Denon AVR-3300 Won't lock-in DD/DTS signal - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 10-04-2012, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have had this receiver since 1999, so it has served me well. Although it does not have the latest decoding, connections, and switching, I bet that its sound quality matches most current receivers in its category.....My blueray has analog outputs for Dolby/DTS true HD, so that DD for satellite and other sources works just fine. I mean, if I could still squeeze some use out of it I will....

The problem is that it appears that whenever I attempt to use a digital connection, optical or coax, the receiver won't produce any sound. Watching closely, the "lock" red pilot light on the display does not light up. I connected thru the analog input, and sometimes it won't work for a while. Upon keeping trying I get it to work, mostly.

I changed the optical cables to discard this was the problem. I also "reseted" the receiver processor following the instructions on the manual, w/o success.

I wonder if anyone has experienced this problem and if there is a fix, short of sending it for repair, which I won't do..

At this moment I am thinking of an upgrade, but if I can defer it further, I will...

Thanks for your help.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-04-2012, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariokrt64 View Post

I have had this receiver since 1999, so it has served me well. Although it does not have the latest decoding, connections, and switching, I bet that its sound quality matches most current receivers in its category.....My blueray has analog outputs for Dolby/DTS true HD, so that DD for satellite and other sources works just fine. I mean, if I could still squeeze some use out of it I will....
The problem is that it appears that whenever I attempt to use a digital connection, optical or coax, the receiver won't produce any sound. Watching closely, the "lock" red pilot light on the display does not light up. I connected thru the analog input, and sometimes it won't work for a while. Upon keeping trying I get it to work, mostly.
I changed the optical cables to discard this was the problem. I also "reseted" the receiver processor following the instructions on the manual, w/o success.
I wonder if anyone has experienced this problem and if there is a fix, short of sending it for repair, which I won't do..
At this moment I am thinking of an upgrade, but if I can defer it further, I will...

The 3300 was a fine box in it's day, but with the introduction of modern DSP, particularly Room EQ, it won't sound as good as current receivers. Given it's 13 years of good service, if price isn't a barrier, I'd recommend investing in replacement rather than repair.

This actually came up in an earlier thread a few months back. I put my old 3300 back into service to compare it to my current AVR, a Denon A-100 (anniversary version of the 4311. In Pure Direct mode, subjectively, I couldn't tell the difference. Once Audyssey XT32 was engaged on the A-100, subjectively and via objective measurements, the newer receiver performed markedly better in my room. I don't buy into many things touted in this hobby as having the "night and day" level differences some describe, but Room EQ is one where I do.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-04-2012, 11:37 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 1510
+1

Other former 3300 owners have posted noticing an improvement in audio fidelity with even the lower level model 1911 and 1912 both of which use only Audyssey MultEQ.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 13 Old 10-04-2012, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thks guy for you feedback so far.....Is anybody out there with a similar problem with this receiver?
post #5 of 13 Old 10-04-2012, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

I used to have the 3300. Great unit. My son has it now and it's still going strong. I replaced it with the 3808.

My only thoughts would be to check to see if it's in the auto mode. Also, check the setup menu and see if the inputs are assigned properly. If you reset the unit then those may be lost. And there are some audio mode switches to the left of the volume control. I used to hit one of those every once in a while and mess things up.

I tend to agree with the other guys. The newer receivers are better. The auto setup and Audyssey really makes a big difference, plus the HD audio decoding. I think the 3313 is the most current version of the 3300 level of receiver.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-04-2012, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post

I used to have the 3300. Great unit. My son has it now and it's still going strong. I replaced it with the 3808.
My only thoughts would be to check to see if it's in the auto mode. Also, check the setup menu and see if the inputs are assigned properly. If you reset the unit then those may be lost. And there are some audio mode switches to the left of the volume control. I used to hit one of those every once in a while and mess things up.
I tend to agree with the other guys. The newer receivers are better. The auto setup and Audyssey really makes a big difference, plus the HD audio decoding. I think the 3313 is the most current version of the 3300 level of receiver.

I had already checked those items but did not fixed the problem. It appears to be something internal to the receiver. It even happens thru the analog inputs as well, though after a while it works...not the same luck with the digital inputs....

I have been looking for a new receiver, and presently considering;

Onkyo TX-NR1009/809
Marantz SR6006/7005
YAMAHA RX-A2010
Denon AVR-3312CI

I am looking into previous year models to save some cash, in some cases substantial savings vs. the equivalent current model. I like the Onkyo, but have read about reliability issues with these mfgr.

Appreciatted comments from the Forum on these models...

Although I own a Denon and pretty happy with it, I would like to keep the analog input capability that the listed one does not have...For some reason they took it out but I found that feature useful. It allowed me to keep using my old receiver with Blue Ray Dolby/DTS True HD by using the Panasonic DMP-BD80 audio analog outputs into the Denon external analog input jacks..

Thanks for your feedback...appreciatted..
post #7 of 13 Old 10-05-2012, 04:40 AM
585-645-1006

Rather than the 3312CI (which as you noted doesn't include the EXT IN jacks), you may want to also consider the Denon 4311CI (as bfreedma suggested) which not only upgrades to the most advanced version of Audyssey MultEQ XT32 but also has the EXT IN jacks you desire and is on clearance to make way for it's successor, the new 4520CI. Give AVS sales and Electronics Expo a "call" for their best price.

