Emotiva XMC-1 coming soon (please limit posts to technical issues) - Page 32 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 536Likes

post #931 of 1211 Old 07-09-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Keith, Igor, fascinating discussion you are having. It would be better served however if you guys discussed ATMOS in the official ATMOS threads WHERE IT BELONGS!!!!!!

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 1211 Old 07-09-2014, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgorZep View Post

He talks a lot about concentric drivers and I have big interest about them... But this is not related to the up-firing concept and does not explain how it supposed to work while regular speaker don't. It is still just a "regular speaker with concentring driver" laid on its back. Make the same experiment I explained above with Tannoy speakers.
Some have concentric drivers pointing straight up.
You would think that some ability to adjust the angle would be required.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #933 of 1211 Old 07-09-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Like the XMC-1, Atmos, concentric drivers and the need to adjust them - we will know more when they are released
post #934 of 1211 Old 07-09-2014, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 82
O.K. - regarding "No need for a new Bluray player. Atmos comes as a TrueHD track and the player bitstreams it to the AVR where the Atmos info is decoded."

If you do not need a new Bluray player, aren't you limited to what you AVR can process? In other words, if it is a 5.1 AVR or even Preamp, your are limited to 5.1 channels, correct? Same for a 9.2 AVR - - max channels is 9.2? So, in my case, I could add LH and RH and that would be it? Which I might consider but ONLY if it is a discrete channel. I'm not interested in matrixed sound. That's why I backed down to a 7.1 setup.

"WRT to studios - the takeup of Atmos by the movie industry in the first year of its introduction significantly surpassed the takeup of 5.1 in the first year of the latter's introduction. Bodes well."

I'm not so sure that Dolby Atmos is a real game changer for the HT Enthusiast. Sure, big spenders might outfit themselves with the max. 34 speakers in their high end theater but the average Joe is trying to find room for a 7.1 setup.

Hey, be the first one on your block with the all new XXX 36.2 Channel "Dolby Atmos" Certified AVR. Only 18" Wide by 16" Deep and 24" High. Gonna sell a lot of new cabinets with that setup!

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #935 of 1211 Old 07-09-2014, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
Have you?
No. But I've heard regular speakers laid on its' back... And I don't believe the laws of physics can be circumvented that easily... I look at the photo of Elite Atmos speaker and see a pretty small regular driver mounted on top of it on pretty small surface. No horns, nothing extraordinary... I read the spec... It tells that you should connect it with just an additional pair of acoustical wires... So, this is passive speaker, no precise digital processing is possible! Event if it would be active and had a DSP control of directivity... It doesn't have a lot of drivers on its front to help to achieve that... YSP-1100, for example have 42 drivers evenly distributed, each individually digitally processed, to precisely control directivity. I don't see something like this or anything else, in the physical domain that would allow achieving something at least nearly comparable. No electronics can sound if there is no physical emitter.
post #936 of 1211 Old 07-09-2014, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 117
A few members have been banned from this thread, as they just don't seem to understand that Atmos posts belong elsewhere...NOT HERE! I will continue to ban other members from this thread, without notice, if more off topic posts are made. If I find people "sneaking back in" to post off topic posts despite my warnings, then I will permanently ban them from AVS...no questions asked.
post #937 of 1211 Old 07-09-2014, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Dan just posted on the emo forum that they are going to be contacting people on the pre-order list and that the XMC-1 will be shipping soon. It'll be interesting to see how soon this gets to real customers.
post #938 of 1211 Old 07-09-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I wonder what the definition of 'soon' is...

