Listen to Headphones Connected to AVR, While Still Outputting to AVR Amp? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 10-04-2012, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi - I need to integrate a pair of wireless headphones into an existing 2.0 system, powered by a Denon AVR-1610 receiver. The receiver has surround back/front height pre-outs, but using the headphone jack cuts the amp and pre-outs. I need to be able to use the headphones (which have volume adjustment), while at the same time outputting the source audio to the main floorstanding speakers.

This receiver has two analog outputs - VCR and DVR. Since I only have two sources (cable box and Blu-ray), I could reassign the inputs to VCR and DVR. Then I'd only need to connect these two pairs of outputs on the AVR to an analog switch, and connect the headphones' transmitter to the switch.

Would this work? Any other more efficient ideas? If my suggestions works, any recommendations on a good inexpensive 2-into-1 analog switch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-05-2012, 01:49 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie 1.8 View Post

Hi - I need to integrate a pair of wireless headphones into an existing 2.0 system, powered by a Denon AVR-1610 receiver. The receiver has surround back/front height pre-outs, but using the headphone jack cuts the amp and pre-outs. I need to be able to use the headphones (which have volume adjustment), while at the same time outputting the source audio to the main floorstanding speakers.
This receiver has two analog outputs - VCR and DVR. Since I only have two sources (cable box and Blu-ray), I could reassign the inputs to VCR and DVR. Then I'd only need to connect these two pairs of outputs on the AVR to an analog switch, and connect the headphones' transmitter to the switch.
Would this work? Any other more efficient ideas? If my suggestions works, any recommendations on a good inexpensive 2-into-1 analog switch?

In their usual way Denon's manual for the 1610 is nearly incomprehensible. You might try using the VCR and DVR audio outputs to go directly to the wireless headphone unit. You don't need to reassign anything. The audio at those connections won't have any volume control, but should be a copy of the audio from the device you are watching.

But...and this is a biggie...this model Denon does not "translate" audio from a Blue-Ray player connected via HDMI to the VCR/DVR stereo outputs. Probably (thanks to a vague manual). The logic is like this: Digital audio from the player via HDMI has several multi-channel format possibilities, and they would have to do a downmix to stereo, then an analog conversion to get that to work. Not very likely. If you were watching an analog source, you'd get analog audio out of those connections, and your headphones would work. I'm betting watching a digital source results in no audio out of the VCR/DVR jacks, but I hope I'm wrong.

If your BD player has stereo analog output jacks, that might be useful, and if your cable box has the same, again good. But you'd need to feed both devices into a switcheroo of some kind to conveniently feed them to the phones. The one possible glitch to this is, if they've made the BD player "smart" enough to tell it's got something plugged into those analog jacks, it might kill the digital out, but you'll have to just try it.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-05-2012, 04:21 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1968 Post(s)
Liked: 1746
As there is no HDMI ---> analog conversion, your suggestion of double connecting with both HDMI/analog cables and reassigning the source names to VCR and DVR would work with the VCR/DVR outputs connected to an analog switch. Another option would be to connect the wireless transmitter to the Surr Back pre-outs, set the "S.Back(pre-out)" setting to SMALL with an 80hz crossover, and change the surround mode to "7CH Stereo" (although doing so will disengage Audyssey if you are using it). In this configuration you would be able to play any source (HDMI, digital, analog) so the extra analog cables would not be required.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 13 Old 10-05-2012, 08:01 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

As there is no HDMI ---> analog conversion, your suggestion of double connecting with both HDMI/analog cables and reassigning the source names to VCR and DVR would work with the VCR/DVR outputs connected to an analog switch. Another option would be to connect the wireless transmitter to the Surr Back pre-outs, set the "S.Back(pre-out)" setting to SMALL with an 80hz crossover, and change the surround mode to "7CH Stereo" (although doing so will disengage Audyssey if you are using it). In this configuration you would be able to play any source (HDMI, digital, analog) so the extra analog cables would not be required.

The pre-outs are volume controlled at the AVR. Most people that use headphones and speakers together want independent volume control. There's also processing involved in creating 7 channel stereo, not sure what that might sound like with two of those channels being headphones. Disengaging Audyssey to listen to headphones and still listening to speakers seems kind of counter productive.

There's just no way I can think of to do this that involves the AVR alone.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-05-2012, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, both of you. Seems the way to do this is connect both source components (Blu-ray and cable box) via both HDMI (as they are now) and analog.

I understand that perhaps, with either source being played, both analog outputs (VCR and DVR) would then be hot. So, if the AVR input is BD, then the BD would be ouput via HDMI, and both analog VCR and analog DVR. Does this sound right? Wouldn't need a switch, then. Perhaps it depends upon the model receiver.

I also need to confirm the Blu-ray player will output HDMI and analog concurrently. Per the manual, under "Audio Output Priority", my options are:

HDMI - Outputs audio signals from the HDMI OUT jack.
Coaxial/Optical - Outputs audio signals from the DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL/COAXIAL) jack.
Stereo Analog - Outputs audio signals from the LINE OUT (R-AUDIOL) jacks.

Doesn't seem to be a "priority", but rather a selection. This suggests I can choose only one output, and not more than one output.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-05-2012, 12:42 PM
585-645-1006

AFAIK, each analog output (VCR and DVR) will only be hot if there is a matching analog input.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #7 of 13 Old 10-05-2012, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, that, to me, seems to make more sense. Thus, I'd need a switch. Those are harder and harder to find, though I did find one. Thanks for your help.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-05-2012, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

So I did some testing today. I first tested connecting the headphones to each source’s analog outs, to see if they’d output concurrently with HDMI audio out. They both did. And, both had a complete absence of static/interference.

Then, I connected the cable box’s analog out to the AVR's VCR analog in, and connected the phones to the AVR’s VCR analog out. The phones worked, but with lots of static. Same results with the Blu-ray player.

I didn’t test to see if this model receiver would output analog outs from HDMI in, but I agree, it probably doesn’t, especially since it’s a budget AVR.

So, I’ll connect the two source analog outs to a switch, and connect the switch to the phones. No problem. Tried to find a way to avoid a switch/converter of some kind, but it doesn’t look like I can. Too bad there's so much static when running the analog signal through the receiver.
post #9 of 13 Old 10-05-2012, 09:05 PM
585-645-1006

Actually no AVR will do HDMI--> analog, budget model or higher.

post #10 of 13 Old 10-05-2012, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Any thoughts as to why I experienced static running analog through the AVR?
post #11 of 13 Old 10-05-2012, 09:25 PM
585-645-1006

Possibly the cables. Did you try several sets?

post #12 of 13 Old 10-05-2012, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

No, I used one good set. It is a possibility they had failed. It should have worked. I know the analog out of both sources was good, so it was either the cable I used, or the receiver.

If the Blu-ray is connected via HDMI to input BD, and I connect the Blu-ray analog out to VCR input on the receiver, will the Blu-ray's audio be output to the VCR output only, or both the VCR and DVR outputs?
post #13 of 13 Old 10-06-2012, 06:17 AM
585-645-1006

AFAIK, VCR only.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page