585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bigins View Post

My questions;

I'm using all speakers including 2 - 12" sub woofers. My rear speakers(6&7) aren't being recognized by the receiver. I'm running 12awg quality wire somewhere between 35' - 40' to each speaker. Are the wires too long? Am I using up so much power that the receiver doesn't have the power to recognize them(too long of wire)? Or what is the problem?

I can cut them maybe another 3-4' if that will do it. Otherwise do I need a booster?

2) I plan to get an Emotiva amplifier. My fronts are Martin Logan ESL speakers(new). My surrounds & rears are Paradigm. What do I want to amplify, all 7 channels? If no, will the receiver put out power to the speakers that are not amplified?

Will the sub woofers work the same way with the Emotiva 7ch amplifier?

Which Emotiva amp would you recommend? I don't need one with an HDMi switcher.

Will the sub woofers work the same way as without the amp?

What will I be able to do with my new iPad when I get it with the sr5007?

Thanks for reading. If you can help, thanks again.

1. The speaker wire length isn't the problem. Are test tones going to the speakers when you run Audyssey setup?
2. Suggest using the AVR without the amp first, then you can decide if you want a 2CH, 3CH, or 5CH amp, with the AVR powering the remaining speakers.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 937 Old 10-15-2013, 01:50 PM
585-645-1006

Firmware Update Changelog

The following changelog for the recent firmware update applies to the X007 series:

1) Swedish translation. Found a translation error.
2) Airplay does not play the sound synchronously with sound on the PC and other Airplay devices, e.g. B&W A5, A7, Air.
3) When TV Format is "PAL", the aspect ratio is not correct.
4) When new features included Multi-Artists Radio of Last.fm is used and played, the set starts the reconnection operation and fails in the connection.
5) The Preset Names of FM-Tuner can't change from Web.
6) After the update and AudysseyPro measurement, the set cannot access the WEB page.
7) Radio Text from Russian Internet Radio Station "Nashi Pesni 98.9FM" is not displayed correctly.
8) The BBC broadcasting station of the Internet radio cannot play from Remote App.
9) After the log in of SPOTIFY, when the customer changes the source or restart the unit (POWER OFF/ON), the customer needs the account logon again
10) When the customer starts Remote App, the display of Remote App might become abnormal.
11) The PlayerView button in the NetUSB browse screen by Remote App was added. The SleepTimer setting by Remote App was added.
12) After the firmware is updated, the device is not found via the ios application.
13) Random Feature in Spotify follows to Pandora.
14) The source doesn't change into SiriusXM even if SiriusXM is selected by Apps.
15) "File Format Error" and "Track Not Found" are displayed by playing a specific iRadio station, and, if "Enter" is pushed, the display becomes empty "PlayView".

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #813 of 937 Old 10-15-2013, 11:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

bvannorman,

What media player are you using?

FWIW, my understanding is that Netflix intentionally limits PC streaming service to stereo.
5.1 audio is available for some of their movies when using most BD players as streaming devices.

Just finished codec test. You are right. However the BD player only accesses the first Netflix profile and not the other 5 - so the first profile is now named "BluRay Device". Yuck!

post #814 of 937 Old 10-17-2013, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

1. The speaker wire length isn't the problem. Are test tones going to the speakers when you run Audyssey setup?
2. Suggest using the AVR without the amp first, then you can decide if you want a 2CH, 3CH, or 5CH amp, with the AVR powering the remaining speakers.

I have test toned tested myself and that's where the 6&7 speakers don't show up. I can't test them. I haven't run the Audyssey setup, but I assume it will only do a 5.2 set up since they aren't showing manually.

The AVR has plenty of power to run all speakers including the 2 subs just fine with no amplification at all, even for my front speakers? My center is a Martin Logan Motion 8.

Because when I run just 1 of the sub woofers, it takes less power than when I have both subs on. I have to turn both subs to their maximum almost, which does work. But that is concerning to me when running all the speakers.

I guess first thing is I need to get 6&7 working. So what should I try?

Thank you very much. I'll be around now through the weekend.
post #815 of 937 Old 10-17-2013, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Have you done a microprocessor reset?
(See page 154 of the owners manual.)

With an open-box unit, the previous owner might have left it configured in some way which disabled the rear-surround outputs. Resetting to factory settings is a good place to start, so you know what state you're starting from.

