Marantz SR5007 Owner's Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 937 Old 01-05-2013, 04:02 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
AFAIK, no as the display is so small it defaults to the input source. And yes, only one source can be selected to be the Standby Source (noting also that in order to get it to work correctly with multi channel sources, you may need to set the source to Stereo if it doesn't function correctly in its usual multi channel setting). Another option would be to use a 2:1 HDMI switch between the PS3/Wii and the AVR.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 937 Old 01-05-2013, 04:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased an SR5007 and I love it with a couple of exceptions.

1 - I have a Sharp LC-70LE732U as the video monitor. I have had it for a year now and have used the AVS forums to get the video settings just the way I like them. However, now that I am running all the video through the Marantz via HDMI I am seeing changes to the video quality. There is increased motion blur and a return of the Soap Opera effect. I went to the video settings and tried to make sure that everything was set to zero or off but there are some settings that are always on (eg Movie/Game mode). Any ideas or similar experiences?

2 - Sometimes when I turn on the system I get a black video screen then a message about an incompatible video signal. It corrects itself if I turn the system off then on again but this is annoying.

I would appreciate some help. Thanks!
post #183 of 937 Old 01-05-2013, 05:56 AM
585-645-1006

1. Set the "i/p Scaler" and "Video Conversion" settings to OFF and the "Video Mode" setting to "Game". There are also "Picture Adjust" settings (p. 106 OM) that you can use, although "Video Conversion" must be set to YES.

2. Welcome to the world of HMDI. To mitigate these HDMI handshake issues, try powering on in this order ... TV, wait a few seconds, AVR, wait a few seconds, source.
MacCentric likes this.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #184 of 937 Old 01-05-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

1. Set the "i/p Scaler" and "Video Conversion" settings to OFF and the "Video Mode" setting to "Game". There are also "Picture Adjust" settings (p. 106 OM) that you can use, although "Video Conversion" must be set to YES.
2. Welcome to the world of HMDI. To mitigate these HDMI handshake issues, try powering on in this order ... TV, wait a few seconds, AVR, wait a few seconds, source.

JDS-

Thanks so much! I'm going to try those settings tonight.

As for #2, I have a Logitech Harmony One remote. I used to have the Marantz version of the grey-scale Philips Pronto remote and I could program the order of steps and delays between each. I'll have to see if the Harmony can do that.

Again, thanks and Happy New Year!
post #185 of 937 Old 01-05-2013, 06:01 PM

Hopefully this is the right thread for these questions!

I'm looking at creating a home theater set up that's not too intense and was looking at pairing the Marantz SR5007 with an Oppo BD103 as my bluray player. I was wondering if its possible (since I gather the Oppo has better video processing) to bypass the video processing of the Marantz unit so that I can keep only one HDMI cable going into the TV (i.e. from the receiver where all my other sources plug in). I know the Oppo can split audio and video - I'm trying to minimize cable clutter and the need to switch inputs on my TV to watch a movie.

The other question I had is whether I should wait to decide on speakers before deciding on the receiver. I don't plan on having more than a 5.1 setup and likely only a 2.1 to start until I have more space. I was thinking of looking at some Paradigm Studio speakers (not sure if 60 or 100) or Deftech's Mythos STS full towers. Not sure if someone has a better suggestion or not.
post #186 of 937 Old 01-06-2013, 12:00 AM

Liked: 11
Well, with some help from some of you on this thread, I think I have pretty much everything setup and working on my new SR-5007. Got it working well with my Logitech Harmony One remote control ( I would be lost without my remote)...but it sure does add some complexity to getting everything setup and working.....however it makes it so nice to have buttons for 1) watch TV 2), Watch BR/DVD surround sound 3). Watch TV surround sound, 4). Listen to CD's...5). Play Xbox360 on TV 6). Play Xbox360 surround sound.....and one button press turns everything on and sets it all to the correct inputs. And only 1 remote control needed.

Very impressed with the sound quality and surround sound experience. In looking at my receipt for my older Harman Kardon unit...it was purchased in Sept of 2005....so it was over 7 years old....so certainly due for a replacement. My rear channels have never produced so much sound before and my subwoofer is far more active than it ever was before. I always though my sub under-performed....but now it's working as I would expect. Actually have set the volume on the sub to around 40-50% rather than 60-70% from where it was before.

