AVS Forum banner

Marantz SR5007 Owner's Thread

216K views 1K replies 205 participants last post by  frankusb 
#1 ·
I am looking to upgrade my receiver from my 5-year-old Onkyo. I was looking at the Denon models, specifically the AVR-2113CI, but the reviews for that one are a little too inconsistent. Then I came across the SR5007 in a Magnolia store. I don't have a 7.1 setup, nor have the need for the preamp outputs, but I figure it's good future proofing. I will be connecting the receiver to some Sierra-1 mains, SuperZero 2.0 surrounds, and a cylinder SVS subwoofer.

There are surprisingly few reviews of this model to be found on the web, but the ones I have found seem to be very positive. How is this receiver regarded around here? How would it compare with the 2113CI? Is the Marantz worth the $150 extra I would pay over the Denon?

#2 ·
The 5007 offers a few more features than the 2113CI to include: main zone pre-outs, EXT IN, and control of a Zone 2 external amp via the 5007 remote (rather than doing so on the external amp). If you don't require any of these features, the 2113CI should serve you just as well as they both use the same version of Audyssey MultEQ XT. If you forsee a possible need of main zone pre-outs, you can likely get last year's Denon 3312CI on clearance for roughly the same price.

#3 ·
In the simple, I've had a SR5007 for about two months and haven't a single complaint.

The main feature I found in the SR5007 was a delivered price of $750.00, a full set of pre-outs so as to upgrade to an outboard Amp should I find reason to do so in the future, a good looking front face plate (it was sexy) and it came with all the standard whistles and bells one looks for in a contemporary AVR. In the end, being a Denon/Marantz fanboy, having owned both, I chose the Marantz unit over the Denon unit as doing so makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside and in the end, I encourage everybody to buy the unit that makes them feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

After the room acoustics were dialed in with Audyssey, MultEQ XT, using unchanged settings, I would characterize the sound quality as clean and what one one would consider neutral. Our SR5007 supplies a 5.2 setup and we're easily able to drive the sound level up to THX reference standards based on a real world, main speaker sensitivity of 86dB, 1w/4m; not a typo.

I haven't found any lab specs on the SR5007 but in checking out specs on other Marantz SR series receivers, if one were to rate the SR5007 for power, rating the receiver at 89w, five channels driven, 1.0% THD, would be a fair rating. With our 5.2 speaker set, using a digital, RadioShack sound meter, we're easily able to reach reference levels of 85-95db, when measuring conversation and normal action scenes. If driving 7.2 channels, one would have trouble reaching reference levels as I would rate the SR5007 at approximately 67w, all seven channels driven, 1% THD.

I haven't done SPL measurements during peak sound levels but considering how easily it reached 85-95dB, I've no doubt, based on past tests done, this receiver can drive the SPL to peak THX SPL requirements of 105dB for our somewhat open room conditions (15X22X12 foot cathedral ceiling); five speaker channels driven.

Our pair of subs are not capable of reaching THX requirements of 115dB. They are capable of 107dB or ~8dB shy of a full subwoofer, THX, reference level, SPL load. That's not the fault of the SR5007.

My recommendation, if not wanting an outboard Amp and wanting to drive seven channels, I'd go with the SR7007 but it would be a bit cheaper and you'd have more headroom by going with a SR5007 and an outboard Amp such as an Emotiva, XPA-5, outboard Amp.

Since buying the SR5007, we have upgraded our center channel to a Klipsch, RC64 II center channel and when we have the money in the budget, we will upgrade our existing pair of subs; more than likely, to a pair of SVS PB12-NSD subs. I fully, if just for ego's sake, expect to add an Emotiva, XPA-5 outboard Amp to assure plenty of amplifier headroom for peak action segment soundtracks. If one were to ask why, In my opinion, replicating the THX, movie theater experience in the home is the sole reason to have a home theater system; stated purpose, stated goal. And yes, I understand that not everybody wants this as a goal and where they live may prevent them from obtaining this goal. Getting kicked out on the street for an ideal is not always a good thing.

Over all, after reading what others have had to say about other AVR's, including the SR6007 and the SR7007, none of the receivers have once turned my head with a sigh of buyer's remorse. In summation, I would say that the SR5007 is a solid buy and if one has their eye on the future, do so with an Emotiva, XPA-5, 5-channel, 200w, outboard Amp in mind.

