Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread - Page 316 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #9451 of 12219 Old 12-14-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
audiofan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post

The power cord does not matter. You will see zero improvement from it. The AV8801 has a great power supply that's more than capable of removing the noise shown on the oscilloscope plot (assuming it's an actual before and after plot which I'm pretty sure it's not). Don't take me the wrong way, I respect others opinions, but this is AV Science after all. Well, I guess psychology is a science...

On a brighter note, I finally re-bought that AV8801 I sent back to amazon many months ago since they sent me the wrong unit (was an amazon warehouse open-box deal that didn't even have an AV8801 in it!?!). Seems the new a-stock price has dropped significantly from a certain seller on ebay, making the AV8801 an even better buy. However, you guys have me worried with all the pictures of fans above your AV8801. I was hoping it'd run cooler than my Onkyo did!?!

I do believe that in science if you change a variable you change a result and until you've done your due diligence and tried different power cables on different pieces of gear and found them to your liking or not, your point is of no value to those that have indeed found a more than significant improvement for the lack of a better word of course . Science is what it is, a study of fact (which indeed vary and change) and is not an absolute in terms of what we poor ,misguided and not able to hear or measure what a machine of our creation does humans! but neither will that machine always get the interpretation of what one may consider right to his or her ears. Perhaps in time we can feed the measuring gear more data to get closer to the complete picture of what we indeed do hear , process and interpret what is good sound, until then I will do as I have always done and that is just listen and decide smile.gif

welcome back to the club wink.gif
zuluwalker likes this.
audiofan1 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9452 of 12219 Old 12-14-2013, 05:36 PM
Member
 
leadliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: West Chester, Pennsylvania
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewa View Post

We should call this the 8801 cooling thread tongue.gif I'm thinking of moving to 11.1 I have seen in a few discussion threads that there are a few 8801 owners using this capability. Any thoughts around setup and use, that you can share with other owners looking to join you
i have 11.1 i dont use that often. 7 channeles is enough unless you have a large room. my room is about 15x15 with 8x8 bar area behind my seated position. dredd was pretty cool cause its optomised in dts neox for 11 channels. seems like all the dts hd master movies have been in 7 channels lately and its amazing with 7. when i got the 8801 and the 8077 i got it at cost so i keeped my mm9000 picked up studio 20s at a great price, to go with my paradigm studio 60s and 8in sonance in walls for the front effects in the ceiling. it was very easy to do 11channels for me. i hope they start making movies in 11 channels cause it would be cool to have the separation moving around the room , instead of a blended wall of sound. hope this helps you make your decision.
leadliner is offline  
post #9453 of 12219 Old 12-14-2013, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Woof Woof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,497
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I don't get it. If you are already hooked up for 11.1, why not use it?

I personally find the sound field of all 11 speakers to be phenomenal, with the wide speakers in particular to be very very good, even when I watching a TV show like CSI.
Woof Woof is online now  
post #9454 of 12219 Old 12-15-2013, 04:55 AM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 45,320
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1433 Post(s)
Liked: 1607
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post

The power cord does not matter. You will see zero improvement from it. The AV8801 has a great power supply that's more than capable of removing the noise shown on the oscilloscope plot (assuming it's an actual before and after plot which I'm pretty sure it's not). Don't take me the wrong way, I respect others opinions, but this is AV Science after all. Well, I guess psychology is a science...

On a brighter note, I finally re-bought that AV8801 I sent back to amazon many months ago since they sent me the wrong unit (was an amazon warehouse open-box deal that didn't even have an AV8801 in it!?!). Seems the new a-stock price has dropped significantly from a certain seller on ebay, making the AV8801 an even better buy. However, you guys have me worried with all the pictures of fans above your AV8801. I was hoping it'd run cooler than my Onkyo did!?!

Question is whether the seller was an "authorized dealer" otherwise Marantz will not honor the warranty if repair work is required. frown.gif

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #9455 of 12219 Old 12-15-2013, 05:00 AM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 45,320
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1433 Post(s)
Liked: 1607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof View Post

I don't get it. If you are already hooked up for 11.1, why not use it?

