Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 976 Old 01-29-2013, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Does anybody know the true RMS/continuous wattage when running all 7 channels? I read somewhere it's 67 watts/channel. And for example if you ran the MM7025 to your front L/R towers would it not also free up more power for the remaining speakers?

I haven't come across the actual rating with all channels driven but it's bound to be less than the rating when only two channels are being driven. Also, the impedance of your speakers would factor into the power output.
Running an external amplifier for two or more channels would definitely free up power in the AVR for the remaining channels. I am debating myself whether to go ahead with a two-channel or three-channel external amp, more than likely an Emotiva.

Quote:

I have Apple tv which I believe inputs a 2 channel signal. Do some of the other settings that are "released," in the selection list when a multi channel input is detected sound better? If so what would be a way to input your music in that format?

Try the different settings in real time by pressing/holding the music button on the remote and switching between them. The input is limited by the original source (be that a streaming signal or media etc.) and the settings of the input device. Does Apple TV pass a multi-channel audio program? Also, input sources will sometimes allow one to process a two-channel source into fake surround or downmix multichannel into stereo.

Quote:

Also on my Onkyo I listened to music in 'all channel stereo' mode which played through all speakers. This multi channel doesn't include the center.
This may be because either the source signal/recording is in two-channel or the input source is not feeding multichannel to the Marantz. Did you try the "virtual surround" setting on the Marantz?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 976 Old 01-29-2013, 08:22 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Does anybody know the true RMS/continuous wattage when running all 7 channels? I read somewhere it's 67 watts/channel. And for example if you ran the MM7025 to your front L/R towers would it not also free up more power for the remaining speakers?

From Marantz glossary page:

70% Power Guarantee
Marantz has the 70% power guarantee, meaning that a minimum of 70% of the stereo power indicated in the specification section will be available when 5 channels are simultaneously used. A lot of misunderstanding about power rating has been created by claiming the highest possible output power as a unique selling point. Measurement often has been done on only 1 speaker drive, with lower impedance than 8 ohms and high THD (total harmonic distortion) acceptance. A standard THD value is 0.08%. The lower the better.

The url is here, just scroll down to the "70% Power Guarantee" paragraph:

http://us.marantz.com/us/support/pages/glossary.aspx

Interestingly enough, on the SR5007 specs published on Marantz's UK site there is a clear reference to this "70% Power Guarantee", but there is NOT such note on the Marantz US SR5007 published specs. Marketing screw-up or real difference between US and UK versions of the SR5007???????

At any rate, depending on how the power supply has been designed, if on 5 channel the SR5007 is supposed to deliver at least 70W (being 100W the power on 2-ch), power output on 7-ch is probably going to be in the 55-60 Watts range (just my guesstimate).

For example, according to Home Theater tests, the SR7007 (the top of the SR line), which is rated 125W on 2-ch at 8 Ohm, measured at 90W on 5-ch (72%) and 71W on 7-ch (57%).

I would not get too obsessed about those figures, though. Although ability of driving all channels simultaneously at a certain percentage of the 2-ch power can tell you something about how beefy the power supply is, in real listening situation I see dynamic headroom as more important. That depends on a lot of factors, including speakers sensitivity, your preferred listening level, adding an external amp for the fron channel, settings of your sub-woofer and dynamic of the source you are listening to or watching.

Just my two cents.
post #273 of 976 Old 01-29-2013, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84

I haven't come across the actual rating with all channels driven but it's bound to be less than the rating when only two channels are being driven. Also, the impedance of your speakers would factor into the power output.
Running an external amplifier for two or more channels would definitely free up power in the AVR for the remaining channels. I am debating myself whether to go ahead with a two-channel or three-channel external amp, more than likely an Emotiva.

I was looking at emotiva's and also the marantz mm7025 I think it is. 140watt/2channel amp. I have (8ohm) Definitive tech 8060 towers, 8040 center, 8040 rears, and pro monitor 1000's for front high. hsu 15h for sub.

Quote:
70% Power Guarantee
Marantz has the 70% power guarantee, meaning that a minimum of 70% of the stereo power indicated in the specification section will be available when 5 channels are simultaneously used. A lot of misunderstanding about power rating has been created by claiming the highest possible output power as a unique selling point. Measurement often has been done on only 1 speaker drive, with lower impedance than 8 ohms and high THD (total harmonic distortion) acceptance. A standard THD value is 0.08%. The lower the better.