After two months of use for television programming and cable provided movie content, I have zero negative comments. We haven't run a Blu-ray disk through the AVR yet so I can't comment on a true HD movie audio experience.

Here's a HomeTheater review of the Marantz, SR7007. Draw your own, SR5007, conclusions.

Hope the above helps and if any specific questions, no guarantees, I'll be happy to try and answer them for you.

-

#4 ·
I appreciate that very insightful post, BeeMan, thanks. The main reason that I am upgrading my receiver now is because I am going to have my audio system calibrated for the first time (umr is doing it) and I don't know how much longer my Onkyo receiver will live. The only thing I'm not sure I like is the small little display that the Marantz has. Does the audio format that is being fed into the receiver display on that? I may end up going for it, so long as I can secure the sub-$800 price I saw it for. This Marantz is a bit more expensive that what I wanted to spend on a receiver (I was trying to keep it in the $650 range), but I suppose a little bit extra for quality and reliability should be worth it. I was all set on that Denon 2113CI, but the reviews (on Amazon.com, for instance) are just all over the place. While there isn't as much information out there on the 5007 at least the reviews that are available lean towards the positive.

#5 ·
As to the small display, it's a pain to see at the main listening position but once the movie starts and you set your volume and watch the show. It really doesn't matter. The display information is very basic. You can see what I/O you're switched to, the CODEC being used and the volume level. The remote is a basic remote with the normal compliment of buttons to push. Nothing that I would consider to be a standout.

We just finished watching a cable company provided movie and I feel we would be hard pressed to have better. Yes, we could have more expensive but I don't see more expensive as being more better.

Above you have my mini-review of the SR5007 and there's not much more I can add other then yes, the little display is a pain to read. Setup was a snap. The setup was intuitive and if you've played with this stuff before, setup was straight forward with no complications so I haven't a bad thing to say in the con column and nothing but good to post in the pro column. If I had to place something in the Con column, it would be that the internet connection is a hard wired Ethernet connection as opposed to a wireless connection so you might need a long cable to hook the receiver up to your router for any updates. I have an extra long Ethernet cable but haven't hooked it up and downloaded any updates. Why? No need to as everything is working just dandy.

Overall, I'm sure you'll be as happy with the SR5007 as we are.

-

#6 ·
As is often the case regarding Amazon reviews, aside from having received a defective product, other negative reviews are often the result of the buyer not knowing how to properly setup or use the AVR (which is the case in at least 2 of the negative 2113 reviews). Also note that the 2113 can be had for much less by ordering from Electronics Expo (esp by ordering the 2112CI on Amazon and having EE replace it with a 2113CI for the same price due to the 2112CI no longer being in inventory).

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1432327/any-owners-of-the-marantz-sr5007-here#post_22463732

Also note that the 2113 can be had for much less by ordering from Electronics Expo (esp by ordering the 2112CI on Amazon and having EE replace it with a 2113CI for the same price due to the 2112CI no longer being in inventory).

So you're saying if I were to purchase the 2112CI on Amazon from Electronics Expo, that they would just upgrade me to a 2113CI for the same price?

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzin  /t/1432327/any-owners-of-the-marantz-sr5007-here#post_22468385

Oh, and Beeman, have you ever noticed the 5007 having a tendency to overheat? I put my hand on top of the receiver the other day when I saw it in store, and it seemed to be warmer to the touch compared to other receivers.

In the short time we've had the unit, I've never noted a heat problem. At the time the SR5007 was installed, I added additional ventilation holes in the back of the enclosed entertainment credenza. Three, inch and a half holes were added at the top of the back and at shelf level, three additional, inch and a half ventilation holes were added at the back, next to the bottom of the shelf level: six additional inch and a half ventilation holes being added to aid convection current ventilation.

We expect to watch a movie tonight and at the end of the movie, which expectedly, we'll be running at about -10dB to 0dB, I'll check to see how I'd characterize the heat built up after being used at high SPL levels for about an hour and a half.

In the spirit of accuracy of information, I have at my disposal a lab grade, IR thermometer adjusted for the IR emissive nature of steel. To better answer your question, I'm currently running temperature tests. For a reference standard, at the top of the AVR metal case, I just took an initial reading of 77.2F; a center flat metal strip. Unit had been turned off (plugged in and in stand-by mode) and was just powered on. I will leave the unit turned on and take a reading in approximately (or when I remember) one hour to allow the temperature of the top of the case to stabilized, no content being sent to the unit for amplification, volume turned to it's lowest setting; "---". It's currently 11:07 A.M, PST. Later, as described, at the end of the movie, I'll take a third reading of the same point on the top of the case and we should have a more accurate (lab style) answer to your question. And I wouldn't write home regarding my lab techniques.