I personally find the sound field of all 11 speakers to be phenomenal, with the wide speakers in particular to be very very good, even when I watching a TV show like CSI.

Agreed. The addition of Front Wide speakers is a nice expansion of the front surround field. As a reminder for those using the Front Wides, regardless of whether using DSX or DTS Neo;X, the audio is derived from the FL/FR/SL/SR speakers.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #9456 of 12219 Old 12-15-2013, 05:29 AM
Member
 
leadliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: West Chester, Pennsylvania
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof View Post

I don't get it. If you are already hooked up for 11.1, why not use it?

I personally find the sound field of all 11 speakers to be phenomenal, with the wide speakers in particular to be very very good, even when I watching a TV show like CSI.
just being lazy dont feel like bending down to turn the mm9000 on and off and like i said i am satisfied with out it.
leadliner is offline  
post #9457 of 12219 Old 12-15-2013, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
g_bartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: cleveland, oh
Posts: 3,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post

The power cord does not matter. You will see zero improvement from it. The AV8801 has a great power supply that's more than capable of removing the noise shown on the oscilloscope plot (assuming it's an actual before and after plot which I'm pretty sure it's not). Don't take me the wrong way, I respect others opinions, but this is AV Science after all. Well, I guess psychology is a science...

On a brighter note, I finally re-bought that AV8801 I sent back to amazon many months ago since they sent me the wrong unit (was an amazon warehouse open-box deal that didn't even have an AV8801 in it!?!). Seems the new a-stock price has dropped significantly from a certain seller on ebay, making the AV8801 an even better buy. However, you guys have me worried with all the pictures of fans above your AV8801. I was hoping it'd run cooler than my Onkyo did!?!

My equipment is in a small, dedicated closet. I always keep the door open and have a fan running when the equipment is in use. When I had my Integra DHC-80.2 running, it felt like an oven in there. Not the case with the 8801. I know it runs a little warm but compared to the Integra, it's an ice box.

g_bartman is online now  
post #9458 of 12219 Old 12-15-2013, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
etc6849's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 63
The ebay listings say they are authorized and items include a warranty. Maybe not though. However, I can buy a third party warranty, and still have a much cheaper transaction by hundreds compared to what AVS wanted to ship me one for. Sorry, as a buyer, I'll always chose the best overall deal.

The whole "authorized dealer" stuff is scare tactics. There's always third party warranties you can buy and come out cheaper if you're going to lose sleep at night over it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Question is whether the seller was an "authorized dealer" otherwise Marantz will not honor the warranty if repair work is required. frown.gif

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
etc6849 is offline  
post #9459 of 12219 Old 12-15-2013, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
etc6849's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 63
PS: AVS wanted $450 more than the guy by the time you add shipping cost. AVS doesn't stock the thing or have a store front either, but somehow are "authorized" while they state many ebay dealers aren't (without even contacting the place first). If folks want to pay $450 more for something to a dealer who thinks their time is worth $400+/hour, feel free.

There's also numerous buyer protections from ebay and paypal if you think the guy isn't selling a-stock, new in box items with a warranty as stated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Question is whether the seller was an "authorized dealer" otherwise Marantz will not honor the warranty if repair work is required. frown.gif

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
etc6849 is offline  
post #9460 of 12219 Old 12-15-2013, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Woof Woof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,497
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadliner View Post

just being lazy dont feel like bending down to turn the mm9000 on and off and like i said i am satisfied with out it.

I have my Bel Cantos REF1000Ms on permanently for my side surround speakers.

But I use the trigger to get the Wyred4Sound ICEBox MC to power up when the AV8801 is on. No hassle smile.gif
Woof Woof is online now  
post #9461 of 12219 Old 12-15-2013, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
comfynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northeast PA.
Posts: 4,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof View Post

I have my Bel Cantos REF1000Ms on permanently for my side surround speakers.