"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

post #8 of 13 Old 10-05-2012, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Chances are, the DSP board is bad. Common problem as these Denon's get old. I had a 4802 that had developed that problem. I also had a 3300 for a long time, but sold it a year ago. It was still working fine when I sold it. I still have a 3802 that I use in a simple 2.1 setup. They are fine sounding, long lasting receivers, but eventually, they all have some problems. The DSP board is probably either unobtanium, or costs more than the receiver is worth. It might still be worth using in an analog system, but that's about it. If you want multichannel setup with bitstream decoding, there are so many better choices today.

If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
post #9 of 13 Old 10-05-2012, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Agree that to replace the DSP board would not be cost effective....The analog is kind of working, but no DD/DTS...sometimes the analog takes a few minutes to work.....I know I have to go the new receiver route....pretty soon. I just got B&W's 703's (used but in great shape) and I am eager to see them performing....

Checked the Denon 4311CI but its about twice the Onkyo TX-NR809 (mid $600's open box) that I am also looking. THe B&W's left me a little short on cash so I am shooting for a receiver between $700-$1,000. I have to say I am happy of what I got from my Denon AVR-3300. I have owned it since 1999, so they appear to make a quality product from my experience. I am somewhat concerned about the Onkyo's quality problems that have been reported. I am not sure if I will be able to get 10+ yrs from the Onkyo, or any of the new receivers crop. but I don't want it to last just a few yrs, either.

Does anyone knows whether the models I am considering (see my first comment on this thread) are made any longer in Japan or are they of Chinnese manufacturing?

Just FYI, I still own a Vintage Sansui G5500 that I purchase in 1979 and still works, though one of channels is threatening to go....I need to play with the balance control to get one of the channels to work....that one is a beauty of a receiver, and very reliable....they used wood on those days that make it look beautifull and pricey. don't think they make them that way any longer....
post #10 of 13 Old 10-05-2012, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Agree that to replace the DSP board would not be cost effective....The analog is kind of working, but no DD/DTS...sometimes the analog takes a few minutes to work.....I know I have to go the new receiver route....pretty soon. I just got B&W's 703's (used but in great shape) and I am eager to see them performing....
Checked the Denon 4311CI but its about twice the Onkyo TX-NR809 (mid $600's open box) that I am also looking. THe B&W's left me a little short on cash so I am shooting for a receiver between $700-$1,000. I have to say I am happy of what I got from my Denon AVR-3300. I have owned it since 1999, so they appear to make a quality product from my experience. I am somewhat concerned about the Onkyo's quality problems that have been reported. I am not sure if I will be able to get 10+ yrs from the Onkyo, or any of the new receivers crop. but I don't want it to last just a few yrs, either.
Does anyone knows whether the models I am considering (see my first comment on this thread) are made any longer in Japan or are they of Chinnese manufacturing?
Just FYI, I still own a Vintage Sansui G5500 that I purchase in 1979 and still works, though one of channels is threatening to go....I need to play with the balance control to get one of the channels to work....that one is a beauty of a receiver, and very reliable....they used wood on those days that make it look beautifull and pricey. don't think they make them that way any longer....

A few of the top Denon's are still made in Japan. Onkyo and Yamaha are all made in Malaysia now. The rest are mostly Chinese made.

Have you seen the refurbished Denon 4310ci at AC4l.com? That fits in your price range, was made in Japan, and has a pretty good reputation, other than a failing network card (which was probably why it was refurbished). I just piked up an open box Yamaha A3010 that was in your price range from Magnolia. If you have one near, check them out. They had some A2010 as well. This is the time of year that new model year receiver come out, so last year's models are all being discounted. Good luck with the search.

If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
post #11 of 13 Old 10-05-2012, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbillw View Post

A few of the top Denon's are still made in Japan. Onkyo and Yamaha are all made in Malaysia now. The rest are mostly Chinese made.
Have you seen the refurbished Denon 4310ci at AC4l.com? That fits in your price range, was made in Japan, and has a pretty good reputation, other than a failing network card (which was probably why it was refurbished). I just piked up an open box Yamaha A3010 that was in your price range from Magnolia. If you have one near, check them out. They had some A2010 as well. This is the time of year that new model year receiver come out, so last year's models are all being discounted. Good luck with the search.

Checked the Denon. The problem is shipping to Puerto Rico is over $200. Also, appears the warranty for a refurb is just one yr. Is this Denon much different from the 4311ci? What are the key differences, if you know?

What do you think about the Onyo TX-NR809? Is a really featured receiver, and although open box comes with a two yr warranty. I can have it shipped free to a relavite in the continental USA and then shipped USPS parcel post to Puerto Rico for about $40 (2-3 weeks delivery).
post #12 of 13 Old 10-05-2012, 08:08 PM
585-645-1006

The 4310CI uses the same version of Audyssey MultEQ XT as does the 3312CI.

"JD" –

post #13 of 13 Old 10-06-2012, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The 4310CI uses the same version of Audyssey MultEQ XT as does the 3312CI.

I see that The 4310CI does not support 3D. I am not a big 3D fan, but just a matter of protectitng against obsolescence.....

I am leaning towards the Onkyo TX-NR809..offers the best bang for the buck....reliability aside, which remains an issue to me....I think I can buy a 2 yr. extended warranty for $89?, I think, from the Onky site and one free yr from Amex, for a total of five years, at $800 total delivered....Looks good to me that five yrs would allow enough protection..

Anyone can comment on the Onkyo? I posted on its forum, but no comments so far....

You guys have been very helpful so far....keep coming...

Thank you very much!!!!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page