Emotiva XMC-1 coming soon (please limit posts to technical issues) - Page 30 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 535Likes

post #871 of 1211 Old 07-07-2014, 06:16 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Gentlemen,

Strict Emotiva XMC-1 only posts from this point on...

Violators will lose posting rights.
carfanm likes this.

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the AVS Club and help support the site. Help Support AVS Forum Sponsors.

Last edited by Mike Lang; 07-07-2014 at 06:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 1211 Old 07-07-2014, 06:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post
I will likely have Atmos when it becomes available in the XMC.
That can never happen though can it? Their hardware configuration for the XMC-1 precludes it. Not just the back panel, but the processor (CPU I mean) is unlikely to have enough grunt. If Emotiva embrace Atmos (and they will have to eventually if they want to play in the processor park) I’d imagine it would be with a new processor to replace the XMC-1. Given the trauma of getting the XMC-1 to market (so far not achieved), I'd have thought they'd give up on processors going forward. Well, that would be my decision if Emotiva was my company. But we won't see an Atmos-enabled XMC-1 for sure. Like I keep saying, and I know you think I say it too often, the XMC-1 is too little too late unfortunately.
post #873 of 1211 Old 07-07-2014, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
That can never happen though can it? Their hardware configuration for the XMC-1 precludes it. Not just the back panel, but the processor (CPU I mean) is unlikely to have enough grunt. If Emotiva embrace Atmos (and they will have to eventually if they want to play in the processor park) I’d imagine it would be with a new processor to replace the XMC-1. Given the trauma of getting the XMC-1 to market (so far not achieved), I'd have thought they'd give up on processors going forward. Well, that would be my decision if Emotiva was my company. But we won't see an Atmos-enabled XMC-1 for sure. Like I keep saying, and I know you think I say it too often, the XMC-1 is too little too late unfortunately.
Are you basing that on the actual CPUs used in the XMC or are you basing that on what other OEMs (Onkyo) have said/done?

Also 5.1.2 is a valid Atmos setup, no? ???
post #874 of 1211 Old 07-07-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

A Dolby Atmos video by Andrew Robinson of Emotiva.

post #875 of 1211 Old 07-07-2014, 07:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootman_head_fi View Post
Are you basing that on the actual CPUs used in the XMC or are you basing that on what other OEMs (Onkyo) have said/done?

Also 5.1.2 is a valid Atmos setup, no? ???
Basing it on the fact that Denon had to add an additional processor and Onkyo had to drop Audyssey. If the CPUs in the XMC-1 have sufficient horsepower to run Dirac and Atmos at the same time, I'd be surprised but will bow to hard evidence of course. I'd be surprised because they were never going to add Atmos anyway, so it would surprise me if the XMC-1 had 'spare' horsepower. BICBW of course and am happy to be corrected.

5.1.2 is valid, yes. Good point.
post #876 of 1211 Old 07-07-2014, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
A Dolby Atmos video by Andrew Robinson of Emotiva.
Boot - did you not see Mike's post (875)? I hope he cuts you a little slack but that video, as well as being a great cure for Insomnia, never once mentioned the XMC-1, and following Mike's ruling, we can’t comment on what AR said, in this thread.
post #877 of 1211 Old 07-07-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Boot - did you not see Mike's post (875)? I hope he cuts you a little slack but that video, as well as being a great cure for Insomnia, never once mentioned the XMC-1, and following Mike's ruling, we can’t comment on what AR said, in this thread.
I took that more towards those making anti emotiva posts instead of sticking to tech talk.

It was a video made by an Emotiva employee so I thought it would be taken as the official Emotiva view on Atmos vs what others were posting here.
If i'm wrong, mods please delete my post.
post #878 of 1211 Old 07-07-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I took that more towards those making anti emotiva posts instead of sticking to tech talk.
Don't think so. Nothing wrong with saying the XMC-1 sucks, or doesn't, so long as the context is tech talk. That's how I read Mike's remarks anyway.

