Multi-Zone Multi-Room Receiver For Speakers in a Condo for throwing Parties - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-09-2012, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need a receiver system that can connect speakers in the living room and an adjacent room.

I'm already getting the following:

In the living room:
2x KEF IQ90 Tower Speakers
1x Sunfire-SDS12 300-Watt 12" Dual Driver Subwoofer

In an adjacent bedroom:
1x GLA-55 (2.1 speaker pair from Harman Kardon)
1x smaller subwoofer (undecided)

I'd like to be able to send the same music/sound to all these speakers simulateneously. In other words, I'd like to synchronize the music in the living room with the music in the bedroom. I want to avoid buying 2 receivers. Can I just buy one receiver and connect the living room and the bedroom speakers to it? Do I need a special kind of receiver - like a multi-zone receiver?

Or, could I incorporate AirPlay? For example, I could get an AirPort Express or AppleTv in the bedroom, and connect the 2.1 GLA speakers to it. And then, I could get another AppleTV and output it to the receiver, which then outputs it to the larger living room tower speakers and sub. And then I'd be able to play from my ITunes and have it send the music to both AirPlay devices simulateneously.

First, Wouldn't there be some delay between the two, or would they synchronize exactly? Second, am I only limited to what's in my iTunes? What if I wanted to get a deejay and he had to "plug in" his own deejaying equipment/software and play, would he NOT be able to connect with these AirPlay systems since he's not using iTunes? In that case, this AirPlay set up would not work, correct? Is there another way that it could work?

It looks like the Airplay/AppleTv set up would have too many limitations (Apple iTunes only), so I would need a multi-zone receiver, right? Would any of these receivers fulfill my purposes? I'm looking at the Denon AVR 1713 particularly. Would that work for my set up? Are there other good ones from this list that would work:

Denon DRA-397 AM/FM/FM Multi-Source/Zone Stereo Receiver - $280

Denon DRA-697CI AM/FM/FM Stereo Multi-Source/Zone Receiver - $415

Denon AVR-1713 5.1 Channel Home Theater System Receiver with AirPlay - $365

Harman Kardon AVR 2600 7.1-Channel Audio/Video Receiver - 65 Watt x 7 - $435

Harman Kardon AVR 1650 5.1 Channel AVR Receiver - 95 Watts per Channel - $315

Onkyo USA TX-NR515B 7.2 Channel A/V Surround Receiver with Powered Zone 2 - $395

Onkyo USA TX-NR414B 5.1 Channel A/V Surround Receiver with Zone 2 Line Out - $330

Yamaha RX-V573BL 7.1CH Network 115W AV Reciever, Cinema DSP 3D Surround, Airplay, Ipod/Ip - $345

P.S. I'd like to pick from this list because I get club discounts on these products. But, if this list is very limited and you really recommend another receiver for similar price, then I'm open to it as well. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-09-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
You don't need a multi-zone receiver for what you're trying to accomplish. Multi-zone is for when you want to listen to different things in different rooms. Since your speakers in the second room have their own builtin amplifers you can use any receiver with analogue audio Monitor-Out or Rec-Out jacks, also called Tape-Out, VCR-Out, DVR-Out or AV-Out. You'll need to connect any sources you want to listen to in the second room using analogue audio cables. This can be in addition to HDMI or digital audio cables.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-07-2013, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey, I opened another thread for this in:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450189/denon-1713-zone-2-same-source-airplay

I have the Denon 1713 and I was trying to work off what you said, but I think I'm doing something wrong. The Denon 1713 doesn't have a "analogue audio Monitor-Out or Rec-Out jacks, also called Tape-Out, VCR-Out, DVR-Out or AV-Out" as you described. It has only the Zone 2 Audio Out. Can I use that? Or like you said, that's only if you want multiple zones...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page