I would not get too obsessed about those figures, though. Although ability of driving all channels simultaneously at a certain percentage of the 2-ch power can tell you something about how beefy the power supply is, in real listening situation I see dynamic headroom as more important. That depends on a lot of factors, including speakers sensitivity, your preferred listening level, adding an external amp for the fron channel, settings of your sub-woofer and dynamic of the source you are listening to or watching.

I'm thinking a 2 channel for the front towers would free it up a bit and allow them to shine a bit more.
post #274 of 976 Old 01-29-2013, 03:14 PM

New to this thread, but have read through all pages. So, I recently hooked up my 5007 and am learning as I go. However, any advice on how to connect my Sennheiser wireless headphones would be appreciated. In my prior stereo system I used the tape out on an Adcom GTP 502 preamp, which worked flawlessly. The connection is with 2 cord RCA and I've tried the Zone 2 analog out, with little success. Thanks for any advice.
post #275 of 976 Old 01-29-2013, 05:20 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1433 Post(s)
Liked: 1607
The Zone 2 pre-outs are your best bet if not using Zone 2 speakers; however, note that only network audio, USB, and analog external sources will pass to Zone 2 (ie. no HDMI or optical/digital coax connected sources). So then for HDMI sources, you'll also need to double cable with a RCA cable as well or in the case of a source without analog outputs (eg. AppleTV), you'll need to also purchase an optical ---> analog converter.

Written for Denon models, but applies to Marantz as well ....

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_100#user_M

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #276 of 976 Old 01-29-2013, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I am interested to know others thoughts on adding external amplification? I understand every application is a little different than the next. I have a Definitive Technology speaker setup. Front L/R is 8060 powered towers (built in amp and sub) rated 20-300 watts. Center is 8040 rated at 20-200 watts. Surrounds are 8040 rated at 20-150 watts. Front highs are pro monitor 1000's rated at 10-200 watts. I did hear the entry level 8020 towers that were hooked up to a pioneer elite that put out 150 watts for 2 channels. It did sound good and I decided on my speakers from that. According to the previous posts if all 7 channels are being run are only outputting 55-60 watts a channel. Being new to the home theater/audio world I'm trying to figure out how external amps make the sound/experience better. I could run a 2 channel to just my towers but then how much? How do you feel about Emotiva? How about the Marantz dedicated amps?
post #277 of 976 Old 01-29-2013, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

^Pioneer elite hifi amp
post #278 of 976 Old 01-30-2013, 07:08 AM

If your towers already have internal power why would you want to add additional amplification to them? is there an input to them that by-passes the internal amplification?
are you running the Marantz SR5007 or a Pioneer Elite?confused.gif
post #279 of 976 Old 01-30-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

sorry about confusion. I heard them and bought them after hearing them powered by a Pioneer 2 channel 150 watt elite hifi amp. I have Marantz 5007. The built in amp is just for the sub.

So the xpa-3 provides 200x3. My towers are rated 20-300 watts so that would be good. My center is rated 20-200 watts. So thats too much for the center? I could just run to the two towers and leave the center alone. Perhaps an upgrade someday. I could get the xpa-5 for future proof. Although I don't see myself changing my speaker setup for some time considering I just bought them and love them. If I went with the Marantz MM7055 it puts out 140 a channel and then I could run 5 channels from that and let my Marantz SR5007 AVR run cooler and just power the surrounds. Thoughts? The only thing is the Marantz is more expensive. But in the big picture a few hundred dollars isn't too much considering I'm about 5,000 invested as of now.
post #280 of 976 Old 01-30-2013, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Hey guys, I have a new SR5007 on order (EXCITED!) but I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a rack ear kit for this model? I've found the RMK6504SR on the Marantz website but it doesn't specifically list the 5007 as a compatible model.
post #281 of 976 Old 01-30-2013, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redge55 View Post

New to this thread, but have read through all pages. So, I recently hooked up my 5007 and am learning as I go. However, any advice on how to connect my Sennheiser wireless headphones would be appreciated. In my prior stereo system I used the tape out on an Adcom GTP 502 preamp, which worked flawlessly. The connection is with 2 cord RCA and I've tried the Zone 2 analog out, with little success. Thanks for any advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The Zone 2 pre-outs are your best bet if not using Zone 2 speakers; however, note that only network audio, USB, and analog external sources will pass to Zone 2 (ie. no HDMI or optical/digital coax connected sources). So then for HDMI sources, you'll also need to double cable with a RCA cable as well or in the case of a source without analog outputs (eg. AppleTV), you'll need to also purchase an optical ---> analog converter.

