Offical Pioneer VSX-822k owners thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 67 Old 10-14-2012, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I noticed that there wasn't a thread for this receiver. Just bought this receiver last week and been figuring it out slowly. I previously had a onkyo sr-606 until the hdmi blew and they wanted to much to repair over half of what I paid for it. Went to bestbuy and found this receiver and it looked like the best out of their options. Im powering two monitor 50s, a CS1, two monitor 40s, and a ESW-V10. I ran the configoration 5 times and it set the speakers to 100 HZ and the speakers to large. in the threads Ive been reading it says to set speakers to small and crossover to 80hz. Whats the best way to config the audio setting to get the best sound on paper. Let me know I'd like to get the best out of my home theater system.

Thanks Josh

Buffalo, NY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 04-16-2013, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Picked up from Amazon for $230, $150 discount since new models released.

Using 4 Bergtek HDMI 1.4 cables to connect sources and TV. Setup was pretty easy. MCACC works and does improve sound although there is no adjustment after other than bass/treble controls.

Front speakers are vintage Hafler 300 towers and rears are JBL HLS410. No center or sub. Return to Forever bluray with dts hd sound was very naturalwithout the hyped up subwoofer boom from my old yamaha setup. Cheap subs just don't sound natural to me. I won't get room rattling explosions but that's ok. The Haflers go down to about 70hz strong, then fade out at 35hz testing with signal generator test.

The one thing I do not like is that I can't set a surround mode for each input. So, if Dolby Digital or dts is present those are auto selected, that is ok. Stereo soundtracks for all inputs have to be stereo or decoded as pro logic or dts neo6. My old Yamaha would remember what surround mode I selected for each input. The DTS neo6 seems to sound the best compared to Dolby PLII.

Listening to flac files off my nas. Sounds pretty good although not as nice as my vintage h/k amps in the mancave stereo. Dts neo6 music seems to sound best. The mcacc eq really makes it better initially, have to do more pure direct listening. Sound retriever adds some pop to the music and doesnt seem obtrusive or fatiging to listen too on some jazz music. I need to try my h/k pm655 downstairs for comparison.

So far it is fulfilling my needs for the living room HT setup. Not as easy to use as my old Yamaha and I wish I could tweak the MCACC EQ settings. Sometime I'll use some test tones and my spectrum analyzer on my phone to see what MCACC is doing as far as EQ.

I do like the Android remote app for my phone, works pretty good. Easier to navigate internet radio stations with my phone over the remote control.
post #3 of 67 Old 04-23-2013, 07:45 AM

Just bought and set up this receiver and I have a very stupid question. In the auto surround mode, it seems like most of the time, the receiver is only pumping audio through my front surround speakers with nothing coming through the center channel. Is there a way to adjust this but still stay in auto surround mode?
post #4 of 67 Old 04-23-2013, 08:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 351
it depends on the source. If you have a two channel signal coming in then all the content will go to the left and right front speakers. Now if you have a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal the the center speaker should get the majority of the vocals and dialogue.

There is no reason to leave your setting on Auto if you prefer another sound mode. Just change it to what you want.

What devices do you have and how are they connected to your receiver?

Afro GT
post #5 of 67 Old 04-23-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

it depends on the source. If you have a two channel signal coming in then all the content will go to the left and right front speakers. Now if you have a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal the the center speaker should get the majority of the vocals and dialogue.

There is no reason to leave your setting on Auto if you prefer another sound mode. Just change it to what you want.

What devices do you have and how are they connected to your receiver?

I have a Tivo Premier, Panasonic Blu-ray and X-box 360 all connected through HDMI. There is some content that comes through the Tivo that is auto detected as 5.1 but I would say the majority of it seems to be detected as stereo, even channels like HBO which I know from previous receivers is 5.1.
post #6 of 67 Old 06-14-2013, 01:47 PM

VSX-822 Owners are truly a lonely lot...
post #7 of 67 Old 07-27-2013, 10:09 AM

I have one too, I can't get it to do anything via a monoprice IR repeater.

