Emotiva XMC-1 coming soon (please limit posts to technical issues) - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 536Likes

post #541 of 1211 Old 06-21-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Liked: 470
XMC news are in:
http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/post/646550

Sounds like it will be months before it will be released. No custom EQ curve? Definitely a no-go.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1211 Old 06-21-2014, 11:08 AM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 80
"All the same time and freq an filters but it allows for a preset curve."

That answer's about as clear as mud, though I wouldn't be surprised if the Emo had one or more fixed curves, only.

Don't expect Unison to appear on this, or any other Emo for a long time, if ever.

Last edited by RUR; 06-21-2014 at 11:10 AM.
post #543 of 1211 Old 06-21-2014, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
XMC news are in:
http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/post/646550

Sounds like it will be months before it will be released. No custom EQ curve? Definitely a no-go.
No surprises. "Volume shipping in June" has become a voluminous joke. Any mention of delivery dates from Emotiva are seldom proven to be correct. Perhaps some of the die-hard fans are beginning to see the light with this continuing debacle.
post #544 of 1211 Old 06-21-2014, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1675 Post(s)
Liked: 1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post
Does Emotiva even have a beta testing program? I would think not since they told me they didn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Apparently they do, but their unusual name for their beta program ("shipping") could make one think otherwise.
Quote:
I'll take that as a 'guess' on your part.
Quote:
Was a guess until Big Dan confirmed "pilot pieces out being tested" on the podcast. No longer in question whether the XMC-1 is going through beta.
Quote:
There can be all kinds of reason(s) for the delay in shipping, which none of you or I can even begin to guess.
Quote:
Having watched Theta struggle for a couple years, from announcing a room correction upgrade to actually getting Dirac into their pre-pro, I have just one guess about what is currently delaying the XMC-1.
From Emofest:

"Status-Unit in field being beta tested. Dirac has a few things to iron out. Unit is fully functional. When pro testers are done, a limited release to public is next. Timing TBD for public testers post release as that depends on the feedback from that group."

Sanjay
post #545 of 1211 Old 06-21-2014, 11:45 AM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
That's true, but it's already been suggested that DTS-UHD might be available as a firmware update to the upcoming Atmos receivers.
Hope so but like many I don't expect more than what it ships with having been let down by many ce's over the years . A lot of processing power will be needed so I don't expect the lower levels to benefit as usual .

On the other side of the coin the xmc1 will be seen as upgradeable - of course not from this thread I find it wryly amusing that the hdmi board has already been upgraded from 1.4a to 1.4b and it's not even here yet ; but Ime not made of money and if this is a success the confirmation of the rmc1 may well be better timed when things settle The prices down here in Aus for a pre pro are generally extortionate I should add
post #546 of 1211 Old 06-21-2014, 12:07 PM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

"Is the preset target curve user-adjustable?

No but full Dirac is $100 more."

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/post/646594/thread

Well, that's encouraging, and $100 is cheap, IMO.
carfanm likes this.
post #547 of 1211 Old 06-21-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post
Well, that's encouraging, and $100 is cheap, IMO.
I'll remain skeptical about the $100 for the moment, considering they just confirmed that beta units were sent to "pro testers" in April, while their site still claims "The first Emotiva XMC-1s shipped in April 2014. More are due in May, with volume shipping in June."

Sanjay
post #548 of 1211 Old 06-21-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
I'll remain skeptical about the $100 for the moment, considering they just confirmed that beta units were sent to "pro testers" in April, while their site still claims "The first Emotiva XMC-1s shipped in April 2014. More are due in May, with volume shipping in June."
If Dirac LE only allows a pre-set target curve, $100 extra for full Dirac RCS capability seems far too cheap, as the next pre/pro with eight channel Dirac is the $20K Datasat.

Audio Gear: Sherwood R-972 (Trinnov Altitude - coming soon!), NAD M27 amp
Display: Panasonic VT50, Lumagen Radiance Mini
Misc.: Oppo 103, Apple TV, JRiver ID NUC
PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds; HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

Last edited by sdrucker; 06-21-2014 at 12:46 PM.
post #549 of 1211 Old 06-21-2014, 01:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
If Dirac LE only allows a pre-set target curve, $100 extra for full Dirac RCS capability seems far too cheap...
I should have been clearer. It isn't the $100 itself that I'm taking with a grain of salt, it's what they say in general. They just admitted that they decided to tell the public that "XMC-1s shipped in April" when in reality they had only sent out beta units for testing. That's not a mistake, it's deliberate.

Sanjay
post #550 of 1211 Old 06-21-2014, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Hmm, I wonder if they'll have the XMC-1 ready in October when they come to Dallas for their road show. It's possible, but who knows with the way things are going. Clearly volume shipping isn't coming for a couple of months I bet. Glad I went ahead and ordered a Denon x4000 from AVS, I just wish I had made that decision earlier on Monday and then I'd have it already, instead I have to wait until this coming Monday for it to arrive.