Quote:
It was a video made by an Emotiva employee so I thought it would be taken as the official Emotiva view on Atmos vs what others were posting here.
Ah yes - good point. I hadn't seen it that way. Anyway, following Mike's patience being stretched to breaking, I am trying to stay on the topic of XMC-1 technicalities, going forward. Maybe we should start an "XMC-1 bitchin' and moanin'" thread?
post #879 of 1211 Old 07-07-2014, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:

If it were the official Emotiva view on Atmos, it would've been branded Emotiva, not Andrew's personal brand. They have their own YouTube account and video channel. If it were their view, I would assume it would be part of their channel.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #880 of 1211 Old 07-07-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Maybe we should start an "XMC-1 bitchin' and moanin'" thread?
Excellent idea and all of these types of post in this thread should go there.
It would reduce this thread to maybe 2 pages at the most.
kbarnes701, RogerSch and carfanm like this.
post #881 of 1211 Old 07-07-2014, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
If they ever release the dang thing someone will start an "official" thread. That would be a good time to let this tedious (but informative and entertaining) thread lie down and croak. I'd hope the moderators will grant a bit of leeway until the real XMC-1 sees the light of day.
carfanm likes this.

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #882 of 1211 Old 07-07-2014, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Lightbulb

Quote:
My guess is that, if the thing ever does see the light of day, it will be on sale for $1,500 (or less) next summer, just to clear some space in their warehouse.
At $1,500 I might as well hang on to my current Elite SC-75. Why buy anything by summer next year without Atmos?
kbarnes701 likes this.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #883 of 1211 Old 07-07-2014, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Replace the decoder in the player with the one that is in upcoming Atmos 7.1 receivers. Send the decoded 8-channel PCM signal to the XMC-1 (not a problem for its HDMI 1.4 inputs). Place the surround-back speakers above the listening position for a 5.1.2 configuration.

The player does the decoding. The XMC-1 then does bass management and Dirac room correction, followed by the usual delay and level calibration.
Sanjay,

This is workable solution for XMC-1 and Dolby Atmos. So the minimum Atmos configuration of 5.1.2 can be achieved.

Will put this as a suggestion in the next generation of Oppo players thread.

Wondering how many other blu-ray player manufacturers are thinking along this line? The cost of a new blu-ray player (with Atmos decode) with the XMC-1 maybe negligible increase, assuming the mass market manufacturers such as Samsung, LG, Panasonic, et. al. get into the game. If these guys smell some easy money, I'm sure they will get into the market.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #884 of 1211 Old 07-08-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Liked: 227
It's official, the XMC-1 won't support Dolby Atmos:
http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/post/650372/thread

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #885 of 1211 Old 07-08-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
It's official, the XMC-1 won't support Dolby Atmos:
http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/post/650372/thread
Andrew Robinson's post, in full:

"At present the XMC-1 is not Atmos enabled. I cannot speak for the future, but as of this moment in time (8:02am CST)the XMC-1 does not support Atmos. For the record, if everything Dolby says about Atmos in the home is true, THE ONLY difference between an existing 5.1/7.1 setup now versus one with Atmos, is the inclusion of ceiling channels. Minus 2 or 4 ceiling speakers you are NOT getting anything new or different than what you already have with Dolby TrueHD via Dolby Atmos.

The second caveat to all of this is in fact DTS. DTS has their version of Atmos coming soon -likely around the same time Atmos products actually start selling. The DTS format, as I understand it, IS object based opposed to Atmos in the home which is not -okay maybe the ceiling channels are "technically" objects, but your main 5.1/7.1 setup is decidedly not. Also, the DTS format is proving to be far less processor intensive, meaning its adoption could be more widespread and easier to accommodate than Atmos (speculation based on early reports). Regardless, it's too early to jump aboard the "XMC-1 is obsolete" train at this time. Sure there are products that have been announced with Atmos support, however they're not for sale yet, DTS hasn't lowered the boom, and frankly, a lot of those products said they were HDMI 2.0/2.2/4K/UHD ready and, well, the CEA just modified the UHD standard last week making many of those claims no longer 100% accurate.

