Closed Thread

post #1 of 1211 Old 10-11-2012, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Please take a look here

Among the features of audio capabilities this Emotiva processor has something like: "Selectable Fletcher-Munson loudness compensation".

Boy, now that is something I would have never expected to see any company in the 12th year of the 21st century to enlist as a "feature". What are they talking about? Technology 80 years behind us? Arrrgh!!mad.gifeek.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1211 Old 10-11-2012, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sweet... I was hoping it would be included....There is a pile of multi gadget feature rich cheap boxes that make noise for those that are so inclined.
post #3 of 1211 Old 10-11-2012, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo C View Post

Sweet... I was hoping it would be included....There is a pile of multi gadget feature rich cheap boxes that make noise for those that are so inclined.

Don't really get your message Elmo! eek.gif
post #4 of 1211 Old 10-11-2012, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo C View Post

Yeah, gotta hate those gadget features like ROOM CORRECTION! wink.gif
post #5 of 1211 Old 10-12-2012, 01:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Actually, the ability to alter the Fletcher-Munson curve on-the-fly was pretty neat. I think there will be a set of default curves built into the processor. Not sure how the editing part is going to work as it looked like they were using a PC-based program to move the curves when I saw the demonstration. I was under the impression this was part of the TACT processing. I assume TACT is ready then???

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #6 of 1211 Old 10-12-2012, 05:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 1230
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post

Please take a look here

Among the features of audio capabilities this Emotiva processor has something like: "Selectable Fletcher-Munson loudness compensation".

Boy, now that is something I would have never expected to see any company in the 12th year of the 21st century to enlist as a "feature". What are they talking about? Technology 80 years behind us? Arrrgh!!mad.gifeek.gif

LOL!  You sure know how to put the cat among the pigeons, Feri :)  Not that I disagree with you - they were going to include TacT room EQ but apparently they are holding back on that because they want it to be perfect before they release it.

post #7 of 1211 Old 10-12-2012, 06:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 409
The issue I have with Emotiva is that they are releasing the XMC-1 without TacT functional. If they wanted it to be perfect I feel Emotiva should wait till every feature of the XMC-1 is functional and tested. I asked over at the Lounge if Emotiva will be providing an open ended return period till the TacT module upgrade is made available. At this time it appears that will not be an option and Emotiva has said if the TacT-less XMC-1 is not appealing wait or buy something else. My point was what if it takes 3-6 months or longer for the TacT module to be made available and if one does not like the way it works then you have no return options. Emotiva offered an open ended return period for the UMC-1 till the FW was tweaked. So why not offer it for the XMC-1 if Emotiva is confident that TacT and the XMC-1 will be all they say it will be?

I wouldn't buy the newest AVR/prepro from Denon, Marantz or Onkyo if Audyssey was not active and fully functional. As much as I'm interested in the XMC-1 there is no way I'm buying the TacT-less XMC-1. TacT is one of the biggest reasons why I'm interested in the XMC-1. So until it is fully operational without issues I'll be watching this one from the sidelines. I'm not trying to slam Emotiva here and those that will be buying the XMC-1 as soon as it is released without TacT. But why buy a prepro such as the XMC-1 when one of the biggest features is not functional or tested?

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #8 of 1211 Old 10-12-2012, 06:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

The issue I have with Emotiva is that they are releasing the XMC-1 without TacT functional. If they wanted it to be perfect I feel Emotiva should wait till every feature of the XMC-1 is functional and tested.

Hey Bill.... when I said they are 'waiting for it to be perfect' I was echoing Dan Laufman's oft-quoted (and ill-advised) remark about the delayed UMC-1 :) Perhaps I should have said they won't release the TacT-enabled unit until it is "working beautifully" :) I'll get my tongue surgically removed from my cheek as soon as I get the chance :)

Quote:
I asked over at the Lounge if Emotiva will be providing an open ended return period till the TacT module upgrade is made available. At this time it appears that will not be an option and Emotiva has said if the TacT-less XMC-1 is not appealing wait or buy something else. My point was what if it takes 3-6 months or longer for the TacT module to be made available and if one does not like the way it works then you have no return options. Emotiva offered an open ended return period for the UMC-1 till the FW was tweaked. So why not offer it for the XMC-1 if Emotiva is confident that TacT and the XMC-1 will be all they say it will be?

Agree entirely. I suspect that buyers who jump straight in will be those with very good, well-treated rooms, for whom electronic room EQ is less compelling or those who can’t seen any benefit of EQ-ing the room and speaker combo. I also suspect that the XMC-1 will never feature a fully-implemented, fully functional version of TacT, so the wait may be a long one for those who do value such features. I hope I am proved wrong with that one.  I also suspect that they do not want a re-run of the returns of the UMC-1 after extending the 30-day trial until they got the firmware properly sorted (ie never).