The need to turn up the individual subwoofer volume levels suggests that the receiver's internal subwoofer trim levels are set to a very low level. Again, this could be due to settings left over from the previous owner.

Selden
post #816 of 937 Old 10-17-2013, 02:10 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bigins View Post

I have test toned tested myself and that's where the 6&7 speakers don't show up. I can't test them. I haven't run the Audyssey setup, but I assume it will only do a 5.2 set up since they aren't showing manually.

The AVR has plenty of power to run all speakers including the 2 subs just fine with no amplification at all, even for my front speakers? My center is a Martin Logan Motion 8.

Because when I run just 1 of the sub woofers, it takes less power than when I have both subs on. I have to turn both subs to their maximum almost, which does work. But that is concerning to me when running all the speakers.

I guess first thing is I need to get 6&7 working. So what should I try?

Thank you very much. I'll be around now through the weekend.

Run Audyssey. Also, if you are using "powered" subs with a cable connected from the sub pre-out, the AVR doesn't provide any power to the subs as each has its own dedicated amp.

post #817 of 937 Old 10-18-2013, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvannorman View Post

Quote:

By "media player" I meant what software package do you use under Win7 to send audio/video over HDMI? Windows Media Player, VLC, Media Player Classic, something else? This is mostly for my own edification. I usually use VLC but the way it handles stereo over multichannel HDMI isn't optimal (it normally uses the front two channels and leaves the others silent).
Yes, I have that very same symptoms and I also use VLC for rendering. The "fix" was one of my "issues".
- Copy the "sound" setting app from "Control Panel" to a more easily accessed location
- VLC, under tools / media information / Codec / find the audio stream and examine "channels". It should be either "Stereo" or "3F2R/LFE" or some such.
My "Sound" setting app offers 3 devices, one of which is "AMD HDMI Output" - my default device
- select the HDMI device and then the "Configure" button
My HDMI device configuration lists four "audio channel" settings -Stereo, -Quadraphonic, -5.1 Surround, and -7.1 Surround. Select the one that matches the media codec configuration. My result is that the SR5007 automatically responds with a very good upmix setting for my DD-EX (6.1) speaker configuration. Stereo goes to a Neo:6 upmix and 5.1 goes to Dolby D + PLIIx upmix.

I've also tested 7.1 downmix to 6.1 and it works very well. I like the SR5007 more than I like Windows:-)

My grandson (age 8) stayed over (he sleeps in the HT room) so I haven't been able to test the Netflix audio codec on the Sony DB player. I'll get there eventually.

I've been investigating media player software over the past couple of days.
See http://www.avsforum.com/t/1495316/which-media-players-reconfigure-hdmi-to-match-number-of-source-channels

It turns out that there are at least three freeware packages which will "do the right thing" essentially out-of-the box. I.e. they can be configured to change the HDMI output automatically to stereo when playing 2 channel audio and to the appropriate number of surround-sound channels when playing multichannel audio: you have to select an included WASAPI audio output plugin and configure it to use the HDMI output.

There's an audio/video package called "ReClock" which is claimed to be able provide this feature for any media player, but it generated error messages when I tried to configure it.

The players I found are

Foobar2000
MediaMonkey
XBMC

There doubtless are others, but these seem to provide a reasonable selection of different user interface philosophies. Foobar2000 and MediaMonkey both have minimalist user interfaces similar to that used by VLC. In contrast, XBMC has a full-screen GUI designed to hide the fact that a (ewww!) computer is being used.

Personally, I think I'll be switching from using VLC to using MediaMonkey. As much as anything, I like it's desktop icon design much better than Foobar's, and Foobar's method of handling its plugin gave my AV software (Comodo) fits.

FWIW, it looks like VLC might be supporting WASAPI Real Soon Now.

Selden
post #818 of 937 Old 10-22-2013, 06:49 AM
J2d

Hey, I used to have trouble with the airplay function, songs pausing and whatnot, but I got some advice here that I should connect my imac directly to my marantz with an ethernet cable and those problems have now stopped. But some other problems have surfaced. Itunes sometimes can't find my marantz and I have to go into my sound preferences to find it and then activate it. Is there anyway to solve this?
post #819 of 937 Old 10-22-2013, 04:34 PM
585-645-1006