I got the Marantz Remote App working on my Asus Tablet. Makes it nice to be able to do things without having the TV on...like FM tuning or Internet radio. Obviously with the small porthole display, you cannot do a whole lot directly on the unit itself.

I was a bit concerned about heat on this unit. The display unit at Best Buy was always very hot to the touch, while the 7007 was never hot. My 5007 is right in line with where my Harman Kardon was. When in standby, it's room temp. Nothing alarming at all when it's on and we are watching a movie.

I like the fact that I can limit the volume output. I have small kids (5 and 8) and they sometimes get a little crazy. With the volume limiter, I know they cannot do any damage to my equipment.

My only complaints thus far would be:
1). the connecting posts could have been a bit nicer. Those clear plastic screw in jobs are a bit on the cheap side....but they are in the back and never seen...so no big deal.
2). It would have been nice to have a light or otherwise to indicate that it's decoding multichannel properly. But hey..I went with the Marantz because I loved the minamalistic look...so I knew this going into it.

Having a full set of 7.2 pre-outs is nice, but likely nothing I will ever use. I bought the Marantz almost solely based on aesthetic reasons. And my wife really liked the way it looked and didn't give me any hassels when I said I wanted to buy it. smile.gif
post #187 of 937 Old 01-06-2013, 02:26 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by snailmehta View Post

Hopefully this is the right thread for these questions!
I'm looking at creating a home theater set up that's not too intense and was looking at pairing the Marantz SR5007 with an Oppo BD103 as my bluray player. I was wondering if its possible (since I gather the Oppo has better video processing) to bypass the video processing of the Marantz unit so that I can keep only one HDMI cable going into the TV (i.e. from the receiver where all my other sources plug in). I know the Oppo can split audio and video - I'm trying to minimize cable clutter and the need to switch inputs on my TV to watch a movie.
The other question I had is whether I should wait to decide on speakers before deciding on the receiver. I don't plan on having more than a 5.1 setup and likely only a 2.1 to start until I have more space. I was thinking of looking at some Paradigm Studio speakers (not sure if 60 or 100) or Deftech's Mythos STS full towers. Not sure if someone has a better suggestion or not.

The video processing on the AVR can be set to OFF such that the video simply passes through to the TV. Ideally it's a good idea to get the speakers first and then the AVR, although as the 5007 has a set of pre-outs, if you need more power (eg. 4-ohm speakers), you can always add an external amp, otherwise, the Paradigm 60 and 100 speakers would be fairly easy to drive with the 5007 as they are 8-ohm 90db+ speakers.
MacCentric likes this.

post #188 of 937 Old 01-06-2013, 07:53 AM

Liked: 16
please help a newbie. I use to pretty up on this AV stuff but its been a while. Im currently using a Marantz SR880 MK11 and a Adcom GFA550 Ms to power the multi room audio throughout my house via a Adcom speaker selector. My monitor is a 50' Pioneer Elite Plasma. Surprisingly 12+ years later everything still works great. Now looking to upgrade to to the lack of the ability to add modern needs(ie apple tv,sirius etc). so I'm thinking my first choice for AV receiver is the Marantz SR5007. When looking at the back of the unit i dont see a place to add my amp for multi room? I see on the specs that it has a multi room feature,what am i missing?. Also im assuming since i will be using HDMI hook up should be easier? Will i still need Coax/digital for audio ? Thanks in advance. Larry
post #189 of 937 Old 01-07-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:

Okay. We'll see you in that thread in a few then. Don't forget to update the firmware first thing.

Is there a particular reason to update this right away?

thanks
post #190 of 937 Old 01-07-2013, 06:16 PM

Does anyone know how hot the SR5007 runs compared to similar AV receivers? Coming from NAD receivers, which have great heat dissipation, I'm worried about the operating temparature of the unit, especially given some of the feedback provided earlier by BeeMan that indicated a very high operating temperature for this Marantz component...
post #191 of 937 Old 01-07-2013, 09:13 PM

Liked: 12
(this probably is my first ever post, so pardon my newness to the board)

I just bought a 5007 based on all the reviews from other sites and the comments on this board. I 'upgraded' form a elite vsx-42. This receiver does behave a little different than the pioneer I was getting used to.

To answer, dmeister, - I have not done any specific calcs on the temp for the receiver, but mine is never too hot to touch, even after having it on for hours at a time. And it's in a space that has about 3in on top for ventilation. The guys at our local audio store stated these can be in close quarter amp racks and be fine.

