AVS Forum banner

Marantz SR5007 Owner's Thread

216K views 1K replies 205 participants last post by  frankusb 
#1 ·
I am looking to upgrade my receiver from my 5-year-old Onkyo. I was looking at the Denon models, specifically the AVR-2113CI, but the reviews for that one are a little too inconsistent. Then I came across the SR5007 in a Magnolia store. I don't have a 7.1 setup, nor have the need for the preamp outputs, but I figure it's good future proofing. I will be connecting the receiver to some Sierra-1 mains, SuperZero 2.0 surrounds, and a cylinder SVS subwoofer.

There are surprisingly few reviews of this model to be found on the web, but the ones I have found seem to be very positive. How is this receiver regarded around here? How would it compare with the 2113CI? Is the Marantz worth the $150 extra I would pay over the Denon?

#853 ·

Hi.

Unfortunately I am finding myself with the same problem and like you all probably already know it’s so

not what you would be expecting from this product.

I live in South Africa so getting in touch with the agent is not the most efficient thing in the world. My network sound also went soft and it also might have something to do with my Samsung Galaxy S3. I have tried all that was discus and even completely removed all the HDMI and speaker cables before a reset but as we all know there is still no Network sound.

If any one of you has actually been able to get your sound back to normal or have any advice as to perhaps trying something different please can you help?

PS. May all thoughts be with the Mandela family today.

'' HAMBA KAHLE, MADIBA''

#854 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubabluete  /t/1432327/marantz-sr5007-owners-thread/480#post_23131313

Hi. I`m new here and my english is not so good, because I`m from Austria.

I have a problem and I hope you can help me:

I own a SR5007 and did the firmware update with LAN-connection. Everything worked fine.

I tested internet radio and it was ok, but suddely the internet radio was very quiet. I had to turn volume up to 60 - 80.

I read in an other forum (for Denon), that a update via USB should solve the problem. I downloaded the software, unziped it an moved the folders to USB stick. I did the update-procedure recommended by marantz. But the update does not start, instead I get an error like "update failed". Before I did also a processor reset. I tried it a couple of times, but USB update does not work.

Any solutions? Thanks in advance.

update:

I could solve the Problem by my own.

I used an other USB Stick, downloaded the zip-file zu the pc and unpacked the zip update file directly to the stick and tried the update.

It worked fine and the Internet Radio volume is now perfect, like it was before.

I hope this Problem and the updated solution helps someone.

best regards
Hi.

Unfortunately I am finding myself with the same problem and like you all probably already know it’s so not what you would be expecting from this product. I live in South Africa so getting in touch with the agent is not the most efficient thing in the world.

My network sound also went soft and it also might have something to do with my Samsung Galaxy S3. I have tried all that was discus and even completely removed all the HDMI and speaker cables before a reset but as we all know there is still no Network sound. If any one of you has actually been able to get your sound back to normal or have any advice as to perhaps trying something different please can you help?

'' HAMBA KAHLE, MADIBA''

#855 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DRAKE1  /t/1432327/marantz-sr5007-owners-thread/840#post_24039513

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubabluete  /t/1432327/marantz-sr5007-owners-thread/480#post_23131313

I own a SR5007 and did the firmware update with LAN-connection. Everything worked fine.

I tested internet radio and it was ok, but suddely the internet radio was very quiet. I had to turn volume up to 60 - 80.

I read in an other forum (for Denon), that a update via USB should solve the problem. I downloaded the software, unziped it an moved the folders to USB stick. I did the update-procedure recommended by marantz. But the update does not start, instead I get an error like "update failed". Before I did also a processor reset. I tried it a couple of times, but USB update does not work.

update:

I used an other USB Stick, downloaded the zip-file zu the pc and unpacked the zip update file directly to the stick and tried the update.

It worked fine and the Internet Radio volume is now perfect, like it was before.

best regards
Hi.

Unfortunately I am finding myself with the same problem and like you all probably already know it’s so not what you would be expecting from this product. I live in South Africa so getting in touch with the agent is not the most efficient thing in the world.

My network sound also went soft and it also might have something to do with my Samsung Galaxy S3. I have tried all that was discus and even completely removed all the HDMI and speaker cables before a reset but as we all know there is still no Network sound. If any one of you has actually been able to get your sound back to normal or have any advice as to perhaps trying something different please can you help?

'' HAMBA KAHLE, MADIBA''
Is your receiver known by the network? Have a look in the network interface. If not propably the network input is damaged.

I had network but sound was very quiet.

