the AV8801 on and then the sub, the hum from the sub comes up right away. Funny thing--if I unplug the HDMI cable from the AV8801 to the TV, the hum in the sub goes away. Wonder what's with that? rolleyes.gif

I then tried the same setup with my old AVR4311--cable to sub from the AVR4311 and HDMI cable from the TV to the monitor out on the AV4311. No hum. Whisper quiet from the sub.

Am I looking at getting a replacement AV8801? Any other things I could look at?

Also, the Setup menu sometimes does not want to come up on the TV. I did a reset of the AV8801 and it came back but sometimes after that it's darn near impossible to bring it back up.

Ugh - hum can be HORRIBLE to diagnose correctly, especially if you have a system with multiple dedicated circuits and electronics setups where some devices have a ground plug and some don't. I went through pretty much exactly what you describe. Once I would plug in my HDMI cable, the hum came through all speakers. I kept disconnecting things one by one until I found the real culprit... a Cisco switch (with a fan - probably the brushless fans that are known to inject noise into the line) that did have a ground plug while pretty much everything else did not.

Note that I had this issue with my Integra 80.2 and still with the Marantz when it replaced it (I had not yet diagnosed the issue....I had thought it was with the Integra at first).

But my speakers are powered and the front three are on their own circuit, the 4 subs share two circuits, my lights have 3 or 4 circuits, and my equipment has another circuit, so there are LOTS of trouble areas. I am probably lucky I got it solved.

The only thing I still notice is that if I plug in my laptop which is my HTPC, I get a bit of a "whine" in the signal. It is pretty low volume though and I just lived through it. Its only if the laptop is plugged in. If running off battery I get no whine. When I get some time I will try to mess with which circuit it is plugged into and see if I can eliminate the issue.

Maybe an isolation transformer could help all these issues for me, but those are $2k or more, and I dont fully understand what they do! smile.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2615 of 12097 Old 02-07-2013, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

I much prefer an amplifier without fans: but I will say again that the thermal management design of the 8807 is excellent and the fan noise is not that bad.

I wonder why it has fan at all, my 8003 has 8 channels and it does not have fan. May be I should double check but if it had, it must have never turned on.
post #2616 of 12097 Old 02-07-2013, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply! smile.gif And thanks to RichB also for his quick suggestions also. smile.gif Appreciate everyone's help.

Well, I have the hum from the sub gone for now. biggrin.gif

I had the AV8801 monitor 1 out connected to HDMI 1 on my Sony TV. HDMI 2 on the Sony had the feed coming in from my Radiance XS video processor. When I unplugged HDMI 2 from the TV, the hum went away.

So, for now, I have a workable solution for OSD during setup, the only time I want to see OSD.

After running Audyssey, I have some beautiful FM HD radio playing now. A local classical station. Sounds great so far.

Time now to play some more. cool.gif
post #2617 of 12097 Old 02-07-2013, 07:42 AM

Well, I spoke too soon. Hooked everything else back up and the hum is back.

The hum also goes away when I disconnect the cable TV connection from the wall, which is something RichB suggested to look at. I've tried a new 300-ohm cable and plugging in the set top box in a different outlet. So far, no love. More research . . .

So far I have video separate from the AV8801. May need to try passthrough through that to the Radiance . . .
post #2618 of 12097 Old 02-07-2013, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

^^^

90% of the time it is the cable TV line because it is at a different ground potential:

you need to isolate the grounds (as in 75 ohm isolator sold for this issue) or eliminate the ground potential difference

I use the isolator: mush easier smile.gif
post #2619 of 12097 Old 02-07-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe something from these guys could help you. It was suggested to me on another thread. I never bought anything though, so I cannot vouch for the products.

http://www.21best.com/21_best/electronic/security/video/filters/for_sale_.html#CATV

post #2620 of 12097 Old 02-07-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo.USMC View Post

TaDaaa! I found the workaround on the Logitech forums.

"A better solution to this problem is to set the Power On commoand to be "none" as the input command will power on the unit
Devices>Your AVR>Settings>Power Setting
Then at
Devices>Your AVR>Settings>Adjust Delays
Set the Power On delay to 0ms

This will also speed up the start of all of your Activities
"

I have tested it. This works well.
The only gripe I have now is missing the ir command or setting to switch the rear back surround upmixing OFF on 5.1 DTS sources as in the 4311CI. The current workaround is to manually select "none" in the GUI under speakers, and select "2spkrs" When you need to go from discreet 5.1 to discreet 6 or 7.1......I wish there was another way. Here is to hoping someone comes up with a solution.

Hello All

This works well, but when I try to turn off the Pre Amp still stays switched on. Am I missing something?

