Marantz SR5007 Owner's Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 966 Old 03-16-2013, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the help, and two more questions for ya. Of the four binding post the top two says HF and the left is negative and the right is positive on the bottom binding post it says LF and again the left is negative and the right is positive. Which should I use? The bottom or the top? (HF or LF)
Second question is, the metal jumper only connects to the positive on the top and than the positive on the bottom ( and it's the same for the negative)
Do I need to have both metal jumpers in place for it to work?
Where would I connect these two on the back of the marantz 5007 ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 966 Old 03-16-2013, 07:38 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 1368
1. Doesn't matter.
2. Yes.
3. To the FL/FR speaker posts.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #453 of 966 Old 03-16-2013, 08:05 PM

Thanks so much for the help.

I am running everything through my Marantz, but the power will be pumping through my new APC H15BLK.

Would you recommend that I run my satellite for DirecTV through the APC or not?

My plan was to plug everything into the APC. Is that a wise idea?
post #454 of 966 Old 03-16-2013, 08:23 PM
585-645-1006

Not familiar with the APC, but shouldn't be a problem.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #455 of 966 Old 03-18-2013, 07:07 AM

Liked: 11
This is my first post ever in the Forum.... Just wanted to say how pleased I am with the Marantz 5007, which turned out to be the last piece of the puzzle in a disturbingly expensive but ultimately satisfying boondoggle.

Step 1: I decide to finally replace my Sony Wega 42-inch HDTV, which was way ahead of its time when I bought it in 2003 but certainly was due or overdue for replacement. I got an LG7600 55-inch 3D 1080p 240 HZ set that I knew within the first 10 minutes of setup that I loved.

Step 2: Um, dude, your Pioneer Elite DVD/all-format player was sweet when you bought it five or six years ago, but gotta get Blu-Ray (plus I decided I'd rather do streaming Netflix through a player than the TV). I ordered the Oppo 103. Same experience as the TV: Immediate love.

Step 3. DUDE, your HDMI-less several-year-old Yamaha home theater receiver clearly is obsolete. Trying to save a few bucks, I read up on and bought for $400 the Sony STR-DN1030.

Woops. Now it's true what they say -- this receiver is loaded with features for a receiver at its price point. And I'm certain it would serve many people well. But my activity with my 5:1 system is 50/50 video watching and music listening (a large collection of 5:1 SACDs and DVD-As and regular stereo CDs). And with music, the Sony receiver fell short. A somewhat harsh, shrill, sloppy, overwhelmed sound at mid- and high volumes.

I spent one day trying to convince myself the sound was good enough. The second day, I packed up the Sony and exchanged it for the Marantz 5007.

The difference was immediately recognizable and stunning. A much more musical sound. And of course it kicks butt with movies and TV as well. Really night and day. I doubt the Marantz passes snob appeal muster as a true audiophile receiver, but to my ears, it's on the correct side of that gate, rather than the Sony, which, well, sounds like a $400 receiver. The Sony also took eons to switch between modes (just a DirectTV box and the Oppo Blu-Ray player in my case).

After a few days with the Marantz, I'm really, really happy. My only nit was the manual. I like having a book, and would expect that with an $800 receiver, rather than a CD that I had to waste ink printing out.

Anyway, that's my 2 pennies...
Jovkovski likes this.
post #456 of 966 Old 03-18-2013, 07:25 AM

Liked: 15
I also just picked up my 5007 on Friday. Love it as well. Just posting to welcome myself to the thread as I am sure I will be here at some point to ask a few questions of you more experienced marantz users. So far have it running for all of my most usual needs. Still have a few things to set up totally. But, I did a firmware update without a hitch, ran the audyssey and set up my xbox, cable box, ipod and bluray flawlessly. No issues so far and it sounds amazing.

I would love a hard copy manual as well, but most electronics are going the data only route these days.
post #457 of 966 Old 03-18-2013, 09:16 PM

How do u get marantz to play master audio hd from blurays? I like the movie setting on the remote..but I know that's like taking pics on auto mode in a dslr ..my bluray is a Sony bx59 ...
post #458 of 966 Old 03-19-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 347
If you want the receiver to decode the audio, you need to turn off the decoding in the player. This usually requires you to enable "bitstream" and disable "secondary audio mix" in the player.

When the player decodes the audio, it sends LPCM to the receiver, so the receiver cannot show what type of audio is on the disc.

Selden
post #459 of 966 Old 03-20-2013, 01:52 PM

So what exactly does the "movie" setting set things to? I kind of assumed it would set it to the highest quality surround setting available . I'm also having a bit of trouble understanding how to tell what kind of signal the receiver is putting out and how to change it. When I play a bluray and hit info on the receiver it says it is playing "7.1 channel in". I haven't changed anything on the bluray player from my other receiver.

