Marantz SR6007 AV Receiver Owner's Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 315 Old 10-10-2012, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Marantz SR6007 AV Receiver Owner's Thread

Couldn't see a thread on the new Marantz SR6007 AV receiver so though I would start one.

Product specs: USA AU UK CA HK SG ZA

I am looking to purchase the SR6007 as an upgrade to an old Marantz SR7500 which is around 9 years old now. The Marantz SR6007 looks like the ideal upgrade for me. Feature wise it includes everything I need like 7.1 analogue input, internet radio, HDMI, Phono, DSD decoding. As the 5005 doesn't include all the features I need and I don't need all the features of the SR7007.

Just wondering if anybody has purchased this and if so, what they think of it? Since the the SR6007 won't be released in Australia till the end of October. Although its already been out a few months in other parts of the world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 315 Old 11-06-2012, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought this on Saturday and i'm pretty happy with the features compared to my last budget Sony receiver. The only thing I miss is the fact that the display doesn't show the speakers being used or the type of audio format that is playing. The missus loves the look of it as well.
post #3 of 315 Old 11-06-2012, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Haven't purchased mine yet. Only been out here in Australia around a month. We are currently in the process of renovating the room, so when that's all complete in a week or two I will be able to go out and buy the SR6007. Whilst all the furniture has been moved out of the way, I will have easy access to the back of the hifi cabinet.

Don't mind the porthole display myself. As I never used the display on my old Marantz. i always found it difficult to read as it was a bit too shiny. Especially during the day. Also good to have proper on-screen display overlay. As on my old current Marantz it is locked to 480p and the TV keeps having to switch resolutions, loose the picture and change to a blue 480p screen to display the on-screen information and setup screens. Before switching back to whatever input resolution it was on previously.
post #4 of 315 Old 11-17-2012, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Finally purchased the Marantz sr6007. I am just in the process of connecting the speakers and need to know, When I bi-amp the front left and right speakers,

I am a bit confused on how to setup the speakers in bi-amp mode. Especially since they don't mention which terminals on the spekers are the LF (low freq) and HF (high freq)

From what I can tell from the manual on page 90..

Front Left Speaker Top Post > Surround Back Left + and -
Front Left Speaker Bottom > Front A Left + and -

Front Right Speaker Top > Surround Back Right + and -
Front Right Speaker Bottom > Front A Right + and -

Can we assume the top is the HF and the bottom is the LF terminals?

Therefore Front A terminals are used for the LF and the Surround Back are used for the HF?
post #5 of 315 Old 11-17-2012, 05:15 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked: 1596
Nope .... both sets of AVR speaker posts simply pass the identical full range signal to the speakers so it doesn't matter which pair you connect to either the speaker's top or bottom posts ... which is one of the reasons why there is no gain in using the "bi-amp" feature on an AVR.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #6 of 315 Old 11-19-2012, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

When internet radio is selected it will always automatically start playing the last internet radio station that was played. To stop this press the Enter or Play button to stop playback and return to the main menu. You can also press back to continue listing to the current station and brows the menus.
post #7 of 315 Old 12-02-2012, 11:43 PM

Hi,

I purchased the SR6007 recently and have a few noobie questions/comments smile.gif

My Setup:
SR6007 - Receiver (Latest firmware applied)
Sony BDP-S590 - BluRay Player
ProCinema 800

1. I really love the HDMI control allowing me to watch regular cable TV without having the receiver turned on. Is there a way to have the audio pass through also? I would like the audio go through my speakers, instead of the TV speakers.

2. Have any of you experienced the following problem: When I have HDMI control on, if I select BluRay for my Sony, as soon as the image comes up, the receiver automatically switches to "TV Audio". Basically the I cannot play BluRay having HDMI turned on.

3. When we watch regular Cable-TV (HD signal) just to watch TV (receiver on) we have the volume at 48. (It's like the sound is mute all the way from 0-20). I did do run the Audessy setup.

