Advice on a first ever Receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-05-2012, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone! I'm completely new here, so hopefully I am in the right section and you can help me!
I've been shopping for my first home theater system for a few weeks now and feel completely lost regarding audio in general and amps in particular. I thought this would be the right place to ask as there seems to be so many knowledgeable people in here!

So I recently bought a

Samsung Es506100
LG BD630

I am planning on eventually setting up a 5.1 system, but I have to start with a 2.0 or 2.1.
Price isn't really a problem, but space is as only denon up to 1913 or maybe 2113ci, sony str dn1030 and marantz slimline will fit with enough room for venting. In terms of speakers, I have no idea of what can be good or what would be a good price point, hoping to go below 500 for the first speakers, but remain open to suggestions!

We have a living room/kitchen/dining open concept, 30x14 feet. The actual living room is 15 x 14. I have to settle with 2.1 max as there is only 3-4 feet of clearance behind the sofa and it actually is part of the hallway.To make the story short, furniture cannot be rearranger for the time being.

I hope I gave you enough but not too much info! So what are your suggestions? Is there anything else I'm missing?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-05-2012, 04:48 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 718 Post(s)
Liked: 1401
Welcome to AVS Forum! smile.gif

You can compare the new Denon series by reviewing the first few posts in the Denon AVR-XX13 Owner's thread linked in my sig, although the 2113CI is likely the best cost/benefit choice. Give AVS sales and Electronics Expo a "call" for their best price. For speakers, if TV/movies make up most of your listening, you'll want to consider a 3.0 or 3.1 setup as the center speaker will be where the majority of the dialog is directed. You can get good speaker recommendations by posting in the Speakers forum.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 4 Old 10-05-2012, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you! I have been looking at the avr-xx12 and avr-xx13 for a day or two and I wondered if the 2113ci wouldn't be too much for what I m going to do with it! Is the sound quality really superior to the 1712 ? I' am starting from scratch and I don't have any legacy devices. I'll be positng in the speaker forum follwoing your suggestion!
post #4 of 4 Old 10-05-2012, 08:06 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 718 Post(s)
Liked: 1401
The 1712 is a non-networking model, but offers the same Audyssey MultEQ XT as on the 2113CI, so if it meets your feature/input needs then the 1712 would serve you well too.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page