Emotiva XMC-1 coming soon (please limit posts to technical issues) - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 533Likes

post #721 of 1211 Old 06-26-2014, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
Technical question regarding the XMC-1.

I see that there are XLR and RCA outputs. I assume this mean the pre/pro is completely balanced design? How does the balanced circuit design differ from the normal AVR that's got just RCA outputs? Is the balanced approach better?
Sometimes balanced is better at avoiding electrical interference, especially for long cable runs. Usually, there's no difference. There shouldn't be any kind of subtle difference in sound quality. Usually, nicer pre-pros and separate amps offer balanced.

In regards to whether the XMC-1 is "fully balanced," I'm not sure. They said that about the XSP-1, but not the XMC-1, so maybe not. I'd expect the XMC-1's other features, like Dirac, to far outweigh tiny benefits from a fully balanced design, anyway.

Last edited by rcohen; 06-26-2014 at 07:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1211 Old 06-26-2014, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
Sometimes balanced is better at avoiding electrical interference, especially for long cable runs. Usually, there's no difference. There shouldn't be any kind of subtle difference in sound quality. Usually, nicer pre-pros and separate amps offer balanced.
A good example would be if you use powered speakers.
I would run xlr to those vs RCAs.

But if the preamp is right above the amp, RCAs are fine.

The ends are also designed (locking ones) to not accidentally get pulled out vs RCAs.
(The biggest benefit IMHO)
post #723 of 1211 Old 06-26-2014, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Is XMC-1 released yet?
I am confused as some talk about very specific items.
post #724 of 1211 Old 06-26-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 414
No, and until it finally is, no one knows what it will be capable or incapable of.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #725 of 1211 Old 06-26-2014, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Steve,

I'll answer your questions from the best of my knowledge, which may be outdated.
Quote:
I see that there are XLR and RCA outputs. I assume this mean the pre/pro is completely balanced design? How does the balanced circuit design differ from the normal AVR that's got just RCA outputs? Is the balanced approach better?

As I recall, the 2 channel portion is fully balanced, and perhaps the FR/FL of multichannel - but don't hold me to that last part. As others have noted, fully balanced is typically lower noise floor.

Quote:
There are two sub outputs, does it mean it can independently setup each sub (i.e. level and distance) then combine them together for a combined level and distance? Is the crossover just one frequency for all channels are independently set for each channel? What is the maximum V rms for the sub RCA and XLR outputs?

As of Sept. '13, the 2 sub outs are treated as distinct and separate channels in all ways except that you can only set an x-over slope of 1 value for both. All other aspects are independent.

Quote:
The back of the panel also has USB (also on the front panel) port and Ethernet port. Can the pre/pro be connected to the PC via USB and act as DAC? With the Ethernet port, will it be able to stream tunes from phone/tablet/NAS? Does it support DLNA 1.5, Spotify connect, gapless playback? Is there a web interface to control the pre/pro or app on iTunes/Play store? Does it do AirPlay?

Initially, it sounds like it won't be initially be able to take data from a networked HD on your network, but the hardware is capable and they claim it's a matter of software development & that they are working on it "for the future". There is an input on the front that is reported to be able to take inputs from an iPod (so I assume iPhone and other smart phones), so I support you could stream from a phone/tablet into that. They claim that smart phone apps for it will be available when app compliance testing is done.

Quote:
There is a headphone output at the front. Not sure if it's 1/4"or 1/8" connection. What's the output impedance, power rating at nominal impedance rating? Will it be good enough to drive an Audeze LCD3 or Hifiman LE6 headphone?
As of Sept. '13, the headphone amp is the same as that in the XSP-1. I am not into headphones, so I never looked into its specs but you may be able to find them or find someone who can comment about the XSP-1's headphone amps' ability to drive your cans of interest.

Hopefully that helps.
post #726 of 1211 Old 06-26-2014, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post
No, and until it finally is, no one knows what it will be capable or incapable of.
Oh, I think we can be pretty sure it won't have Dolby Atmos, and that highlights the issue of what troubles this unit. Onkyo, and now Denon and Marantz have announced models with Atmos. Emotiva, trying mightily, couldn't get the XMC released before all of these announcements from competitors of the electronic dollar. Now the dollars available for the XMC, whenever it does come out, will be fewer, as you'll be able to get the latest bells and whistles plus Atmos for considerably less than the XMC price tag. Hardcore Emo fans will not be swayed, but your typical consumer trying to save some coin, and that's most of us, might well look to Denon or Onkyo.

