Newer Onkyo's - HDMI heat issues resolved? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 10-09-2012, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I had posted in another thread and since requested it be deleted.. that my ht-r680 had hdmi issues related to heat.
Onkyos have seemed to be plagued by hdmi heat issues for a while now.

Does anyone know if the newer models have these issues fixed?
I got amazon to offer a free return and credit so im going to buy another receiver with that credit (and a 2nd as a replacement for upstairs).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 10-09-2012, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm curious as well...I'm just starting to research this issue, as (1) the HDMI board appears on the way out on my TX-SR607, and (2) I'm looking for an HDMI 1.4 compliant unit, anyway.
post #3 of 28 Old 10-09-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 101
It seems like the new crop of Onkyo AVRs run much cooler. I would suggest you stick a fan near the back of the AVR and pull to heat off it regardless of make/model that you buy. That fan will make a huge difference. I bought a Harman Kardon AVR 525 in 2001 that ran hotter than anything made today. Trouble was they were dropping like flies. I stuck a 120mm fan up and behind the AVR pulling the air off the top. Before doing that I could not lay the inside of my arm on it after an hour of using it on low volume without being branded! Very hot! After installing the fan I could watch a movie at near reference volume and lay the inside of my arm on it without getting burnt. That 525 is still going strong - my sister uses it every day driving a 5.1 setup for TV music and movies.

Heat kills electronics. The manufacturers make a bet when they build something for the consumer - that bet is it'll last just long enough with what they put into it to get them 'over the line'. That line is the end of the warranty period. After that they don't much care. Does not matter - cars or AVRs. Stick a fan on your AVR and move the 'line' well down the road.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #4 of 28 Old 10-09-2012, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

even thou i searched i must have missed this.. but i just happened to find it:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1397405/has-onkyo-solved-their-hdmi-issues

i mean thats one persons opinion.. i know my r680 was a dud.. but my other unit 9forget the model) that is 9 years old still runs like a champ.

i like the plethora of features onkyo offers and usual* reliability. but if this is the status quo i gotta change it up and will go with denon even tho i feel denon is what onkyo quality used to be with a higher cost.

but also - 1 person on a thread saying 2012's are still buggy doesnt mean thats fact.
anyone else ?
post #5 of 28 Old 10-09-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I would assume that since your r680 failed, there's a good chance another Onkyo in the same environment will have an increased chance of failure too. I agree Onkyo gives you a lot of bang for the buck, but the tradeoff is lower reliability. If my choice were between an Onkyo and running a fan or another brand with no fan, I would choose the other brand.

I've had good luck with Yamaha. Never had an issue.
post #6 of 28 Old 10-09-2012, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

hmm..
and the location i had it in was on a shelf. had some hdmi issues early on and someone on here suggested a fan.
i put in a wide laptop cooler fan (i went for quiet run instead of a fast one) and it was OK after that.. until now.

with whatever new reciever i get im going to relocate it below the tv to a much more open area.

yamaha, denon, onkyo, pioneer.. maybe it is time i should give up some features to go with dependability. im REALLY lucky amazon gave me a break after the warranty period and is going to credit me the full amount to my amazon account.

i think this time im going to buy a seperate receiver and speaker system (instead of a lumped together reciever and speakers that the onkyo ht-s6300 was).
rolleyes.gif
post #7 of 28 Old 10-09-2012, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdream View Post

Hi, I had posted in another thread and since requested it be deleted.. that my ht-r680 had hdmi issues related to heat.
Onkyos have seemed to be plagued by hdmi heat issues for a while now.
Does anyone know if the newer models have these issues fixed?
I got amazon to offer a free return and credit so im going to buy another receiver with that credit (and a 2nd as a replacement for upstairs).

Make sure you install the AVR following Onkyo's recommendations..
Provide at least 3-4" of free-air clearance for the L/R sides and top cover..
And you should be fine...

Just my $0.02... wink.gif
Dallas J Fuller likes this.
post #8 of 28 Old 10-09-2012, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

yup. thats what i had. 4'' on each side, 5''+ in back and 4 on top.. and a 10'' laptop fan on top blowing right down onto hdmi area and still heat was pouring outta that cavity. the new area will be 2' air on each side, 4' on top and 1' in rear.

iguess now just gotta weight my chances vs price vs features particular to my use.
post #9 of 28 Old 10-09-2012, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but does this heating issue also occurs on Integra brand ( sister company)??

