~$400 for AVR & Sub recommendations to complement 2.0 Paradigm MilleniaOne system? Am I crazy? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 10-01-2012, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Ninjabiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm building a 2.1 system and my family offered to buy me Paradigm's MilleniaOne speakers. Having heard the speakers, I couldn't really say no to that. After that purchase, I'll have around $400 to buy a subwoofer and an AVR. I know that's not a lot of money for two really important items, so if it's not realistic please tell me. That said, this is my first real speaker system and I'm very excited and I'd really appreciate your suggestions and help.

What I was thinking:
  • Find a <$200 subwoofer (maybe Velodyne's VX-11 or BIC America's F12 or V1020).
  • Buy a refurbished factory direct AVR (or an older new model via Amazon) ~$200 (Denon AVR-1612 $200, Yamaha RX-V371BL $230...)

Notes:
  • I'd really like to stay near $400.. not $500+, but if the extra $100 or so would make a huge difference please tell me.
  • This will be my primary speaker system for the next 10 years so I'd like a certain level of quality. I might upgrade it by adding a center channel/surrounds when we move into a bigger place.
  • I'd really like the receiver to handle DVDs and Blu-ray discs -- as well as potentially let me stream music to it via pc/phone.
  • Primary Uses: Movies (60%) Music (40%)
  • Room Size: around 1600 cubic feet (not including the kitchen/dining room which are sizable)
  • Listening Habits: We tend to have the volume low because we watch movies when our kids are in bed and we live in an apartment complex. Also, I don't think I'm as big into bone-shaking bass as some of you guys... tongue.gif
  • Timeframe: I hope to get this before the year ends.
Ninjabiker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 Old 10-01-2012, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 6,449
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 744
I don't know about those speakers being worthy of a 10 year run as the primary speakers, but YMMV. Might look for the Energy 10.3 sub on sale, too, often can be had for $200. AVR consider accessories4less.com, too. Maybe even a used avr via craigslist from someone upgrading. Seems you're on the right track to stay within budget for your purposes...

lovinthehd is online now  
post #3 of 5 Old 10-01-2012, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
Tank_PD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjabiker View Post

I'm building a 2.1 system and my family offered to buy me Paradigm's MilleniaOne speakers. Having heard the speakers, I couldn't really say no to that. After that purchase, I'll have around $400 to buy a subwoofer and an AVR. I know that's not a lot of money for two really important items, so if it's not realistic please tell me. That said, this is my first real speaker system and I'm very excited and I'd really appreciate your suggestions and help.
What I was thinking:
  • Find a <$200 subwoofer (maybe Velodyne's VX-11 or BIC America's F12 or V1020).
  • Buy a refurbished factory direct AVR (or an older new model via Amazon) ~$200 (Denon AVR-1612 $200, Yamaha RX-V371BL $230...)
Notes:
  • I'd really like to stay near $400.. not $500+, but if the extra $100 or so would make a huge difference please tell me.
  • This will be my primary speaker system for the next 10 years so I'd like a certain level of quality. I might upgrade it by adding a center channel/surrounds when we move into a bigger place.
  • I'd really like the receiver to handle DVDs and Blu-ray discs -- as well as potentially let me stream music to it via pc/phone.
  • Primary Uses: Movies (60%) Music (40%)
  • Room Size: around 1600 cubic feet (not including the kitchen/dining room which are sizable)
  • Listening Habits: We tend to have the volume low because we watch movies when our kids are in bed and we live in an apartment complex. Also, I don't think I'm as big into bone-shaking bass as some of you guys... tongue.gif
  • Timeframe: I hope to get this before the year ends.

Are you aware of the powered version of these speakers?
http://paradigm.com/shift/systems/index.php

There is the Millenia One setup and the cheaper Millenia CTs. No receiver will be required for the power setups. I'm not sure I would get a receiver for 2.1. With the money you save you could get the Millenia One set with the sub. If you ever decide to upgrade these could be moved to another system or used as computer speakers.
Tank_PD is offline  
post #4 of 5 Old 10-02-2012, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Ninjabiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Might look for the Energy 10.3 sub on sale, too, often can be had for $200. AVR consider accessories4less.com, too. Maybe even a used avr via craigslist from someone upgrading. Seems you're on the right track to stay within budget for your purposes...

Thanks! Those are great ideas!
Quote:
I'm not sure I would get a receiver for 2.1. With the money you save you could get the Millenia One set with the sub. If you ever decide to upgrade these could be moved to another system or used as computer speakers.

That's certainly something to think about. Thank you. : )

Does anyone know if Onkyo or Denon (or another company) is considered better at the lower end? I've seen more positive reviews (on Amazon) for Denon, but I wonder if that's just an artifact of online reviews or if Onkyo is actually putting out low quality stuff.
Ninjabiker is offline  
post #5 of 5 Old 10-02-2012, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
67jason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,888
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjabiker View Post

Quote:
Might look for the Energy 10.3 sub on sale, too, often can be had for $200. AVR consider accessories4less.com, too. Maybe even a used avr via craigslist from someone upgrading. Seems you're on the right track to stay within budget for your purposes...

Thanks! Those are great ideas!
Quote:
I'm not sure I would get a receiver for 2.1. With the money you save you could get the Millenia One set with the sub. If you ever decide to upgrade these could be moved to another system or used as computer speakers.

That's certainly something to think about. Thank you. : )

Does anyone know if Onkyo or Denon (or another company) is considered better at the lower end? I've seen more positive reviews (on Amazon) for Denon, but I wonder if that's just an artifact of online reviews or if Onkyo is actually putting out low quality stuff.

Denon will generally have better room correction on the lower end over onkyo. Onkyo generally packages more features then comparable denons. It's up to you as to which is more important for you.

Both denons and onks have had their share of unsatisfied customers for one reason or another, and they both have there fan-boys. Personally i feel the overall build quality is very similar between most comparable models from both companies and don't concern myself with getting overly passionate one way or another between the two (or AVRs from other companies for that matter). Some on this forum consider yamaha as the most reliable mass market brand available right now, others love their pioneers. For me, I prefer audessey room correction over others that I have heard and recommend finding a reciever that has at least audessey multeq or higher. In your price range denon has the most models with at least this level of room correction.

FWIW, I own a lower end denon 1611 and a mid level onkyo 809 and love them both equally for what they do.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
67jason is online now  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off