No doubt it's why Emotiva has come up with their club membership deal of 20% off.
post #727 of 1211 Old 06-26-2014, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post
Oh, I think we can be pretty sure it won't have Dolby Atmos, and that highlights the issue of what troubles this unit. Onkyo, and now Denon and Marantz have announced models with Atmos. Emotiva, trying mightily, couldn't get the XMC released before all of these announcements from competitors of the electronic dollar. Now the dollars available for the XMC, whenever it does come out, will be fewer, as you'll be able to get the latest bells and whistles plus Atmos for considerably less than the XMC price tag. Hardcore Emo fans will not be swayed, but your typical consumer trying to save some coin, and that's most of us, might well look to Denon or Onkyo.

No doubt it's why Emotiva has come up with their club membership deal of 20% off.
That 20% off is for July only, the club is normally just 10% off. And there's no way that the XMC-1 will be released in July if they don't have Dirac running on it yet. They'll want their testers to pound on it for at least a month once Dirac is running.

Download my IR hex codes for the Denon AVR-4810ci and other Denon receivers here.
For Logitech Harmony support, ask Logitech for the Denon receiver in the account kmickunas.

post #728 of 1211 Old 06-28-2014, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Is Dirac running, is it not running yet? I know people have theorized based on what's happening at the road shows, but nobody really knows for sure. The point remains, though, that Emotiva will sell fewer XMC units now that Atmos is coming out.
post #729 of 1211 Old 06-28-2014, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 608
According to what was said on the road show, Dirac is what's delaying release. If it was running, they would have demonstrated it at the roadshow, but they couldn't.
Bluescale likes this.

Sanjay
post #730 of 1211 Old 06-28-2014, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by usxplong View Post
Is XMC-1 released yet?
I am confused as some talk about very specific items.
You are not alone. Emotiva is most confused about the XMC-1 and has been for several years.
post #731 of 1211 Old 06-28-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post
Is Dirac running, is it not running yet? I know people have theorized based on what's happening at the road shows, but nobody really knows for sure. The point remains, though, that Emotiva will sell fewer XMC units now that Atmos is coming out.

Based on what I read about the Atlanta road show, it was not running and DIRAC appears to have working remaining to do. Exactly what, who knows, but there were statements that a running version would be at Chicago (July 28). Odd that it was not running and yet it was at Emofest '13, but there was a lot to do on software for menu's/etc. at that time. It might mean that DIRAC didn't want to mess with any integration until the rest of the design was final, and now that the rest appears final - they are doing their part.

In any case - I am not sold on the idea that Emotiva will sell fewer now that Atmos is coming out. From what I read, the home version has some significant limitations vs. the cinema version, at least in its initial execution. So, it is questionable how valuable it will be where it counts (sound), but there's no doubt it will be a great marketing tool (it has many of you sold and you've never even heard the home version). I am certainly in no hurry for it. I want to see what real users experience in their homes before I even consider it. But, I am sure it will catch on as well as 3D and 7.1 (and isn't it great how many 7.1 encoded disks there are around?).
post #732 of 1211 Old 06-28-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfanm View Post
I am not sold on the idea that Emotiva will sell fewer now that Atmos is coming out. From what I read, the home version has some significant limitations vs. the cinema version, at least in its initial execution.
It's not a question of home Atmos vs cinema Atmos but more a case of an Atmos-enabled pre-pro or receiver vs the XMC-1. Even if the home version of Atmos contained one single object (independently adjustable dialogue stem), that's still beyond the capabilities of the XMC-1. For folks wanting immersive/3D audio, the XMC-1 is a non-starter.
xcapri79 and kbarnes701 like this.

Sanjay
post #733 of 1211 Old 06-28-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 95
start of thread 10-11-12, and still no mass rollout. hilarious....

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #734 of 1211 Old 06-28-2014, 05:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thread stated 2012. There have been people on the wait list since 2008. Website still says "volume shipping in June".
xcapri79 likes this.

Sanjay
post #735 of 1211 Old 06-28-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post
start of thread 10-11-12, and still no mass rollout. hilarious....
Their fanboys are patient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Thread stated 2012. There have been people on the wait list since 2008. Website still says "volume shipping in June".
Didn't I say they've been confused for several years?

Emotiva has given us some fine amplifiers and some decent CD players, preamps and speakers, but they haven't been very successful with the more challenging processors. They further dug themselves into a deep hole with respect to their credibility in the marketplace with unfulfilled promises, repeated misstatements, and poor website management over a period of several years.

