Emotiva XMC-1 coming soon (please limit posts to technical issues) - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 535Likes

post #361 of 1211 Old 06-10-2014, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Jade Design website is also down...Something is afoot in Tennesee.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1211 Old 06-10-2014, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 140

The AVS Forum site will be down for a software update tomorrow from 11am to 4pm EST.  I know this because they have a message saying so at the top of the forum page.  Emotiva could learn a lot from AVS.

post #363 of 1211 Old 06-10-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1437 Post(s)
Liked: 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescale View Post

Both emotiva.com and xmc-1.com are down for me. Hm...

Still there for me as at the time of this post. Still saying "volume shipping' in June.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #364 of 1211 Old 06-10-2014, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Still there for me as at the time of this post. Still saying "volume shipping' in June.
Both sites are now down for me also. Your browser must be loading a cached page.
post #365 of 1211 Old 06-10-2014, 06:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

Both sites are now down for me also. Your browser must be loading a cached page.

XMC-1 just came up for me, and I cleared my cache a few hours before.

There may be something going on technically for some folks, since I have issues getting on an unrelated website from a Utah-based software company.

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

post #366 of 1211 Old 06-10-2014, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 360
in case you have not heard, AVS is moving back to v Bulletin tomorrow: see link in my sig

it will be like coming home again smile.gif
Bluescale likes this.
post #367 of 1211 Old 06-10-2014, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Emotiva just changed the look and feel of their main site. It's sluggish, and the xmc-1.com site is still down.
post #368 of 1211 Old 06-10-2014, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Yay we have "E-Proved" coming!!!!!!!!!!!!

somebody said something about cat food.
post #369 of 1211 Old 06-11-2014, 01:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Well we know know... nice looking new site... but a bit sluggish...

A certain irony in this extract from the new site... (my bolding)

Why E-Proved?
Because we don’t make all the products you need to create a complete home theater system. Blu-ray players, for example. Projectors. Nor are you likely to see products like this from Emotiva in the future, because there are already stellar examples out there, and we don’t feel that an Emotiva-branded product has enough to add to the market.

post #370 of 1211 Old 06-12-2014, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Bump for June volume shipping.
post #371 of 1211 Old 06-12-2014, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Emotiva web says XMC-1 coming soon and XMC-1 out of stock.
Which one is true?
Coming soon to me means it has not been built yet and out of stock to me means some units have been sold and now they are out of inventory.
So which one is true?
post #372 of 1211 Old 06-12-2014, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Anybody has been contacted yet by Emo to pay for their XMC-1 order?
post #373 of 1211 Old 06-12-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usxplong View Post
Oink, flap.... oink flap...

Last edited by kbarnes701; 06-12-2014 at 11:48 AM.
post #374 of 1211 Old 06-12-2014, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Still no news of anybody receiving one or even being contacted for payment. The only recent news is the Millionaires Club that you can join for $100,000.00 or the E-club for $50.00.
post #375 of 1211 Old 06-13-2014, 03:03 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Emotiva web says XMC-1 coming soon and XMC-1 out of stock.
Which one is true?
Coming soon to me means it has not been built yet and out of stock to me means some units have been sold and now they are out of inventory.
So which one is true?
They have been saying it is coming soon for a long time now. Seems like more than a few years. They claimed that there were units shipped in April and May, with volume shipping in June, yet there is no evidence of any actually being delivered to anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBadge View Post
Still no news of anybody receiving one or even being contacted for payment. The only recent news is the Millionaires Club that you can join for $100,000.00 or the E-club for $50.00.
What a waste of $100,000.00! Why would someone spend that sort of money on a company that has repeatedly failed to deliver its promised flagship product over the course of several years, as well as, other promised products i.e. the 3D upgrade board on the UMC-1? Perhaps they are trying to entice Donald Trump?
It is also interesting that they won't even accept a trade-in on the UMC-1?

Last edited by xcapri79; 06-13-2014 at 03:12 AM.
post #376 of 1211 Old 06-13-2014, 04:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well here we are halfway through the month of "volume shipping" and not a single unit has, so far, been shipped. The next Emo road show event takes place in a week's time and it could be fun to be there to ask Big Dan himself to explain the deafening silence surrounding the XMC-1 since April, and exactly what technical issues are still preventing its release.