But I use the trigger to get the Wyred4Sound ICEBox MC to power up when the AV8801 is on. No hassle smile.gif



How are you liking your class D sound, do you feel like your missing anything over other amps you've owned?
comfynumb is offline  
post #9462 of 12219 Old 12-15-2013, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
exm
AVS Special Member
 
exm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NYY
Posts: 1,321
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadliner View Post

just being lazy dont feel like bending down to turn the mm9000 on and off and like i said i am satisfied with out it.

Why don't you have the MM9000 triggered?
exm is offline  
post #9463 of 12219 Old 12-15-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 18,727
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1922 Post(s)
Liked: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post

The ebay things says they are authorized and includes warranty. Maybe not though. However, I can buy a third party warranty, and still have a much cheaper transaction by hundreds compared to what AVS wanted to ship me one for. Sorry, as a buyer, I'll always chose the best overall deal.

The whole "authorized dealer" stuff is scare tactics. There's always third party warranties you can buy and come out cheaper if you're going to lose sleep at night over it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Question is whether the seller was an "authorized dealer" otherwise Marantz will not honor the warranty if repair work is required. frown.gif

 

I am always surprised that in the USA, which is normally seen as a champion of consumer rights by us in the UK, manufacturers are allowed to get away with this 'authorised dealer' schtick. It's one of the few areas we are ahead I think. Here in the UK we are protected by EU law which guarantees a minimum 2 year warranty on any electrical items, regardless of what the manufacturer says and regardless of where the product was purchased, so long as it was within the EU. 

 

I can't see how the reliability of a product somehow becomes dependent on where it was bought. If it is a genuine (not counterfeit) product then its reliability ought to be honoured by the manufacturer regardless of who sold it, IMO. Maybe I am missing something, but this is how it works for 500,000,000 people in the EU.

kbarnes701 is offline  
post #9464 of 12219 Old 12-15-2013, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
etc6849's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Maybe your old power cord had a loose connection (which isn't likely on a quality made in Japan product, but it's possible). Assuming that's true, a $1.99 cord from monoprice will perform the same as the $995 power cord linked above. To say otherwise reflects that you believe electrical engineering is some sort of pseudo-science, which it's not obviously since it just happens the manufacturer uses those same electrical engineering principals to design the unit. As previously stated, the AC power does not directly power the pre-amplifiers inside the unit. There is a massive power supply inside that does that by converting the power from AC to DC. There will be no benefit to using a $995 power cord.

If either of you guys really have the $995 power cord, show some pictures of it hooked up to your AV8801. Otherwise, I'm just going to assume you are out there to just annoy people or worse yet zulu is advertising a scam product (why else would zulu post screen shots of fake oscilloscope plots hand picked from the manufacturer's website?). It could be neither is the case, but it's suspicious how you each posted within 20 minutes of one another. Until I see some pictures of the thing hooked up to an AV8801, I'm going to assume this is the case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluwalker View Post

Clearly you have kept an open mind. I am definitely enjoying the notiable benefits of "zero". I will wait for your reply about how I ignore the science, and must also believe in witchcraft, blah blah blah.

Too bad you left ZERO room to allow for other facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

I do believe that in science if you change a variable you change a result and until you've done your due diligence and tried different power cables on different pieces of gear and found them to your liking or not, your point is of no value to those that have indeed found a more than significant improvement for the lack of a better word of course . Science is what it is, a study of fact (which indeed vary and change) and is not an absolute in terms of what we poor ,misguided and not able to hear or measure what a machine of our creation does humans! but neither will that machine always get the interpretation of what one may consider right to his or her ears. Perhaps in time we can feed the measuring gear more data to get closer to the complete picture of what we indeed do hear , process and interpret what is good sound, until then I will do as I have always done and that is just listen and decide smile.gif

welcome back to the club wink.gif

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
etc6849 is offline  
post #9465 of 12219 Old 12-15-2013, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member
 
etc6849's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I think most in the US agree. If there was a known defect and Marantz had a recall, I think they'd have to repair the unit. If they didn't I'd spend the $40 and take them to small claims court; I'm pretty sure they'd lose.

