A/B receiver for 2nd and 3rd zones plus sub output - suggestions please :) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-07-2012, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am looking for a receiver for two reasons:
  1. I would like to get a 'zone' receiver that has A/B selections to easily turn on/off the speakers in my kitchen and the speakers on the patio.
  2. I am waiting on an RMA# to send in my Onkyo HT-RC180 for repair. So, I would like to have something that I can use at least temporarily to send signal to my sub over RCA (speaker wires aren't an option since my equipment is in a different room than my TV and sub).

I would like to have this audio in sync with the HDMI output to my main receiver, so I think I need to use SPDIF and have the zone receiver output in 'All Channel Stereo'.
Once I get the HT-RC180 back from repair, I plan to sell it and replace it with something that suits my needs. I don't have a lot of confidence in the replacement HDMI board making it so I figure fresh out of repair is the best time to get the highest value out of it and the best time to sell something of that quality. Although the HT-RC180 is a 3 powered zone receiver, I find it to be a royal pain of button clicks and source selection to activate the zones and I think I would prefer to just have a main HDMI based receiver and a second receiver that just has SPDIF and RCA output for a sub.
Given my needs for an A/B zone receiver, I am open to new or used options.
TIA!
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well Boo!
I bought a Sony STR-K650P off of Craigslist.
It has Coaxial and Optical Digital inputs and a 2 Channel button on front as a substitute for A/B buttons.
My theory was that it would play in sync with my main receiver which is using HDMI.
The echo is half the length of the echo I get using analog RCA connections to the second receiver. But an echo is an echo and it is pretty annoying.

I also tried hooking my main receiver to my Directv box with optical and telling the receiver to use that audio signal. No change - still echo.

Anyone have any ideas??

TIA!
John