The big technical question, IMO, is the precise nature of Dirac and its implementation in the unit. Flavio on the Lounge site is still talking about Dirac Live in relation to the XMC-1 and when I asked him straightforwardly there if "Dirac LE" (the version Emo are promoting as being inside the XMC-1) is the same as Dirac Live, he failed to reply.

Given that, from a technical standpoint, Dirac is the sole remarkable feature in this unit, it is vitally important that it is groundbreaking and performs better than Audyssey's XT32, the current standard-bearer for automated REQ in affordable AVRs and processors. Indeed, on the Lounge Flavio went to great lengths to compare the mixed phase benefits of Dirac Live against XT32's minimum phase solution, hence my (unanswered) question to him as to whether Dirac Live and Dirac LE are essentially similar.

It seems incredible to me, in the literal sense that I do not believe it, that units are already in the hands of customers ("some shipped in April" and "more shipped in May" according to Emotiva themselves) and yet they cannot tell us precisely what the nature of their version of Dirac is, how it works, why it is better than XT32 and so on. If units have been shipped, then Emotiva must know how Dirac works in them.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, Denon's upcoming Atmos-enabled units have been dramatically announced by the French embargo-busting AV press who reveal that they will be "available in September", complete with tech specs that put the XMC-1 to shame in almost every critical area. And at lower prices to boot.

However, while Emotiva have been uncharacteristically silent about the XMC-1 and its state of (un)readiness, they have not been sitting on their hands. Far from it - they have found the time and energy to oversee the redesign of their website and to introduce the E-Club where people pay for the privilege of discounted prices, and the Millionaire's Club where the ponying-up of 100 grand brings you all the newly-released Emo products for the next 10 years. These will, presumably include the much heralded turntable, tube amp series, high-end passive loudspeakers, the DSP-controlled subwoofers and, hopefully, the XMC-1, all of which were announced a long time ago in a galaxy not too far from Nashville. Worth 100 grand of anyone's money huh? Oh, and dinner with Big Dan too - heaven.

post #377 of 1211 Old 06-13-2014, 04:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcapri79 View Post

What a waste of $100,000.00! Why would someone spend that sort of money on a company that has repeatedly failed to deliver its promised flagship product over the course of several years, as well as, other promised products i.e. the 3D upgrade board on the UMC-1? Perhaps they are trying to entice Donald Trump?
It is also interesting that they won't even accept a trade-in on the UMC-1?
It doesn't even make sense to me. If Emo bring out 5 new amplifiers in a particular year, the 'millionaire member' will get all five? Why? What's he going to do with 5 new amplifiers? Some with two channels, some with 5, some with great gobs of power, some with little, some monoblocks and so on?

post #378 of 1211 Old 06-13-2014, 04:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Andrew Robinson over at the Lounge is saying that people don't need the XMC-1 anyway...

"The honest to goodness reality is this; for most folks (myself included) the UMC-200 is all the AV preamp one needs."

He also let slip a comment about the XMC-1 being "released"....

"... there are also a number of people anxiously awaiting its (the XMC-1) release..."

That's odd considering units have already been released "in April" and "in May". Andrew did go on to explain what he meant when asked by a member if he had made a "Freudian slip" <sic>:

"As in when the XMC-1 is released to them, where ever their place in line may be."

post #379 of 1211 Old 06-13-2014, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
It doesn't even make sense to me. If Emo bring out 5 new amplifiers in a particular year, the 'millionaire member' will get all five? Why? What's he going to do with 5 new amplifiers? Some with two channels, some with 5, some with great gobs of power, some with little, some monoblocks and so on?
This would be great for Atmos users.
post #380 of 1211 Old 06-13-2014, 05:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post
This would be great for Atmos users.
LOL. I guess so, although I already have all the (Emotiva) amps I need for my upcoming Atmos system fortunately. I'll only be adding two additional Height speakers, so it's not a huge task here.

What do you make of Andrew R's comments over at the Lounge?

Last edited by kbarnes701; 06-13-2014 at 05:22 AM.
post #381 of 1211 Old 06-13-2014, 05:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 460
I see the "Become a part of the Emotiva Millionaire’s Club" as a bad sign. If Emotiva needs to do this to raise capital it is troubling IMO. It reminds me of av123 in that the owner needed to get "creative" to raise capital. I'm in no way shape or form comparing Emotiva's owner to av123's owner. My point is that if a company like Emotiva needs to start a "Millionaire’s Club" to raise capital it isn't good news.