I asked that on the thread Big Dan posted that but haven't got an answer. I think the regulars on the Lounge might mistake my question for trolling - but all I'm asking is "how soon" is soon?
Such a simple question deserves a simple answer IMO. IIRC the first official Emotiva 'shipping soon' announcement by Emotiva was followed by about 6 months. Can't remember for sure. Dan had better hope it's sooner than 6 months.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #939 of 1211 Old 07-09-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

I asked that on the thread Big Dan posted that but haven't got an answer. I think the regulars on the Lounge might mistake my question for trolling - but all I'm asking is "how soon" is soon?
Such a simple question deserves a simple answer IMO. IIRC the first official Emotiva 'shipping soon' announcement by Emotiva was followed by about 6 months. Can't remember for sure. Dan had better hope it's sooner than 6 months.
I'm sure we'll find out when the first person puts their order in.
post #940 of 1211 Old 07-09-2014, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's a perfectly valid question. Some people are getting awfully excited. I wouldn't get excited until an actual paying customer receives one.
post #941 of 1211 Old 07-09-2014, 06:23 PM

Liked: 36
[quote author="@dlaufman" source="/post/650768/thread" timestamp="1404944808"]Hi guys,

Just wanted to let you know that we will be sending out emails to those of you on the XMC-1 pre-order list this week.

We'll be asking you to confirm your intent to purchase your pre-ordered XMC-1 at that time and to arrange payment, redeem your upgrade card, etc.

Please look for an email shortly. Due to the number of units on pre-order, don't freak out if you don't receive your email this week. We've got a pretty long list to work through. Everyone will be accommodated that has pre-ordered with us, rest assured.

Thanks for your patience and support.

Regards,
Dan

[/quote]

Pre-order emails this week. I guess that defines "soon"

Last edited by carfanm; 07-09-2014 at 06:31 PM.
post #942 of 1211 Old 07-09-2014, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Well, i'm 3rd on the list and haven't got any email yet. Not that I want it now anyways, no hdmi 2.0 is deal breaker enough. I actually deleted my Emo forums account today too! I can't stand the way it's become with Keith and Andrew getting on there, Keith especially, he's one heck of a condescending poster, it's amazing how they let the donkey post on their own forums.

I will look at the RMC if it ever comes out but everyone will be one more spot above.

(I know I'm third because I was pm'ing Dann Gunn at the time the pre-orders went live and he put me in right there and then)

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #943 of 1211 Old 07-09-2014, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Well if they are redeeming upgrade cards (a part of the payment) then they must be shipping very quickly. Or I should say they have to ship quickly!
post #944 of 1211 Old 07-09-2014, 06:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 492
It will be great to see the XMC-1 actually shipping to paying customers. I look forward to reviews from owners especially how well Dirac works.

Bill
hogues and Knucklehead90 like this.

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #945 of 1211 Old 07-09-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
Well, i'm 3rd on the list and haven't got any email yet. Not that I want it now anyways, no hdmi 2.0 is deal breaker enough. I actually deleted my Emo forums account today too! I can't stand the way it's become with Keith and Andrew getting on there, Keith especially, he's one heck of a condescending poster, it's amazing how they let the donkey post on their own forums.

I will look at the RMC if it ever comes out but everyone will be one more spot above.

(I know I'm third because I was pm'ing Dann Gunn at the time the pre-orders went live and he put me in right there and then)
Gr8timing. Why not just have posts from keith and Andrew blocked from your account?

Looking forward to learning what the initial implementation details are.
post #946 of 1211 Old 07-09-2014, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Pre-order emails this week. I guess that defines "soon"
Emails are going out this week to people on the waiting list, not necessarily XMC-1s. That's a pretty big difference.
post #947 of 1211 Old 07-09-2014, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:

Your good buy thread is getting more traction than the announcement.
Come back after you cool down.
Now would be the time to post there!

..or just start a good DIY sub thread.

..and yes the ignore button on proboards is buried unlike other forum software.
post #948 of 1211 Old 07-09-2014, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfanm View Post
Gr8timing. Why not just have posts from keith and Andrew blocked from your account?

Looking forward to learning what the initial implementation details are.
It's not a very active forum anyways, I only have a UPA-200 anyways now, they just seem to do so many dumb things as a company. I still like their amps and wouldn't hesitate to buy one but thats it, not a fan of anything else at this time.

I had a umc-1 at launch and it was a disaster. Although I will look at the RMC-1 when it comes out, I'll leave the XMC-1 beta testing to everyone else

post #949 of 1211 Old 07-09-2014, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootman_head_fi View Post
Your good buy thread is getting more traction than the announcement.
Come back after you cool down.
Now would be the time to post there!