Regards, Chuck
Hold on tight to your dreams - ELO
post #10 of 28 Old 10-09-2012, 03:05 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

It seems like the new crop of Onkyo AVRs run much cooler.
I don't think they had much choice with 9 amplifiers this year and 11 probable next year.
Pioneer stands alone in making the investment in developing energy efficient, great sounding and cost effective class D receivers.
post #11 of 28 Old 10-09-2012, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdream View Post

yup. thats what i had. 4'' on each side, 5''+ in back and 4 on top.. and a 10'' laptop fan on top blowing right down onto hdmi area and still heat was pouring outta that cavity. the new area will be 2' air on each side, 4' on top and 1' in rear.
iguess now just gotta weight my chances vs price vs features particular to my use.

Sounds like the amplifier's bias levels are set incorrectly...
I would recommend that these be rechecked ASAP...
Setup is really EZ for a good bench tech, takes about 45 minutes..

Just my $0.02... wink.gif
post #12 of 28 Old 10-10-2012, 07:18 AM

I'm considering upgrading to 11.2 channel processing this year, so I'm checking out the Onkyo 3010.
I've been made aware of heat and reliability issues like in this thread.
Then i stumbled upon this one pretty bad complaint who suggested checking with the Better Business Bureau.

Better Business Bureau Ratings
Onkyo:
http://www.bbb.org/new-jersey/business-reviews/electronic-equipment-and-supplies-wholesale-and-manufacturers/onkyo-corporation-in-u-saddle-riv-nj-22001546/
Denon:
http://www.bbb.org/new-jersey/business-reviews/television-and-radio-service-and-repair/denon-electronics-usa-in-mahwah-nj-26002909
Pioneer:
http://www.la.bbb.org/business-reviews/Electronic-Equipment-Retail/Pioneer-North-America-Inc-in-Long-Beach-CA-27132

Bookmark this post. To improve objectivity, please paste this post any time the issue of product reliability and customer service is raised.
post #13 of 28 Old 10-10-2012, 08:37 AM

Liked: 147
I can say my Onkyo 3010 is no hotter than my Pioneer 1120 was. I have a Noctua 120mm fan sitting ontop of it, sucking out air anyway - just to be on the safe side. As a note, the Denon 4250 manual says:

For proper heat dispersal, do not install this unit in a confined space, such as a bookcase or similar enclosure.
More than 12 in. (0.3 m) is recommended.
• Do not place any other equipment on this unit.

As a comparison, the Onkyo 3010/5010 manual says this:

18. If you install the apparatus in a built-in installation, such as a bookcase or rack, ensure that there is adequate ventilation.
Leave 20 cm (8") of free space at the top and sides and 10 cm (4") at the rear. The rear edge of the shelf or board above the apparatus shall be set 10 cm (4") away from the rear panel or wall, creating a flue-like gap for warm air to escape.

The Denon has two built in fans facing upwards that turn on when it gets too hot, the Onkyo has two fans that do the same but suck air in the sides which gets forced out the top. My side fans have never turned on, even after a 6 hour Battlestar Galactica BluRay marathon.
post #14 of 28 Old 10-10-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

I can say my Onkyo 3010 is no hotter than my Pioneer 1120 was. I have a Noctua 120mm fan sitting ontop of it, sucking out air anyway - just to be on the safe side. As a note, the Denon 4250 manual says:
For proper heat dispersal, do not install this unit in a confined space, such as a bookcase or similar enclosure.
18. If you install the apparatus in a built-in installation, such as a bookcase or rack, ensure that there is adequate ventilation.
Leave 20 cm (8") of free space at the top and sides and 10 cm (4") at the rear. The rear edge of the shelf or board above the apparatus shall be set 10 cm (4") away from the rear panel or wall, creating a flue-like gap for warm air to escape.
The Denon has two built in fans facing upwards that turn on when it gets too hot, the Onkyo has two fans that do the same but suck air in the sides which gets forced out the top. My side fans have never turned on, even after a 6 hour Battlestar Galactica BluRay marathon.

I guess that eliminates 99% of home entertainment stands.
post #15 of 28 Old 10-10-2012, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

I guess that eliminates 99% of home entertainment stands.
You are correct that is precisely the basic problem. The majority of mass produced home entertainment cabinets are designed by staff that do not understand/or meet the technical requirements for home theater systems. Their products are totally inadequate for:
A. Ventilation
B. Chassis height and depth
C. Wire/cable routing
D. AC line access
E. Component weight

Just my $0.02.. wink.gif
post #16 of 28 Old 10-10-2012, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

i had my fan pointed DOWN to cool off the hdmi not up to suck the hot air out. i have no issues getting various pc type fans to cool down a unit..
its just the costs vsfunctions and features vs dependability.. maybe locating to a new location would also help heat. i really wanna be able to get that blutooth adaptor to stream from grooveshark on my phone to the receiver(s).