Does anyone else have this issue?
post #8 of 67 Old 09-01-2013, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

I am looking to buy this receiver for a situation that I want all five speakers to play the same thing like my older Denon 4802 does. It has 5-7 channel speaker mode. Does this receiver have this type of setting. The speakers will be placed throughout the room just to hear sound. It is a fairly large room and the people will be just listening to music and don't care about surround because everyone will be scattered in various places. Will it play 5 channel music? Thanks
post #9 of 67 Old 10-16-2013, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingeborgdot View Post

I am looking to buy this receiver for a situation that I want all five speakers to play the same thing like my older Denon 4802 does. It has 5-7 channel speaker mode. Does this receiver have this type of setting. The speakers will be placed throughout the room just to hear sound. It is a fairly large room and the people will be just listening to music and don't care about surround because everyone will be scattered in various places. Will it play 5 channel music? Thanks

Yes it does. EXT Stereo.
post #10 of 67 Old 10-20-2013, 08:28 AM

EXT Stereo?  OK...........Does it have analog out full spectrum simple stereo outs?  Can't seem to find that anywhere on this receiver or its' accompanying documentation.  Trying to get an auxiliary amp to add  full spectrum stereo to the surround experience without losing full functioning via all the HDMI inputs.. 

post #11 of 67 Old 10-20-2013, 08:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

How do you define Full Spectrum Stereo?

That receiver doesn't have preamp outputs for the main channels so how would you connect an external amp?.

Afro GT
post #12 of 67 Old 10-20-2013, 09:07 AM

That is my point.  I was hoping this amp would process any of the HDMI signals to a line level analog stereo output.  By full spectrum, I mean all of the sound frequencies that this receiver is seeing or receiving (digitally)  and up-convert them to simple analog stereo outputs. Most previous AVS amplifiers including all of my previous receivers had this as an option but I guess it's "too expensive" to offer this option now with out having to buy a pricier receiver.  After all, it's much cheaper to process a digital signal than an analog one.

post #13 of 67 Old 10-20-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, since the receiver doesn't have a line level stereo put the point is moot....

Afro GT
post #14 of 67 Old 10-26-2013, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Im considering a refurbished VSX-822-K to use with my pc. Newegg has it for $179 at the moment. I've been using a Denon 1913 downs stairs and hope this receiver is comparable in audio quality. At this price point it sure seems like a no brainer!

Thoughts?

Pioneer Elite SC-71 - Polk RT20P (w/ 4 8" subs) - Polk CS245i center - Polk Monitor 75T
Custom MartySub, 18" Dayton 460 7cuft' cabinet w/ Inuke3000dsp at 1400 watts over 200lb! For sale : (
Toshiba 55" LED - HTPC - Wii U - Sony BDP-S1100 - Monster HTS3500
post #15 of 67 Old 10-29-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaPie View Post

Im considering a refurbished VSX-822-K to use with my pc. Newegg has it for $179 at the moment. I've been using a Denon 1913 downs stairs and hope this receiver is comparable in audio quality. At this price point it sure seems like a no brainer!

Thoughts?

Go for it. I bought it for the corporate rental I stay at. Its paired with a Klipsch HD600 5.1 box set. It sounds fantastic for movies and television. Music is plenty loud, but I won't judge the receiver on music playing through tiny satellites. I paid roughly the same for an open box unit.
post #16 of 67 Old 10-29-2013, 06:11 PM

I was going to do the "Shell Shocker" at $179 from Newegg, but then

I saw an eBay auction by newegg for $149 for a refurbished unit.  I 

am near LA so as usual, Newegg had it in my hands the next day.

Yay.

This unit has all these special processing settings called "Advanced Surround".

There is a red light on the front of the unit that indicates that this feature is

engaged, but it's always on.  I just set this to ext.stereo, because the others

all sound to reverbish.  I'm trying to figure out whether the ext.stereo setting

has any effect when a source is selected that has more than two channels.

The manual is vague, but it sounds like they are saying that stereo goes to

all channels, while surround sources would be decoded as usual.  I really just

want to set this feature to 'off', but I don't see how I can do that. 

Thanks,

Tobiah

CurtisEnis likes this.
post #17 of 67 Old 10-30-2013, 04:41 PM

I also got this receiver for $149 on ebay.  Seems like a great deal.