..or just start a good DIY sub thread.

..and yes the ignore button on proboards is buried unlike other forum software.
lol na, I deleted my account. I was reading the Atmos thread on there and watching Keith and Andrew blab about it, filmmixer comes on to set things straight and Keith of course, babbles on for 50 paragraphs about how he knows everything about everything and knows more about it than filmmixer, who actually does it for a actual job lol.
Thats when I just though.... ya it's time to get the heck outta here finally LOL.

I'll never post on there again, it's all good though, lots of info in other places.

post #950 of 1211 Old 07-09-2014, 07:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1368 Post(s)
Liked: 999
Quote:
Well, i'm 3rd on the list and haven't got any email yet.
When did you get on the list? As for the e-mail, Dan's posts said that they're sending out e-mails this week but to not freak out if you don't get the e-mail this week. Maybe they have slow e-mail?
Quote:
I actually deleted my Emo forums account today too!
Just took a look at your "Bye" thread there and was surprised by how many people agreed with your reason for leaving.

Sanjay
post #951 of 1211 Old 07-09-2014, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
When did you get on the list? As for the e-mail, Dan's posts said that they're sending out e-mails this week but to not freak out if you don't get the e-mail this week. Maybe they have slow e-mail? Just took a look at your "Bye" thread there and was surprised by how many people agreed with your reason for leaving.
man, it was 6 years ago I think I got on the list and have gotten 2 other emails saying I haven't lost my place in line, last one was about a year ago I think.... I have the email from Dann Gunn printed out somewhere but I can't remember where I put it.

It actually had the first 25 real names on it too. I'm gonna look again for it tonight.

post #952 of 1211 Old 07-09-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1368 Post(s)
Liked: 999
Six years! Holy....

Sanjay
post #953 of 1211 Old 07-09-2014, 10:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 54
After 6 years waiting Nate should get one for free!
post #954 of 1211 Old 07-10-2014, 12:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Given their track record, it could be anything from 1 day to 6 years

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #955 of 1211 Old 07-10-2014, 01:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'll leave the XMC-1 beta testing to everyone else
Unfortunately there is no one that is actually testing devices the way they should be tested. I've bought an UMC-200 about a year after it has been released and found bugs nobody else was aware of. Not the users nor the specialized press. The latter is especially disappointing. They should be on the side of the user but they are nothing more than importunate sales agents that want a cut of our money. Online forums have started to work the same way.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #956 of 1211 Old 07-10-2014, 04:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I'm looking forward to hearing feedback from actual owners of XMC-1. Wondering if pairing Emotiva amps with the XMC-1 pre/pro is the right approach that most owners are taking. Nothing to stop XMC-1 owners from using other amps of course.

Wondering who's going to be the first brave XMC-1 owner to post their initial impressions and thoughts on the forums... assuming it's been purchased and delivered.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #957 of 1211 Old 07-10-2014, 04:34 AM

What most forget is that while it has been 6 years, they did produce a product which met their original specs/description for the XMC but did so under the Sherborne name after they announced they had modified the XMC spec/description to the new TI platform. In retrospect, they would have been better off going ahead and selling it as an XMC, then coming back later with the TI product as a different model name. That would have saved them a lot of grief from people saying "man, 6 years?!?!?" today.

In any case, the old one is out there and the new one is beginning to ship.
post #958 of 1211 Old 07-10-2014, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
In any case, the old one is out there and the new one is beginning to ship.
When? Soon or Emotiva-soon?

Markus

post #959 of 1211 Old 07-10-2014, 06:04 AM

Given Dan says they are taking payment info, that means they are ready to ship as soon as someone replies to the email. So, we should be hearing first reports in a week (unless nobody orders).
post #960 of 1211 Old 07-10-2014, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Given Dan says they are taking payment info, that means they are ready to ship as soon as someone replies to the email. So, we should be hearing first reports in a week (unless nobody orders).
You assume I would believe Dan Laufman when he promises something. I don't. And there is more than one reason why.
Johnla and LPBadge like this.

Markus

Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page