ive decided instead of getting a pre built package of reciever and speakers that i will get the receiver.... and than buy speakers seperately.
i mean i have a kenwood excelon headunit, polk momo component and polk momo rears, and an alpine amp all in my care. a mixed system that ive recieved alot of compliments on.

also - i realized the specs on my living room unit is horrid.. ht-r640 is 90watts out at 8ohms 20hz - 20khz! ?!?
http://www.manualowl.com/m/Onkyo/HT-R640/Manual/220645

the ht-r680 is 130 wattas at 6ohms with 5hz - 120khz!!! thats night and day difference!
now granted the ht-r640 is 10 years old or so but still... i gotta upgrade!

ok.. um WOW!!!! about the BBB ratings.. that just blows my mind about denon.
Pioneer i have ALWAYS liked. I trust the BBB. they have helped me with shady customer service issues in the past BIG time..
i dont care what denon offers - im not going to purcahse one.
ill look at pioneer and debate about onkyo.
THANK YOU HIFIFUN!!

lastly - i know how to pair speakers to reciever signal output settings.. so my question is:
what brand of speakers does anyone suggest? ive never looked into it before. i have the theater mancave set up with 7.1 surround..
im open to anything really.. but if im dropping $500-700 on a receiver im thinking $250-$400 at MOST for sub, and all speakers.
polk, boston acoustic, onkyo, kenwood, pioneer i have all heard.... just not in a home enviroment which is drastically different than a car.
post #17 of 28 Old 10-10-2012, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

You are correct that is precisely the basic problem. The majority of mass produced home entertainment cabinets are designed by staff that do not understand/or meet the technical requirements for home theater systems. Their products are totally inadequate for:
A. Ventilation
C. Wire/cable routing
D. AC line access
E. Component weight
Just my $0.02.. wink.gif

I agree. In a previous post I told about going to HT stores that had Integras jamed in the cabinets with barely any clearance. They were running extremely hot to touch. I could not get my hand on top of them because there was not enough clearance. I touched them with two fingers. The dealers said they were made to run hot when I questioned them.
post #18 of 28 Old 10-10-2012, 05:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 383
My receivers are always on top of the AV rack so I don't have to worry about ventilation. Probably have 5 feet or more above my receiver. smile.gif

Afro GT
post #19 of 28 Old 10-10-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

I was able to put my hand on the top perorations of an Onkyo 5009 at Fry's and could only keep it there for 4-5 seconds. It was fully warmed up but sitting idle.
The unit was sitting on a self with adequate ventilation.

While hardly scientific, with no fan cooling how long can you keep your hand on the top of the 3010?
Thanks!
post #20 of 28 Old 10-10-2012, 09:37 PM

I finally said screw it with the heat problem on the Onkyo. I purchased an Antec Veris AV Cooler and moved it and the receiver to the top shelf of a completely open stand. I now have something like 17 feet up of air space and at least 6" back to a window. The sides are something like 5' to the left and 15' to the right.

Just make sure that you make an effort to keep it cool or your HDMI board will fry.
post #21 of 28 Old 10-11-2012, 01:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

I was able to put my hand on the top perorations of an Onkyo 5009 at Fry's and could only keep it there for 4-5 seconds. It was fully warmed up but sitting idle.

While hardly scientific, with no fan cooling how long can you keep your hand on the top of the 3010?
Thanks!

I have a 3009 & without the cooler on it it runs at around 35-37c & feels barely warm to touch. With the cooler on it never goes above 29c. Most of the time it stays right at 27c.
post #22 of 28 Old 10-11-2012, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A. Ventilation
C. Wire/cable routing
D. AC line access
E. Component weight
Just my $0.02.. wink.gif

The AV cabinet manufacturers could make a simple improvement that would make a huge difference. They could drill some holes in the shelves and bottom of the unit.
post #23 of 28 Old 10-11-2012, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter

im sure there are decent cabinet makers out there.. but now a days most dont care..
they want the product out there and dont take the time to research things..

i only do open air shelves or open air stands, starting years ago.
post #24 of 28 Old 10-11-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowop View Post

I have a 3009 & without the cooler on it it runs at around 35-37c & feels barely warm to touch. With the cooler on it never goes above 29c. Most of the time it stays right at 27c.
The good news is there has been a large improvement in energy efficiency with at least some of the latest Onkyo receivers. It only taken over ten years of consumers enduring Death Valley heat and a severely tarnished reputation.