I do, however, have a really stupid question.  I am a total newbie when it comes to electronics.

I currently only have a sound bar that I am trying to connect to the receiver with a fiber optic cable.  I do not have a set of speakers yet.  I have been able to hook up my components and see video through my tv, however, I am not getting any sound.  Is it possible my soundbar and the receiver are incompatible?  Let me know if anyone has any advice, I am probably just a moron.

Thanks,

Curtis

post #18 of 67 Old 10-30-2013, 10:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

how are you connecting the soundbar to your receiver? The VSX-822 doesn't have an optical output.

Afro GT
post #19 of 67 Old 11-03-2013, 10:34 AM

Well, you confirmed it.  I am a moron.  I was trying to use the Optical TV-In.

Are the only options for Audio out for this receiver regular speaker cables and then RCA connectors?

post #20 of 67 Old 11-09-2013, 12:31 PM

I recently purchased a VSX-822-K . I am having a problem unzipping the update and loading it on a finger drive. Has anyone else had this problem?

post #21 of 67 Old 11-17-2013, 02:36 PM

In case anyone is curious about modding the VSX 822k for line level outs to drive external amps, I think we're in luck. I bought one of these on an impulse at the $149 Newegg price, and of course I immediately took the top off to poke around. On the amp board, there are 5 clearly labeled test points, i.e. FL, FR, C, SL, SR. And they output a nice post volume line level signal :-) I've only tested it on the bench using a QBox, (little battery powered handheld amp/speaker box) but they are clearly post EQ, so the MCACC auto EQ is available. Also, the board is silk screened with the legend 'Pioneer VSX 321/421/521/821 Amp Board', so I'm guessing those models have the same ability to add line outs. When looking from the back of the amp, the pin on the right of each 3 pin test point connector is signal, and chassis is ground. In the pic you see my little Molex SPOX connector pigtail I had laying around testing the center channel output. I would be pretty sure this would void the warranty, but at the $149 price, I'll take that risk.

post #22 of 67 Old 11-18-2013, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by justpushplay View Post

In case anyone is curious about modding the VSX 822k for line level outs to drive external amps, I think we're in luck. I bought one of these on an impulse at the $149 Newegg price, and of course I immediately took the top off to poke around. On the amp board, there are 5 clearly labeled test points, i.e. FL, FR, C, SL, SR. And they output a nice post volume line level signal :-) I've only tested it on the bench using a QBox, (little battery powered handheld amp/speaker box) but they are clearly post EQ, so the MCACC auto EQ is available. Also, the board is silk screened with the legend 'Pioneer VSX 321/421/521/821 Amp Board', so I'm guessing those models have the same ability to add line outs. When looking from the back of the amp, the pin on the right of each 3 pin test point connector is signal, and chassis is ground. In the pic you see my little Molex SPOX connector pigtail I had laying around testing the center channel output. I would be pretty sure this would void the warranty, but at the $149 price, I'll take that risk.

Wow looks like a great find biggrin.gif
Are you planning to use those pre-outs and building sort of supporting-board or something to make it easier to plug the RCA cables ?

TV: Panasonic TX-P50VT30E
Audio | Receiver: Pioneer VSX-AX2AS-S (Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS) | Speakers: 2x KEF Q900 for Fronts | 2x KEF Q700 for Rears
Audio/Video Sources | Panasonic DMP-BDT 310 | Pioneer PL-510 | HTPC using Intel i3-3220 16GB XBMC on Ubuntu 13.10
post #23 of 67 Old 11-18-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prietz0r View Post

Wow looks like a great find biggrin.gif
Are you planning to use those pre-outs and building sort of supporting-board or something to make it easier to plug the RCA cables ?

I'm hoping to make an RCA wall panel from Monoprice work with some mods. If it fits properly, I'll drill the 5 appropriate holes in the back panel of the Pioneer, mount the jacks inside with them sticking out through the holes, and tie the harness I just built into that. If it doesn't fit like I hope, I'll simply drill holes and use standard panel mount RCAs. I'm also going to look into possibly killing supply voltage to the speaker output drivers, in the interest of not generating unnecessary heat. I have 8 ohm 30 watt resistors for the outputs, but I'd rather them not be operational. Here's some pics of the wiring harness to go to the RCAs:

post #24 of 67 Old 11-27-2013, 09:44 AM

Well first off, this is my first jump into the audio world!