-

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzin  /t/1432327/any-owners-of-the-marantz-sr5007-here#post_22468914

Thanks for the scientific accuracy with my question, BeeMan.
Wow, so after an hour of just sitting idly, the temperature rose 40 degrees F? Is that right? Seems like a lot.

It was sitting in the off position so the quick rise was due to the unit being taken out of stand-by mode and powered up. I just took another reading and the temperature is 128.2F. Sitting in the enclosed shelving space, in the powered on position, the top of the unit has risen an additional 12.0F The glass door to the shelves was closed so all the wood and the unit have had a chance to heat up and for the heat to evenly dispurse. The only ventilation for the unit are the holes that I drilled into the back of the unit. The unit was turned on at 10:30 hrs, it is now 13:32 hrs; ~3hrs. After taking the unit top temperature, I left the glass door to the credenza open to see how the additional ventilation affects the unit top temperature.

In about an additional hour, sufficient time for the unit top temperature to stabilize to the additional ventilation air flow, I'll take another reading of both the top and bottom of the unit case.

FYI, in the user manual, Marantz requires 12" of ventilation space on the top, back and sides. At a typical few inches in a normal entertainment credenza, I fall far short of this requirement.

It's now 15:05 hrs and the temperature of the bottom of the case was 94.2F and the top of the case was 123.0F.

In the two months or so it's been hooked up to a 5.2 system, when viewing movies at THX reference levels of a measured 85dB to 95dB, using a RadioShack, digital sound meter, we've never experienced a thermal shut down. The point, I don't see these temperatures readings to be a problem. Assuming, right or wrong that my measurements are representative, I can see why Marantz has the 12" ventilation space requirement; it's a hot running unit. Hope the above helps give you an accurate insight as to how hot this unit runs.

-

#15 ·
Would you say it runs any hotter than previous receivers you've owned? I'm coming from an Onkyo 605, which feel a bit warm at times, though it has never actually shut down from heat overload. I actually almost never turn my receiver "off." I leave it on most of the time. As far as ventilation, I have my receiver in a spot where there is nothing blocking it from the front, sides, or back. There is a shelf that sits on top of it, and the clearance is definitely not 12 inches, but I can't do much about that.

Oh, and I meant to ask: a few posts up, you say that you watch movies between -10dB and 0dB; is the volume on the 5007 displayed negatively like that, counting up to the "0" reference level? When I was playing around with it in store, the volume seemed to read only in the positive range. Can you adjust this within the receiver's settings?

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzin  /t/1432327/any-owners-of-the-marantz-sr5007-here#post_22469384

Would you say it runs any hotter than previous receivers you've owned? I'm coming from an Onkyo 605, which feel a bit warm at times, though it has never actually shut down from heat overload. I actually almost never turn my receiver "off." I leave it on most of the time. As far as ventilation, I have my receiver in a spot where there is nothing blocking it from the front, sides, or back. There is a shelf that sits on top of it, and the clearance is definitely not 12 inches, but I can't do much about that.

Good question as I've never taken the time to do an official like I just completed. The last Marantz receiver, a SR600x (not sure which model) ran warm in a similar enclosed space and I simply opened the door and never found need to worry about a thermal shutdown.

Quote:
Oh, and I meant to ask: a few posts up, you say that you watch movies between -10dB and 0dB; is the volume on the 5007 displayed negatively like that, counting up to the "0" reference level? When I was playing around with it in store, the volume seemed to read only in the positive range. Can you adjust this within the receiver's settings?

You can set different display formats.

0-98.

or

-79.5 to +18dB.

When folks here post, they use the -79.5 to +18dB standard. When one sets the volume to 0dB, my understanding, you're now at THX reference level standard. Again, my understanding, Audyssey dials the amplifier gain up or down so as to maintain the integrity of this standard. Our system is dialed down so we have a bunch of headroom which, my understanding equals to lower THD; distortion. I cannot guarantee the veracity of my comments as at this point, right or wrong, I'm sharing my understanding. Either which way, I have the volume format set to the -79.5 - +18dB standard, we see that the SR5007 runs hot and movies are played at theater like levels when I can get away with it.

