Recommend A Receiver With Strong Bass - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-06-2012, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Base on your experience which receiver will produce the strongest bass:
Marantz, Pioneer, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo or unlisted?
I tried googling for answers but no luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-06-2012, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by koresuki View Post

Base on your experience which receiver will produce the strongest bass:
Marantz, Pioneer, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo or unlisted?
I tried googling for answers but no luck

Unlisted! smile.gif

OK, so I wouldn't use the word "strong" to describe what is going on in the bass department, but would rather say "deep, smooth and even bass" is what one would be look for.

Here are some initial considerations for Ya:

1. Have a powered sub with a driver not less than 10", but 12" or even 15" would be better.
2. Subwoofer placement is vital, search the Net with the keywords "subwoofer crawl" for the know-how. See how its done.
3. Look for an AVR that equalizes the subwoofer channel, not all the above listed brands do that.
4. Feel free to come back with more questions.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-06-2012, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
The receiver has no impact here. All a receiver should do is amplify a signal as flat as possible, then through speaker selection and EQ you get the sound you want.
post #4 of 7 Old 10-07-2012, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post

Unlisted! smile.gif
OK, so I wouldn't use the word "strong" to describe what is going on in the bass department, but would rather say "deep, smooth and even bass" is what one would be look for.
Here are some initial considerations for Ya:
1. Have a powered sub with a driver not less than 10", but 12" or even 15" would be better.
2. Subwoofer placement is vital, search the Net with the keywords "subwoofer crawl" for the know-how. See how its done.
3. Look for an AVR that equalizes the subwoofer channel, not all the above listed brands do that.
4. Feel free to come back with more questions.

I listen mostly to dance music that emphasize on low mid bass. To give you an idea listen to DJ Ross Emotion. I do not have a sub right now. Using my towers as a substitute. I did ordered a VTF3-MK4 Hsu sub through a friend though. Sad thing it's sitting halfway across the globe in the US. I was somewhat disappointed at first with my friend's description that the bass of the VTF-3.4 is just mildly loud. But then he did also mention something like sending massive shock waves to his feet, knees and into his bone at the same time. Hmmm you think such a sub is good for a bass head like me? What sub provides both loudness and shockwave? I use to be a in the HTIB crowd so I'm so used to listening to everything loud.

I would want to buy a BIC DV84 for my tv speaker in the mean time. How much do you think it would fare without a sub.

Why does a sub needs equalizer? Enlighten me please.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-07-2012, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblHelix View Post

The receiver has no impact here. All a receiver should do is amplify a signal as flat as possible, then through speaker selection and EQ you get the sound you want.

Got to somewhat disagree.
I used to have a Carver HR-895 receiver driving my dual 5.8 inch Dantax towers. I ram up the bass knob to 2pm and it rattles on my 17x17x2 room. Yes a dual 5.8 inch is capable of doing that. But it also depends on the type of music and the SPL played. Unfortunately this amp died a year ago. Replaced it with a Cambridge Audio Azur 340a someone gave me. Very clean sound at first impression. But the bass is weak. No matter how far I upped the bass knob (even up to 5pm!) it doesn't sound any much different from 12pm. Since then I can no longer hear the rattling.

Yes I know what I'm doing is just distorting the bass. But i really need to have that "rattling effect" in times of need.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-07-2012, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post

Unlisted! smile.gif

Oh I missed this "unlisted" receiver you're trying to say tongue.gif What brand is that?

Teach a noob(me) the way of the audiophile please biggrin.gif
post #7 of 7 Old 10-07-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by koresuki View Post

Oh I missed this "unlisted" receiver you're trying to say tongue.gif What brand is that?
Teach a noob(me) the way of the audiophile please biggrin.gif

I was just kidding you! smile.gif Any Receiver will please you, but as it was said earlier by DblHelix it's not the receiver you need to concentrate on.

So, if you're a noob it'll be my pleasure to educate you (together with other well knowledgable guys who will chime in during the course), but on one condition. You follow what is being told to do! Deal? If so, some easy and simple initial questions will follow soon.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page