#856 ·

new here, just recently got a 5007 and was excited to watch a blu ray.  I thought everything was setup properly but im getting a lot of bright white specs all over the screen.  I tried different HDMI cables and I even ran the blu ray directly to the tv which solves the problem.  Any suggestions why going through the receiver is causing little bright white specs everywhere across the screen? 

thanks

#858 ·

Quote:

update:

best regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzin  /t/1432327/marantz-sr5007-owners-thread/570#post_23269724

I'm having a similar issue as these guys with the low volume on the Network input. My problem seems to have occured the same way that Vikz's did. Vikz, how exactly did you go about solving this issue? Just like you, I was just fiddling around with the volume keys on the side of my Galaxy S4, and now the volume is way down low on any Network source audio (Pandora, Internet Radio, Media Server, etc.). This is very frustrating. Pushing the up volume button on my phone does nothing. Anyone else have any suggestions? I've tried unplugging the receiver already, no dice there.
HI cubabluete .

Danke Schon

I did the update with a USB and now the network sound is normal again.

Perhaps it was a disrupted ODA update? But the important part is that sound is back.

I am sure that your advice will help a lot of people on this forum.

THANKS

#859 ·

Hi there, new to this forum.

I recently bought this AVR and I've been really happy with it. This morning, at the end of a .flac song I was listening to (the AVR is connected to my home network and music is streamed by a twonky server on a QNAP Nas)  the AVR failed to move to the following song on the album and got stuck.

Everything else worked (Tuner, CD, etc.) but there was no way to unblock the device from that song; even when I turned to Internet Radio the display showed  "Now Playing ..." that song and nothing happened.

I had to soft reset the AVR (unplugged the power cord for 10 minutes) to restore it to the normal behaviour.

Did some fo you experience a problem like this ? What could be the source of the problem ?

Thank you very much

Davide

#860 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiet  /t/1432327/marantz-sr5007-owners-thread/840#post_24072451

new here, just recently got a 5007 and was excited to watch a blu ray.  I thought everything was setup properly but im getting a lot of bright white specs all over the screen.  I tried different HDMI cables and I even ran the blu ray directly to the tv which solves the problem.  Any suggestions why going through the receiver is causing little bright white specs everywhere across the screen? 

thanks

"Bright white specks" are also called "sparklies". They are caused by an inadequate HDMI signal getting to the display: the bitrate is too high and is getting distorted, usually by using inadequate cables. This causes some of the video pixels to not be detected by the display, so the default color (white) is shown instead. You can fix this by reducing the bitrate and/or getting higher quality cables.

The most common way to reduce the bitrate is to disable Deep Color in the disc player. No commercial video source uses deep color, although it is used by some high-end camcorders. In particular, no Blu-ray disc uses it (they all provide only 8 bits per color channel), so turning it off does no harm to the video's quality. Another way to reduce the bitrate even further is to set the player to output a fixed 1080i or 720p signal instead of letting it output the actual resolution of the source material (usually 1080p).

By "higher quality cables", I mean that you need to verify that the cables are certified "High Speed", not that you need to spend a fortune on boutique cables. Your symptoms suggest that you might be using "Standard Speed" cables. "Standard Speed" cables are only guaranteed to be able to pass 1080i or 720p, not 1080p, 3D or 4K, although sometimes short ones can handle the higher bitrates.

#862 ·
Wanted to know what everyone usually has there volume set to for normal tv/movie watching? My room is not immense roughly 15' x 15' but I have to turn it up well past 50db to be able to make out dialogue and ambient noises. I have gone through the odyssey setup multiple times and even have the center up a few db over the front speakers. I currently run B&W 685 as fronts and b&w htm62 as center. Also have some tiny satellites for surround. Do you guys think its cause my speakers are inefficient or could it be my receiver is just not pumping enough to the speakers?

#863 ·
A common cause of dialog problems is how the center speaker is mounted. It needs to be not recessed in a cabinet, and it needs to be pointed toward the ear height at the primary listening position. Another is not using a tripod or microphone boom stand to place the microphone in the optimal locations.

If you haven't already done so, please take the time to look through the Audyssey 101/faq (link below). It discusses this and other questions you haven't thought of yet. The instructions in the receiver's owner's manual are woefully inadequate.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-51779/51750#post_21782993

Edited to add: most people listen to movies at about 60 (20dB below reference) and to CDs at about 50 (30 dB below reference).

#864 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesofla  /t/1432327/marantz-sr5007-owners-thread/800_100#post_24121502

Wanted to know what everyone usually has there volume set to for normal tv/movie watching? My room is not immense roughly 15' x 15' but I have to turn it up well past 50db to be able to make out dialogue and ambient noises. I have gone through the odyssey setup multiple times and even have the center up a few db over the front speakers. I currently run B&W 685 as fronts and b&w htm62 as center. Also have some tiny satellites for surround. Do you guys think its cause my speakers are inefficient or could it be my receiver is just not pumping enough to the speakers?

