Denon AVR-2808CI Sound suddenly stopped - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-02-2012, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Was playing a CD at medium volume through the unit in Pure Direct selection and the music sound suddenly stopped. Can't recall if color of light around power operation button changed from solid green. In Pure Direct display is blank. Didn't notice any peculiar smell.

Tried restarting by pushing in power button several times but couldn't get unit to operate.
Waited over night and tried using power button, then power switch and then remote but each time all that happened was light around power button turned from red to flashing green to solid green; would hear one click when button pushed in and then a few seconds later a second click. The display screen remained unlit (blank), even after trying to change the source by using the source selection knob. No sound came through speakers and display remained blank.

At first I thought unit may have became over heated and shut itself down but the according to manual if this was the case then once the unit cooled it would operate again.

Closest service depot is 1,500 miles.

Any suggestions? Help!

Thanks,
Peter John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-02-2012, 01:54 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1962 Post(s)
Liked: 1745
Try powering on the unit while doing the microprocessor reset procedure (p. 50 OM).

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 8 Old 10-08-2012, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for suggestion.

I tried resetting the Microprocessor per the instructions on p.50 but no success.

Pressing the Power button #1 and Standard #33 & DSP Simulation#34 at the same time caused nothing to happen, even the power light didn't start flashing green or go to solid green; Power button#1 remained red. If I pushed Power button #1 first and then Standard #33 & DSP Simulation #34 buttons together quickly after; the Power button #1 would do as it typically does flash green for a few seconds and then turn solid green

Tried leaving Power button pressed on (full green light) and then turn off power using Power switch # 3. When I Pressed Power switch#3 and Standard #33 and DSP Simulation#34 at the same time the Power button #1 and the three Quick Selection buttons #4 started flashing it appeared every second. They continue to do this until I release the Standard#33 & DSP Simulation#34 buttons, then the Quick Selection buttons #4 go off and the Power button #1 flashes green for a few seconds and then turns solid green.

At no time did I notice any information on the Display.

Did I properly follow the p. 50 Resetting the Microprocessor correctly?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Peter
post #4 of 8 Old 10-08-2012, 05:54 AM
585-645-1006

With the unit powered completely OFF, you want to press/hold buttons #33,#34 first and then press button #3 to power on the AVR. If doing so does not cause the front panel display to appear and then flash after a few seconds, the unit likely needs to be repaired.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #5 of 8 Old 10-08-2012, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Still nothing on display.

Are there fuses inside unit that might have blown? Is there a particular component in unit to look at?

Thanks,
Peter
post #6 of 8 Old 10-08-2012, 09:19 AM
585-645-1006

Yes, you can pop the top to see if there are any blown fuses that can be replaced to resolve the issue.

post #7 of 8 Old 10-14-2012, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

JD Smoothie,

Thanks for help. I tried both of your suggestions.

I found the 10 amp fuse blown connecting F1506 & F1507. Top fuse located slighly above where 110 power enters unit.

After replacing fuse I turned on unit.
1.The Power button flashed green and the display finally lit. Display showed AV Surround Receiver and the changed to Tuner Stereo, During this time three small boxes were also present on display indicating SW, FL and FR. The unit then turned itself off and the Power button went to flashing red.

2.Tried pressing Power button and # 33 and 34 buttons at same time, nothing happened.

3.Tried pressing #33 and 34 together and holding; then pressing #3 button and also holding. The display almost completely lit up with with flashing info and the three green small lights on bottom right also flashed.. I held these buttons for perhaps 10 seconds and then heard a snap (very slight smell) and unit turned off.

None of the fuses in the unit were blown.

I did these three steps several times with the same result and still no blown fuses.

Any ideas where problem lies.

Thanks,
Peter
post #8 of 8 Old 10-14-2012, 12:03 PM
585-645-1006

At this point, you're likely either looking at repair or replace.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2808ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page