However, if it breaks and there's not 1000 other people with the same issue, I could have to pay for the repair without a third party warranty, depending on what the company invoice says when the unit comes (they may actually have got the unit from one of the two main Marantz distributors, in which case, it should be covered). Either way, I don't care. I'm not willing to pay an extra $1250 + tax at a local dealer (let alone the $450 more on a phone order).

Further it will have zero effect on the resale value of the unit. Marantz clearly states that only the original purchaser is covered by the warranty. So it's the same as buying a used unit (only I bought a new unit for less money due to the price break).
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

I am always surprised that in the USA, which is normally seen as a champion of consumer rights by us in the UK, manufacturers are allowed to get away with this 'authorised dealer' schtick. It's one of the few areas we are ahead I think. Here in the UK we are protected by EU law which guarantees a minimum 2 year warranty on any electrical items, regardless of what the manufacturer says and regardless of where the product was purchased, so long as it was within the EU. 

I can't see how the reliability of a product somehow becomes dependent on where it was bought. If it is a genuine (not counterfeit) product then its reliability ought to be honoured by the manufacturer regardless of who sold it, IMO. Maybe I am missing something, but this is how it works for 500,000,000 people in the EU.

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
etc6849 is offline  
post #9466 of 12219 Old 12-15-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
comfynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northeast PA.
Posts: 4,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

I am always surprised that in the USA, which is normally seen as a champion of consumer rights by us in the UK, manufacturers are allowed to get away with this 'authorised dealer' schtick. It's one of the few areas we are ahead I think. Here in the UK we are protected by EU law which guarantees a minimum 2 year warranty on any electrical items, regardless of what the manufacturer says and regardless of where the product was purchased, so long as it was within the EU. 

I can't see how the reliability of a product somehow becomes dependent on where it was bought. If it is a genuine (not counterfeit) product then its reliability ought to be honoured by the manufacturer regardless of who sold it, IMO. Maybe I am missing something, but this is how it works for 500,000,000 people in the EU.



Too many people with an "angle" here in the US, I for one would welcome a clamp down because only God knows where some get their electronics at.
comfynumb is offline  
post #9467 of 12219 Old 12-15-2013, 08:42 AM
Just add water and stir
 
zuluwalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,637
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post

Maybe your old power cord had a loose connection (which isn't likely on a quality made in Japan product, but it's possible).

This is indeed the case. It was loose, I wrote that when I wrote to the whole community here on this thread. I checked to see if it was loose after several members made the suggestion to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

I had excessive hiss from my speakers and discovered the AV8801 power cord was not making a good connection.
I could get it to go away by wiggling the plug.

It's worth a try.

- Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hifi4Hobby View Post

Somehow the lose connection within the plug/socket can make such an impact..hence i always try to avoid molded power cords because they're usually soldered within and quality can be inconsistent at times and you're unable to re-tighten the connections from time to time.

Did you replaced the cord, Rich?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

I haven't had this problem with my setup. I'm not using the stock cord though, a colleague sent me some uber-expensive Audioquest power cords to try out and I've been using them for a while. I need to switch back to stock and see if I can tell a difference or not.

Assuming that's true, a $1.99 cord from monoprice will perform the same as the $995 power cord linked above.

Have you tested this? What results have you completed to have this certainty?

To say otherwise reflects that you believe electrical engineering is some sort of pseudo-science, which it's not obviously since it just happens the manufacturer uses those same electrical engineering principals to design the unit.

It is pretty obvious what I believe, no need to infer. I bought a product and enjoyed a reduction in hiss, by half of what was previously bothering me. Of course, my purchase of this cord, is also up there with committing an atrocity on AVS. Since only certain purchases are sanctioned by user like yourself. In fact you desire to influence myself and others with your opinions, has caused you to act in way that borders on insult. If I had spent as little as possible, this would have made you happier, such as a monoprice cord. Well in my home, I like to spend money on fun things, and try out new gear. As a result sometimes I spend way too much. Other times I must budget. If you feel like I should run my life and purchases in the future past you, your in for a shock. I live in a free country, and on this website, I have learned that ten people will write you support, and at least an equal number will disagree. That is a good thing. It creates discussion and debate. Attacking a person as a believer of "pseudo science", seems counter productive.