It is plainly evident that there is a complete lack of professional software engineering and project management involved with this XMC-1 project. Everything they do seems to come from "the seat of their pants" and wishful thinking. They are unwilling to take sound advice and stubbornly will not learn from past mistakes and learn their own limitations. Their repetitive delays continually move the XMC-1 into repetitive obsolescence.

The XMC-1 is truly "beyond expectations". Unfortunately this is exactly opposite of what they intended.
CruelInventions likes this.

Last edited by xcapri79; 06-29-2014 at 07:06 AM.
post #736 of 1211 Old 06-29-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
It's not a question of home Atmos vs cinema Atmos but more a case of an Atmos-enabled pre-pro or receiver vs the XMC-1.

I'm really not convinced of this. Based on latest info, even Keith Barnes has backed off his statements on home Atmos and said the home version doesn't have key things he was hoping it would and that this would impact its sound. I am yet not convinced it will be a significant sonic improvement in the home. I might be wrong, but one thing is true: none of us had heard the home version of Atmos in our home to know if it will make a difference or not. I do agree it has potential...but potential and proof are different things.
post #737 of 1211 Old 06-29-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcapri79 View Post
Their fanboys are patient.

Someone once told me that patience is a virtue.

And one other thing about the timeline, while there is a lot to be said that's negative about the story, they did release what was originally planned to be the XMC under the Sherbourn brand when they abandoned plans for the CI-based version. I am glad they switched to the TI platform as that should be a better platform to be on for the future (based on things I've read around). We'll see how well they leverage it.
post #738 of 1211 Old 06-29-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
I might be wrong, but one thing is true: none of us had heard the home version of Atmos in our home to know if it will make a difference or not. I do agree it has potential...but potential and proof are different things.
I have heard it.

One if the best things about what Dolby is doing is Elevation.

For those that cannot add it overheads, the add in speaker modules are fantastic. So for those with 5.1 there is an easy path to upgrade with minimal fuss and expense.

Because the content is discrete, it is a vast improvement over any of the up mix techs in the past, i.e. Neo:X, DSX or PLIIz.

But that's just one aspect.

IMO it's really a step forward.

Just my .02.
post #739 of 1211 Old 06-29-2014, 09:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I do agree it has potential.
And that's the potential missing from the XMC-1: the ability to re-arrange its 7.1 outputs to 5.1.2 for Atmos playback. It would allow XMC-1 owners to find out for themselves whether Atmos was worth it by doing a comparison that kept all other variables the same (electronics, room, speakers, movie, etc).

Sanjay
post #740 of 1211 Old 06-29-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post
Because the content is discrete, it is a vast improvement over any of the up mix techs in the past, i.e. Neo:X, DSX or PLIIz.

Good to know. Thanks.
post #741 of 1211 Old 06-29-2014, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post
I have heard it.

One if the best things about what Dolby is doing is Elevation.

For those that cannot add it overheads, the add in speaker modules are fantastic. So for those with 5.1 there is an easy path to upgrade with minimal fuss and expense.
How important is the shape of the room to get decent sound out of Atmos? I have a very strange room (it used to be a garage that the previous owner turned into a den). The ceiling above where my TV is is about 6'8". The ceiling above where I'm sitting is about 11'4". Then right behind me is a ledge that drops the ceiling down to 8', after which is continues back. You don't really have to try to picture the ceiling, I'm just trying to get the point across that it's steeply sloped.

I'm pretty certain the speaker-top modules won't work for me, but what about on ceiling speakers? Do they rely on reflected sound to achieve their affect, or can they be angled so their output is directional and (to some extent) negate the ceiling?

Sorry for the off topic, but since you're here and know more about this than most anyone else, I wanted to ask. The answer to this will play a major part in my decision to consider the eventual XMC-1 or not. I've always written off anything that requires height in my room, since the room itself is too strange, but I'd be willing to reconsider if Atmos gets favorable reviews, and it'll work reasonably well in my room.
post #742 of 1211 Old 07-02-2014, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Look at this just posted by Keith on Emotiva Lounge. Funny stuff.

Quote:
KeithL said:

Dirac works very well (you can download a free demo version and try it for yourself); likewise the XMC-1 works quite well (and you saw - and heard - it in Atlanta).

One of the code updates we made in response to the results of testing caused a minor - but somewhat unexpected - glitch in the communications between the Dirac software and the XMC-1. This made it unlikely that we could get both to work together properly over a hotel's limited network. Since the whole point of Dirac is being able to make corrections that are specific to your room, and we weren't at all sure we could get it to run a proper curve for the room at the hotel, we decided there wasn't much point in "demoing" it with a curve that was run somewhere else (and so was wrong for that room).