Can anyone confirm if the only audio output is from speaker?  As much as I would like to setup my speakers, I do not have any room at the moment, but would still like to utilize the 6 HDMI in.

Is this possible?  In the settings, I turned ARC on so maybe this is just one way to amp.

Edit>> may have answered my own question, but won't be home for 7 hours.  Can anyone confirm this is what I think it means (audio will play out of TV?

"When the HDMI option is set to THRU the sound will be heard through your TV, not from this received (page 25 of the manual"

post #25 of 67 Old 12-08-2013, 09:05 AM

I can't select folders. When I get to the Pandora, internet radio etc. screen I can't select. I press the remote up/down, enter and nothing! Volume, input select etc. work fine. It is just the on screen menus. Any thoughts?????

post #26 of 67 Old 12-08-2013, 10:26 AM

Some updates to the line out mods. I ended up building T-pads (http://www.icycolors.com/nu9n/tpad-calculator.html) to bring the output level down (about 16db, according to the Room EQ Wizard software) I didn't measure the output voltages before adding the pads, (The volume control goes from 0 to 80, so I don't know where unity is on this thing. There is no 0 db reference) but it was capable of feeding a very hot signal to my balanced +4 input amp rack. Too hot for my tastes. One wrong move swiping the volume control on an iPad using Airplay easily caused the Tannoys to bottom out their VCs. Scary! With the pads wired in, the output is much more controllable, yet will still drive the amp rack to a more than necessary but still safe output if asked. It's been running on the bench for about a week now, and everything is working perfectly. Next step is to install it in the rack, and work around the problem of not being able to watch a video input while listening to music on another input. I've got some active HDMI splitters on order, to use in conjunction with an HDMI switcher that is already in use with the Marantz pre/pro that this will replace. Somewhat kludgy, but will only come into play when needed. In the pic of the new RCA line out jacks, you can see the 8 ohm 30 watt resistors on the unused speaker outputs. I didn't bother to cut voltage to the output devices, the heat sink nor the resistors get warm with extended use. Best $150 ever spent on a pre/pro :-)

post #27 of 67 Old 12-22-2013, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am hooking this receiver up for my parents. I am trying to find an option for mono, all sounds through all the speakers. Because they have ceiling speakers throughout their house and want to be able to listen to the TV throughout the house. Currently, I can only hear music or sounds through the ceiling speakers, no voices.
post #28 of 67 Old 12-25-2013, 09:49 PM

I got this receiver a little while ago and have it set up with a JBL Centre, 2 Bose 201 Series III for the front and 2 Bose 301 Series II for the rear. When I go into the manual speaker setup and go through the different speaker levels I get sound out of all speakers. As soon as I play any content, such as a a movie through Netflix or even a blu-ray on my PS3, I get no sound out of either rear speaker. I get great sound coming from the front two and the centre channel even my sub. I have tried connecting the 301s to the front channels to make sure it is not the speakers, but they works great. Any help would be great.
post #29 of 67 Old 12-26-2013, 08:40 AM

Put it in EXT Stereo mode, will send to all speakers.. My guess is as close as you're gonna get
post #30 of 67 Old 12-26-2013, 09:38 AM

I have tried that and it has not made a difference.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Vsx 822 K 400w 5 Channel A V Receiver Network Ready Pandora Ipod Iphone Black , Pioneer Vsx 1122 K , Pioneer Channel Av Receiver Vsx 523 K , Pioneer Channel Av Receiver Vsx 1023 K , Pioneer Channel Av Receiver Vsx 823 K , Pioneer Channel Av Receiver Vsx 1123 K , Pioneer Vsx D812k A V Receiver , Pioneer Vsx 517 K Home Theater Receiver Black , Pioneer Vsx D514 K Av Receiver 5 1 Channel Black , Pioneer Vsx 920 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page