As previously stated, the AC power does not directly power the pre-amplifiers inside the unit. There is a massive power supply inside that does that by converting the power from AC to DC. There will be no benefit to using a $995 power cord.

Again you have left "No" room for any other option. That is not good for a community that shares different opinions and debates. Even if you disagree with my purchases, some room, must left to account for the possibility that it helped. I found it did help. My response to the community was not "Hey everyone I found the only way to stop a hiss." I wrote about my experiences only.

If either of you guys really have the $995 power cord, show some pictures of it hooked up to your AV8801.

As much as it pains me to submit to you on this point. I will show you some pics, simply because I think you are looking for way to shut this down.

Otherwise, I'm just going to assume you are out there to just annoy people or worse yet zulu is advertising a scam product (why else would zulu post screen shots of fake oscilloscope plots hand picked from the manufacturer's website?).

I did indeed post those from the manufactures website. I posted a link at the time of that, so others could go look it up. As for them being fake, I can not speak to because I am not an expert in such matters. I have never stated as such either. I bought a product, posted a link to what is was and then left it for others. Am I to assume you have never posted a screen shot or posted a link after making a purchase? This is something I do all time with many products. I do not represent those products either. A different opinions voiced on AVS will undoubtedly annoy people here. Then they are given the choice to debate it, leave it alone, or agree. You have been a member for long enough to know that. If you want to go and join a site called "WE ALL AGREE ON EVERYTHING", then that is your choice too.

It could be neither is the case, but it's suspicious how you each posted within 20 minutes of one another.

Have you never received an update straight to your smart phone before? It allows you respond within minutes of a post. If you have not done this yet, I strongly suggest you try so. It can increase the responsiveness of the community. It does sound like a conspiracy theory though. That may be hard to prove, or disprove. It may even cause you further annoyances. Rest assured though I am involved in no conspiracy.

Until I see some pictures of the thing hooked up to an AV8801, I'm going to assume this is the case.

Pic posted below. If you wanted a picture of this all along. Just ask next time. Myself and many members love to post pictures. I have a build thread in my signature. And excellent place for more of my pictures.

zuluwalker is offline  
post #9468 of 12219 Old 12-15-2013, 09:12 AM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 45,320
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1433 Post(s)
Liked: 1607
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post

The ebay listings say they are authorized and items include a warranty. Maybe not though. However, I can buy a third party warranty, and still have a much cheaper transaction by hundreds compared to what AVS wanted to ship me one for. Sorry, as a buyer, I'll always chose the best overall deal.

The whole "authorized dealer" stuff is scare tactics. There's always third party warranties you can buy and come out cheaper if you're going to lose sleep at night over it.

Easy enough to check Marantz's website to determine if the seller is authorized or not. In most cases (but not all) eBay sellers are indeed NOT authorized. Scare tactics? Hardly. Rather simply the truth as posted on Marantz's website. Without purchasing from an "authorized dealer" Marantz will not honor the warranty. Also some would prefer to support one of the several forum sponsors that helps to ensure the continued existence of this forum.




Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post

PS: AVS wanted $450 more than the guy by the time you add shipping cost. AVS doesn't stock the thing or have a store front either, but somehow are "authorized" while they state many ebay dealers aren't (without even contacting the place first). If folks want to pay $450 more for something to a dealer who thinks their time is worth $400+/hour, feel free.

There's also numerous buyer protections from ebay and paypal if you think the guy isn't selling a-stock, new in box items with a warranty as stated.