I do have a few questions for other 5007 owners too-

I have a 5.1 setup, do any of you bi-amp the front speakers or no? I have them bi-amped, likely will go back to normal setting.

For music, I prefer to to listen in stereo (with my sub), but I am not too impressed right now. So, my question is, what settings do you all have for listening to music? Like front speaker size, sub output (LFE or LFE + main), dynamic eq on or off, etc.. I just wonder if I am missing something. I keep hearing how marantz's are supposed to be phenomenal for music, but I.m not feeling it. On the pioneer the sub hit hard and rattle my dishes. On the Marantz, pretty anemic.

Again, I appreciate everyones input on these boards!

I'm running Paradigm Monitor 7's up front. A paradigm ref milennia (?) for the center, 2 mirage satellites for the rear and a mirage ps-8 sub.
post #192 of 937 Old 01-08-2013, 02:54 AM
585-645-1006

After running Audyssey, set the FL/FR speakers to SMALL/80Hz (if not already set to SMALL). In doing so the sub setting of LFE or LFE+Main does not apply so just leave this setting at the default of LFE. Dyn EQ is generally recommended for all sources all the time. For music and cable/sat box sources you may want to set the Dyn EQ Reference Level Offset to 10.

post #193 of 937 Old 01-08-2013, 02:55 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSeaHawk View Post

Is there a particular reason to update this right away?
thanks

A firmware update was recently released to regain access to the Pandora servers fro one. smile.gif

post #194 of 937 Old 01-08-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:

A firmware update was recently released to regain access to the Pandora servers fro one. smile.gif

OK, I came across that discussion. I will put firmware update on my list to-do but I'll have to get it on the network first, which will probably lead me to make the sr5007 access my iTunes collection before getting into lossy streaming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrspin11 View Post

For music, I prefer to to listen in stereo (with my sub), but I am not too impressed right now. So, my question is, what settings do you all have for listening to music? Like front speaker size, sub output (LFE or LFE + main), dynamic eq on or off, etc.. I just wonder if I am missing something. I keep hearing how marantz's are supposed to be phenomenal for music, but I.m not feeling it. On the pioneer the sub hit hard and rattle my dishes. On the Marantz, pretty anemic.
Again, I appreciate everyones input on these boards!
I'm running Paradigm Monitor 7's up front. A paradigm ref milennia (?) for the center, 2 mirage satellites for the rear and a mirage ps-8 sub.

As a new owner I was feeling the same way about the stereo playback (running Paradigm Titan Monitors and Canton 10 sub) but things are sounding better after some exploration and settings. Select and hold the music button on the remote - this opens a menu with several enhanced stereo listening modes that definitely made the sub wake up. I put on Saint-Saens 3d symphony ("organ") and things started moving. Also played some early Sinatra on MFSL and the receiver has a nice musical sound to it that I'm liking. I have dynamic EQ set to medium or light, and it sounds pretty good so far.
post #195 of 937 Old 01-08-2013, 07:26 AM

jdsmoothie-

Thanks for the reply! I'll play around with the settings. I did have it on LFE and with a stereo output, I wasn't hearing any bass, but when I put it on +Main, the sub was active.

Seahawk-

What setting are you listening to music (stereo, dolby PL, ?), just curious.

Also, I have been reading a ton of posts about bi-amping and bi-wiring, just curious how fellow SR5007 owners are connecting their speakers (on a 5.1 sys).

Thanks!
post #196 of 937 Old 01-08-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrspin11 View Post

What setting are you listening to music (stereo, dolby PL, ?), just curious.

Right now using Dolby PL II, which doesn't seem to roll off the mids as much as DTS Neo:6 music (whatever that is). I had to go to either of these two modes when listening to music to get the sub to engage.

I've only had this AVR for a few days, and it is serving as my first HT setup. I am coming from years of two channel music listening with a Marantz 2275, which has wonderful color and presence with the EQ flat. Very much a contrast with the sr5007 when it is run flat... the notion of having to apply Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume (medium) to get the sound to warm up is a bit odd, but I'm willing to learn a new approach.

