Marantz SR5007 Owner's Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 939 Old 07-29-2013, 02:09 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 1317
Intuitive? .... nope. First owner to be confused by this icon? .... nope. smile.gif

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 939 Old 08-01-2013, 05:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I have a question about the audio in zone 2. I've used Audyssey and I like Audyssey Flat for music. I've made slight adjustments in the equalizer and I'm happy with that setting also.

My problem is that the zone 2 output sounds a lot more dull than the main zone. Does zone 2 output the same audio as zone 1. I've got Anthony Gallo micros in the main zone and Orb audio in zone 2. Is it just that the Micros sound better with the music? Changing the audio settings in the main zone don't seem to make changes to the sound in zone 2.

Any advice would be a huge help as I've just worked out Airplay, etc, and this is one of the last points.

Thanks.
post #723 of 939 Old 08-01-2013, 04:25 PM

Ok for some strange reason I turned my amp on this morning and went stream music from windows media player to amp and it says not on the network its greyed out. So tried from my phone and it cant find it. Yet the amp can access the net. No settings were changed.

Last thing I did was use the app on phone and it was streaming fine. I bumped a button on the app from what it was playing to media sever and now nothing sees my amp. Oh its a sr5007

cheers
Taza
post #724 of 939 Old 08-02-2013, 01:10 AM

hi all,

i'm a beginner to start build up 5.1 system, i just got a old front speaker focal 716s and center speaker focal cc70s from my friend, i'm looking for amp, i prefer Marantz SR5007, but my friend suggest onkyo 818 or 929 or cambridge 751r, which won't waste the power of those speaker. could you please advice?

i'm looking on subwoofer and rear speaker too, pls suggest.

subwoofer > Polk Audio DSWmicroPro 3000 (is it good if with SR5007)

thanks all
edmond
post #725 of 939 Old 08-02-2013, 09:43 PM

finally got the amp to see windows Media Player my next question is can I stream to zone 2 because everytime I click on a song and select play to: it goes to zone 1.

cheers
Taza
post #726 of 939 Old 08-03-2013, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taza View Post

finally got the amp to see windows Media Player my next question is can I stream to zone 2 because everytime I click on a song and select play to: it goes to zone 1.

cheers
Taza

I've noticed that if I use Airplay or Play To in media player, it starts up in both zones. If I turn zone 1 off, it turns zone 2 off also. So I'm muting zone 1 or changing the input which allows zone 2 to keep going. Not sure if it is possible to Play To zone 2 only. It's weird because if I use spotify, I can just turn off zone 1 and keep 2 going. Not sure why I can't get it to do the same - I guess it's the streaming of the music?
post #727 of 939 Old 08-03-2013, 05:38 PM
585-645-1006

What you are experiencing is a limitation that only applies to Airplay and has been resolved on the new 2013 X008 models.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #728 of 939 Old 08-04-2013, 05:26 PM

So we cant stream to zone 2 on 5007 then frown.gif
post #729 of 939 Old 08-04-2013, 06:52 PM

the light that stays lit on the sr5007 screen when the unit is in standby, Its towards the top right hand corner and its 2 small horizontal lines. I believe it's the zone 2 on indicator light.
Is this supposed to stay on when in standby? I don't use zone 2 for another room, we have it wired for surround back speakers, the unit also stays hot when in standby, is all this normal?

Thanks
Lg
post #730 of 939 Old 08-05-2013, 04:03 AM
585-645-1006

That indicator means you have Zone 2 turned on which is also the reason why your unit remains hot in standby. Set Zone 2 to OFF and you should be good to go. smile.gif

post #731 of 939 Old 08-05-2013, 04:05 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

So we cant stream to zone 2 on 5007 then frown.gif

Yes, of course you can. smile.gif All on board sources should stream to Zone 2; however, when using Airplay to Zone 2, it will also hijack the main zone for a moment and then you can reselect the original source that was playing in the main zone.

post #732 of 939 Old 08-05-2013, 05:16 AM

ok cool that I can stream to zone 2. how tho?

if I right click on an mp3 and select play to... it playing in zone 1. how do I tell it active in zone 2

again thanks heaps
Taza
post #733 of 939 Old 08-05-2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

That indicator means you have Zone 2 turned on which is also the reason why your unit remains hot in standby. Set Zone 2 to OFF and you should be good to go. smile.gif

I thought zone 2 had to be on to operate the back surrounds, or is that only if its used to feed another room? If I turn it off, will the backs still work with 7.1 movies?