You mean no store front as in the case of Amazon? Why stock it in the warehouse when the distributor can drop ship the same day or next day it's ordered? Logistics. AVScience is listed on Marantz's website as an authorized dealer so there's no doubt on this point. wink.gif


---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #9469 of 12219 Old 12-15-2013, 09:15 AM
Member
 
DanielG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
On the authorized vs. unauthorized conversation I have a few questions/comments ... Not really just a Marantz issue but figured I would throw this out here because of some of the above posts....

Given the quantity of units/dealers who are unauthorized, I assume that they get the new in box units from the company or distributor - is that true? Or alternatively, the only other way they could get them is from dealers who want to boost their own volume but that wouldn't occur unless the companies/distributors offer volume discounts to their retailers - perhaps they do but I don't know (I have heard about quarterly or annual volume rebates on TVs for the huge dealers that sell many hundreds or thousands of units).

Could the companies be selling them directly (or knowingly indirectly) to the unauthorized dealers to increase their own volumes and do so without the warranty so that the extra volume doesn't burden them in any way in the future? No warranty means no responsibility or cost for those units and so just a bump to the bottom line by extra volume.

If a company like Marantz only sells to distributors and the distributors only sell to authorized dealers, how could so many units be in the hands of unauthorized dealers? I haven't heard of counterfeit issues and so, unless they come from dealers boosting volume, either Marantz or distributors getting the units from Marantz sell to unauthorized dealers. Those sales benefit both Marantz and the distributor as long as they do not hurt their retail stores enough to jeopardize the benefit that they get from the retail stores. The only way left to protect their retail stores (and themselves) then is through the absence of a warranty on the unauthorized sales. I do think that many people including myself value the warranty. However, with the ubiquity of square trade warranties for anything at this point, the only thing left is the benefit to Marantz of avoiding the costs of warranty service - though, perhaps irrationally, I personally value the direct warranty on something like this at perhaps $100 or so over a square trade warranty.

I also value buying from a true authorized dealer because of their support - which is why I would be willing to buy from an authorized dealer for an amount over the eBay price equal to the square trade warranty plus a small margin for the warranty plus another margin for knowing that I am buying from an authorized dealer. For me these added benefits don't add up to the $800-950 spread that my local authorized dealers wanted over the eBay price but they do bridge for me the $450 that a poster mentioned above. As a result, I bought from an authorized dealer.
DanielG is offline  
post #9470 of 12219 Old 12-15-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 18,727
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1922 Post(s)
Liked: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post

The ebay listings say they are authorized and items include a warranty. Maybe not though. However, I can buy a third party warranty, and still have a much cheaper transaction by hundreds compared to what AVS wanted to ship me one for. Sorry, as a buyer, I'll always chose the best overall deal.

The whole "authorized dealer" stuff is scare tactics. There's always third party warranties you can buy and come out cheaper if you're going to lose sleep at night over it.

Easy enough to check Marantz's website to determine if the seller is authorized or not. In most cases (but not all) eBay sellers are indeed NOT authorized. Scare tactics? Hardly. Rather simply the truth as posted on Marantz's website. Without purchasing from an "authorized dealer" Marantz will not honor the warranty. Also some would prefer to support one of the several forum sponsors that helps to ensure the continued existence of this forum.



 

 

Yes, although I am baffled by the manufacturer refusing to honour a warranty in any circumstances, there is much to be said for buying from reputable sources (note that reputable is not the same as authorised though). 

 

I imagine that if the warranty thing was ever challenged in court, it would go the consumer's way rather than the way of the manufacturer. The consumer can hardly be expected to know which retailers the manufacturer has 'authorised'. Checking the wording on the manufacturer's website is one way to be sure, so long as the website is kept up to date, which often they aren't, but I doubt if the manufacturer could make such checking a legally valid requirement for the buyer. And if it can't be made a mandatory thing for a buyer to do, then it's difficult to see how it could be used to deny a warranty claim if the buyer had failed to make the check.

 

I always try to buy from reputable dealers as the support they give if anything goes wrong can be worth a lot. And you make a good point about supporting AVS and its advertisers - this fabulous resource is provided to us free of charge, but I am sure as heck that it isn't free for AVS to operate!