50 or -50db? Average volume is likely -40db to -30db or 40-50 depending on the volume scale used. You also may want to try setting Dyn EQ Reference Level Offset to 10db which will reduce the bass/surround boost at these lower volume levels thus improving the center channel dialogue clarity.

#866 ·
Proud owner of the Marantz sr5007 ........just got it a few days ago......been listening to music non stop it seems.......really impressed with the sound.

Currently I have KEF Q100 as my front speakers and a Velodyne Impact-10 as my sub........working my way up to a 5.1 setup.

Thanks for the forum ....

#867 ·
I've got both an SR5007 and SR6007 - had them both over a year now with no problems. Both are on the same wired ethernet network. Lately I've had problems with the 5007 dropping off the network after 3-6 minutes. For example- if I play any internet source of music- pandora, direct internet radio stream (several)- it shows 100% for a few minutes, then rapidly shows 70 then 30 then .... dead.

Same thing happens when using airplay from an iPad. Everything is fine for 3-6 minutes, then airplay stops. I return to the iPad, and the 6007 shows up, but no sign of the 5007. In a few minutes the 5007 is back.

The network isn't the culprit- as I can connect to the same music stream from a Logitech internet radio for hours (days)- without issue- running on the same wired network.

I've power cycled the 5007 (no help). I also changed network settings from fixed to dhcp (no help). Any advice here? Call Marantz? Thanks guys. John

#868 ·
I'm still working on my same problem described above. I called Marantz, and was able to save config info to the receiver itself, but never completed more than 53% save of config.dat over the net (although, again no issue with the 6007 doing the same thing). I just did a microprocessor reset. Clyde at Marantz advised not restoring previous config data saved until I've tried running internet radio a few days to see if the problem cleared.

#869 ·
Well, I solved my intermittent networking problems. After a call to Marantz, I reset the processor... and from a clean installed tried internet radio. 2-3 minutes, and all stop. Tried again and again, same thing. Restored settings, same thing. no problems on the same net with my 6007- so I'm guessing the networking hardware in the receiver has become flaky.

But I solved my problem... bought a Roku 3 for $100 and on the same connection, flawless.

So I've concluded- the embedded clients for Pandora etc are really crude anyway. When there's a networking issue- it involves the whole receiver which you'd be without while it's in service, and which would undoubtedly be more than $100 to fix out of warranty. I bought Marantz for the audio performance anyway- and I think CambridgeAudio has a better solution-

keep the receiver dedicated to audio and video- and leave the streaming / dlna / etc features to AppleTV and Roku.

Thanks for reading anyway.

#870 ·
I've looked elsewhere but can seem to solve a specific issue with my SR5007. If I search my networked attached computers I can play mp3 and wav files but not flac. The entire folder with flac ripped to it doesn't even show up. When I connect a USB drive directly to the SR5007 with flac files on them and play from usb, it plays them just fine. This makes me think it's a network issue but it goes deeper. I can play flac files from one computer on another computer using the same shared network settings. I'm baffled.

#872 ·
For the sake of future finders of my networking question... turns out

1. I still like Roku's better than the internet radio / pandora etc apps built into the Marantz,

but

2. that wasn't the cause of my problem whereby any internet stream playing on the Marantz stopped after 2 minutes.

A small, 5 port netgear ethernet switch was to blame. Nothing else on it having a problem... but a week ago I noticed a whine coming from the switch... swapped it out- Marantz networking issues gone. Put the original switch back- all internet sources stop after ~ 2 minutes. John

#873 ·
If you are using airplay, flac is not supported. If you are using windows media player, it may work as long as the flac specs match what the receiver can support. 96/24 is the limit, I think, but need to check the manual for sure. Network is fussy on this unit. Airplay works flawlessly for me, as do spotify, pandora etc. internet radio is spotty and server support thru windows sometimes works, but is so slow. Good luck!

#874 ·

Hey folks, maybe you can help me out. I just bought the SR5007 and just hooked up the ethernet line. Problem is Airplay icon in Itunes is not always there. Sometimes I have to unplug the line from the modem and put it back in then icon comes back. the last few days ive done this mant times... driving me nuts.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

#875 ·

Hello,First post here,

Im looking to upgrade my old HK avr125 which sounds great (imo) , but lacks hdmi and some other goodies found in the newer receivers.

I have a deal right now on a SR5007 and wondering if I will have a noticable upgrade in sound quality , which is very important to me, and also in power. Even though my avr125 is only rated at 5x45w, it seems to outperform many receivers rated much higher.My question is if the SR 5007 is a worthy upgrade in both sound and power . Thank you in advance for any input from you guys.