4. On Saturday when my wife selected HBO (we use DISH) she got the HDCP error. But tonight, it's working smile.gif , not sure why its suddenly working. Perhaps DISH had the show she was selecting as copyrighted. I thought that was weird.
post #8 of 315 Old 12-03-2012, 02:55 AM
585-645-1006

1, HDMI pass through means the audio and video "pass through" the AVR in Standby and on to the TV. If you want the audio through your surround speakers, turn the AVR ON.
2. This is because you have the HDMI(ARC) feature on your TV enabled. Set it to OFF and only use it when needed or better yet, simply connect an optical cable from the TV to the AVR and leave the HDMI(ARC) OFF for good.
3. This is normal. Modern AVRs use a logarithmic volume scale such that audible volume generally doesn't begin until about 20-30db with average TV listening being about 50db and movie/music about 60-65db.
4. HDMI handshake issues with cable/sat boxes are quite common and may present from a firmware update to the box. A better configuration to avoid any such issues is to connect the box HDMI directly to the TV with optical from the box to the AVR.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #9 of 315 Old 12-06-2012, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

I am having trouble accessing the setup menu via the web control interface.

When I open the web control interface the Top Menu is displayed with the two zone buttons. At the bottom it always says [ Installer Locked! ] . Why is this and how do I unlock this option so it shows and allows me to access the "Setup Menu"?
post #10 of 315 Old 12-06-2012, 01:41 PM
585-645-1006

Try resetting the microprocessor.

post #11 of 315 Old 12-07-2012, 03:31 PM

Anyone know what's in the new firmware update that came out today?
post #12 of 315 Old 12-07-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

1, HDMI pass through means the audio and video "pass through" the AVR in Standby and on to the TV. If you want the audio through your surround speakers, turn the AVR ON.
2. This is because you have the HDMI(ARC) feature on your TV enabled. Set it to OFF and only use it when needed or better yet, simply connect an optical cable from the TV to the AVR and leave the HDMI(ARC) OFF for good.
3. This is normal. Modern AVRs use a logarithmic volume scale such that audible volume generally doesn't begin until about 20-30db with average TV listening being about 50db and movie/music about 60-65db.
4. HDMI handshake issues with cable/sat boxes are quite common and may present from a firmware update to the box. A better configuration to avoid any such issues is to connect the box HDMI directly to the TV with optical from the box to the AVR.

Practical advice, except I actually bought this receiver because I missed the receiver on-screen volume overlay from my old one because I didn't pass video through it. That little port hole is so small with this receiver you really need to see what's going on! Especially during setup. So I'd really want to route video through the receiver myself.

I sure would appreciate a little more about point #2- as I had the same problem except when selecting DVR. From what I've learned- HDMI control on the Marantz MUST be on or TV sound won't work (such as, when you use apps built in to the TV). . But why the heck does it pick TV sound when the user selects a Blu-Ray player, or (in my case) a DirecTV HD DVR? Is this a bug? Thanks in advance. John
post #13 of 315 Old 12-07-2012, 04:14 PM

I bet the firmware update is related to the iOS Marantz app that was just updated this week.
post #14 of 315 Old 12-07-2012, 04:23 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldy View Post

Anyone know what's in the new firmware update that came out today?

Pandora fix. http://us.marantz.com/DocumentMaster/us/PressReleases/PandoraProblem-M.pdf

post #15 of 315 Old 12-07-2012, 04:25 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsclarke99 View Post

Practical advice, except I actually bought this receiver because I missed the receiver on-screen volume overlay from my old one because I didn't pass video through it. That little port hole is so small with this receiver you really need to see what's going on! Especially during setup. So I'd really want to route video through the receiver myself.
I sure would appreciate a little more about point #2- as I had the same problem except when selecting DVR. From what I've learned- HDMI control on the Marantz MUST be on or TV sound won't work (such as, when you use apps built in to the TV). . But why the heck does it pick TV sound when the user selects a Blu-Ray player, or (in my case) a DirecTV HD DVR? Is this a bug? Thanks in advance. John

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_100#user_E5

post #16 of 315 Old 12-07-2012, 07:24 PM

I'm a junkie for watching sports on mute and listening to records at the same time.

How can I accomplish this on the marantz sr6007? it seems I either have to have the cbl/sat feed or the phono feed and when phono is connected my TV is blank.

can anyone help me out?
post #17 of 315 Old 12-08-2012, 04:29 PM

mdr33 why not take another video out from your cable box or DirecTV encoder or Tivo etc- component- run that into another input to the TV then select that TV input and whatever you want on the receiver? Component is HD... John
post #18 of 315 Old 12-09-2012, 03:59 AM
585-645-1006

Another suggestion would be to connect the component cable directly to the AVR 9in order to maintain the GUI display to the TV) and then while the Phono source is playing, change the "Video Source" setting (p. 124 OM) to the component video input source as "Video Source" will not work with HDMI inputs.

post #19 of 315 Old 12-11-2012, 12:48 PM

Tried setting up Spotify tonight. It recognizes me and accepts my username/pwd. It even displays the Spotify main screen. When trying to hit an item there like "accounts" or "search" I get all green flashes on my screen. Then it returns to black. After a while it returns to the Network screen where I can start all over by entering Spotify.
Even worse; it forget me and I have to login with accepting terms and conditions again.