The other thing is who is actually going to fork over $100K to get the benefits listed below?

You’ll have input on upcoming products, before they are released
Every product you receive will be out of a special batch of “First 10” products, with special engraved lettering
You’ll have access to Dan, Lonnie, and Emotiva’s top staff at annual Millionaire’s Club dinners
Any additional products you purchase will be discounted at 50%, rather than the 10% e-Club level
And, of course, you will receive one of each product we introduce, for a decade (or, in the case of monoblock amps and speakers, you’ll receive 2 of them).

https://emotiva.com/products/e-club/millionaires-club

I can think of many better ways to invest $100K. I don't see any mention of use of the new Bentley or stays at the new Emotiva McMansion .

Bill

kbarnes701 likes this.

, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.

Last edited by Bill Mac; 06-13-2014 at 05:35 AM.
post #382 of 1211 Old 06-13-2014, 06:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^^

I think it might be a stretch too far to link the Millionaire's Club to the possibility that Emo are desperate for a capital injection. They could be rolling in cash and still think it's a good idea to raise another million for effectively doing nothing. But it's still a crackpot idea IMO - especially as it has led to all sorts of speculation that they are in financial difficulties. Maybe, as someone suggested over at the Lounge, it's meant to detract from the failure to launch the XMC-1? Seems to be doing that too to some extent.

post #383 of 1211 Old 06-13-2014, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
LOL. I guess so, although I already have all the (Emotiva) amps I need for my upcoming Atmos system fortunately. I'll only be adding two additional Height speakers, so it's not a huge task here.

What do you make of Andrew R's comments over at the Lounge?
I think the UMC-200 is all that most users NEED, although it is probably not all most WANT. I am not referring to the hard core users, just the average user. IMO room correction is about the only feature that is not available in other system components, therefore most features are redundant.
I admit to being a dinosaur and do not get excited about the latest and greatest things to hit the market. I do not own a smart phone. I am retired and if I want to play with a toy I use my PC and not a phone.

Honestly, I think EMO is in deep dung if they are serious about the EMC. It sounds like a scam to raise quick cash.
Bill Mac likes this.
post #384 of 1211 Old 06-13-2014, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
^^^^

I think it might be a stretch too far to link the Millionaire's Club to the possibility that Emo are desperate for a capital injection. They could be rolling in cash and still think it's a good idea to raise another million for effectively doing nothing. But it's still a crackpot idea IMO - especially as it has led to all sorts of speculation that they are in financial difficulties. Maybe, as someone suggested over at the Lounge, it's meant to detract from the failure to launch the XMC-1? Seems to be doing that too to some extent.
Detraction is very popular with the politicians in the USA ( 1 especially). MaybeEMO got the idea from our news media.
kbarnes701 likes this.
post #385 of 1211 Old 06-13-2014, 06:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post
I think the UMC-200 is all that most users NEED, although it is probably not all most WANT. I am not referring to the hard core users, just the average user. IMO room correction is about the only feature that is not available in other system components, therefore most features are redundant.
I admit to being a dinosaur and do not get excited about the latest and greatest things to hit the market. I do not own a smart phone. I am retired and if I want to play with a toy I use my PC and not a phone.

Honestly, I think EMO is in deep dung if they are serious about the EMC. It sounds like a scam to raise quick cash.
As I just said to Bill, the Millionaire's Club is certainly leading many people to the conclusion you yourself just put forward. I don't personally see such a connection but I can easily see why it has caused the speculation that it has.

Mostly agree with you about the UMC-200 - just seemed a funny thing for Andrew to say - he's hardly a great sales ambassador for the XMC-1 is he!

post #386 of 1211 Old 06-13-2014, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Mr. Barnes,

I haven't been here in ages and just stopped by to browse and saw this thread. I do own Emotiva equipment and am aware of the long delays over 5 years or so for the XMC-1. Just wanted to make a comment about your posts. You really seam to have a big time chip on your shoulder over this. I've had a lot more issues with Microsoft and their products and also my Honda auto that I own over the last 5 years than with my Emotiva equipment. Sure I would like to see the XMC-1 finally appear too, but I hope you don't get a ulcer getting so worked up over this. Yeah, they have made some mistakes but I don't really think they were intentional. They are not the only firm that have had some very serious issues with developing a pre-pro.