Personally, I wouldn't even consider an XMC-1 until it had TacT and had been independently reviewed. 

Quote:
I wouldn't buy the newest AVR/prepro from Denon, Marantz or Onkyo if Audyssey was not active and fully functional. As much as I'm interested in the XMC-1 there is no way I'm buying the TacT-less XMC-1. TacT is one of the biggest reasons why I'm interested in the XMC-1. So until it is fully operational without issues I'll be watching this one from the sidelines. I'm not trying to slam Emotiva here and those that will be buying it as soon as it is released without TacT. I honestly wonder what the discussions would be like over at the Lounge if Outlaw had released the 978 without Audyssey XT32 wink.gif.

Again, totally agreed. See my earlier 'snippet' wrt to the 978*. TBH, even with TacT working, I can't see a compelling reason to buy the XMC-1 when there are less costly AVRs with pre-outs available from the big manufacturers who don't have anything like the issues Emo has had so far with its processors. Heck, you could even buy an end-of-line 'disco' model processor from one of the big manufacturers for not much more than the XMC-1. My Onkyo 5509, for example, cost me only very slightly more than an XMC-1 woud have cost me - and that was when it was a new model. Once the 5510 is released, 5509s will be on sale for terrific prices. Audyssey XT32, Audyssey Pro-capable and a spec that is considerably higher in numerous ways. 

*Over on the Emo 'tech issues' thread'.  Hang on - it's only a couple of lines, I'll repeat it here... here you go:

Interesting snippet in the current issue of Home Theater Magazine. They say that the Outlaw 978 processor was scrapped because another company supplied by the Chinese manufacturers put pressure on the latter to scrap the competing Outlaw product. 

This is what they say:

"Outlaw Audio's Model 978 is one surround processor you won’t be able to buy. A competitor spiked the the product by cudgeling the Chinese factory, which did business with both companies, into canceling the project and tying up the circuit layout files, firmware and software."

Page 31 of dead-tree issue November 2012.

I wonder what they could mean? ;)
post #9 of 1211 Old 10-12-2012, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I thought I heard TacT was out of business. If that's the case... who will be working on it to make it perfect, or even work?

Life is enjoyable with good quality
post #10 of 1211 Old 10-12-2012, 06:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Mark View Post

I thought I heard TacT was out of business. If that's the case... who will be working on it to make it perfect, or even work?

This was discussed over at the Lounge awhile back. It appears that the person that pioneered TacT (his name escapes me) is working for Emotiva and has brought the technology with him. But I do believe that TacT as a company no longer exsists. The TacT demos that were done at Emofest were with a 2.2 stand alone TacT processor and not from the 7.2 TacT system that will be available with the XMC-1. It all sounds promising but once again I'll wait till the horse is out of the barn and is upright wink.gif.

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #11 of 1211 Old 10-12-2012, 07:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Mark View Post

I think it's a grey area. Could be, for example, that the original company has gone under but the liquidators have sold off the IP to someone else - often it's the employees of the original company.

If that's the case a new 'Phoenix' company could emerge to carry on development and support of the product, having the benefit of the IP and probably of some key former employees too. I am just speculating as I have no idea about the company behind TacT but the process I describe is very common if a company goes bust (for reasons other than they have a rubbish product of course).

Smilar thing happened with the original M&K loudspeaker company - when it went under the IP was sold to the company we now know as MK Sound and the speaker line continued and even improved.

But yes, you are right - it's something you'd want to know before buying a processor with TacT installed in it.

Edit: I see the fleet-fingered Bill beat me to it :)

post #12 of 1211 Old 10-12-2012, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

This was discussed over at the Lounge awhile back. It appears that the person that pioneered TacT (his name escapes me) is working for Emotiva and has brought the technology with him. But I do believe that TacT as a company no longer exsists. The TacT demos that were done at Emofest were with a 2.2 stand alone TacT processor and not from the 7.2 TacT system that will be available with the XMC-1. It all sounds promising but once again I'll wait till the horse is out of the barn and is upright wink.gif.
Bill

Interestingly, if you go to the web page linked in the first post, it clearly indicates TACT is included:

The XMC-1 is a class-leading product with truly stellar design and unrivaled audio quality, incorporating useful and highly sophisticated features, including an exclusive Emotiva version of the revolutionary TACT® Dynamic Room Correction™ system.