In other words, the sky isn't falling, nor should anyone be losing any sleep over all of this. "

Unfortunately, it is full of misunderstanding and misinformation.
post #886 of 1211 Old 07-08-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

1. the guy doesn't understand what Atmos is...which is sad
2. products are already shipping with Atmos
3. DTS UHD (surprised that he doesn't know the official name of it) have not even yet announced for commercial use, let alone home use

Sorry, the guy is either severely misinformed or deliberately spreading misinformation.

For a yet to be released product not having Atmos at all... It IS obsolete. Plain and simple.

my home theatre

post #887 of 1211 Old 07-08-2014, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Andrew regularly writes "articles" about HT stuff, his ideas for the future, editorials on the industry, and so on. I pretty much always disagree with his interpretations of what's happening in the industry. I don't know what his qualifications are or his background, I know he was brought into Emotiva partially to write stuff and help them with their site and forum. He just seems really off base and writes from a very narrow viewpoint and can't seem to understand that other people enjoy other aspects of home theater.

Also, he was the one that recently said the UMC-200 should be more than enough for anybody. So for him to not understand Atmos and to not see its significance is really no surprise to me.
David Susilo and kbarnes701 like this.

Download my IR hex codes for the Denon AVR-4810ci and other Denon receivers here.
For Logitech Harmony support, ask Logitech for the Denon receiver in the account kmickunas.

post #888 of 1211 Old 07-08-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

So true. I own a UMC-200 and that is far from enough for me. Currently it resides in my bedroom working as an HDMI switcher and that's all.

my home theatre

post #889 of 1211 Old 07-08-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post
3. DTS UHD (surprised that he doesn't know the official name of it) have not even yet announced for commercial use, let alone home use

Sorry, the guy is either severely misinformed or deliberately spreading misinformation.

For a yet to be released product not having Atmos at all... It IS obsolete. Plain and simple.
Don't forget about HDCP 2.2.
Any unit announced not having that will be obsolete also, no?
post #890 of 1211 Old 07-08-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Don't forget about HDCP 2.2.
Any unit announced not having that will be obsolete also, no?
Yes, but still useful.

My car is obsolete but runs great. I do wish it had Pandora and BT audio...

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #891 of 1211 Old 07-08-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Andrew Robinson's post, in full:

"For the record, if everything Dolby says about Atmos in the home is true, THE ONLY difference between an existing 5.1/7.1 setup now versus one with Atmos, is the inclusion of ceiling channels. Minus 2 or 4 ceiling speakers you are NOT getting anything new or different than what you already have with Dolby TrueHD via Dolby Atmos"

Unfortunately, it is full of misunderstanding and misinformation.

Do you disagree with the first release of Atmos being functionally the same for folks who do not have ceiling or ceiling bank-shot speakers?

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #892 of 1211 Old 07-08-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 441
I seem to recall Dan saying the XMC, due to its modular design, can serve as the cornerstone of one's HT, because it can be upgraded. Back in the day, when there was all this free love, although not quite as free today, I had an IBM XTC clone that I was able to upgrade to a 286 by adding a card.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #893 of 1211 Old 07-08-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
Do you disagree with the first release of Atmos being functionally the same for folks who do not have ceiling or ceiling bank-shot speakers?

