Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-08-2012, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
upi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
PLEASE Help. !
I've looked all over, but got no real straight answer !

QUESTION:
I have a Marantz SR5006 and an OPPO-BDP93. First of all, DOES the Marantz process DSD(SACD)/NEURAL ?
And WhatDoes that actually mean?

The Marantz 5006/6006 say -/YES in the specs for DSD(SACD)/Neural.
The Marantz 5007 says -/- for DSD(SACD)/Neural.
The Marantz 6007/7007 say YES/- for DSD(SACD)/Neural.

I read somewhere that only this years 7007 is capable(again, what does DSD(SACD)/Neural actually mean in regards to the Receiver ?)

PROBLEM:
The reason I ask this, is because when I play a 24-bit SACD, the On-screen display(gui) from the OPPO to my Panasonic
says : 16-bit, 44.1 !!!!!

The Oppo is set the HDMI PCM, Multi channel. I'm using a very era liable HDMI.

What Am I missing guys?

The Marantz seems to go 'bizerk' once in a while and takes FOREVER to react to commands(direct/pure direct). Could this issue be 3 12-foot HDMI?

The OPPO g.u.i. goes purple instead of blue sometimes, until i play with some command/ **** the tv off/on.

Also, the subwoofer cuts out in 'pure-direct/direct' mode. but not in Auto. Is this to optimize 2-channel?

Is the 'HDMI handshake' and lon delay in command a common HDMI or 5006 problem, or am I over reacting? The time it takes in between channel changes on my new cogeco (pace) HD cable-box is UNREAL! Aprrox. 4-6 seconds of no a/v between every channel change!

ANY HELP to ONE OR ALL my questions would be SO APPRECIATED ! THANKS !!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-08-2012, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Q: what does DSD(SACD)/Neural actually mean in regards to the Receiver ?
A: It refers to whether the receiver can accept incoming DSD stream input, as opposed to PCM.
Neural:
http://www.dts.com/professionals/sound-technologies/audio-processing/dts-neural-surround.aspx

Q: when I play a 24-bit SACD, the On-screen display(gui) from the OPPO to my Panasonic
A: SACD is 1-bit. Don't know what the 'Panasonic' is, but Oppo can output 88.2kHz PCM converted from DSD to a receiver that can accept it. Another possibility is that you're playing the CD layer.

Q: Also, the subwoofer cuts out in 'pure-direct/direct' mode. but not in Auto. Is this to optimize 2-channel?
A: Yes but not exclusively. Whether this is optimized depends on individual needs and taste or preference.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #3 of 4 Old 10-08-2012, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
upi

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca View Post

Q: what does DSD(SACD)/Neural actually mean in regards to the Receiver ?
A: It refers to whether the receiver can accept incoming DSD stream input, as opposed to PCM.
Neural:
http://www.dts.com/professionals/sound-technologies/audio-processing/dts-neural-surround.aspx
Q: when I play a 24-bit SACD, the On-screen display(gui) from the OPPO to my Panasonic
A: SACD is 1-bit. Don't know what the 'Panasonic' is, but Oppo can output 88.2kHz PCM converted from DSD to a receiver that can accept it. Another possibility is that you're playing the CD layer.
Q: Also, the subwoofer cuts out in 'pure-direct/direct' mode. but not in Auto. Is this to optimize 2-channel?
A: Yes but not exclusively. Whether this is optimized depends on individual needs and taste or preference.

Thanks Kilian.

So the 'direct/ pure direct' modes on the Marantz, are the reason for the subwoofer/ .1 cutting out ? Because the bass is fine When You press direct/pure-direct until it reads 'Auto'.

And by Panasonic, I meant Panasonic 60GT30 Plasma.

The OPPO is set-up in Multi-channel, instead of Hi-Res Stereo or CD-Mode(which would only play the cd layer if Im correct?)

Are my settings to blame for the OPPO out-putting at 16-bit 44.1 kHz, instead of 24-bit 192 kHz ?
Is PCM the correct mode for SACD or DSD?

Sorry for all the questions(I Have MANY more !) but I REALLY appreciate the help.
-Upi
post #4 of 4 Old 10-08-2012, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Are you using HDMI or analogue input, 2CH or MCH, when you engage direct/ pure direct' modes? Different brands can mean different things by direct/pure direct.

I doubt TVs accept high resolution audio or MCH audio so if you connect Oppo to TV it usually downmixes and downsamples to 2CH. To have high res audio, player needs to be connected to a receiver directly via HDMI. If it's not CD-mode then it shouldn't be playing the CD layer.

DSD is the format for SACD audio, a player can output DSD stream, or 'converts' to PCM. Not all receivers accept DSD stream so PCM conversion is needed. Both formats are 'correct', as long as PCM isn't downsampled. Sending DSD to receiver is NOT necessarily better than PCM as there are pitfalls in how the receiver handles the DSD internally.

PS. Manual p.56. The modes are the same as in the Denon. As I understand:
Pure Direct = Direct - GUI
Direct or Pure Direct: no processing (5 types) but no mention of sub/BM being excluded.
Stereo: sub used
Auto: If 2CH or analogue, as 'stereo'.
MCH, should have all dsp modes, but not sure what it does exactly, I think depends on what shows up on the front display.

Doesn't explain why sub is excluded in Direct/Pure Direct modes, check the front display lights.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page