Written for Denon models, but applies to Marantz as well ....

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_100#user_M

How about just using the headphone output, and using a 1/4" stereo headphone to RCA Y-cable to connect to the base station of the wireless headphones? Would there be any difference between this approach versus using the analog outputs or optical outputs?
post #282 of 976 Old 01-30-2013, 06:17 PM
585-645-1006

Yup ... connecting to the headphone jack you have to unplug the 1/4" plug every time you you want to use the surround speakers while in the other configuration you just leave it permanently. smile.gif

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #283 of 976 Old 01-30-2013, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

Yup ... connecting to the headphone jack you have to unplug the 1/4" plug every time you you want to use the surround speakers while in the other configuration you just leave it permanently. smile.gif

SMH !! Yes, of course. That makes perfect sense! smile.gif I am more used to using my Sennheiser HD650 with a LOONG extension cable out of the headphone out on the receiver. Wireless headphones would dictate finding a more permanent connection like the one recommended using zone 2 pre-outs, but looks like even that is not an option without compromises regarding the input sources that can be used.
post #284 of 976 Old 01-31-2013, 02:56 AM
585-645-1006

Correct. Requires additional cables to get the job done, but in the end, audio still gets to the wireless headphones. smile.gif

post #285 of 976 Old 01-31-2013, 03:48 PM

jdsmoothie and raaj; thanks for the input. Your information will be very helpful. Cheers
post #286 of 976 Old 02-01-2013, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok so I have everything set, successful audyssey calibration ran. I understand when I use apple tv it only inputs a 2 channel source so my listening presets are limited. But after I did audyssey I put in the Dark Knight to test and it gave me the same 4-5 listening preset options. Shouldn't I have access to the multi channel modes? Like Dolby true HD and others. OR are these selected when I use 'multi ch in." I do wish there was more for music. I can only use Dlby Pl2 hieghtz to utilize my front height speakers. It sounds good but is center channel focused. I just wish more would go to my towers.
post #287 of 976 Old 02-01-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 433
jlpowell84,

I assume you mean that you put DK in a BD player. What model of player do you have?

How is the BD player connected to the receiver? HDMI? S/PDIF (opical or coax digital audio)? Red+White stereo connections? More than one of these types of connections?

My suspicion is that your BD player is configured to output stereo because it used to be plugged directly into a TV. Most BD players include a "reset" option in their menus, which should undo that stereo setting.

However, just to be complete... you need to use an HDMI connection for the receiver to receive high definition audio. If you want the receiver to do the audio decoding (i.e. if you want the receiver to report that it's receiving Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD-MA) you also have to set the player to "bitstream" the audio over HDMI, and set to not "mix" menu sounds and secondary audio. If both of these seetings are not enabled, the player will do the audio decoding and you'll get multichannel LPCM going to the receiver. While you're at it, look at the player's other settings to make sure they're reasonable.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #288 of 976 Old 02-01-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

jlpowell84,

I assume you mean that you put DK in a BD player. What model of player do you have?

How is the BD player connected to the receiver? HDMI? S/PDIF (opical or coax digital audio)? Red+White stereo connections? More than one of these types of connections?

My suspicion is that your BD player is configured to output stereo because it used to be plugged directly into a TV. Most BD players include a "reset" option in their menus, which should undo that stereo setting.

However, just to be complete... you need to use an HDMI connection for the receiver to receive high definition audio. If you want the receiver to do the audio decoding (i.e. if you want the receiver to report that it's receiving Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD-MA) you also have to set the player to "bitstream" the audio over HDMI, and set to not "mix" menu sounds and secondary audio. If both of these seetings are not enabled, the player will do the audio decoding and you'll get multichannel LPCM going to the receiver. While you're at it, look at the player's other settings to make sure they're reasonable.[/quote

It's connected via hdmi to my receiver. I run all through the receiver and one hdmi to the tv. I will check the configurations of outputing stereo...It is a cheap Panasonic blu-ray I got in august free with my plasma.
post #289 of 976 Old 02-01-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Is there a way to get my apple tv to output other than stereo?
post #290 of 976 Old 02-01-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It most likely needs to be reset considering I did have it plugged into the tv when I first got the blu-ray...
post #291 of 976 Old 02-01-2013, 04:25 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Ok so I have everything set, successful audyssey calibration ran. I understand when I use apple tv it only inputs a 2 channel source so my listening presets are limited. But after I did audyssey I put in the Dark Knight to test and it gave me the same 4-5 listening preset options. Shouldn't I have access to the multi channel modes? Like Dolby true HD and others. OR are these selected when I use 'multi ch in." I do wish there was more for music. I can only use Dlby Pl2 hieghtz to utilize my front height speakers. It sounds good but is center channel focused. I just wish more would go to my towers.

