5.1 Need input for a amp and receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 10-07-2012, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am new to this so bare with me. Here is what I am looking to run, its a decent size room but I would like to run a 5.1 system. I know RTIA9's need power, here is the set up.

1) 2 RTIA9's (front)
2) CSIA6 (center)
3) RTIA3's (rear)
4) SVS sub

I welcome the feedback before I pull the trigger. Looking for the best bang for the buck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-07-2012, 09:03 AM

Liked: 17
The Polks should be a nice speaker setup for you along with the SVS sub. What do you want to spend on a receiver? Do you have any brands you like or dislike?

The lazy man finds the easiest way ... Ben Franklin
post #3 of 15 Old 10-07-2012, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzphoneman View Post

The Polks should be a nice speaker setup for you along with the SVS sub. What do you want to spend on a receiver? Do you have any brands you like or dislike?

Well I guess what I need help with is, if I run a amp which from what i read i willl need I need to drive the RTI9's, I need a pre amp not a full blown receiver? The combo will be 60% music/40%movies. Also do you run the amp to all 5 speakers fronts/centers/rears? Thank you
post #4 of 15 Old 10-07-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 384
I've never auditioned the RTiA9 speakers, but Polk's Web site claims they have an efficiency rating of 90dB. That's relatively high, meaning they don't need as powerful a receiver as most speakers, which often are in the mid 80s. Unless you have a large, highly sound absorbent room, just about any modern receiver should be able to drive them to decent sound levels.

The traditional rule of thumb is to spend about 2/3 of your audio budget on speakers and 1/3 on electronics to drive them, suggesting that it would be reasonable to keep your expenditure on electronics under $1K. A pre/pro plus external amps would be closer to $3K. If you want to use an external stereo amp to drive the front speakers, you need to get a receiver which includes pre-amp outputs. That'll push the cost of the receiver to near $1K.

For the best sound, you need to consider receiver models which include some form of room equalization, preferably Audyssey (Onkyo and Denon). The competing receivers with EQ and costing $1K or less (Pioneer and Yamaha) don't equalize the subwoofer channel.

Note that my cost estimates are based on list prices. Significantly lower prices are often available if you're willing to use refurbished equipment.

Selden
post #5 of 15 Old 10-07-2012, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

I've never auditioned the RTiA9 speakers, but Polk's Web site claims they have an efficiency rating of 90dB. That's relatively high, meaning they don't need as powerful a receiver as most speakers, which often are in the mid 80s. Unless you have a large, highly sound absorbent room, just about any modern receiver should be able to drive them to decent sound levels.
The traditional rule of thumb is to spend about 2/3 of your audio budget on speakers and 1/3 on electronics to drive them, suggesting that it would be reasonable to keep your expenditure on electronics under $1K. A pre/pro plus external amps would be closer to $3K. If you want to use an external stereo amp to drive the front speakers, you need to get a receiver which includes pre-amp outputs. That'll push the cost of the receiver to near $1K.
For the best sound, you need to consider receiver models which include some form of room equalization, preferably Audyssey (Onkyo and Denon). The competing receivers with EQ and costing $1K or less (Pioneer and Yamaha) don't equalize the subwoofer channel.
Note that my cost estimates are based on list prices. Significantly lower prices are often available if you're willing to use refurbished equipment.

What would you run to drive this array of speakers?
post #6 of 15 Old 10-07-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Among this year's models:
Denon's AVR 2313ci has preamp outs for just front channels, and lists for slightly under $1K. Their 3313ci has preamp outs for all channels for about $200 more.
Onkyo's TX-NR717 has preamp outs for all channels and lists for slightly under $1K. Their next lower model has only subwoofer out.
Emotiva is well known for their quality, cost-effective amplifiers.

I suggest you look at the receivers' other features to help you decide among them.

Selden
post #7 of 15 Old 10-07-2012, 03:40 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Liked: 1485
^^
The Denon 331XCI series is the lowest level model with main zone pre-outs, while the Marantz models offer a minimum of FL/FR pre-outs (1403, 1603) and full 7.2 pre-outs starting with the 5007. However, all Denon/Marantz models (except the 1513) offer at a minimum of Audyssey MultEQ, while the Onkyo 717 and lower models only offer Audyssey 2EQ which cannot EQ the sub and has 1/2 as many speaker control points as does MultEQ.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #8 of 15 Old 10-07-2012, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Do I need to run a amp and receiver, or a amp and a pre amp or just a receiver? Thanks Guys

I want this to pound...lol
post #9 of 15 Old 10-07-2012, 03:46 PM
585-645-1006

As Seldon noted, unless you're in a large room, you should not require an external amp, rather the AVR's amps alone should suffice. If you still want to use an external amp (which will likely cost as much as the AVR, eg. Emotiva XPA-2), you'll need to connect the amp to the main zone pre-outs on the AVR.

"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 15 Old 10-07-2012, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03SONIC View Post

What would you run to drive this array of speakers?

As has already been noted, the Polks you chose are reasonably efficient, and are 8ohms.

They will be easy for nearly any receiver to drive them to very very loud sound levels.

IMO, pick a receiver that fits your feature set needs. Be less concerned with output power.
post #11 of 15 Old 10-07-2012, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03SONIC View Post

Do I need to run a amp and receiver, or a amp and a pre amp or just a receiver? Thanks Guys
I want this to pound...lol

With a good subwoofer, you'll be directing all low end frequencies to it. This will free up a receiver to drive the easier load of pushing the higher frequencies.

It'll pound because of the sub.

wink.gif
post #12 of 15 Old 10-07-2012, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalJason View Post

With a good subwoofer, you'll be directing all low end frequencies to it. This will free up a receiver to drive the easier load of pushing the higher frequencies.
It'll pound because of the sub.
wink.gif

So just a receiver? no amp sorry new to this stuff.
post #13 of 15 Old 10-07-2012, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I'd look at either the Denon 33xx series, either the 3313 or the 3312 (last years model) or the Onkyo 818 . All have capable amps built in, Audyssey XT32, and a full line of pre-outs. All can be found for under 1K. Then if you feel you need louder, or just want an external amp, you'll be able to add one easily. Whether you NEED an external amp... opinions will vary, but your own specifics will determine that. Room size, in cu ft, and distance from the speakers , together with how loud you listen, primarily.
hope it helps
Joseph

What a long, strange trip its been....
post #14 of 15 Old 10-07-2012, 07:14 PM
585-645-1006

Note the Denon models only use XT, while the Onkyo 818 uses XT32.

"JD" –

post #15 of 15 Old 10-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 59
good point JD,

and if having 'just' XT is a viable option, then include the Onkyo 809 (last years model) in your research.

What a long, strange trip its been....
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page