^^
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#user_L1

post #820 of 937 Old 10-22-2013, 09:08 PM

So, I’m looking at upgrading my old RX-V800 Yamaha in my media/theatre room and the SR5007 has caught my eye in terms of what it offers in my price range. I have also looked at the Denon 2313 and the Pioneer VSX922 but I keep coming back to the Marantz.
I’m using a complete Yamaha 5.1 speaker setup (NS200/300 series with a SW800 sub) and am happy with the way they sound at the moment but want to move onto a new AVR that has newer features (the 800 doesn’t even have HDMI!) However, I don’t want to sacrifice sound quality for features when upgrading.
Listening wise the system is mainly for movies (blu ray/streaming) and games with actual music listening the last of its uses.
I like the idea of 7.2 as well so I would be looking at adding another sub and more speakers in the future.
Of course this is the owners thread so I know the opinions will be biased  but I just wanted to get a feel for the unit and how it sounds compared to the Yamaha as none of the stores near me have any 5007 units to test out so I would be buying on line. I’ve listened to two new Yamaha units in my price range and was not too impressed I have to say, hence the change in brad direction.

If anyone has used the two or could give any advice on this versus the Yamaha I would appreciate it!
post #821 of 937 Old 10-24-2013, 09:19 AM

I have a Sony blu-ray disc player connected using HDMI cable to the AVR.

When I play a blu-ray disc, the audio/video gets lost intermittently. At first sight, one may conclude this is a handshake problem.

However, when I play avi files stored onto a USB stick hooked to the sony blu-ray player, everything is fine. The signal is perfectly constant.

The signal losses during blu-ray disc play back does not seem to be a handshake problem. May it be caused by video signal conversion in the AVR? 

++++

Had issues with cable box too so I connected it directly to the TV using a HDMI cable plus an optical cable from TV to receiver after reading most of the posts on this forum (my girlfriend thinks I'm going crazy - she may be right, because reading this lowers my trust and enjoyment of the product!!!).

This is my very first AVR.  I like it a lot when it works. But I can't help feeling this is not the plug and play gadget I was expecting.

Anyway, thanks for your time replying/commenting.

post #822 of 937 Old 10-24-2013, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Since USB playback is OK but BDP playback glitches, one must suspect the BDP, the cable between the BDP and the AVR, the AVR's inputs and how the AVR handles the BDP's signal.

In most cases, HDMI cables are the source of the problems. Here are some things to try:

0. as a test, reduce the bitrate coming from the BDP to see if the problem is with the frequency characteristics of the cable. If the problems go away with lower bitrates, then very likely the cable is inadequate.
a. disable deep color (This change can be permanent. No BDs use it.)
b. configure the BDP to always output a 1080i signal

1. verify that the cable is certified High Speed. Some short Standard Speed cables can reliably transport 1080p or 3D, but that capability isn't guaranteed.

2. inspect the cable for obvious flaws in its construction

3. ensure that the cable is fully and snugly seated in both the player and in the AVR: push on its ends. Just because it looks seated doesn't mean that it is. HDMI's connector design is abominable.

4. try another High Speed cable. Some flaws are not apparent to the naked eye or without disassembling the cable. You don't have to pay a fortune for a good cable. Monoprice and Blue Jenas both make quality, inexpensive cables. Repeat steps 2 & 3.

5. try different HDMI inputs on the AVR. Their labels are just conveniences. They all have the same functional capabilities, but have different routes on the circuit board, which sometimes can make a difference. In particular, the front port is quite different. Repeat step 3.

6. replace the BDP

7. replace or repair the AVR.

I hope this helps a little.

Selden
post #823 of 937 Old 10-25-2013, 03:06 PM

Have a bit of dilemma. I just upgraded my 5007 to the latest firmware this morning and all of sudden my left speaker is no longer playing audio. All the other speakers are working except left. I ran through the Audyssey setup, which is failing cause it can't hear the speaker and tested the manual tones with no luck. I have so far reset the unit back to factory defaults and am not having any luck. My next thing to try is to roll back the firmware, but I am unsure if thats even possible? Would anyone know where I can get the previous firmware release and if its possible to load via USB stick? I have had this unit for just over a year and the warranty of course expired few days ago.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #824 of 937 Old 10-25-2013, 03:17 PM
585-645-1006

There is no way to "roll back" the software. Have you confirmed that speaker hasn't died? Try swapping the FL and FR speaker wires and test.

post #825 of 937 Old 10-25-2013, 03:19 PM

I did swap and its definitely not the speakers but the left speaker output on the receiver.
post #826 of 937 Old 10-25-2013, 04:39 PM
585-645-1006

If you purchased the unit "new" from an authorized dealer, it comes with a 3 year warranty, otherwise if's a refurb, then you may want to check with your credit card issuer as they may add an additional year to the 1 year refurb warranty.

post #827 of 937 Old 10-26-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:

Since USB playback is OK but BDP playback glitches, one must suspect the BDP, the cable between the BDP and the AVR, the AVR's inputs and how the AVR handles the BDP's signal.