Someone mentioned on their forum that the Atlanta show is in a small room and it's way too crowded to get a good look at the gear, so that sucks. If the Dallas show is somewhere I don't mind driving to I'll go, but otherwise I might not bother. I'm considering getting an XSP-1 for my family room setup though, if the discounts at the show are good it might be worth it to attend.
post #551 of 1211 Old 06-21-2014, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I'm glad to see that they have been working on a higher end model in parallel. I don't have a need for the XMC-1 and will wait for other models from them and potentially other companies. I do believe that bringing production under their roof in TN will help accelerate things. Working cross-ocean has major challenges that add a lot of time. If Emotiva keeps the team together that they have (w/strong partnerships with MDS and DIRAC), good things will come. I also like that the full version of DIRAC is not much more. If the $100 is correct, it's a no-brainer.
post #552 of 1211 Old 06-21-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
From Emofest:

"Status-Unit in field being beta tested. Dirac has a few things to iron out. Unit is fully functional. When pro testers are done, a limited release to public is next. Timing TBD for public testers post release as that depends on the feedback from that group."
Yes, I saw this on the Emotiva Lounge this morning which I have not been on for several weeks. So, I stand corrected and an apology is in order to you, sir.

OPPO BETA GROUP

Last edited by Perpendicular; 06-21-2014 at 01:53 PM. Reason: spelling error
post #553 of 1211 Old 06-21-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2939 Post(s)
Liked: 2467
Quote:
From Emofest:

It has to be months away from release. They seem to be in an alpha testing phase right now ("pro testers") rather than a beta. So they have to wait for reports from the alpha testers, then fix any issues, then put it out for beta test (maybe the "limited release" they mention) and then iron out any further issues and then finally release it. So it seems it will be released after the Denon, Marantz and Onkyo next-generation units (which offer far more and cost less in many cases). My summary: it's dead in the water. Some Emo fanboys will buy it, tolerate its shortcomings, swear that it "sounds so much better than a Denon X7200") and Emo will call it a success. I have to say that this all seemed so predictable...
post #554 of 1211 Old 06-21-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
That claim must now be seen as a downright untruth though, surely?
post #555 of 1211 Old 06-21-2014, 02:08 PM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quote:
Oh, I'm pretty sure I'm as skeptical as you are, Sanjay.
post #556 of 1211 Old 06-21-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I should have been clearer. It isn't the $100 itself that I'm taking with a grain of salt, it's what they say in general. They just admitted that they decided to tell the public that "XMC-1s shipped in April" when in reality they had only sent out beta units for testing. That's not a mistake, it's deliberate.
Quite. So how can anyone now believe anything they say about this unit?
post #557 of 1211 Old 06-21-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Emotiva XMC-1 coming soon (please limit posts to technical issues)

Well, emigrant wasn't bad. It was my first time at the Ritz, nice place. They had three rooms: a 2ch room with laptop>DAC>xmc-1>xpa-1s>Polk flagship speakers. An HT room with their old speakers, multichannel amps and xmc-1, projector and the food room with airmotive/stealth speakers playing via laptop, and good grub. All their amps and processors were displayed in the hallway. Throw in a couple of hot chicks amongst the fogies and it wasn't bad (seriously, only two. But that was two more than I expected).

The music room sounded really good. That was the first time I'd heard those speakers.

HT room sounded great as well with the few movie clips shown. They took us through some of the functionality of the xmc-1, though I missed some of the demo. A few things I noted were:

11 band eq per speaker
Adj q that changes w/freq
Internal test tone generator
There's a bug w/ Dirac they're working on with trying to get it into the xmc-1
Different eq per input
Digital (optical, coax, Hdmi) to zone 2, but not a separate Hdmi source from main zone.

I asked when it'd be released..."soon"
"This year?"
"Soon is all I know."

So the manual setup looks to have lots of options, despite what Dirac does. Missed the Dirac explanation in the music room unfortunately.

Here's a few pics...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by ambesolman; 06-21-2014 at 02:11 PM. Reason: lhhh
post #558 of 1211 Old 06-21-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Oh, I'm pretty sure I'm as skeptical as you are, Sanjay.
Does anyone really think that Dirac will licence their full version for $100 when, as Stuart points out above, the next unit up from the XMC-1 to have full Dirac is $20,000??!!
post #559 of 1211 Old 06-21-2014, 02:13 PM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Adj q that changes w/freq
Q is fixed for each band?
post #560 of 1211 Old 06-21-2014, 02:20 PM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
Does anyone really think that Dirac will licence their full version for $100 when, as Stuart points out above, the next unit up from the XMC-1 to have full Dirac is $20,000??!!
As I've said before, Keith, if they provide full Dirac capability for any reasonable price, I think it would be terrific. Even if it's an additional $800, it's still ~$15K less than the next available processor with Dirac.
post #561 of 1211 Old 06-21-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Q is fixed for each band?