Thanks for any help
post #2621 of 12097 Old 02-07-2013, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

^^^

for cable TV hum:

the Isomax is the one I use

note there are 2 models: one is specifically designed for cable return service if you use cable internet
post #2622 of 12097 Old 02-07-2013, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Isolate your cable ground as mentioned. Also, contrary to what some think, avoid brushless DC fans running on AC as they inject noise you can't always hear but that will impact sound quality.
post #2623 of 12097 Old 02-07-2013, 08:21 AM

THANKS everyone! smile.gif

I tried running the cable TV through my power conditioner.

With fingers crossed, problem now seems solved . . . rolleyes.gif
post #2624 of 12097 Old 02-07-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Harrison View Post

My March 2013 issue of Stereophile Magazine with the review of the Marantz AV 8801 by Kal Rubinson arrived today. Part of his closing paragraph: "Overall, the Marantz AV 8801 is the best-sounding preamplifier-processor I have heard at or below its price."

Hmmm. I wonder what is the Underall smile.gif

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #2625 of 12097 Old 02-07-2013, 09:02 AM

Liked: 12
Thanks for your help regarding the Harmony 900. Here is my scenario:

Right now, I have both HDMI outputs of the Oppo 105 connected to the 8801. HDMI 1 out of the 105 goes to the Blu-ray input which I use to watch movies (taking advantage of Audyssey). HDMI 2 goes to the DVD input, but with 7.1 Analog inputs selected for Audio, which I use to listen to DVD-A's and SACD's, taking advantage of the DACs in the Oppo.

This necessitates having the Oppo 105 in DUAL HDMI mode, which diminishes both picture and sound quality (albeit slightly), and is causing handshake issues.

Several members here have suggested just using one input on the 8801 (in other words, everything going in to the Blu-ray input), and getting a Harmony remote so I can program it to "Watch a movie", selecting the Blu-ray input with HDMI audio, and "Listen to BDP", telling it to select Blu-ray input, 7.1 Analog audio, and put it in Pure Direct mode.

I purchased a Harmony 900, and so far so good. The only problem is, I can't figure out how to tell it to change the Audio Input from HDMI to Analog. Member RichB sent me those codes, and suggested I send them to Logitech:

INPUT MODE:AUTO 16 01 15
INPUT MODE:HDMI 16 01 16
INPUT MODE:DIGITAL 16 01 17
INPUT MODE:ANALOG 16 01 18

I've done so this morning, and I'll keep everyone posted as to what they say. In the meantime, if anyone has another suggestion, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

Lee
post #2626 of 12097 Old 02-07-2013, 10:33 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadethoerk View Post

Thank you Mr. Gringo, I just placed an order with my local retailer!! I appreciate the info and looking forward to getting it up and running.biggrin.gif

Great, thanks for the update, good luck, and please let us know what you think of the AV8801 as compared to your Integra 9.9.
post #2627 of 12097 Old 02-07-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadethoerk View Post

Mr. Gringo, I forgot to ask what amp and speakers you are running?
Thanks.

Front L/R: Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature System (driven by a pair of Emotiva UPA-1's)

Center channel: Usher X-616 (driven by Emotiva XPA-5)

Surrounds L/R: Ascend Acoustics HTM 200-SE (driven by Emotiva XPA-5)

Subwoofer: Polk Audio PSW505

A fuller system description appears here.
post #2628 of 12097 Old 02-07-2013, 11:02 AM

Sounds like a nice system,! The unit is back ordered and will be in on the 14th. I hope I don't have any HDMI head aches with this unit or other gremlins.
post #2629 of 12097 Old 02-07-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo.USMC View Post

Saving & loading work for me actually. Mine is 726KB large. Check the size. I would hate to lose a perfectly good xt32 8pt measurement as well...

The size of my Config.dat is 727 KB (European software on the Marantz). And yes, I lost my 8pt measurement mad.gif
post #2630 of 12097 Old 02-07-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:

Today I couldn't log in to the web interface of the AV8801. It displayed "installer locked". As I did a "save" of all my settings yesterday, I did a complete reset. Now I could get into the web interface again, and I tried a 'Load'. To my disappointment this didn't work. I get the following error: Load Not Completed. The version of config.dat is different. Please check your config.dat.
I don't understand how the version of the Config.dat can be different, as I did the save after the firmware upgrade.
Anyone any ideas?

I found the solution: it's the combination of operating system and browser....
Combination Windows Vista + Explorer or Windows Vista + Chrome do not work.
The combination Windows 7 + Explorer does work.
ah well, need to get new PC then
post #2631 of 12097 Old 02-07-2013, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:

I found the solution: it's the combination of operating system and browser....
Combination Windows Vista + Explorer or Windows Vista + Chrome do not work.
The combination Windows 7 + Explorer does work.
ah well, need to get new PC then

I use Google Chrome as well, and it simply has the old ip address just enter the new one and save it again, I suspect when you used IE it simply found the new ip address , no need for a new PC;)
post #2632 of 12097 Old 02-07-2013, 01:03 PM

How do I make sure all my zones are off? I only use the main zone but when I look at my web interface it says the rest of them are on.

post #2633 of 12097 Old 02-07-2013, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Video issues with the PS3 and other BDPs can often be resolved by setting the "Deep Color Output" setting to OFF.