RichB likes this.
kbarnes701 is offline  
post #9471 of 12219 Old 12-15-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 7,228
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 433
A brief comment on after-market power cords:
while many manufacturers are using snake-oil tactics, with advertisements about fancy cryogenic treatments, aligned copper grains, etc, it's clear that some do add some value. In particular, those which show crt traces with high frequency noise on the power input and none on the output obviously include low-pass filters in the design and construction of their products. Evidently, that's the case for the power cable that zuluwalker has: high frequency noise removed = low pass filter.

Similar noise reduction can be obtained by using separate products like Tripp Lite isobars or the equivalent.
zuluwalker likes this.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is online now  
post #9472 of 12219 Old 12-15-2013, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dholmes54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Edmonton, Kentucky
Posts: 1,029
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I just got the cx-a5000 yamaha pre-pro from Mike on avs sales & before I bought it I noticed that avs wasnt on Yamahas list of dealers but I bought it anyway,thought Id be safe buying from avs science! ps avs sales are good folks to buy from this was my second purchase.
dholmes54 is offline  
post #9473 of 12219 Old 12-15-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
comfynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northeast PA.
Posts: 4,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 409
I'd be afraid I was buying a stolen piece of gear, and don't think for a second some of the ones from unauthorized speakers aren't.
comfynumb is offline  
post #9474 of 12219 Old 12-15-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 7,228
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 433
I doubt that AVS (or Mike) would be selling stolen equipment. They carry no inventory. Equipment is shipped directly from the manufacturers' warehouses to their customers. It'd be easy enough to check the (ups, fedex, etc) external shipping labels to see where it came from.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is online now  
post #9475 of 12219 Old 12-15-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
comfynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northeast PA.
Posts: 4,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 409
I meant from unauthorized dealers smile.gif
Meaning I'd be afraid to buy a brand new piece of gear off of eBay or anyone else that isn't authorized.
comfynumb is offline  
post #9476 of 12219 Old 12-15-2013, 10:20 AM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 45,320
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1433 Post(s)
Liked: 1607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

I doubt that AVS (or Mike) would be selling stolen equipment. They carry no inventory. Equipment is shipped directly from the manufacturers' warehouses to their customers. It'd be easy enough to check the (ups, fedex, etc) external shipping labels to see where it came from.

Whether an item is carried in inventory at the AV Science warehouse or drop shipped from the distributor/mfr in some cases is determined by lead time to obtain the item to ensure quicker turn around to the customer (eg. there is a Yamaha RX-A3030 in inventory at the moment). And regarding the Yamaha listing (or lack thereof), Yamaha is working to resolve this however, as is noted on the Marantz warranty notice previously posted, when in doubt of a dealer's authenticity as an authorized dealer, you can also call the manufacturer.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #9477 of 12219 Old 12-15-2013, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 7,228
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 433
JD,

Thanks for the clarification!

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is online now  
post #9478 of 12219 Old 12-15-2013, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
exm
AVS Special Member
 
exm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NYY
Posts: 1,321
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

Folks... You got me concerned about temperature on my AV8801. My AV8801 is on a lot (my wife uses it during the day), and as you can see there is not a lot of space on top:



I purchased this USB fan: AC Infinity AI-MPF80A, which is quiet (requirement!): 26 CFM| Noise: 22 dBA

From reading here, I need to "turn off the network hub and the rear usb port selected." (not sure why the network hub needs to be off, not that I use it?) to connect it using USB.

What would you recommend:
1. Place the fan on top of the unit, rear/left pulling air out
2. Mounting it at the back blowing air over the top of unit
3. Mounting it at the back pulling air out from the top of the unit

I am leaning towards option #1, but I have about 1 1/4" of space between the top and the shelf above so it might not be sufficient since the fan itself is 1" leaving only 1/4" for airflow.

Thoughts?

