Do most receivers not have built in ATSC tuners? Is there another device I need to output the coax signal to HDMI? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-04-2012, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking at buying the Denon AVR-2312CI receiver. I'd like to plug all my devices into it and output all of the video to my TV using a single HDMI cable that needs to get wired in. From what I can see, this receiver doesn't mention having a built-in tuner, and I'd simply like to get my TV through OTA channels, I don't plan on getting Comcast/Dish TV right now.

So are there simple/cheap digital tuners out there that will convert the HDTV Antenna signal into HDMI out? I think what I'm looking for is an External TV Tuner, but before I spend too much time looking for one I want to make sure this is the right solution. For those of you without leased set top box from a Cable company, what do you use to convert the antenna signal? I also have a HDTV without a built-in tuner so I assume this solution would work for that one as well.

I've been searching for a bit and I don't think I know exactly what I need to be searching for. I'm an extreme lurker of these forums and haven't posted questions for what I haven't been able to figure out myself.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2012, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 1031
How can you have a tv without a tuner? You just have a monitor? I don't think I've ever heard of an AVR with a television tuner, though. What model is your "tv"?

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Old 10-05-2012, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Not all TVs have tuners built in, the one that doesn't is a Westinhouse

I think I might try this one http://www.amazon.com/Kworld-HDmi-External-Digital-Tuner/dp/B002RL8I2W
Old 10-05-2012, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by akevit View Post

Not all TVs have tuners built in, the one that doesn't is a Westinhouse

I think I might try this one http://www.amazon.com/Kworld-HDmi-External-Digital-Tuner/dp/B002RL8I2W

It's not a tv without a tuner....what specific Westinghouse model do you have?

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Old 10-05-2012, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Excuse my phrasing, it's a 37" monitor without a TV tuner.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
As was said its a monitor if it does not have a tuner and you could use a TiVo if you want to pay a subscription which is cheap and allows recording to drive.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

OK I don't want to focus too much on this monitor, my real issue is wanting to plug coax into something that can output via HDMI to my receiver so that I don't need to run coax to my TV and digital out to my receiver. I believe the Tivo requires a monthly subscription to use the built-in tuner, I'm hoping there's something without a subscription.

Whatever solution I find for the above I plan on also using for my other display in a separate room.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by akevit View Post

OK I don't want to focus too much on this monitor, my real issue is wanting to plug coax into something that can output via HDMI to my receiver so that I don't need to run coax to my TV and digital out to my receiver. I believe the Tivo requires a monthly subscription to use the built-in tuner, I'm hoping there's something without a subscription.
Whatever solution I find for the above I plan on also using for my other display in a separate room.
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=cm-7001&d=Channel-Master-CM7001-ATSC%2FQAM-Digital-HD-Antenna-Tuner-CM-7001
Old 10-05-2012, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, this has led me down a rabbit hole of other forums posts, leading me to the PHD-VRX and PHD-8RX devices. This is a bit more complicated than I had thought, but I'm headed in the right direction now.

Thanks.