It feels to me like a software problem. Trying to update tells me I'm on the latest version. I guess approx a month ago or so. Other Internet stations run smoothly, so I guess my network is OK. FTTH, so speed might not be the issue ;-)

Anyone experienced the same and found a solution already?

Thanks
post #20 of 315 Old 12-11-2012, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by g12345567 View Post

I am having trouble accessing the setup menu via the web control interface.
When I open the web control interface the Top Menu is displayed with the two zone buttons. At the bottom it always says [ Installer Locked! ] . Why is this and how do I unlock this option so it shows and allows me to access the "Setup Menu"?

Worked it out. All I had to do was click on the Marantz SR6007 under media devices in the Network display section. Let windows 7 install whatever it needs. After that just click on the Marantz 6007. Web Controller Interface is displayed and Setup Menu is now accessible from the Top Menu.
post #21 of 315 Old 12-16-2012, 09:32 AM

Hi Guys,

Got the Marantz 6007 yesterday...still havent got the speakers (MA RX6) ..will be coming tommorow...

anyways..

Was trying the reciever....I have the following sources : Blu rayplayer, Local hdmi set top boxes from 2 companies...

First up : I tried the reciever to connect to blu-ray and listen to audio on TV...works well..in both ON as welll as standby...(pass thru)

Next up...I try connecting my set top boxes to Reciever via CAB/SAT and DVD inputs...

Basically I want to be able to watch TV / hear from TV till the time my speakers come....and even after speakers are connected....I want to be able to have the option to listen to normal TV programming from TV speakers / External Speakers......but thats for another day..

When I start my reciever it by default selects TV AUDIO source...and When I select CAB/SAT or DVD source..then it shows ANALOG over the VIDEO/AUDIO source info...

No video or audio from either settop box...

Figured it might be some handshake issue...restarted all 3...swapped inputs....restarted TV.....nothing..

Tried connecting boxes directly to TV...works fine..

Is there any thing that I have missed?

So basically this is working :

BLU RAY PLAYER ==> RECEIVER ==> TV - video and audio on TV..

Nothing on :
Set top box 1 HDMI ==> RECEIVER ==> TV - nothing
Set top box 2 HDMI ==> RECEIVER ==> TV - nothing

Also, I noticed there is a very definite and loud "CLICK" sound whenever the reciever starts from standby to on mode or when I click the SETUP ASSISTANT on the remote...anybody else encounter this?
Can it be ignored?

Thanks for any inputs....
post #22 of 315 Old 12-16-2012, 02:35 PM
585-645-1006

Click sounds are generally normal, although perhaps another 6007 can specifically comment on the loudness level for you. Otherwise, cable/sat boxes often have HDMI handshake issues when connected to an AVR. First try connecting each cable box to EVERY HDMI input to see if one works better than another. If still no joy, you'll have to connect HDMI directly to the TV with optical from the box to the AVR (which is generally what professional installers will do from theh get go as even if the box works without issue originally, it's not uncommon for a firmware update to the box to cause an HDMI handshake issue).

You might also want to try the HDMI HDCP reset procedure listed below ....

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_100#user_L11

post #23 of 315 Old 12-16-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:

Click sounds are generally normal, although perhaps another 6007 can specifically comment on the loudness level for you. Otherwise, cable/sat boxes often have HDMI handshake issues when connected to an AVR. First try connecting each cable box to EVERY HDMI input to see if one works better than another. If still no joy, you'll have to connect HDMI directly to the TV with optical from the box to the AVR (which is generally what professional installers will do from theh get go as even if the box works without issue originally, it's not uncommon for a firmware update to the box to cause an HDMI handshake issue).
You might also want to try the HDMI HDCP reset procedure listed below ....
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_100#user_L11

Thanks jdsmoothie, I will try the HDCP reset procedure and trying all inputs for HDMI today....meanwhile...if I understand the setup you mentioned..

cable/sat --> HDMI --> TV
and
cable/sat --> optical --> AVR

I always will get all VIDEO as per the channel...i.e HD / NON-HD and for audio, if I want to hear through external speakers then turn on the AVR and select Audio Input as Optical In and
if not TURN off AVR and listen through TV...?