Looking at the larger picture, the Onkyo AV Controllers generated as much heat as receivers, could not be upgraded, the custom installers were a Bit** to get service and only they could best calibrate your system, as Onkyo locked up the access.
If the firmware was updated, the settings were lost. Cough up another $350! If you changed your system configuration, then the settings became useless too. Cough up another $350!
Yet the discriminating consumer mindset was "where do i sign up?"

I've always stayed away from Onkyo, even though they were extremely popular at here AVS as every generation was pushed by Stereophile and Home Theater Magazine.
Repeatedly the most experienced members posted they weren't happy with the sound quality. Then finally Kris Deering came clean:
"Fine detail in recordings sounded better than ever, and the slight harshness I occasionally noticed in the midrange is gone."

The ultimate irony is the brightness and hardness consumers were noticing was no doubt caused by extreme amounts of digital signal processing promising to correct all issues with the sound quality.
The fact is digital processing by its very nature generates RF and can easily contaminate analog signals and is completely unrelated or correctable to "tone controls".

Of related issue take poorly shield HDMI cables connected to the back of the receivers. The RF interference is spewing out from all these cables into each other an into the receivers both electrically or coupling through the air.
Even the smartest guy here (M-code) is clueless to the multiple failure modes occurring simultaneously. Some things must be gifts?

Or take the $0.50 digital switching wall warts spewing RF and contaminating all the expensive interconnected gear. This is what is occurring today and even the experts are clueless.

The fact is room correction is largely beneficial to the bass only.

Now after ten years of dissatisfaction, with everyone being literally burned out, Onkyo was forced to make real improvements. Ironically, yet once again no one notices (i have inspired help here).
In summary its great to see Onyko reducing heat and improve sound quality.
Now they need to deal with still too inefficient class A/B technology and their reputation being in tatters.

Hey i just may buy an Onkyo as the feature set is great!
Just my 0.02 cents!
post #25 of 28 Old 10-11-2012, 11:04 AM

Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

Thanks!

I ran the unit without the fan for an hour. It gets warm, but not hot. I would say it is a cozy warm...the type of warm you are happy to feel on a cold day. I put the fan back on because it makes me feel better, but I do not think it is needed.
post #26 of 28 Old 10-11-2012, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Lets go through each mentioned point..
Quote:
The good news is there has been a large improvement in energy efficiency with at least some of the latest Onkyo receivers. It only taken over ten years of consumers enduring Death Valley heat and a severely tarnished reputation.
During the last 10 years Onkyo and Integra brands have sold > 7.3 million AVRs worldwide...
If the technical issues were as mentioned then Onkyo and Integra as brands would have been long gone... tongue.gif
Quote:
Looking at the larger picture, the Onkyo AV Controllers generated as much heat as receivers, could not be upgraded, the custom installers were a Bit** to get service and only they could best calibrate your system, as Onkyo locked up the access.
If the firmware was updated, the settings were lost. Cough up another $350! If you changed your system configuration, then the settings became useless too. Cough up another $350!
Yet the discriminating consumer mindset was "where do i sign up?"

No idea where this came from..
The Integra controllers run very cool as they don't have an amplifier...
Yes, the HD video processor is clocked higher but as long as the unit is installed properly with adequate free-air clearance they are very reliable. Our failure rate for Integra was well under 1% which is significantly lower than some of the more frequently mentioned brands on AVS.. Regarding firmware updates, Integra has an installer only password protected URL which has worked just fine for updates when needed, also the older models are archived there as well..
Quote:
I've always stayed away from Onkyo, even though they were extremely popular at here AVS as every generation was pushed by Stereophile and Home Theater Magazine.
Repeatedly the most experienced members posted they weren't happy with the sound quality. Then finally Kris Deering came clean:
"Fine detail in recordings sounded better than ever, and the slight harshness I occasionally noticed in the midrange is gone."
The ultimate irony is the brightness and hardness consumers were noticing was no doubt caused by extreme amounts of digital signal processing promising to correct all issues with the sound quality.
Amplifier sonic quality is highly subjective, here one must evaluate this by themselves with their loudspeakers and listening rooms. Ironic that the Onkyo and Integra brands were one of the 1st users of Audyssey, and the majority of their users are pretty vocal if it doesn't sound rite...eek.gif
Quote:
The fact is digital processing by its very nature generates RF and can easily contaminate analog signals and is completely unrelated or correctable to "tone controls".
Of related issue take poorly shield HDMI cables connected to the back of the receivers. The RF interference is spewing out from all these cables into each other an into the receivers both electrically or coupling through the air.
If one uses a junko $4 HDMI hi-speed cable from Harbor Freight... eek.gif
All bets are off for performance, RFI and EMI but don't blame the AVR/controller brands. Kinda like the guy who owns a ZR1 Corvette fuels it up with 87 Octane and wonders why it doesn't put out 575 horsepower..
Quote:
Even the smartest guy here (M-code) is clueless to the multiple failure modes occurring simultaneously. Some things must be gifts?
No idea about this..
But tnx for the compliment.. biggrin.gif
Quote:
Now after ten years of dissatisfaction, with everyone being literally burned out, Onkyo was forced to make real improvements. Ironically, yet once again no one notices (i have inspired help here).
In summary its great to see Onyko reducing heat and improve sound quality.
Now they need to deal with still too inefficient class A/B technology and their reputation being in tatters.
Hey i just may buy an Onkyo as the feature set is great!
Just my 0.02 cents!
If you want to purchase an Onkyo or Integra @ good discount, we can probably save you some $ PM me for more info. biggrin.gif