Thanks
Lg
post #734 of 939 Old 08-05-2013, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My unit is constantly hot to the touch, like it isn't shutting off even in standby mode. Is this normal? I have the setting for pass through turned on, is this why it is staying hot? As far as ventilation, it is open on the front, back, both sides, and about 3" on top.

Marantz SR5007 | KEF R500 | Panasonic P50ST50
post #735 of 939 Old 08-05-2013, 04:35 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

ok cool that I can stream to zone 2. how tho?

if I right click on an mp3 and select play to... it playing in zone 1. how do I tell it active in zone 2

again thanks heaps
Taza

Set Zone 2 to ON and select the NET/USB source just as you would for the main zone.

post #736 of 939 Old 08-05-2013, 04:39 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudgonzo View Post

I thought zone 2 had to be on to operate the back surrounds, or is that only if its used to feed another room? If I turn it off, will the backs still work with 7.1 movies?

Thanks
Lg

First note that the SBL/SBR amps are always hot, regardless of whether you select Zone 2 or not. If you're using all 7 CH in the main zone, the only reason you would need Zone 2 ON is if you are using the Zone 2 pre-outs.

post #737 of 939 Old 08-05-2013, 04:42 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmasta346 View Post

My unit is constantly hot to the touch, like it isn't shutting off even in standby mode. Is this normal? I have the setting for pass through turned on, is this why it is staying hot? As far as ventilation, it is open on the front, back, both sides, and about 3" on top.

As noted in the previous posts, check to make sure you don't have Zone 2 set to ON (ie. if you see the black bar in the upper right then Zone 2 is ON so set it to OFF if not using it).

post #738 of 939 Old 08-05-2013, 05:16 PM

Hi, I did buy the Marantz SR7007 and am pleased with it. The Audyssey sound program really brings the speakers to life. I one problem I had, I caused. The circuit breaker would trip off every 4-5 seconds. I noticed the sound (now having the TV connected to its own speakers with the A/V Receiver out of commission) would decrease for about 5 seconds when I clicked on a tv channel to record. The wires were connected to the speakers but one was loose. Voila, problem solved. I reset the microprocessor on the Receiver and all was well. The only thing I do not like about it is configuring the speakers. I do not have side surround speakers but in order to include my rear surround in the Audyssey programming, I have to indicate I have side speakers before the rear speakers will be recognized. I also have to connect the rear surround speakers to the "Surround" terminal rather than to the "Surround Back" terminal which intuitively makes no sense to me. I used a powerline ethernet adapter to get internet radio stations, some podcasts, Pandora, SiriusXM, Spotify and Flickr but am still figuring out how to get any streaming media from my PC,
My wife wants a small speaker that is bright (makes voices clear and distinct) that she can put on the table next to her. I would connect it to the center channel terminal. Any suggestions? The Spousal Factor demands the speaker be no bigger than about 6 1/2 inches in any directiion. Thanks
post #739 of 939 Old 08-05-2013, 05:45 PM
585-645-1006

Not sure if you have a 5007 or 7007, but note this is the 5007 thread. Note also that in a 5.1 setup, regardless of whether you prefer to have the surrounds to the rear, their intended location is to the side which is why they are "side surrounds". Going to a 7.1 setup would introduce the "surround back" speakers. Regarding the center speaker issue, why not try to solve the issue with what you have on hand now? Ensure the center speaker is pulled out to the edge of the cabinet and angled up towards your seated ear height (if you do this though you must run Audyssey again to recalibrate the center speaker again). Also for TV/music, you can set the Audyssey Dyn EQ Reference Level Offset to 10db which will reduce the bass/surround boost and thus improve the center channel dialogue. Other options include simply increasing the center channel volume level and using Dynamic Volume set to Medium which will help to boost the lower level dialogue. And finally, yet another option (if dialogue is preferred over surround audio) use the "Multi CH Stereo" setting which will pass the same stereo audio playing to the front speakers to your rear speakers (although if you placed them to the "sides" as intended, this would help improve the dialogue issue with your wife when using the Multi CH Stereo mode.

