AVS Forum banner

Marantz SR5007 Owner's Thread

216K views 1K replies 205 participants last post by  frankusb 
#1 ·
I am looking to upgrade my receiver from my 5-year-old Onkyo. I was looking at the Denon models, specifically the AVR-2113CI, but the reviews for that one are a little too inconsistent. Then I came across the SR5007 in a Magnolia store. I don't have a 7.1 setup, nor have the need for the preamp outputs, but I figure it's good future proofing. I will be connecting the receiver to some Sierra-1 mains, SuperZero 2.0 surrounds, and a cylinder SVS subwoofer.

There are surprisingly few reviews of this model to be found on the web, but the ones I have found seem to be very positive. How is this receiver regarded around here? How would it compare with the 2113CI? Is the Marantz worth the $150 extra I would pay over the Denon?

#877 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadillacJim  /t/1432327/marantz-sr5007-owners-thread/800_100#post_24280752

Hey folks, maybe you can help me out. I just bought the SR5007 and just hooked up the ethernet line. Problem is Airplay icon in Itunes is not always there. Sometimes I have to unplug the line from the modem and put it back in then icon comes back. the last few days ive done this mant times... driving me nuts.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Jim
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#user_L1

#879 ·

Hi all,

I try to re-explain the issue I'm facing in the hope that with some more detail someone could give me a hint on how to solve the problem.

I'm experiencing apparently random issues (twice in the last 3 months) when streaming FLAC music from a QNAP NAS to my AVR and operating by means of the avr-remote app; AVR and NAS are both wired connected to the same LAN; the avr-remote app is running on my Samsung S III smartphone, connected with wi-fi to the same LAN.

Here is the sequence of operations:

1. Start the AVR using the remote

2. Choose Network/Media Player/

3. Browse by Author/Album

4. Playback a Song

5. Music starts ...

6. Start the AVR-Remote app on my Android Phone

7. Connect to the AVR

8. The first song ends

9. The AVR does not move to the following song; it apparently freezes showing always the same title.

From this moment on, nothing else works in the network area (no internet radio, for instance); even resettng the network connection doesn't help: when the connection is restablished, the AVR shows the last song played.

All other functions are working (Radio, Playback from othe sources,...) only Network functions seem affected.

The only workaround is to perform a soft reset (i.e. unplugging the power cord for 10 min.) in order to reestablish the normal behaviour of the unit.

Any help will be appreciated.

#880 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt  /t/1432327/marantz-sr5007-owners-thread/870#post_24333785

Marantz 5007 has more power and way more features than your AVR 125. You'll be happy with it. The high definition HDMI audio and Audyssey MultEQ XT room calibration software will make a big difference too.
Thanks for the reply. Im just wondering if I will notice a big enough difference in sound quality as some say there's not much difference between different receivers.  I might try this Marantz and see for myself.

#889 ·
I've purchased my first HDMI receiver this week with the a refurbished SR5007. It has been a frustrating week. I at first thought the receiver was bad, however I am finally getting somewhere.

My setup:

Speakers: pair of B&W DM302 with matching sub

Plasma Television: Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK with a Panasonic TY-FB7HM HDMI Terminal Expansion Board

Bluray: Sony BDP-S580

Nintendo Wii U

Roku 3

Motorola Cable Box for Comcast

Problems:

1) I can only get video from my Bluray player. My plasma loses signal when I try viewing my cablebox, Roku 3, and Wii U. Is this a DRM issue of sorts?? My plasma is an industrial model, no speakers included and I even had to buy the HDMI board.

2) I first setup my speakers manually. I then used Audessy. But when I try to access "Setup Assistant" in the Setup menu, my tv loses signal. If I hit back, tv regains signal. Hit "Setup Assistant", tv loses signal again. What's the deal??

Many thanks!

#890 ·
^^

Sounds like an HDMI handshake issue with the video board in the TV. Do the sources all connect without issue to the TV? Are you using High Speed cables from a quality dealer (eg. Monoprice or Blue Jeans Cables)? If not try replacing the cables. As you bought a used unit, also reset the microprocessor (p. 154 OM). to ensure all settings are restored to factory settings. If still no joy, try connecting to another TV to see if the issue is with the TV. Take it to a neighbor's house if you don't have another TV. You need to determine if the issue is with your TV or the AVR or the cables.

#891 ·
Yes, all the sources connect with the TV directly.

I am using High Speed cables, but they are not necessarily high quality. Cable 1 is my random old cable; cable #2, 3, 4, & 5 are brand-new three foot AmazonBasic cables; cable #6 is a high-speed 1.4 cable that came with my tv mount.

I have reset the receiver numerous times; it was not until I tried my Blueray player that I realized I probably have a HDMI handshake issue. (is that the same as an HDMI HDCP issue?)

I will take it to my friend's house this week that has an Anthem receiver, DirectTv, etc.

Knowing that I have tried so many HDMI cables do you think it is worth it for me to spend on a Monoprice or Blue Jeans Cable, also knowing that 3 out of 4 sources are giving me problems?

THANKS SO MUCH, been quite a frustrating week!

#894 ·
Update Failure - No Video After Doing Microprocessor Reset

This afternoon when I turned on my system for the second time, there was a notice that an update was available. Approved the update and let it go. When it was reading DSP 25 minutes, got an update failure notice. The DSP update process then restarted. It failed again, restarted, failed again, restarted, etc. The display read DSP 55 Updating Failed, then something like updating restarted. Did this for 40 minutes before I powered it off. Waited a few minutes and powered on. Started the same DSP update with the same results. Powered off , pulled power cord for 30 minutes, recovered and turned on - same results. I then did a Microprocessor reset following manual instructions. Seemed to work, no update process anymore. However, I now have no HDMI output!!

Have had this receiver for about a year with no problems. Past updates went smooth. Was working this morning and this afternoon before I tried to update. Have rechecked all connections. At a loss as to what I am missing.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Steve

#896 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkhurshid  /t/1432327/marantz-sr5007-owners-thread/800_100#post_24526650

Hi

New owner of 5007. Everything is fine except for the set top box,which when I switch to the TV and then back to the set top ,there is no video or audio

Any help is appreciated

Regards

Cable/sat boxes often have HDMI handshake issues with AVRs of all brands. Try each of the HDMI inputs on the AVR and if still no joy, consider connecting HDMI from the set top box directly to the TV with an optical cable from the set top box to the AVR for surround audio.

#897 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1432327/marantz-sr5007-owners-thread/870#post_24533977

^^

Try doing a network reset by pressing/holding the "Preset +" and "Preset -> buttons while powering on the AVR. Also try several resets in a row if necessary.

Have tried numerous resets, several in quick succession, without luck. Still no signal going out over hdmi.

#898 ·
Anyone know what this firmware update does? Is it just updating internet apps.....?

Thanks......Just everything is working great and I rarely use the internet apps on this thing.....just Airplay......

Kinda funny that ....my TV......Blu Ray player and now this AVR all have the same internet apps....just a overload....haha........

#900 ·
#901 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderduck  /t/1432327/marantz-sr5007-owners-thread/870#post_24534673

Have tried numerous resets, several in quick succession, without luck. Still no signal going out over hdmi.

Guess I am out of luck. Doing a reset is not clearing up whatever happened when the update failed. Still have not heard back from Marantz support. Looks like it is time to look for a new receiver.