TacT was only ever implemented on a few specific hardware platforms, and had some other issues, both technical and otherwise - which is why we switched. We also feel that Dirac works better, and sounds better as well. (And, no, I'm NOT going to go into any more details about why TacT didn't work out. )

Not sure what to make of the post and the update. Just another delay in a long series of delays IMO. At least Keith was kind enough to provide the update though.
xcapri79 likes this.
post #743 of 1211 Old 07-02-2014, 07:09 PM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 49
"One of the code updates we made in response to the results of testing caused a minor - but somewhat unexpected - glitch in the communications between the Dirac software and the XMC-1. This made it unlikely that we could get both to work together properly over a hotel's limited network. Since the whole point of Dirac is being able to make corrections that are specific to your room, and we weren't at all sure we could get it to run a proper curve for the room at the hotel, we decided there wasn't much point in "demoing" it with a curve that was run somewhere else (and so was wrong for that room)."

Keith's terminology leaves a lot to be desired. Since Emo's Dirac probably works like Theta's Dirac, it sounds like they couldn't send the in-room measurements to whatever cloud site they're using to calculate and then download the filter set. Dunno how else the hotel network becomes a problem.

'Course, it could also be complete codswallop.
xcapri79 likes this.
post #744 of 1211 Old 07-02-2014, 10:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Get it to "run a proper curve" for the room?

Sanjay
post #745 of 1211 Old 07-03-2014, 12:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 410
So much for "volume shipping in June" . I can't believe Emotiva hasn't removed that line from the XMC-1.com site.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #746 of 1211 Old 07-03-2014, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
So much for "volume shipping in June" . I can't believe Emotiva hasn't removed that line from the XMC-1.com site.

Bill
I can absolutely believe it, because it is, "who they are" as a famous sports commentator has often remarked concerning the Dallas Cowboys.

Like the Dallas Cowboys, Emotiva will "find a way to break your heart." Their processor releases are, "an accident waiting to happen!" just as the Cowboys are. The parallels are strikingly similar.

Last edited by xcapri79; 07-03-2014 at 02:16 AM.
post #747 of 1211 Old 07-03-2014, 03:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 1233
Quote:
I'm really not convinced of this. Based on latest info, even Keith Barnes has backed off his statements on home Atmos and said the home version doesn't have key things he was hoping it would and that this would impact its sound. I am yet not convinced it will be a significant sonic improvement in the home. I might be wrong, but one thing is true: none of us had heard the home version of Atmos in our home to know if it will make a difference or not. I do agree it has potential...but potential and proof are different things.
I never said anything about the current version of Atmos having a negative impact on the sound. What I said is that I was disappointed that the first gen Atmos units do not allow for input of azimuth and elevation angles. The result of that decision is that users of legacy 5.1/7.1 systems will get no benefit from Atmos. Those who add two or more top speakers (or use the Atmos-enabled speakers/modules) and mount them in the correct positions according to Atmos spec will get the full benefit of Atmos HT. Those who cannot mount their top speakers according to spec will be disappointed that their AVR doesn't 'know' where they are, in fact, mounted (because it hasn't measured the necessary angles).

Information is still emerging on the consequences for the latter group of people. For now, the best advice is to mount the top speakers where Dolby advise you to mount them. That is the only part of the whole issue that is less than I originally expected.

All those who have heard Atmos for the home have remarked that it is a huge, huge step-up from what we have currently. Google around for more info if you are interested to read what they have said.
post #748 of 1211 Old 07-03-2014, 03:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runninkyle17 View Post
Look at this just posted by Keith on Emotiva Lounge. Funny stuff.

Not sure what to make of the post and the update. Just another delay in a long series of delays IMO. At least Keith was kind enough to provide the update though.
ICBW but didn’t they use exactly the same excuse/reason when they launched the UMC-1? I seem to recall them saying at that time that something they had 'fixed' had caused problems elsewhere. And this went on and on for a while before they released the UMC-1 with dozens of bugs and issues, some of them unfixable. I hope history isn't repeating itself for them.
post #749 of 1211 Old 07-03-2014, 03:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

post #750 of 1211 Old 07-03-2014, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
Next June?
Never ! THe announcement of Dolby Atmos sent this thing to the bottom of the ocean.
xcapri79 likes this.
Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page