This might actually be more practical than having cable/sat - HDMI --> AVR , AVR --> HDMI --> TV as I wont have to turn on the AVR in stand-by mode if I dont want external audio....

Am I thinking correct?
post #24 of 315 Old 12-17-2012, 03:30 AM
585-645-1006

Yes, your thinking is correct. Although note that for an HDMI source connected to the AVR, the 6007 does feature HDMI Standby Passthrough which (when working correctly) will pass an HDMI signal (audio/video) through the AVR while in Standby to the TV. This feature is enabled by setting the HDMI Control setting to ON. It obviously cannot be used in this instance with the cable box presenting with HDMI handshake issues, so the suggested workaround provides for the same feature (ie. can use the TV speakers only without having to turn on the AVR).
ratloko likes this.

post #25 of 315 Old 12-17-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:

Yes, your thinking is correct. Although note that for an HDMI source connected to the AVR, the 6007 does feature HDMI Standby Passthrough which (when working correctly) will pass an HDMI signal (audio/video) through the AVR while in Standby to the TV. This feature is enabled by setting the HDMI Control setting to ON. It obviously cannot be used in this instance with the cable box presenting with HDMI handshake issues, so the suggested workaround provides for the same feature (ie. can use the TV speakers only without having to turn on the AVR).

Okay...

Problem solved...during the initial setup....when it was going through the "input" setup, I setup only the BLU-RAY....since I was just testing...

Then I connected the boxes...and did not go through the "input" setup again....call me dumb or whatever...but I thought that you dont need to tell the machine that "hey I have connected the HDMI....pls check and say yes"....but yeah it did..

Anyways....have now done it....and its working..

Thanks again guys...

In any case, I think I prefer the Digital Out audio to reciever and direct HDMI to TV from Set top box because it gives me flexibility....I know AVR has bypass feature...but even that is not needed.....when I dont need external audio...

okay...so my initial test done....now tommorow...Audyssey and then proper testing of music and movies....will keep you posted...

Thanks again..smile.gif
post #26 of 315 Old 12-29-2012, 04:56 PM

Hello,

After trying a firmware update on my marantz 6007 the receiver seems to be stuck in a continuous loop of updating but will never actually complete the update. I tried a hard reset but nothing works. I'm lost. Has anyone had this problem, or have any advise on how to solve it?

All because I wanted to set up Pandora.

Thanks,
Lucas
post #27 of 315 Old 12-30-2012, 03:51 AM
585-645-1006

Network Reset

First try simply unplugging the unit for a few minutes (soft reset). If still no joy, then try doing a "Network Reset" ... similar to a Microprocessor reset except press/hold the [Preset Channel +] and [Preset Channel -] buttons on the front panel instead while powering the unit ON. This procedure will reset the network card as well as perform a microprocessor reset in the process so ensure to SAVE the config. dat file to a PC using the Web Control function (pp. 97-98) prior to doing this reset so as to enable returning to your old settings much easier.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_100#user_E10

post #28 of 315 Old 01-06-2013, 06:19 AM

I have the sr6007 with a 7.1 setup monitor audio speakers. When I listen to music only right and left speakers play. Is there any sound listening mode thru airplay (or if I get a network storage device) that can do a 2.1 type sound play. I really just want my subwoofer to be utilized when I play music. I would prefer just right left and sub. But maybe that sound mode doesn't exist and the option is all speakers or just right left.
post #29 of 315 Old 01-06-2013, 07:57 AM
585-645-1006

With the FL/FR speakers both set to Small there should be no proble

post #30 of 315 Old 01-07-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:

Network Reset
First try simply unplugging the unit for a few minutes (soft reset). If still no joy, then try doing a "Network Reset" ... similar to a Microprocessor reset except press/hold the [Preset Channel +] and [Preset Channel -] buttons on the front panel instead while powering the unit ON. This procedure will reset the network card as well as perform a microprocessor reset in the process so ensure to SAVE the config. dat file to a PC using the Web Control function (pp. 97-98) prior to doing this reset so as to enable returning to your old settings much easier.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_100#user_E10

Thanks so much. This worked!

Lucas
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr6007 Home Theater Av Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page