Emotiva XMC-1 coming soon (please limit posts to technical issues) - Page 41 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 535Likes
Closed Thread

post #1201 of 1211 Old 07-24-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues View Post
Could be, but I think that Dirac also sets them apart from the rest of the crowd in this price range. I think that there are a lot of people who are at least interested to see how the xmc-1 performs if not interested in buying one. This may not have been the case if it just had Audyssey. I know that I'm holding on to my upgrade card until the reviews come out.

Thanks what I think too.

Djoel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 1211 Old 07-24-2014, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
I know Andrew, hence the disappointment.

Well, since you are his friend, I hope you have given him direct personal advice on how to do it right. Hopefully, he would take it from you.
post #1203 of 1211 Old 07-24-2014, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by carfanm View Post
I've met each in person, listened to live demo's with them, compared thoughts on what we've heard, have had many conversations about a/v and other topics with them, and have 3 of 4's phone #'s in my contacts list. So...yes...I know them well enough to be able to trust what they say.
And one of them doesn't have a cell phone....
carfanm likes this.
post #1204 of 1211 Old 07-24-2014, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
I've met each in person, listened to live demo's with them, compared thoughts on what we've heard, have had many conversations about a/v and other topics with them, and have 3 of 4's phone #'s in my contacts list. So...yes...I know them well enough to be able to trust what they say.
Why is Hemster post padding big time?

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1205 of 1211 Old 07-24-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post

How much or how little one posts is their business...right? Is Bob your name? I can't recall.
Foggy1 likes this.
post #1206 of 1211 Old 07-24-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
You mean just like many here do?

it is all good.
Foggy1 and carfanm like this.
post #1207 of 1211 Old 07-24-2014, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
What I was referring to is his ethics statement on his site. Many here acknowledged he posted it, but pretty much every one who did picked it apart. That is what I am referring to...he deserves credit for trying. And in that, he fully discloses his relationship with Emotiva. Seems many don't like how he did it.
Here's what I found interesting about that so-called ethics weasel-thing:

"At Emotiva I am responsible for the creation of video content on their YouTube channel. I write, produce, shoot, edit and upload all of the new video content you see on their channel. It’s a definite work in progress, but that is what I do for them. "

Isn't he a moderator for their forum, too?

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait

post #1208 of 1211 Old 07-24-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
Here's what I found interesting about that so-called ethics weasel-thing

Isn't he a moderator for their forum, too?

I find it offensive that you refer to him in context of an "ethics weasel thing". But, yes, he is a moderator also. What else do you need him to disclose? All the people in the past who have sponsored his A/V activities and such? Seems fair game to me! But do realize he is also the moderator who re-instated someone who is frequently posting here who got banned for a pattern of behavior on the Lounge. It was apparent that the banned person had an anti-Emotiva agenda and was skating just inside the forum rules to lightly mask their agenda (which was clear to nearly all who read their posts). That banned person continued that behavior here, well know to Andrew - and he still reinstated him at the lounge. What does that say about him?

FYI, that banned person thinks he was banned from there "for no reason", and Andrew was kind enough to give the person another chance. And that person has behaved well and contributed in positive ways to the knowledge of the Lounge members since then. So, if you are questioning his ethics...look deeper into who this man is and don't go with the crowd mentality. (PS...don't forget, I am the guy who less than 1 year ago felt the guy was an egotistical, self-centered jerk. I am no fanboy of his yet I am growing to like him. But, he does not deserve what you and others are saying about him here. I ask you all to lay off and give the guy a chance.)

PS...on the technical front, more and more buying users are reporting that their XMC is amazing. Maybe we can get past this AR thing onto technical aspects of the XMC-1 - which appears to be an amazing machine so far (and more bug-free at launch than the long awaited Olive One.).
Foggy1 likes this.

Last edited by carfanm; 07-24-2014 at 06:15 PM.
post #1209 of 1211 Old 07-24-2014, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 45
What's AR? Is that aspect ratio? Isn't AR usually followed by "-15"?

Mods, please delete anything that contains "Andrew" or "Robinson" from this "technical" thread.

High Desert Theater -

Building Bass - 

Surrounds -

Storage -

post #1210 of 1211 Old 07-24-2014, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
I find it offensive that you refer to him in context of an "ethics weasel thing".
You should have read more closely (or written more precisely) because my earlier "that ethics weasel-thing" clearly referred to the text quoted immediately below that turn of phrase, and not to any individual. I just changed the word "statement" to a phrase that's more accurate.

Quote:
But, yes, he is a moderator also.
Thank you for that confirmation.

Here's yet another issue with the unethics weasel thing, a charge I thought imprudent to level, because I was not sure if he was in fact a moderate of their forum. (Hence the question.)

To put it plainly, in his so called ethics statement, this man lies about the scope of his employment and involvement with the firm!

To recap, here's what he writes about the scope of his employment with Emotiva:

"***At Emotiva I am responsible for the creation of video content on their YouTube channel. I write, produce, shoot, edit and upload all of the new video content you see on their channel. It’s a definite work in progress, but that is what I do for them.***" (cut and pasted from http://arccinema.com/ethics-statement/; screenshot taken).

Do you see "moderate their user forum" or any other such language in that statement where he expressly lists the scope of his duties as "Director of Digital Content" for Emotiva? Yet "that" seems to not only be something he clearly he "do[es] for them," but also an area of "digital content" in which he has some degree of supervisory authority for the firm.

That's chutzpah!

Quote:
But do realize he is also the moderator who re-instated someone who is frequently posting here who got banned for a pattern of behavior on the Lounge.
Except in that the episode demonstrates actual use of supervisory power over their forum and thus bolsters the corruption charge, it is out of the scope of the discussion. Here are two things that are not.

First, failing to disclose one's pecuniary interest up front before a single letter of any review discussing an Emotiva product or another product that competes against an Emotiva one.

Second, writing a dithering words-of-weasel "ethics statement" that systematically understates the scope of the man's involvement and employment with the firm at issue.

Quote:
So, if you are questioning his ethics...***
Everything a decent person needs to know about this man's ethics may be found earlier in this post, between the words "First" and "issue."

Quote:
PS...on the technical front, more and more buying users are reporting that their XMC is amazing.***
That's not "technical," it's just Beranek's Law. Nothing more.

Now, I'm sure under level matched conditions with an adequate amp hanging off the end of it, it "sounds" just like any halfway competent $350 AVR. Because it really has no advantage over a $350 AVR at this point. If the Dirac implementation is sound and the thing ends up being bug-free, it may become a good product worth every penny they charge. But right now, nothing really to see there.
CruelInventions and 67jason like this.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait

Last edited by DS-21; 07-24-2014 at 07:37 PM.
post #1211 of 1211 Old 07-25-2014, 03:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 360
AVS Moderator

on the Owners thread Emotiva XMC-1 Owners Only Thread

members are posting first impressions of the XMC-1: non owners can participate there as long as posts are limited to technical issues

there is also a Chat thread for the XMC-1: Emotiva XMC-1 Chat Thread: technical talk only please

since the processor has been released, this thread, which was started over 2 years ago, is closed
bootman_head_fi and carfanm like this.

Last edited by markrubin; 07-30-2014 at 04:39 AM.
Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page