Can you elaborate on Deep Color causing issues? I have not heard this before.

post #2634 of 12097 Old 02-07-2013, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Check and see if the IP address on the 8801 has changed, if so changed it on the web control device your using and your back in ! Mine changed by one number after the update I changed it on my laptop and all is well.

Sounds like you're using DHCP. Best to assign a static IP to the Marantz. Also useful if using a TCP based remote control like Roomie.
post #2635 of 12097 Old 02-07-2013, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryWaz View Post

Well, I spoke too soon. Hooked everything else back up and the hum is back.

The hum also goes away when I disconnect the cable TV connection from the wall, which is something RichB suggested to look at. I've tried a new 300-ohm cable and plugging in the set top box in a different outlet. So far, no love. More research . . .

So far I have video separate from the AV8801. May need to try passthrough through that to the Radiance . . .

I used to have hum from my cable input. A Jensen transformer got rid of the hum:

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/datashts/vrd1ff.pdf
post #2636 of 12097 Old 02-07-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post

In my experience, it can cause bandwidth issues with certain HDMI cables.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #2637 of 12097 Old 02-07-2013, 03:53 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked: 1493
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post

Suffice it to say that when the PS3 or any other brand of BDP is having video connection issues, setting the Deep Color Output to OFF generally resolves the issue. smile.gif

---------------------------------
"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #2638 of 12097 Old 02-07-2013, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by leefarber View Post

Thanks for your help regarding the Harmony 900. Here is my scenario:

Right now, I have both HDMI outputs of the Oppo 105 connected to the 8801. HDMI 1 out of the 105 goes to the Blu-ray input which I use to watch movies (taking advantage of Audyssey). HDMI 2 goes to the DVD input, but with 7.1 Analog inputs selected for Audio, which I use to listen to DVD-A's and SACD's, taking advantage of the DACs in the Oppo.

This necessitates having the Oppo 105 in DUAL HDMI mode, which diminishes both picture and sound quality (albeit slightly), and is causing handshake issues.

Several members here have suggested just using one input on the 8801 (in other words, everything going in to the Blu-ray input), and getting a Harmony remote so I can program it to "Watch a movie", selecting the Blu-ray input with HDMI audio, and "Listen to BDP", telling it to select Blu-ray input, 7.1 Analog audio, and put it in Pure Direct mode.

I purchased a Harmony 900, and so far so good. The only problem is, I can't figure out how to tell it to change the Audio Input from HDMI to Analog. Member RichB sent me those codes, and suggested I send them to Logitech:

INPUT MODE:AUTO 16 01 15
INPUT MODE:HDMI 16 01 16
INPUT MODE:DIGITAL 16 01 17
INPUT MODE:ANALOG 16 01 18

I've done so this morning, and I'll keep everyone posted as to what they say. In the meantime, if anyone has another suggestion, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

Lee
Keep us posted!

HTPC/Gaming Rig:
Silverstone CW02B, I7 3930K, 16GB, ASUS Rampage IV Formula
EVGA Signature Titan> 70 inch ELITE PRO-70X5FD
Auzen HDMI XFi> 7.2 via Marantz AV8801>Wyred4Sound, & Emotiva Amps>Paradigm 100'sV5, ADP590'sV5, 690v5, 20v5's, + Dual HSU-ULS15 Subs

Controlling: Two CX7000ES's via MyMovies
post #2639 of 12097 Old 02-07-2013, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by randman View Post

Sounds like you're using DHCP. Best to assign a static IP to the Marantz. Also useful if using a TCP based remote control like Roomie.
+1 for static IP

HTPC/Gaming Rig:
Silverstone CW02B, I7 3930K, 16GB, ASUS Rampage IV Formula
EVGA Signature Titan> 70 inch ELITE PRO-70X5FD
Auzen HDMI XFi> 7.2 via Marantz AV8801>Wyred4Sound, & Emotiva Amps>Paradigm 100'sV5, ADP590'sV5, 690v5, 20v5's, + Dual HSU-ULS15 Subs

Controlling: Two CX7000ES's via MyMovies
post #2640 of 12097 Old 02-07-2013, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

I would agree with my colleague on this statement. Hopefully my review will be fast tracked to the web.

Please thoroughly measure the unit. I'm anxious to see how this bad boy measures!

-Brian

Brian R. Smith
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page