In most cases, HDMI cables are the source of the problems. Here are some things to try:

0. as a test, reduce the bitrate coming from the BDP to see if the problem is with the frequency characteristics of the cable. If the problems go away with lower bitrates, then very likely the cable is inadequate.

1. verify that the cable is certified High Speed. Some short Standard Speed cables can reliably transport 1080p or 3D, but that capability isn't guaranteed.

3. ensure that the cable is fully and snugly seated in both the player and in the AVR: push on its ends. Just because it looks seated doesn't mean that it is. HDMI's connector design is abominable.

4. try another High Speed cable. Some flaws are not apparent to the naked eye or without disassembling the cable. You don't have to pay a fortune for a good cable. Monoprice and Blue Jenas both make quality, inexpensive cables. Repeat steps 2 & 3.

5. try different HDMI inputs on the AVR. Their labels are just conveniences. They all have the same functional capabilities, but have different routes on the circuit board, which sometimes can make a difference. In particular, the front port is quite different. Repeat step 3.

6. replace the BDP

7. replace or repair the AVR.

I hope this helps a little.

Hey! Selden Ball!

Thanks so much for the detailed troubleshooting explanations.

Unfortunately, nothing seems to work.

After many unsuccessful attempts, I must admit that this 5007 Marantz AVR seems to be a poorly designed piece of kit.

I was expecting more.

I only intended to use two speakers, a cable box, BD player and TV + Airplay from PC.

Everything has only been working part time for me so far after 20 days of trial and error and error and error.

Troubleshooting a 650$ AVR should not be a part time job.

From all your steps, I end up retaining number 7.

Returning it to the store where I bought it before it is too late for refund.

Will make sure not to pick another one of the same brand.

Pretty sad.

Ciao!

post #828 of 937 Old 10-27-2013, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesofla View Post

Have a bit of dilemma. I just upgraded my 5007 to the latest firmware this morning and all of sudden my left speaker is no longer playing audio. All the other speakers are working except left. I ran through the Audyssey setup, which is failing cause it can't hear the speaker and tested the manual tones with no luck. I have so far reset the unit back to factory defaults and am not having any luck. My next thing to try is to roll back the firmware, but I am unsure if thats even possible? Would anyone know where I can get the previous firmware release and if its possible to load via USB stick? I have had this unit for just over a year and the warranty of course expired few days ago.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried unplugging the receiver from wall power for a few minutes? Sometimes that kind of soft reset can fix glitches.

Selden
post #829 of 937 Old 10-27-2013, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by touellon View Post

Quote:

4. try another High Speed cable. Some flaws are not apparent to the naked eye or without disassembling the cable. You don't have to pay a fortune for a good cable. Monoprice and Blue Jenas both make quality, inexpensive cables. Repeat steps 2
Hey! Selden Ball!
Thanks so much for the detailed troubleshooting explanations.
Unfortunately, nothing seems to work.
After many unsuccessful attempts, I must admit that this 5007 Marantz AVR seems to be a poorly designed piece of kit.
I was expecting more.
I only intended to use two speakers, a cable box, BD player and TV + Airplay from PC.
Everything has only been working part time for me so far after 20 days of trial and error and error and error.
Troubleshooting a 650$ AVR should not be a part time job.
From all your steps, I end up retaining number 7.
Returning it to the store where I bought it before it is too late for refund.
Will make sure not to pick another one of the same brand.
Pretty sad.
Ciao!

Unfortunately, individual defective units are a fact of life from all of the manufacturers. They don't happen often, but you may have encountered one. Hopefully the replacement you choose will work fine.

Selden
post #830 of 937 Old 10-28-2013, 02:06 PM

I am having an odd intermittent (I think) problem with internet or bluetooth based sources. Usually, they sound great. However, once in a while, at certain frequencies of sound, the sources will sound a bit "garbled" (the underwater sound). Things don't go away totally, just certain high frequencies will sound a bit off. It's as if there is some sort of resonance between the A/D rate and the source sound or maybe a sample or two gets lost now & then. I don't have access to a digital sweep generator or similar to see if I can nail down the exact frequencies of this oddity.