Just my $0.04... wink.gif
post #27 of 28 Old 10-17-2012, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

Lets go through each mentioned point..
During the last 10 years Onkyo and Integra brands have sold > 7.3 million AVRs worldwide...
If the technical issues were as mentioned then Onkyo and Integra as brands would have been long gone... tongue.gif
No idea where this came from..
The Integra controllers run very cool as they don't have an amplifier...
Yes, the HD video processor is clocked higher but as long as the unit is installed properly with adequate free-air clearance they are very reliable. Our failure rate for Integra was well under 1% which is significantly lower than some of the more frequently mentioned brands on AVS.. Regarding firmware updates, Integra has an installer only password protected URL which has worked just fine for updates when needed, also the older models are archived there as well..
Amplifier sonic quality is highly subjective, here one must evaluate this by themselves with their loudspeakers and listening rooms. Ironic that the Onkyo and Integra brands were one of the 1st users of Audyssey, and the majority of their users are pretty vocal if it doesn't sound rite...eek.gif
If one uses a junko $4 HDMI hi-speed cable from Harbor Freight... eek.gif
All bets are off for performance, RFI and EMI but don't blame the AVR/controller brands. Kinda like the guy who owns a ZR1 Corvette fuels it up with 87 Octane and wonders why it doesn't put out 575 horsepower..
No idea about this..
But tnx for the compliment.. biggrin.gif
If you want to purchase an Onkyo or Integra @ good discount, we can probably save you some $ PM me for more info. biggrin.gif
Just my $0.04... wink.gif

this all seems very interesting

let me share with you my personal experience with Onkyo products

all but the preamps have been used in secondary /bedroom environments...the receivers have only powered book shelf speakers

First unit.. Onkyo factory .refurbished 875 receiver...bought in 2009 from Ecost.com for about 1/3 of retail
Incredible value in sound for that price
Lasted about 3 months before I had to send it in....HDMI board and some DSP work done under warranty...the repair shop told me that the warranty work would have cost me far more than I paid for the unit

Second unit..PRSC885 preamp bought refurbed from Shop Onkyo...again for about 1/3 of retail
Unit was great...and I actually think it was a new( not refurbished) unit

Third unit..807 receiver...bought at Magnolia home theater.....3 times to the shop...they resolded some connections the first time...replaced the HDMI board the second time...it still had sound drop outs
The third time they gave me store credit....I bought a Yamaha A3000. It works fine and has never had any issues

Fourth unit ...Onkyo 905 receiver...unit had DSP issues with certain movies. They send me upgraded firmware..it didnt work
I took it to an authorized repair shop...they did some work on it. it didnt work...still the same issues
They had it shipped to NJ. The decided to replace the unit. They sent me a 5009 receiver. It now sits in a box in my basement

Fifth unit

Onkyo 5508 preamp...after three months the unit would switch inputs by itself. There was a "wire replacement" recall

You have no idea how much time I have spent with Onkyo customer service....and I will tell you it is the worst out there

I have not had any fans on the units...but never had any fans on the Yamahas either and they have worked flawlessly....now and in some receivers I owned for more than a decade

to add to this the Yamaha customer service is head and shoulders above Onkyo

Onkyo price to performance ratio is bar none...but my experience if that their reliability and customer service is at lower levels than their competitors as well

in my many years of buying receivers...25 years...and probably 10-12 units..the Onkyos are the only units that have ever needed service

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #28 of 28 Old 10-17-2012, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
My Integra 50.4 runs cooler than my 10 year old Onkyo TX-DS595, which isn't a model known to run hot.
Seriously, it barely gets above tepid.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page