BTW, is there a pure mono listening mode on this AVR? how is Dolby PL II handling a mono recording like Sinatra's 'Songs for Swingin' Lovers' on MSFL that I'm enjoying now?
post #197 of 937 Old 01-08-2013, 06:57 PM

Any advice on getting Apple AirPlay to work with the Marantz SR5007? While in iTunes 10, I can click on the AirPlay logo and the Marantz SR5007 does indeed show up, when I click on the receiver for the speakers, nothing happens.

A little about my setup. First, I'm not an iTunes user. I'm using my wife's computer.

I have her laptop on our wireless network (old Linksys WRT54G). Figured it had to do with old router not supporting a standard or something that AirPlay needed. So, I connected the laptop with a wired LAN connection directly to the switch that my receiver is plugged into and it was exactly the same. I can see the Marantz listed, but cannot select it.

Does the receiver have to be on a specific input for this to work? I do have the IP control set to always on.

Edit: NEVERMIND. Upgrading iTunes to 11.01 and rebooting her PC fixed the problem. It also works just fine over our wireless network as well without issue.
post #198 of 937 Old 01-08-2013, 08:12 PM

My Polk speakers are bi-wired. I honestly don't think it makes a lick of difference, but years ago I had plenty of cable and the speakers supported it so I did it. I've just left it as is.
MacCentric likes this.
post #199 of 937 Old 01-09-2013, 06:37 AM

Recently received my SR5007 (replacing a Denon 2807) and I am happy to report this receiver is actually smaller depth-wise than my Denon so it fits in my cabinet where I can close the doors - that was an unexpected surprise. Anyway, hooked up the Oppo and VT50, went through the Audyessey set-up (very easy) and I could not be happier. I run the Oppo through the Marantz and the first thing I noticed was that the picture quality improved dramatically vs the antiquated Denon. Sound is rich, clear and concise. Overall very pleased.
post #200 of 937 Old 01-10-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmeister View Post

Does anyone know how hot the SR5007 runs compared to similar AV receivers? Coming from NAD receivers, which have great heat dissipation, I'm worried about the operating temparature of the unit, especially given some of the feedback provided earlier by BeeMan that indicated a very high operating temperature for this Marantz component...

I was quite concerned about this as well. When I looked at the 5007 in the Magnolia room at Best Buy...they also had a 6007...(but that was a bit more than I wanted to spend). It seemed like the 5007 was always quite warm to the touch (on the top) when I went to the store. Sometimes the receiver was on, sometimes it was standby...but it never seemed to really be doing anything. The 6007 on the other hand was always cool. I asked the guy at the store about it and he said it was just normal to warm up when used and the space was tight in the cabinet preventing the heat from escaping.

I ended up buying a SR5007 from another location and I can report that from a heat standpoint I have no problems with my unit. It does not get noticeably warmer to the touch than my much older Sony (STR-845) or my Harmon Kardon (AVR-345) that I just replaced. When the SR5007 is in standby, it doesn't stay warm at all and since it's winter and my house is only around 68F, it's cool to the touch.
post #201 of 937 Old 01-11-2013, 10:06 AM

Is there any music/audio listening mode setting that is true mono on the sr5007?
post #202 of 937 Old 01-11-2013, 12:10 PM

Hello folks,

first post here, so please be patient. I am not new to Hi-Fi and A/V, but I am new to Marantz. I am looking at the SR-5007 (or maybe even at the SR-6007) to replace my old NAD T-752, which after several years of honored service, eventually bit the dust. I could have it repaired, but it would cost me a few hundreds and by today standard it would still be an "old" AVR.

At any rate, just like dmeister, coming from a positive experience with NAD (sound-wise, it failed two times in eight years...) I do not know really what to expect from a Marantz AVR. I do not have a sub and my system has 6 Ohm front speakers with 85-86dB sensitivity. I loved how the NAD drove them, great bass, big dynamic, very balanced sound overall.

Any current SR-5007 owner out there whom has owned or still has a NAD AVR that could give me an opinion on how the two "experiences" compare? Although I would use the SR-5007 for both music and movies/TV, I am much more interested in how the SR-5007 performs in stereo with music. I have a 5.0 setup, therefore I plan to use the extra two channels to bi-amp the front L/R, which would already improve the dynamic capability and increase headroom.