No it's adjustable.

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still 👎
post #562 of 1211 Old 06-21-2014, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
That's true, but it's already been suggested that DTS-UHD might be available as a firmware update to the upcoming Atmos receivers.
That would be great if that occurs although if purchasing one of these units I would plan on such an upgrade as being an unexpected and delightful bonus rather than a guarantee.
post #563 of 1211 Old 06-21-2014, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
My summary: it's dead in the water. Some Emo fanboys will buy it, tolerate its shortcomings, swear that it "sounds so much better than a Denon X7200") and Emo will call it a success. I have to say that this all seemed so predictable...
Please, give us your opinion again. We haven't heard it 15x daily for the last 6 months. Don't hold back, let us know what you really think. And don't forget to talk in length about Atmos and Denon. Again. And again. And again.
Perpendicular and carfanm like this.
post #564 of 1211 Old 06-21-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Thanks ambesolman! The photos of the XMC-1 look great. Is there a way to turn the lights down or off on the front display? I would find them a bit bright in a dark room while watching...

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #565 of 1211 Old 06-21-2014, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:
This Wikipedia article would fit the described circumstances: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lie
xcapri79, kbarnes701 and LPBadge like this.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #566 of 1211 Old 06-21-2014, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks ambesolman! The photos of the XMC-1 look great. Is there a way to turn the lights down or off on the front display? I would find them a bit bright in a dark room while watching...

Not sure, forgot to ask about that

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still 👎
post #567 of 1211 Old 06-21-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
As I've said before, Keith, if they provide full Dirac capability for any reasonable price, I think it would be terrific. Even if it's an additional $800, it's still ~$15K less than the next available processor with Dirac.
Absolutely. I just don't quite understand Dirac's thinking on it. If they can sell to the 20k market successfully, why on earth devalue their currency by offering their product in something like the XMC-1, and for $800? Datasat must be cockahoop. Not.
post #568 of 1211 Old 06-21-2014, 03:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
Please, give us your opinion again. We haven't heard it 15x daily for the last 6 months. Don't hold back, let us know what you really think. And don't forget to talk in length about Atmos and Denon. Again. And again. And again.
Yeah, I can imagine that XMC-1 fanboys really don't want to hear about genuine innovation.
xcapri79 likes this.
post #569 of 1211 Old 06-21-2014, 04:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
This Wikipedia article would fit the described circumstances: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lie
Or maybe it's $100 per use of the custom target curve editor . Or calibration file generated and processed with Dirac filters. IIRC for the XMC-1 version, doesn't the actual processing get done on Dirac's servers, with a user specific DL to that person's DSP. Subscription model, anyone?
LPBadge likes this.
post #570 of 1211 Old 06-21-2014, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 36
This is from KeithL of Emotiva on what the DIRAC functionality is that comes w/the XMC and what the $99 extra buys:

[quote]Here's the latest about Dirac....

This is the latest information as of Friday - anything you may hear from Big Dan in Atlanta supersedes it

The XMC-1 will come with a version of Dirac Live that will do its thing just like the full version,
BUT WILL BE LIMITED TO ONE PRESET ROOM TARGET CURVE AND ONE RESULT CURVE.
* This version comes with the XMC-1 - at no additional cost.
* You will only be able to use this version with the XMC-1 - not with other devices or as standalone software.
* It comes with a single preset target curve - you can't change the target curve and you can't add or create other target curves.
* It uses a single room result curve - you get one "result" when you run it, which you can use or not.
(If you run it again, the new results will replace the original results, which will be discarded; you can't save multiple result curves and pick between them.)

There will be an "upgrade version" available - for $99 (latest info there - as of yesterday)
* You will still only be able to use it with the XMC-1 - and not with other devices or as standalone software.
(It is pretty much the full version - only "locked" to only work with the XMC-1.)
* This version WILL allow you to edit or create multiple target curves.
* This version WILL allow you to save multiple result curves and choose between them.
(You can run multiple times with the same target curve, but with different equipment or microphone placements; and/or you can create and run with different target curves.)

You will be able to run the XMC-1 with the "full, commercial" version of Dirac Live (which will list it as a "supported device".)
* The full commercial version WILL run as standalone computer software.
* The XMC-1 will be listed as a "supported device".[quote]

KeithB - I always enjoy your positive outlook about all related to the XMC.
RichB, RUR, kbarnes701 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by carfanm; 06-21-2014 at 04:06 PM. Reason: changed formating
Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors