Help needed to setup a budget receiver/record player to compliment my Logitech Z5500 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-07-2012, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First off let me say I know very little about sound quality/management of equipment so forgive my lack of intellect on the matter.

I have had this Logitech Z5500 sound system for years now and I've never owned a receiver.
My sound system has an optical port and I want to get the best quality I can, since I've been wasting it all these years.

I'm in the market to buy a receiver with an optical port so I can use my speakers properly.
With the new receiver I plan to buy a record player so I can finally use these 20+ records I have.

Now what I'm having trouble figuring out is if record players have optical ports or not, or if those are strictly the expensive no-needle record players I've seen and I just have to get a normal one since I'm on a budget.

I also don't know whether I should just get a new home theatre system or just a receiver. I figure the ones that come with the HTIB are worse quality then to buy a one-off receiver.

on another note I'd like to eventually own an SACD player and don't know if there are receivers that have them built in or if I have to buy a separate unit for the SACD player.

In a nutshell I want to:

1) Have a receiver with an optical port so my Z5500 and my TV can use that sound quality over the crappy headphone jack im using at the moment

2) Have a record player that connects to my receiver since that'll be better sound quality then I'm experiencing now

3) eventually own an SACD player aswell

Thanks in advance to any1 who gives me some insight, I'm really confused about what to look for and could use some guidance so I can get this show on the road

~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-07-2012, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 290
What's your budget? Will you continue to use this setup in a near-field computer desk environment? Without knowing more I would be inclined to start over with a receiver and a pair of book shelf monitors. You could then build from there as finances allow and build a nice system.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #3 of 7 Old 10-07-2012, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

This setup will be used in a bedroom environment. I realize it's too powerful (ive been using the Z5500's in my room for a while and they really boom) but I'm fine with that.
(this setup will eventually be used in a living room when I move)

My budget on a receiver is about $3-500 and for a record player it's about $2-400.

The distance from the TV to the back of the room is about 10 feet and from left-right is about 7 feet.

Is it worth it to just buy a receiver to use with my system or just buy a whole new HTIB setup?

My main thing is quality, I want to be able to use optical with whatever system I have setup.
post #4 of 7 Old 10-07-2012, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Since you eventually plan to move the system to the living room I still think it might be worth reconsidering your options. HTiB is certainly one route but not the best route. There are a few decent HTiB setups including offerings from Energy (the Energy Take set) or Jamo. Another route would be to start with a nice receiver and 2.0 setup (book shelf or towers) and build from there.

If you still want to stick with your current setup. I would pick up the Denon 1612 or 2112 if you want networking and the many other features offered. For the turntable you will need a phono preamp or a turntable with an onboard preamp. I would recommend the Audio-Technica AT-LP120 ($215 on Amazon). This turntable has an onboard preamplifier so you can connect it directly to your AVR. It also comes with cartridge and you can connect to a computer should you want to convert your LPs to digital. There are much better turntables out there but they will cost you and it may not be worth it for you having only 20 records or so.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #5 of 7 Old 10-08-2012, 05:19 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Yoda View Post

I have had this Logitech Z5500 sound system for years now and I've never owned a receiver.
My sound system has an optical port and I want to get the best quality I can, since I've been wasting it all these years.
I'm in the market to buy a receiver with an optical port so I can use my speakers properly.

Why is it you think you've "been wasting it all these years"? If you plan on continueing to use the Z5500 system, there's no reason to get a receiver as a turntable (w/pre-amp) can be connected directly to the Z5500 as well. Connecting the sources via optical/coax digital to a receiver and then on to the Z5500 is the same as your current configuration of just connecting them straight to the Z5500. Until you're ready to replace the Z5500, I'd suggest just adding a turntable at this time and saving your money for an AVR and better 5.1 setup for when you move.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #6 of 7 Old 10-09-2012, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post

Since you eventually plan to move the system to the living room I still think it might be worth reconsidering your options. HTiB is certainly one route but not the best route. There are a few decent HTiB setups including offerings from Energy (the Energy Take set) or Jamo. Another route would be to start with a nice receiver and 2.0 setup (book shelf or towers) and build from there.
If you still want to stick with your current setup. I would pick up the Denon 1612 or 2112 if you want networking and the many other features offered. For the turntable you will need a phono preamp or a turntable with an onboard preamp. I would recommend the Audio-Technica AT-LP120 ($215 on Amazon). This turntable has an onboard preamplifier so you can connect it directly to your AVR. It also comes with cartridge and you can connect to a computer should you want to convert your LPs to digital. There are much better turntables out there but they will cost you and it may not be worth it for you having only 20 records or so.

I'd be down to upgrade to an amp with tower speakers but I don't want to go from 5.1 to 2.0. I know the Z5500 system isn't ideal but It does the job for now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Why is it you think you've "been wasting it all these years"? If you plan on continueing to use the Z5500 system, there's no reason to get a receiver as a turntable (w/pre-amp) can be connected directly to the Z5500 as well. Connecting the sources via optical/coax digital to a receiver and then on to the Z5500 is the same as your current configuration of just connecting them straight to the Z5500. Until you're ready to replace the Z5500, I'd suggest just adding a turntable at this time and saving your money for an AVR and better 5.1 setup for when you move.

what I meant by wasting it all these years is that I've had the option of optical but only ever used the green/yellow/black (w/e that ones called) and currently it's only plugged into the headphone jack in my TV with the green cord.

I don't know what pre-amp means but if I can get a turntable with that and not have to dish out for a receiver/HTiB i'll be pretty happy because that cuts my costs in half. Eventually I'll upgrade to a receiver with a better 5.1 setup, but I'll do research on here b4 I upgrade.
If the turntable with the pre-amp has an optical port I'd be so happy, but if it doesn't I'd settle for one with the next best port (I dunno which that is).
post #7 of 7 Old 10-09-2012, 05:41 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
You're referring to composite cables (red/white/yellow) which pass analog audio and video. Turntable audio must be amplified prior to being processed by an AVR or sound system. An AVR with a dedicated "PHONO" input has a pre-amp built in to those inputs, although by either using a turntable with a built in pre-amp or one w/o a pre-amp and connecting it to a 3rd party phono pre-amp, you then don't need a dedicated PHONO input on the sound system and can connect the turntable to any analog inputs on the AVR.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page