Pioneer Elite VSX-42 Setup - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Pioneer Elite VSX-42 Setup

Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Rock16MHS's Avatar Rock16MHS
07:38 PM Liked: 10
post #1 of 11
10-05-2012 | Posts: 2
Hello.. I'm new to AVS and frankly surround sound all together. I own a VSX-42 reciever and have setup up with a 5.1 speaker system. My problem is I'm not sure if I have my settings correct for best performance. I've used the MCACC feature and have heard sounds from all 6 speakers. I noticed this week (after being hooked up for 2 weeks) that i only had sound coming from front speakers and really nice bass. No matter what I played through the reciever ( DirectTV box, blue ray movie....) that was the only place I have sound coming out. This being my first system, I thought it sounded pretty good..... but I want to hear what it is REALLY suppose to do and with all my components (DirectTV box, dvd/blueray player). Any pointers as to what settings I should tinker with, and if there is a setup that works best for all components without having to switch a bunch of stuff everytime I am playing something different??
Rock16MHS's Avatar Rock16MHS
08:20 PM Liked: 10
post #2 of 11
10-05-2012 | Posts: 2
Been playing around some, and it seems that I had it in a front stage surround advance mode.... which sounds great, but doesn't allow for listening with back speakers. However when I change that mode it seems to have a lot of echo types sounds (sports, game...etc) The other option is EXT. Stereo and it seems to push sound to all speakers and sounds just ok.... all these options come from pressing adv. suround button....
cdudek's Avatar cdudek
06:49 AM Liked: 10
post #3 of 11
12-05-2012 | Posts: 10
I just bought the VSX-42 and am having the same exact experience. I was going to post on here but then read yours. Have you figured anything out? I think I might call Best Buy or Pioneer later today, but would rather get some advice from the pros on this site.
cdudek's Avatar cdudek
07:07 AM Liked: 10
post #4 of 11
12-05-2012 | Posts: 10
I think the issue is just with the advanced surround settings. I'm going to throw mine back to Auto and see how it sounds. I am using a universal remote an couldn't find a way to get off of advanced settings. Not sure if you tried just letting the receiver decide or if you always wanted to use advanced surround.
nyrmetros's Avatar nyrmetros
02:27 PM Liked: 10
post #5 of 11
12-06-2012 | Posts: 217
I also haven't found the best combination for getting a 5 speakers to sound incredible...... One option I found gives me awesome sound from the front speakers, but then when I went surround sound it doesn't sound as rich. Any ideas?
MGTR420's Avatar MGTR420
04:12 PM Liked: 40
post #6 of 11
01-25-2013 | Posts: 200
Hey guys, I am having the same issue with my vsx-42, have you guys come up with settings that sound good?
linvestor's Avatar linvestor
04:32 PM Liked: 10
post #7 of 11
02-24-2013 | Posts: 1
I recently purchased this same unit. I hooked up my Bose Acoustimass 10 system to it and I am experiencing the same issues previously mentioned in this thread. Is this a systemic issue withe the vsx42 or is there a solution? Anyone???
OCMike80's Avatar OCMike80
05:38 PM Liked: 17
post #8 of 11
04-25-2013 | Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by linvestor View Post

I recently purchased this same unit. I hooked up my Bose Acoustimass 10 system to it and I am experiencing the same issues previously mentioned in this thread. Is this a systemic issue withe the vsx42 or is there a solution? Anyone???
Hey guys, You need to go into the home menu and go into 2. manual speaker setup then go into a. speaker setting and change them all to small. This will make your system sound alot better and your volume will go up alot louder.

Also make sure to run your mcacc after doing this and check to make sure it didn't change your speakers to large, and if it did change them back to small. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
11:15 PM Liked: 10
post #9 of 11
07-11-2013 | Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCMike80 View Post

Hey guys, You need to go into the home menu and go into 2. manual speaker setup then go into a. speaker setting and change them all to small. This will make your system sound alot better and your volume will go up alot louder.

Also make sure to run your mcacc after doing this and check to make sure it didn't change your speakers to large, and if it did change them back to small. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

That's a good idea, I will try that out. Thanks.
Elevatorguy's Avatar Elevatorguy
07:53 AM Liked: 10
post #10 of 11
09-14-2013 | Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post

That's a good idea, I will try that out. Thanks.

nyrmetros,
Did you do this and, if so, did it work? I am looking at buying this receiver used from a friend at a good price, but would like to know if this issue has been resolved. I am only driving small Cambridge speakers and would like to get the best sound out of all of them. Thanks for the help.
02:39 AM Liked: 10
post #11 of 11
12-04-2013 | Posts: 217
I didn't get a chance yet. Hopefully I can work on it on Thursday !!
Tags: Pioneer Elite Vsx 42 7 1 Channel Network Ready Av Receiver
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Subscribe to this Thread