So far, I don't see a need to add an outboard Amp but after a few household repairs and medical bills are paid, our plan is to add an Emotiva XPA-3 or XPA-5, just to say we have one and of course, to make sure any amplifier pressure is taken off the AVR's Amp.

-

#20 ·
I am demoing a sr5006 and sr5007. For some reason the sr5006 seems to sound more neutral and natural. I'm getting better lower end response with a more natural sound range from low thru high frequencies. I thought i would get the same sound from sr5007 with future proof but for some reason the tonality is all off. The sr5007 that i have sounds skewed towards high frequencies. It seems a bit more dynamic, clear highs, but almost seems to the point of being excessive. When watching movies the center channel is almost piercing. I have tried to make adjustments but the clear, sharp, highs and strong dynamics seems excessive in movie mode. Has anyone else run into this problem with their sr50007. Did marantz change the surround processor, amp, dac? I looked inside and seems they changed capacitors from 12000 uf to 10000 uf in sr5007? would this make the difference in sound though? I also noticed the sr5007 chasis is more shallow and 3 lbs lighter according to the website spec.

Fyi for those who are wondering i did demo at the big box store the pioneer elites, denon, and yamaha in the same price range. The marantz i felt was more neutral sounding and had better clarity(cymbals, guitars, voices). The others ones sounded more colored to me but i guess it depends on how you wish to match the sound to your setup.

Has anyone compared the sound of a sr5006 or sr5007 to a sr6006 or sr7007? Does the DSX make a substancial difference? Does this sr5006 have the hdam? Is it me or does the sr5006 sound better than sr5007? I may also consider looking at an anthem mrx but i think i can be happy withe sr5006's sound. Anyone compared marantz sr to the anthem mrx line in terms of sound?

Snell 4c, Velodyne spl12, nht surrounds, jbl center(will upgrade soon), adcom amp(fronts).

#21 ·
So, after finally getting around to connecting my new receiver, I'm noticing that the black levels on my set (Kuro) are all off now. Too gray. Is there a setting that can be turned off to fix this? I had my tv professionally calibrated a few years back. Do I really have to get it re-calibrated now just because I bought a new receiver?

#22 ·
Created an account today specifically because I saw this thread. Congrats to another SR5007 owner. Deliberated between the Pioneer Elite in the local store and the Marantz in the same price range. It might not be the best measure but I chose the Marantz because I liked the style. The only real option I was looking for in shopping around was full pre-amp outputs for future amplifier upgrading.

Current setup:

LG 32LE5400 (needs to be bigger)

Marantz SR5007

Xbox

Klipsch WF-35 expresso

Klipsch WC-24 expreso

Yamaha NS-A780 black pair ($5 at thrift store)

KLH S120ETH ($1.50 at thrift store)

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzin  /t/1432327/any-owners-of-the-marantz-sr5007-here/0_100#post_22478636

So, after finally getting around to connecting my new receiver, I'm noticing that the black levels on my set (Kuro) are all off now. Too gray. Is there a setting that can be turned off to fix this? I had my tv professionally calibrated a few years back. Do I really have to get it re-calibrated now just because I bought a new receiver?

The "Brightness" level can be adjusted under the "Picture Adjust" settings (p. 112 OM).

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1432327/any-owners-of-the-marantz-sr5007-here#post_22478946

The "Brightness" level can be adjusted under the "Picture Adjust" settings (p. 112 OM).
All of the picture settings are currently at zero. It's the weirdest thing though, because now the picture looks normal again. Blacks are looking good and color looks accurate again. Maybe it was still adjusting or something, since I had just turned it on for the first time. I was also getting some video stuttering for a minute, when I switched over from the Blu-ray to the cable HDMI source, but after updating the firmware, it seems to be fine now. So kind of a shaky start with this receiver for me. I'll see how it goes for this next week before making any ultimate decisions.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1432327/any-owners-of-the-marantz-sr5007-here#post_22479545

Great! You may want to consider changing the title of this thread into an Owner's thread ...
Done.

Is there any way to change what is displayed on this receivers's porthole display? Like right now, what is displayed is the source and the volume level. On my Onkyo, I had it set so that the audio format was what was always displaying. Hitting the status button on the front panel seems to change this, but once you adjust the volume, it goes right back to displaying the source and volume again. Is there any way to make that change permanent?