Any suggestions?
post #831 of 937 Old 10-28-2013, 02:58 PM

I am trying to add a Parasound amp for my center-channel speaker to the Marantz pre-out. I have hooked the Parasound up to another receiver i own with no problems. When i connect it to the Marantz i get a buzzing through the speaker even with the Marantz volume all the way down. When i unplug the interconnect the buzzing stops. Is there something i can do to fix this issue or is it an internal issue within the Marantz that will have to be repaired? i have tried different interconnects with no luck.

post #832 of 937 Old 10-28-2013, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

My guess is that it's probably a "ground loop".

Make sure your Parasound amps are plugged into the same power strip with the Marantz. If they're plugged into a different wall socket, you can't be sure they're on the same power phase unless you explicitly test for that. Most homes in the U.S. have two different phases of power. If your audio equipment is on different phases, you will have problems. Usually it shows up as a 60Hz hum, but not always.

Selden
post #833 of 937 Old 10-29-2013, 04:41 AM

Both Marantz an parasound are plugged in to an APC power conditioner.
post #834 of 937 Old 10-29-2013, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, fooey. I do have to agree that it seems likely to be the receiver's preamp output.

I'm not sure if by "different interconnects" you mean different cables or different outputs.

Just to be thorough, although you've probably considered these...

How far apart are the receiver and amp? Longer line-level signal runs are more prone to pick up noise.

Might the RCA cable be picking up radiated noise from somewhere? A nearby fan motor, for example?

Do you get the same (or similar) noise if you connect the Parasound to any of the receiver's other preamp outputs? It might be easier persuade them it's a problem and get it fixed if one particular output is failing.

Have you tried running an external ground wire between the chassis of the receiver and the chassis of the amp? Just touching the wire to both at the same time might be enough to test different ground potentials.

Selden
post #835 of 937 Old 10-31-2013, 12:55 PM

Well, Selden thank you for your input. I have Tried different cables all under 3 feet in length. There is not anything, that i can tell, nearby that from which the rca's could be picking up noise. All of the pre-outs make the same noise except the zone 2 pre-outs, and both sub pre-puts. Marantz has agreed to fix the problem. The only problem is that I have to ship the unit almost 400 miles away as that is their closest certified repair specialist to me. The shipping fee would be my responsibility. I was trying to exhaust all options before even thinking of shipping the unit. Now I'm begining to think there is no way around it. Again, thank you for your input!

post #836 of 937 Old 10-31-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

You're very welcome for what little help I could provide.

Hopefully the repair center will be able to fix it. My understanding is that they usually pay for return shipping.

Selden
post #837 of 937 Old 11-01-2013, 06:46 AM

Hi, you all helped me choose my stereo system last year and I appreciate it and am loving the Marantz SR5007 with Energy v6.3 speakers.

Now I have a question. I want to finally set up the Internet radio and am using the Setup assistant. it tells me to connect the receiver to the router with an ethernet cable, but I can't because the router is in a different room than the stereo (opposite ends of home). So what is the alternative? Thank you!
post #838 of 937 Old 11-01-2013, 06:53 AM

The only alternative I can think of, if your router has WiFi capability, is to add a wireless access point with an Ethernet port. Such as the netgear an802tv2.
post #839 of 937 Old 11-01-2013, 07:00 AM

Please allow me to clarify. The BEST option is to have an ethernet cable pulled from your router to your a/v system. But this can be pretty tricky depending on multiple factors. Also, the wireless option may be dependent upon your routers capabilities and the size of your home.If your not comfortable pulling an ethernet cable from your router to your system, try the wireless access point but keep the packaging, in case you need to return it.

post #840 of 937 Old 11-01-2013, 07:18 AM

Thanks for your response. I didn't know if I'd be able to add a Netgear in this room, as my cable company installed the one modem & router in the other room, so I phoned Marantz. Their tech guy explained that since the receiver doesn't have Wifi capability, the only way to use the internet radio is to have a cable running directly from the model/router into the receiver, so I have to get the cable co. out here. What threw me is, I have a little Teac internet radio that works wirelessly, so I assumed that the receiver could do the same. Thanks again for your response.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5007 Home Theater Av Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page