PS, I wish we had the blue light around the porthole.
post #460 of 966 Old 03-20-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodnerb View Post

So what exactly does the "movie" setting set things to?
It modifies the PCM, changing levels and moving frequencies from channel to channel. Movie and Music are generally two options for DSPs such as PLII or DTS Neo:6, whose main purpose is expanding stereo to multichannel. Movie is designed to create a focused center channel for dialog. Music has additional parameters such as width and depth allowing the user more control over the sound stage.
Quote:
I kind of assumed it would set it to the highest quality surround setting available.
Nope. I'm not even sure what you mean by "the highest quality surround setting". Quality differs from user to user.
Quote:
I'm also having a bit of trouble understanding how to tell what kind of signal the receiver is putting out and how to change it. When I play a bluray and hit info on the receiver it says it is playing "7.1 channel in". I haven't changed anything on the bluray player from my other receiver.
7.1 channel in almost certainly means the player is decoding and sending 7.1 PCM. The receiver will also tell you the sampling rate and bit depth of the signal it is getting. The manual will explain how to do that. As noted in an earlier post, if you want to see the codec on the disc, you need to set the player to bitstream, although with Sony players, there's no bitstream setting per se. What player do you have?
post #461 of 966 Old 03-20-2013, 07:34 PM

Thanks. I have a sony bdps390 player. And by highest quality surround setting i mean that if i have a bluray on it will automatically select hd surround format rather than a more basic format.
post #462 of 966 Old 03-20-2013, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

The default track is set when the disc is authored. The player and receiver have no control over that. However, since most Blu-rays only have one English language track, the high res one, it really doesn't matter because there's only one choice anyway. Some older releases, especially ones from Warner Bros., had two English tracks and played DD 5.1 instead of high res by default. But, that is pretty rare. On those discs, you have to select the high res track on the disc menu.

Sony players don't have bitstream settings. They use the HDMI handshake to set the output format. Set HDMI Audio to Auto and BD Mix to Off. The player will send the encoded lossless track to the receiver for decoding.
post #463 of 966 Old 03-21-2013, 05:51 AM

Awesome! Thanks for the info.
post #464 of 966 Old 03-21-2013, 03:54 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodnerb View Post

Thanks. I have a sony bdps390 player. And by highest quality surround setting i mean that if i have a bluray on it will automatically select hd surround format rather than a more basic format.

I have the same setup. Bitstream IS an option that can be selected. It is also possible to turn off secondary audio. All are in the audio section and the settings should be as follows: The hdmi setting should be auto, and the dts and dolby digital should be set to bitstream. BD secondary audio should be off. Once all of these are accomplished, you will get the result you are looking for. Good luck!
post #465 of 966 Old 03-21-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

The default track is set when the disc is authored. The player and receiver have no control over that. However, since most Blu-rays only have one English language track, the high res one, it really doesn't matter because there's only one choice anyway. Some older releases, especially ones from Warner Bros., had two English tracks and played DD 5.1 instead of high res by default. But, that is pretty rare. On those discs, you have to select the high res track .

One of those pesky disc is the Dark Knight.
post #466 of 966 Old 03-21-2013, 04:09 PM

Liked: 33
Hello,

Today I finally had some time to setup my new SR5007, and it seems that there is a problem with the Ethernet port. I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue before. No matter what cable or settings I use, the network setup fails. The weird part is that even the manual IP settings in Network Menu are grayed out (disabled), and I cannot set them manually. Is there something wrong with the unit? Should I return it to the AD?

Thanks a lot.
post #467 of 966 Old 03-21-2013, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

nodnerb - The bitstream setting on Sony players controls the optical and coax outputs, not HDMI. That was made clear in earlier manuals, but not this one. The HDMI Audio setting controls the HDMI audio output. If the Dolby and DTS settings controlled HDMI, what would be the purpose of the HDMI Audio setting? And, how would the player resolve a conflict when HDMI Audio is set to PCM while Dolby and DTS are set to bitstream? I don't own the player. But, you can test this yourself fairly easily.

Meanwhile, we agree that setting HDMI Audio to Auto and BD Mix to Off is the way to get the player to bitstream.
post #468 of 966 Old 03-21-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

nodnerb - The bitstream setting on Sony players controls the optical and coax outputs, not HDMI. That was made clear in earlier manuals, but not this one. The HDMI Audio setting controls the HDMI audio output. If the Dolby and DTS settings controlled HDMI, what would be the purpose of the HDMI Audio setting? And, how would the player resolve a conflict when HDMI Audio is set to PCM while Dolby and DTS are set to bitstream? I don't own the player. But, you can test this yourself fairly easily.

Meanwhile, we agree that setting HDMI Audio to Auto and BD Mix to Off is the way to get the player to bitstream.

I am not certain what is happening in the background of the unit, but this set up has worked for me on all my Sony players. Leaving just one of thes unchanged has resulted in the PCM issue described earlier. Doesnt make sense to me,mbut that seems to be the norm with Sony😵 !
post #469 of 966 Old 03-21-2013, 04:54 PM

Anyone apply the latest firmware update? Any idea what it changes or fixes? Any new features- intended or not?
post #470 of 966 Old 03-21-2013, 07:30 PM

Does anyone Know what the Marantz uses as a search engine for the internt radio.Like where it goes to search for its lists of stations.

post #471 of 966 Old 03-22-2013, 01:07 AM
585-645-1006

vTuner (p. 52).

post #472 of 966 Old 03-22-2013, 01:35 AM

Yes I did it, no clue whatsoever of what's new or fixed...
post #473 of 966 Old 03-22-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

vTuner (p. 52).