post #740 of 939 Old 08-05-2013, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

As noted in the previous posts, check to make sure you don't have Zone 2 set to ON (ie. if you see the black bar in the upper right then Zone 2 is ON so set it to OFF if not using it).

I believe it was set to OFF, but to make sure I turned it off. I will report back tomorrow if it remains hot. It is cool now, but I powered it down and then unplugged it for a few minutes. This was probably a few hours ago.

On the flip side, it had not been powered on since this morning.

Marantz SR5007 | KEF R500 | Panasonic P50ST50
post #741 of 939 Old 08-14-2013, 01:33 PM

I just got my 5007 and am loving it but I cant for the life of me figure out how to hook up my WII?
post #742 of 939 Old 08-14-2013, 03:35 PM

Component inputs on the back for video, and then pick a pair of audio inputs for the sound. Reassign thru the input menu and you should be all set
post #743 of 939 Old 08-14-2013, 05:06 PM

Hey everyone, looking for some help/wisdom here in my troubleshooting endeavor.

2 weeks ago I bought a Marantz SR-5007 Receiver and a Samsung 65" F8000 TV. My setup is as follows : Samsung BD Player, Mac Mini, U-Verse box all going to Marantz Receiver via HDMI. Marantz to TV via HDMI. HDMI-CEC turned on on both TV & Receiver for audio output from Samsung SmartHub on TV to Receiver.

Initially I tested everything out to make sure all devices were working with the new setup. I then noticed an issue with two of the devices later that occurred intermittently (a couple times each). Issue :

1. Tried to play a 3D blu-ray and got a blue screen message from the BD player saying I have to have a 3D HDTV and a BD player with the latest firmware to play the disc. I tried another 3D disc, same message. I tried a 2D disc and played fine. I power cycled and tried changing cables/same thing. I unplugged power to Marantz receiver and then the issue went away (can't recall if I power cycled the BD player at same time, probably did). Other times it would play just fine and then other times the message came back.

2. Switched to mac mini input to play something on Win 8 (dual booting with Mac OS on mac mini) and got a message from TV in a box on screen saying "Resolution not supported". This was weird to me because it was working fine when I tested it after initial setup. I tried changing resolutions on mini for the fun of it and nothing worked. I eventually rebooted in to Mac OS to see if message would show from there too and screen came up fine. I rebooted back in to Win 8 and worked fine then... very weird. other times it would work fine in Win 8 and couple times go the resolution message from tv.

3. Marantz receiver was turning itself on. This happened like 3 times in the passed 2 weeks since I've had it. I would be in room and hear a click and look over to see it on. The guy told me to try turning off HDMI-CEC/Anynet+ to see if that was somehow causing it to turn on otherwise it could be an issue with the power supply relay or something. I turned it off and am monitoring that issue... hasn't happened in passed day or so since.. we'll see on this one...

I called Marantz tech support to see if they had any input thinking it could be the receiver. The guy told me of the HDMI EDID, which apparently is a signal that is sent when devices come on via HDMI that says what the other devices capabilities are (resolution/refresh/3D/etc). He said sounds like the EDID communication is being lost somewhere. He pointed to the TV losing it somehow and said that doing the power cycle or unplugging/replugging HDMI would re-initiate (which the unplugging HDMI didn't, but still). Once when I got the resolution message on the mini I grabbed an extra HDMI and plugged it directly from mini to TV and switched to that input on TV and got the same message... That made me think it is the TV.. I just don't know at this point and am trying to figure out which device is causing the issue so I can take it back and swap out. I think I'm going to plug the BD player and mini directly to the TV via HDMI, temporarily for troubleshooting, to see if the issue persists that way. If so I will know its the TV and maybe is a firmware issue or something (have the latest on everything). The TV is new to Samsung so maybe that could be it.... I'm at a loss ...