Just my honest thoughts.
RR6
thrillcat likes this.
post #387 of 1211 Old 06-13-2014, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
I see the "Become a part of the Emotiva Millionaire’s Club" as a bad sign. If Emotiva needs to do this to raise capital it is troubling IMO. It reminds me of av123 in that the owner needed to get "creative" to raise capital. I'm in no way shape or form comparing Emotiva's owner to av123's owner. My point is that if a company like Emotiva needs to start a "Millionaire’s Club" to raise capital it isn't good news.

The other thing is who is actually going to fork over $100K to get the benefits listed below?

You’ll have input on upcoming products, before they are released
Every product you receive will be out of a special batch of “First 10” products, with special engraved lettering
You’ll have access to Dan, Lonnie, and Emotiva’s top staff at annual Millionaire’s Club dinners
Any additional products you purchase will be discounted at 50%, rather than the 10% e-Club level
And, of course, you will receive one of each product we introduce, for a decade (or, in the case of monoblock amps and speakers, you’ll receive 2 of them).

https://emotiva.com/products/e-club/millionaires-club

I can think of many better ways to invest $100K. I don't see any mention of use of the new Bentley or stays at the new Emotiva McMansion .

Bill

Crowd funding from the 1%.
Too rich for my blood.

- Rich
xcapri79 likes this.

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #388 of 1211 Old 06-13-2014, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quick mention of XMC-1 to stay on topic.

When I received the email from Emotiva about a new club right before Memorial Day along with news about the holiday 10% discount I assumed that eventually I could get my 10% off on the new amp I want to buy from them without having to pay $45 a year for the privilege. Nice 5% discount on a $1000 purchase. Millionaires Club - I keep reading that just to make sure I am not dreaming, what a joke. Repurchase program means a lot of "certified" products coming on the market later to compete with their new and now they are getting in the retail business.

All I can say is that given the latest marketing moves coupled with the XMC-1 issues I predict in a few years there are going to be some MBA classes studying what not to do when you have a successful company and then go astray of your mission. I speak from experience, success can lead to some poor decisions regarding the future course of your company - like moving production to the US - sometimes it is better to just keep doing what you do well and learn to be happy with where you are in the marketplace.

These moves do not look like the future is a good one for Emotiva. The amp I was getting ready to buy from them next week may not happen - I would rather spend more and feel like that company may be in business 2 or 3 years from now in case I need them. Of course as mentioned above they have done a great job of getting us off topic.
xcapri79 and kbarnes701 like this.
post #389 of 1211 Old 06-13-2014, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Quick mention of XMC-1 to stay on topic.

When I received the email from Emotiva about a new club right before Memorial Day along with news about the holiday 10% discount I assumed that eventually I could get my 10% off on the new amp I want to buy from them without having to pay $45 a year for the privilege. Nice 5% discount on a $1000 purchase. Millionaires Club - I keep reading that just to make sure I am not dreaming, what a joke. Repurchase program means a lot of "certified" products coming on the market later to compete with their new and now they are getting in the retail business.

All I can say is that given the latest marketing moves coupled with the XMC-1 issues I predict in a few years there are going to be some MBA classes studying what not to do when you have a successful company and then go astray of your mission. I speak from experience, success can lead to some poor decisions regarding the future course of your company - like moving production to the US - sometimes it is better to just keep doing what you do well and learn to be happy with where you are in the marketplace.

These moves do not look like the future is a good one for Emotiva. The amp I was getting ready to buy from them next week may not happen - I would rather spend more and feel like that company may be in business 2 or 3 years from now in case I need them. Of course as mentioned above they have done a great job of getting us off topic.
I actually give them credit. If they can shyster a million dollars out of 10 people without a mask and probably have to give back 5%, I call that genius.
xcapri79 likes this.

My System

My dedicated theater room build. 

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 06-13-2014 at 07:00 AM.
post #390 of 1211 Old 06-13-2014, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
I actually give them credit. If they can shyster a million dollars out of 10 people and probably have to give back 5% without a mask, I call that genius.
SHYSTER - well said. Next up ethics followed by morals. Not who I want to do business with going forward.
xcapri79 likes this.
Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page