Any opinion, especially coming from direct experience with both the Marantz and NAD AVR's "sound" will be greatly appreciated.
post #203 of 937 Old 01-11-2013, 04:46 PM
585-645-1006

Don't expect any real bump in either headroom or other dynamic capability using "passive" bi-amping on the 5007. If you feel the speakers need more power, pick up an external amp (eg. Emotiva XPA-2).
MacCentric likes this.

post #204 of 937 Old 01-11-2013, 05:40 PM

Hi, I'm new here and I have no clue what I'm doing. I purchased a Marantz SR5007 from Amazon and it just came in today. So I connect it to the TV and internet and start the following process:

1. Setup
2. General
3. Check for Update

It checks and informs me that there is an update and it will take approximately 30 minutes. Well it's been an hour and all i see is:

TV
Please wait...
Authenticating

Marantz unit's circle
Please wait...

So how long am I supposed wait?

I'm afraid that if I upset the update I'll mess up the firmware and I'll have a dead box.

Any ideas?

[I'm OK]
I went back in and setup the network with dhcp 'on'.

the Display is now showing:
Main
28 min
62%

Thanks,

Ken
post #205 of 937 Old 01-11-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:

Don't expect any real bump in either headroom or other dynamic capability using "passive" bi-amping on the 5007. If you feel the speakers need more power, pick up an external amp (eg. Emotiva XPA-2).

Yes, I know, because to do it right I should use an electronic crossover at line level and with that feed external amps. However, just from a electrical point of view, if the power supply of the receiver can keep up with 7 channels at a certain max power, if I am using only four of them to bi-amp just my front speakers, should not that give me some more headroom, since three channels are not used at all?

I can see how the gain would not be much (or none at all) bi-amping the front speakers in a full 5.0 configuration with all seven channel active, but to listen to stereo music I do not need that and when I would be using the receiver for movies I'll do just fine with whatever power I can get with all 7 channel active, bi-amping or not.

Am I missing something else? I have been reading for a while before joining the forum and you sure are one of those not just dispensing opinions. From what I have seen in your postings, I'd say I got the impression that you know what you are talking about biggrin.gif
post #206 of 937 Old 01-12-2013, 02:40 AM
585-645-1006

Here's the thing ... the power supply cannot keep up with the additional speakers and the overall power will be reduced as more amps are used. For example, see the benchmark test on the 7007 below ...

Marantz SR7007 (125W/7CH) – 2 CH @ 124W; 5 CH @ 89W; 7 CH @ 70W @ 0.1% THD

post #207 of 937 Old 01-12-2013, 06:21 PM

Do the differences between the 5007 and 6007 warrant the $350+ difference in price?
10 watts per channel more and a few added features, cannot imagine sq and vq are much different between them.
post #208 of 937 Old 01-12-2013, 06:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:

Here's the thing ... the power supply cannot keep up with the additional speakers and the overall power will be reduced as more amps are used. For example, see the benchmark test on the 7007 below ...

Marantz SR7007 (125W/7CH) – 2 CH @ 124W; 5 CH @ 89W; 7 CH @ 70W @ 0.1% THD

The flaw in the argument above (and no, I'm not going to search through 3 threads to see the actual benchmark test) is that the above numbers were no doubt obtained by means of a test bench playing steady test tones into resistive loads. While a standard way to test amps, testing with pure tones and resistors puts far more stress on the AVR's power supply than real world listening with music and amplifiers.

Another thing is that if you took it at face value, the actual SPL difference between 125 wpc and 70 wpc is only 2.5 dB which is somewhat noticeable, but hardly anything that it would be worth the trouble to swap receivers to get. It would take a 10 dB difference (700 watts) to create the perception of "twice as loud".

Finally, any power difference is only audible if your system actually needs more than 70 wpc, which is often not the case and speculative in this case.

I'm not waste much time with the odds that all 7 channels were being asked to deliver full power at the same time in a real world application.
MacCentric likes this.
post #209 of 937 Old 01-12-2013, 10:25 PM

So, what is the conclusion regarding bi-wiring these receivers- yay or nay?

Also, does anyone set their input source level above or below 0 db? I have a ps3 and directv and am considering raising the level. My silly reason being, is for 100w, this doesnt seem to have a lot of low end oomph.

I am sure my thinking is flawed, so I am hoping someone can explain to my why i need to crank this up to get to the volume that is audible.

Thanks!
post #210 of 937 Old 01-12-2013, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Conclusion: Nay
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5007 Home Theater Av Receiver
Gear in this thread