any help/input would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks much

Billy
post #744 of 939 Old 08-14-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan97 View Post

Component inputs on the back for video, and then pick a pair of audio inputs for the sound. Reassign thru the input menu and you should be all set

I got it hooked up through the DVD component inputs and the DVD audio inputs and sound as well as video is fine. it shows sound as "auto".
However if I try to hook it up to any other audio inputs or assign it to GAME input I get sound but no video or vice versa. it only shows sound as 7.1 but no sound is heard

I can live with it as is but for wife,kids or babysitter it would be ideal as GAME, any suggestions?

thanks
post #745 of 939 Old 08-15-2013, 06:54 PM
585-645-1006

^^
http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-1080P-Output-Upscaling-Converter/dp/B007PY3ZPG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376618025&sr=8-1&keywords=wii2+hdmi

post #746 of 939 Old 08-24-2013, 09:19 AM

Does anybody know the output voltage? Earlier in the thread someone suggested it's about 1.2. I'm wondering if it's got the juice for crown xls amps.

For Sale:

Salamander Synergy Triple 20 walnut/black aluminum. Like new.
B&W HTM62 Wenge
Rotel RSX-1057

Local only. Photo's up in gallery, PM for additional info.
post #747 of 939 Old 08-26-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

I set it up this was to remove the AVR from the chain for my wife's benefit. My wife doesn't get along and play well with technology. Having things setup in this fashion, she hits one button and everything works just dandy; the TV and Cable Box power on. She can listen to the television via the television speakers or with a set of headphones and doesn't have to worry about switching errors. Remembering switching reduces her to tears. A man's toys are not meant to cause one's wife to cry in frustration. Hence the need to keep things as user friendly as possible. One button access, equals no tears and with the cable box provided premium channels, she has all the movies she can digest with no need for the AVR. biggrin.gif

We have two cables going into the television. One for the cable box and one from the AVR. When the Blu-ray player is used, the Blu-ray information is auto passed (switched) to the television via the AVR. My wife has no need to even look at the AVR when used in this fashion.

The third HDMI cable goes from the Blu-ray player to the AVR.

As to HDMI cables, one needs to be sure to have "High Speed" HDMI cables. I've read that a lot of intermittent problems are cured by replacing HDMI cables with High Speed HDMI cables. Don't know if that will be your case but if your cables are not High Speed, I would encourage having your cables replaced to see if doing so solves the problems. MonoPrice has a boatload of well priced, High Speed choices.

You're welcome.

I'm missing something in our setup with regard to highlighted quote above.....and I hope someone can help me point it out.
Our current setup includes a blu ray player plugged into the AVR using high speed hdmi, and then from the AVR to the tv. Currently we cannot play a movie without turning on the AVR. Sometimes at night we want to watch a movie and just use the TV speakers. We have to turn the AVR on, then switch to TV speakers, but the AVR must remain on, otherwise if we turn it off/standby, then we lose the feed from the blu rayer to the TV.

Is there anyway to make this work (watch movies without turning on AVR), or do we have to run another hdmi from the 2nd hdmi blu ray out put directly to the tv, and run it that way?

thanks,
lg
post #748 of 939 Old 08-28-2013, 11:01 AM

bump
post #749 of 939 Old 08-28-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 471
According to the product page, the SR5007 has HDMI "Pass through in standby mode", so if it's not working for you, it may just be a matter of setting the correct configuration in the set-up menu.

-- Edit --
According to the manual for the SR6007 (the 5007 should be similar), set "HDMI Control" to "ON" and then set the "Standby Source" (either "Last", or a specific source).
post #750 of 939 Old 08-28-2013, 05:52 PM
585-645-1006

^^
What he said. smile.gif

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5007 Home Theater Av Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page