Okay im trying to nail down why My onkyo w Vtuner does not act the same or sound the same with internet radio as the 5007.I USED to own the 5007 ,Awesome little receiver,When i used the net feature with radio I would pick up the stations i like the most and they had high bitrate w good sound.NOW with the Onkyo(by the way the only reason i went with this was i couldnt pass up the deal) the same stations thru Vtuner do not sound the same or have lower bitrate and/or do not show song/artist info on radio internet stations just the station logo.
On the Marantz it received song and artist (usuually) on whatever i was listening too,which we all know is a nice feature when we hear sumthing that we havent before.
When using the network menu on the 5007 it just points to the icon "INTERNET RADIO"...The Onkyo actually says "Vtuner"...Sorry for the confusion.

post #474 of 966 Old 03-22-2013, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just purchased the 6007 and am having a little trouble setting it up. Given that they are essentially the same, I was hoping to find a little help here (also posted on the 6007 thread)

What I would like to do is be able to watch the game, but hear audio from a different source (i.e., listen to music)

Currently I accomplish this by running hdmi out of my cable box and directly to my TV, but then (through the cable box) splitting the audio off of the HDMI line and running it out to the receiver via digital coax. This solution works fine, except that with the SR6007 it means I dont get GUI for cable viewing as the HDMI input I am using on the TV does not come from the receiver but instead the cable box.

According to the manual it appears that it would be possible for me to accomplish this same setup through the receiver and thus only have one HDMI going into the TV and have GUI all the time. Unfortunately, I have been unable to split the audio from the video in the receiver. Any help would be appreciated.

The music would be coming via Apple TV, which is connected to the receiver via HDMI.

thanks in advance.
B
post #475 of 966 Old 03-22-2013, 02:28 PM

My new Marentz is really acting weird. Despite the greyed and locked Network Menu, which I cannot select any item except "Information," it has a problem detecting that DHCP is off on my router. When I select "Information" from that menu, it shows DHCP as ON, and there is no IP in the IP line.

I changed my router DHCP config, just to try if it works. Well, it still show DHCP is ON, but doesn't show any IP. Interesting part is, when I query the network devices with FING, it shows a new device called "Marantz Brand Company" with 172.23.32.34 IP, but the AV still doesn't recognize the network. I even tried connecting to 172.23.32.34 via HTTP, but nothing happens. FING shows HTTP service, IRC Chat service, and 8080 port on this IP address.

I tried everything I could think of. Like removing the switch, connecting directly to the router, connecting directly to cable modem, everything. I even went to Microcenter and got a new Cable Modem (Linksys 3008), but still nothing. Interesting part is that all my other devices work fine including AppleTV and Sony BluRay Playe. Have I got a lemon in hand? Should I go and exchange this receiver, or I am missing something obvious?

Thanks for any help or information.

EDIT:
BTW, I tried to reset the network by holding preset buttons several times. I really cannot think of anything else.
post #476 of 966 Old 03-22-2013, 05:28 PM
585-645-1006

Tried the network reset as in you were successful with doing it, but it didn't resolve the issue?

post #477 of 966 Old 03-22-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Tried the network reset as in you were successful with doing it, but it didn't resolve the issue?

Yes, it flashed then reset to factory settings. Asked me to setup the device again. You know, language, speaker, audyssey, ... . Still all the options in network menu except the information are grayed out. I even reset my router to factory settings for a couple of hours with DHCP enabled, but still no luck. The funny thing is that network discovery app, Fing, sees the IP and can list the services, but for some reason Marantz is locked down.

Is there any way to upgrade firmware without Network connection? USB cable or RS232 or something?
post #478 of 966 Old 03-22-2013, 08:05 PM

Ok,wtf. Were watching movies on pvr. Virtually nothing is set to "on" under the audio settings. Dynamic compression is off. Is there another setting that equalizes sound? Someone rustling a backpack is louder than the explosion and fight scenes in the amazing spiderman. I think i changed every setting under audio to try figure it out and the volume was perfectly level during every scene no matter what i do. Anyone know whats going on?
post #479 of 966 Old 03-23-2013, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozfafapiti View Post

Yes I did it, no clue whatsoever of what's new or fixed...

Hmm, that is odd. I cannot find any online listing for what it does. Running great right now, would hate to have something go screwy after the update.
post #480 of 966 Old 03-23-2013, 06:44 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost! View Post

Yes, it flashed then reset to factory settings. Asked me to setup the device again. You know, language, speaker, audyssey, ... . Still all the options in network menu except the information are grayed out. I even reset my router to factory settings for a couple of hours with DHCP enabled, but still no luck. The funny thing is that network discovery app, Fing, sees the IP and can list the services, but for some reason Marantz is locked down.

Is there any way to upgrade firmware without Network connection? USB cable or RS232 or something?

More than likely you just got a bad unit and so I would suggest replacing it. frown.gif

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5007 Home Theater Av Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page