Is anyone aware of a confirmation that TACT is implemented in the initial shipping version of the XMC-1? If not, that's a very misleading spec sheet.
post #13 of 1211 Old 10-12-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Bill

Interestingly, if you go to the web page linked in the first post, it clearly indicates TACT is included:

The XMC-1 is a class-leading product with truly stellar design and unrivaled audio quality, incorporating useful and highly sophisticated features, including an exclusive Emotiva version of the revolutionary TACT® Dynamic Room Correction™ system.

Is anyone aware of a confirmation that TACT is implemented in the initial shipping version of the XMC-1? If not, that's a very misleading spec sheet.

I think they just forgot to update their web page. Hopefully they will change it before it becomes available. IIRC Emotiva themselves confirmed that the XMC-1 would be TacT-less on release - did I hear it one of their podcasts, or did I read it someplace?

post #14 of 1211 Old 10-12-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

I think they just forgot to update their web page. Hopefully they will change it before it becomes available. IIRC Emotiva themselves confirmed that the XMC-1 would be TacT-less on release - did I hear it one of their podcasts, or did I read it someplace?

You're probably correct about the lack of page update, but given that most of the visitors to the Emo site probably aren't aware of the TACT deletion, it needs to be made ASAP as they are taking pre-orders.

IIRC, the original info on removing TACT from the initial release was from a podcast and then discussed here.
post #15 of 1211 Old 10-12-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

You're probably correct about the lack of page update, but given that most of the visitors to the Emo site probably aren't aware of the TACT deletion, it needs to be made ASAP as they are taking pre-orders.

IIRC, the original info on removing TACT from the initial release was from a podcast and then discussed here.

Good point about them taking orders for it. If people don't realise it is going to be TacT-less on release (and why should they?), they will be mightily pissed when the thing arrives. Maybe someone who cares more than I do about the XMC will contact Emo to remind them to change that web page - it's pretty misleading as it stands and I am sure Emo wouldn't knowingly want to mislead people.

post #16 of 1211 Old 05-11-2014, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 45
According to Emotiva, the first units have already been shipped.

http://www.xmc-1.com/
Quote:
RESERVE YOUR XMC-1 TODAY
For only $1999, the redefinition of the cinematic experience is almost here. The first Emotiva XMC-1s shipped in April 2014. More are due in May, with volume shipping in June.
post #17 of 1211 Old 05-11-2014, 04:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcapri79 View Post

It's interesting that the XMC-1 shipped in April. But not a single mention from any XMC-1 owners anywhere on the entire world wide web wink.gif.

Bill
xcapri79 likes this.

post #18 of 1211 Old 05-11-2014, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcapri79 View Post

Any particular reason why you dug up a thread almost 2 years old?

post #19 of 1211 Old 05-11-2014, 04:37 PM

Yes especially since the XMC-1 took longer to develop than either of the World Wars. I would have expected a big parade in Franklin Tennessee to celebrate such a triumph!
This was a rather quiet release.
post #20 of 1211 Old 05-11-2014, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Well Dan shipped one to Lonnie just so they could claim it is being shipped!
;
post #21 of 1211 Old 05-11-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post

Try reading the preceding posts. That will give you a hint.wink.gif
post #22 of 1211 Old 05-11-2014, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I'm asking you for clarification because the reasoning is unclear. Perhaps you could help me out?
post #23 of 1211 Old 05-12-2014, 12:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My guess would be that this was already an established XMC-1 thread. I would think that if Emotiva did ship production XMC-1s some of those would go to those on the years long waiting list. Many of those on the that waiting list would have to be members of the Emotiva Lounge (myself included). I say that as the only way (in my opinion) that one would know about the XMC-1 was to be an active member of the Lounge. To me this is just another interesting twist in the long journey of the XMC-1 wink.gif.

Bill
xcapri79 likes this.

post #24 of 1211 Old 05-12-2014, 12:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Quote:

The other XMC-1 thread was just shut down by the moderators.
xcapri79 likes this.

Sanjay
post #25 of 1211 Old 05-12-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24

If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ... Something old and something new :-)

post #26 of 1211 Old 05-21-2014, 05:47 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post

Well Dan shipped one to Lonnie just so they could claim it is being shipped!
;

That is funny...and possibly what happened.
Bill Mac likes this.
post #27 of 1211 Old 05-21-2014, 07:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Still no sightings of the XMC-1 in the wild and we're almost through May. "The first Emotiva XMC-1s shipped in April 2014. More are due in May, with volume shipping in June". Very interesting wink.gif.

Bill

post #28 of 1211 Old 05-21-2014, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Bill , please don't hold your breath........... we need you around for a while longer biggrin.gif I would be very surprised if July is not the reality.
post #29 of 1211 Old 05-21-2014, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Can't wait to see some reviews of this thing.
post #30 of 1211 Old 05-21-2014, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 140
How long have people been waiting for the XMC-1?
Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page