I got my thermometer in which I connected. No fans yet. Temperature is 110 degrees at the rear left.
exm is offline  
post #9479 of 12219 Old 12-15-2013, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
etc6849's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 63
All good points discussed above. However, has anyone here actually been refused warranty service from Marantz/Denon over buying from an "unauthorized" dealer? I've never owned a Marantz/Denon product. However, I know for Sony there are similar declarations, but I've read several times folks just take their receipt to a service center and the item is repaired under warranty.

I also support AVS everytime I visit as there are ads all over the place. I'm not against buying from AVS and tried. I'll always pick what's cheapest and the best deal overall. The lowest possible price anywhere (PM if you want to know what it was) with free two day shipping to my door made it hard to say no. It was the most I was willing to pay for the thing at any rate.

Realize, I'm not saying it's a scare tactic by AVS (although it certainly is used as one by many dealers), but it is for sure a failed price fixing strategy on Marantz's part. I'm not sure why a person calling a distributor (such as AVAD) to drop ship warrants a $475+ profit (assuming you use AVAD's wholesale price), but... Even AVAD clearly states on their site AVAD resellers are not allowed to sale on the internet or via catalog (http://avad.com/home/become-a-dealer). Now, if ordering over the phone is allowable: that's another discussion.

I don't think the seller is not reputable for not abiding my Marantz's pricing requirements. They probably went through a different entity so they likely have no direct contractual agreement with Marantz/Denon. I think the ebay seller is a great example of what a free market with no price fixing looks like. Certainly one seller shouldn't say another isn't reputable when they maybe stretching the rules a bit themselves. Realize, I'm not talking about AVS as I don't know they use AVAD, but I know most places do (several that I did call).

I have 30 days to purchase the square trade warranty (go to squaretrade.com and enter the item id, it comes up as eligible and costs $239.99 for 3 years). The first 45 days are protected via ebay's buyer protection. I figure I'll research the warranty thing once I see under what entity it is invoiced. On paper, it may very well have a warranty, don't know yet. There's ebay buyer protection so I doubt infiniti-electronics on ebay are selling stolen goods. If they are, I'd like to see how they have 599 buy it now items (many of those are multiple listings too). That's a lot of stolen goods!

Obviously Marantz or one of it's distributors doesn't care about small dealers and provides great volume pricing if one takes a risk and orders enough. That's economics. Hard to say if the place has a separate entity that ordered a bunch at once or if they're going through a distributor. You can bet their margins are razor tight if you subract off ebay, paypal, and UPS shipping fees.

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
etc6849 is offline  
post #9480 of 12219 Old 12-15-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
audiofan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post

Maybe your old power cord had a loose connection (which isn't likely on a quality made in Japan product, but it's possible). Assuming that's true, a $1.99 cord from monoprice will perform the same as the $995 power cord linked above. To say otherwise reflects that you believe electrical engineering is some sort of pseudo-science, which it's not obviously since it just happens the manufacturer uses those same electrical engineering principals to design the unit. As previously stated, the AC power does not directly power the pre-amplifiers inside the unit. There is a massive power supply inside that does that by converting the power from AC to DC. There will be no benefit to using a $995 power cord.

If either of you guys really have the $995 power cord, show some pictures of it hooked up to your AV8801. Otherwise, I'm just going to assume you are out there to just annoy people or worse yet zulu is advertising a scam product (why else would zulu post screen shots of fake oscilloscope plots hand picked from the manufacturer's website?). It could be neither is the case, but it's suspicious how you each posted within 20 minutes of one another. Until I see some pictures of the thing hooked up to an AV8801, I'm going to assume this is the case.

The new cord I have on my 8801 replaced a PS Audio AC3 which I got for $75 on a promo when they were first released, its since then been replaced by a Morrow Audio MA2 powercable. As for the 1K cord, its on my Halo A21 biggrin.gifwink.gif

audiofan1 is online now  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ken Kreisel Dxd 12012 Subwoofer , Marantz Av8801 , Receivers Amplifiers , Audyssey , Integra
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off