Individual channel levels - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-03-2012, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Marantz SR6007. When I calibrate with audyssey, the levels seem a bit too quiet for my taste and I have to turn the thing up to like -5db to get any decent sound out of it. I noticed that I can individually set each speaker level and that the calibration sets each one in the negatives (-6 for fronts, etc), and when I boost them individually, while keeping the same ratios to eachother, I get more volume at the same master volume setting. Is there any downside to doing this? If I were to set individual speaker levels into the positive dbs, is there any reason why I would not want to do this?

speakers: BW 683 fronts, BW ds3 rear, cmc2g center.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-04-2012, 05:56 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1791 Post(s)
Liked: 1703
After calibration, the speakers/sub are set to negative values because they are fairly efficient and must be lowered to match the 75db test tone. Raising all of the speaker levels the same amount is no different then simply raising the master volume that same amount. The only reason to use the speaker level adjustments is if you prefer a different level volume from a specific speaker (eg. raising the volume on the center speaker for clearer dialogue).

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 3 Old 10-04-2012, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by warensemble View Post

I have a Marantz SR6007. When I calibrate with audyssey, the levels seem a bit too quiet for my taste and I have to turn the thing up to like -5db to get any decent sound out of it. I noticed that I can individually set each speaker level and that the calibration sets each one in the negatives (-6 for fronts, etc), and when I boost them individually, while keeping the same ratios to eachother, I get more volume at the same master volume setting. Is there any downside to doing this? If I were to set individual speaker levels into the positive dbs, is there any reason why I would not want to do this?
speakers: BW 683 fronts, BW ds3 rear, cmc2g center.

the only down side is if you use Audyssey DynamicEQ or Dyanamic volume, the corrections will be off (for movies). What the setup routine is trying to do is set your speakers to deliver "reference" level at 0 on the master volume dial. Movies are mixed on systems calibrated to reference, so if you playback at reference you hear everything the way the director and mixers heard it, at least theoretically.

More to the point, you actually accomplish nothing except to make yourself happier with a number that the Marantz displays. It takes exactly the same amount of power to reach whatever listening levels you want, regardless of the MV setting. Turning up the individual speakers by 3 or 6 dB or whatever is exactly the same as turning up the master volume by 3 or 6 dB or whatever.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page