To add to Seldon's response ... when the AVR display reads "Mult CH IN" it means the BDP is decoding to PCM. Also, the only surround mode available for the Front Height speakers on the 5007 is DD PLIIz. Upgrading to the 6007 would also add Audyssey DSX which adds both Front Height and Front Wide speaker capability.

post #292 of 976 Old 02-01-2013, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
To add to Seldon's response ... when the AVR display reads "Mult CH IN" it means the BDP is decoding to PCM. Also, the only surround mode available for the Front Height speakers on the 5007 is DD PLIIz. Upgrading to the 6007 would also add Audyssey DSX which adds both Front Height and Front Wide speaker capability.

Well I guess I upgraded and downgraded when I moved from my Onkyo TX-NR609 to the Marantz SR5007. The only thing the Onkyo didn't have was audyssey multi eq xt. It had more settings and customization than the Marantz. Hmm, maybe I should see if I can trade in and upgrade. I bought it 5 days ago...
post #293 of 976 Old 02-01-2013, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

^ I did like the audyssey dsx for movies...
post #294 of 976 Old 02-01-2013, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

The blu ray was set on pcm. I might see if I can take it back and upgrade. My guy sells denon and marantz...
post #295 of 976 Old 02-01-2013, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I set it to bitstream and still no dolby tru hd...Only the same options...
post #296 of 976 Old 02-02-2013, 03:20 AM
585-645-1006

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_100#user_L26

post #297 of 976 Old 02-02-2013, 07:46 AM

new owner.

have there been any firmware updates for this unit?

feel a bit silly asking but if there are updates, I have searched but can't find where these updates are ( I am in Canada) nor how to do the update confused.gif

can it be done via usb or by connecting a laptop to the avr? I wont be able to connect an ethernet cable that reaches from my avr to the modem and be still able to view the on screen display to follow instructions.

thanks
post #298 of 976 Old 02-03-2013, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

For ARC to work, in addition to plugging the HDMI cable into the HDMI input on the TV labeled ARC, the TV's HDMI-CEC feature (VierraLink for Panasonic) must be set to ON and the TV speakers must be set to "external speakers". On the AVR the HDMI Control setting must be set to ON. However, note that when talking about only DD 5.1 using HDMI provides no better quality than using optical, and in fact, the HDMI(ARC) can only pass "stereo" while your current configuration using optical can pass DD 5.1, so you're getting the best quality audio now.

jdsmoothie - I thought this was the post I was looking for but no luck so far. P65VT50 TV. Viera Link is on. Internal speakers set to off. Default speakers set to home theater on TV. New HDMI cable from TV HDMI ARC to SR5007 ARC. Using pre-outs from SR5007 to Krell 2-channel amp (with home theater bypass) which has the main speakers connected to it. SR5007 set to TV Audio. No sound from TV to external speakers. What did I miss? (FYI, Oppo blu-ray plays fine via similar setup).

post #299 of 976 Old 02-03-2013, 08:13 AM
585-645-1006

HDMI Control set to ON? Also, sometimes once HDMI Control is changed to ON, all devices must be powered OFF and then powered ON again, ... TV, wait a few seconds, then AVR. If it's setup correctly you shouldn't have to select the TV source, rather it will be selected for you when you power on the TV and the AVR.

post #300 of 976 Old 02-03-2013, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

HDMI Control set to ON? Also, sometimes once HDMI Control is changed to ON, all devices must be powered OFF and then powered ON again, ... TV, wait a few seconds, then AVR. If it's setup correctly you shouldn't have to select the TV source, rather it will be selected for you when you power on the TV and the AVR.

Genius! I saw something in passing called "hdmi control" and found it in the manual once you suggested it. Thank you!

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5007 Home Theater Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr5007 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page