- Rich
I don't understand your question, sorry.
post #894 of 1211 Old 07-08-2014, 11:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Yep. If his intention is to cast the XMC-1 in a better light, then I understand where he is coming from. But the entire post is so misinformed, it really doesn't do his credibilitiy much good. But then, AIUI he works for Emotiva so he can hardly say "yes, the XMC-1 is obsolete even before it's been released". For me, the most useful part of his post was that he confirmed the XMC-1 will never have Atmos.
post #895 of 1211 Old 07-08-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post
I seem to recall Dan saying the XMC, due to its modular design, can serve as the cornerstone of one's HT, because it can be upgraded. Back in the day, when there was all this free love, although not quite as free today, I had an IBM XTC clone that I was able to upgrade to a 286 by adding a card.
The most hilarious thing I remember him saying, in a podcast, is that the XMC-1 will be all the processor you'll need for 15 years! What a joke, when it isn't even all the processor that is needed for this September, let along 2029.
post #896 of 1211 Old 07-08-2014, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Making something truly upgradeable is just really difficult. I'm sure they have the best intentions, but it's just not realistic. You can't predict what's going to happen in a few years and what will be required. For instance when a new version of HDMI comes along they'll have to get a board that has the newest chipset that can be made to match the ribbon cables used on their current board. What if the new surround sound chips require more power, and they don't have extra power connections in the case? Then the users have to send it back for a major overhaul.

And of course their case design is limited to 10 HDMI connections and 9 audio channels. The Datasat RS20i certainly looks like a unit that can be upgraded as it's back panel has multiple removable panels. That shows a lot of flexibility, at least on the outside. Of course they could also have a means for adding external boxes for additional capabilities. Emotiva lacks all of that.

Sure they can probably do a firmware upgrade to get to HDMI 2.0, maybe even HDCP 2.2. Likewise they may be able to do some updates to the audio processing, but nothing significant. It's just not going to happen. And with their history of not coming through with promised upgrades I certainly wouldn't buy it thinking that will happen.
LPBadge likes this.

Download my IR hex codes for the Denon AVR-4810ci and other Denon receivers here.
For Logitech Harmony support, ask Logitech for the Denon receiver in the account kmickunas.

post #897 of 1211 Old 07-08-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post
I owned the Integra RDC-7 which as some may recall was the Nostradamus of processors
Since then, I have solved the upgradable processor dilemma: sell the old processor, buy the new processor.

- Rich
David Susilo likes this.

Oppo Beta Group

post #898 of 1211 Old 07-08-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't understand your question, sorry.
If you have no plan to buy ceiling speakers (or reflecting speakers), there is no reason to buy an 1'st gen Atmos AVR/Processor.
That part of Andrew's video that seems to be correct.

- Rich
David Susilo and IgorZep like this.

Oppo Beta Group

post #899 of 1211 Old 07-08-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 383
So does that mean its okay to buy a unit that a year later will be even more out of date once the 2nd gen hits? Assuming it is released this year.
David Susilo likes this.
post #900 of 1211 Old 07-08-2014, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
I owned the Integra RDC-7 which as some may recall was the Nostradamus of processors
Since then, I have solved the upgradable processor dilemma: sell the old processor, buy the new processor.

- Rich
I've accepted that this is just reality. Every few years there's enough difference to justify (for me) the upgrade. I try to space it out a bit though. Fortunately I now have enough amps that I no longer feel like I need to spend the money on the top of the line receiver from Denon, Onkyo or Yamaha.

I may upgrade in a hurry though this coming year. I just bought a Denon x4000 last month, because I got a new house and needed a receiver for my theater and my older Denon 4810 was being used in the family room. I couldn't wait for Atmos, but as I can add ceiling speakers fairly easily in the new theater I'm definitely considering an upgrade to a newer Denon next year. And since I have Klipsch in-wall speakers and they have some similar ceiling speakers I'll be well situated when the time comes.

I was very interested in the XMC-1. If it had made it to production by June I was seriously considering getting one. 7.2 is sufficient to me, but their constant delays got me reading more and more threads about receivers and the latest technologies and now I think I just want more. I'm going to hold off on selling my upgrade until the Dallas road show. I want to get an XSP-1 for the family room and I'll have to see how the pricing is there compared to what I can get for the card. Emotiva has really ticked me off with their constant delays and the way they've handled it. I'll continue buying amps and perhaps other compnents from them in the future, but I will not ever again put off a purchase based on Emotiva's promise of something coming soon.
Bluescale likes this.

Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page