Need Help with Purchasing a Receiver $650 and under range! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 10-14-2012, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone I am new on these forums and need some serious HELP on getting a receiver. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

I am deciding between Pioneer, Yamaha, Denon and maybe Onkyo.
I've been told its best to look at the Elites for Pioneer, Aventage for Yamaha and In Command for Denon? Is this true? Are the builds of them that much better?

My plan is to spend a bit more on the receiver that will last me many years, and get a cheaper $250 speaker package for now and upgrade those later.

I will list my wanted features but first, what is the real difference between the Yamaha RX-V773WA and the Yamaha RX-A720?
The former is normally $800 on amazon but right now I can get it with a polk $250 (polk) speaker package for $800.
The Yamaha RX-A720 is $650.

I own a Panasonic 55inch LED E50. I plan to get an apple tv and maybe a WD Live box. I really only plan on using online/ downloaded movies, not actual discs ever.
My primary use will be for movies but I also will listen to music on it quite a bit.

Some feature questions/ do I need these:

4k passthrough/ upscaling?
Auto Lip-Sync - does this actually work well?
what is Deep Color/x.v.Color/24Hz Refresh Rate all about?
Is Audyssey worth it?
A big question - THX - is it worth it? I know a lot of people say its just a useless badge, a lot of others argue you can really hear the difference.
- side question, why are there so many cheap onkyo receivers that have THX?
Dialogue Lift and Dialogue Level Adjustment - is this worth while?
Compressed Music Enhancer?

Features I want to have for sure:
Airplay
A second zone - question about this. Do some receivers let you only play the same thing (source) on both zones when some let you play separate sources and a separate control?
-I'm confused that some of these "second zones" need another power source or amp vs some receivers you don't is that right?
-also I noticed some receivers have even 3 zones with 2 video outs as well - would it be worth getting this as well for the future when I want to expand?
- I generally am having a hard time figuring out which of these brands I mentioned have the best extra zone functionality

Pandora - but not essential.
I would like a good quality remote app to control it from my iphone - not sure if they differ much between brands.

Ones I'm looking at (feel free to make me aware of any others though):
Prices are from Amazon

Yamaha RX-V573 $500
Yamaha RX-V673 $600 and comes with the Jamo S-426 HCS-3 5 speakers
Yamaha RX-V773WA $800 and comes with Polk Audio RM705 5.1 speakers
Yamaha RX-A720 $650
Pioneer Elite VSX-42 $450 (from best buy)
Pioneer Elite VSX-60 $650 - I heard the on sc
Pioneer Elite VSX-53 $Seen it as low as 700
Denon AVR-1913 $579
Denon AVR-2113CI $650 - seems to have quite a bit bad reviews
Denon AVR-2313CI - this one maybe be above my budget at $900, but could maybe get it used or refurbished for around 600

Are any of those speaker packages decent?

Please let me know anything you think I should care about that I am not yet aware of like video processing, the differences in power or amps or whatever.
Thank you so much for anyones help!

-Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-14-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Denon 3312 refurb, $599
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR3312CI/DENON-AVR-3312CI-7.2-Integrated-Network-A/V-Surround-Receiver-w/AirPlay/1.html

I see you have a $650 budget for a receiver but only $250 for speakers?

Speakers are way more important than the receiver. I think your budget should be reversed.

Where are you located by the way? The reason I ask is if you have a Fry's Electronics close by you can get some great deals on receivers and speakers. They've had the Denon 1913 on sale for $299 a few times in the past. That may be all you need.

Afro GT
post #3 of 16 Old 10-14-2012, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

I am in Kansas City.
Yeah I know what you mean but I am currently in an apartment for the next year and so I can't exactly get huge speakers just yet. I figure I will get the receiver now and update the speakers later (although I want the B&W 685 speakers so bad).
What do you think about some of the other questions I asked?
Is there anything that Denon you posted is lacking like 4k? Do I need 4k?

Also, how well does upscaling work anyways and is it worth it?

Thanks again!
post #4 of 16 Old 10-14-2012, 05:51 PM

Liked: 14
I recently got my Denon 2312ci, maybe some left on crutchfield.com.
I love the airplay.
post #5 of 16 Old 10-14-2012, 06:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

4K isn't important right now because you don't have a 4K display. Nor is there any 4K content.

Audyssey is a plus.

Zone 2 means you can have same or different sources in different rooms. Speaker B would be only same source in both rooms. do you need more than 2 zones? that's a question you'll have to answer for yourself.
Quote:
Dialogue Lift and Dialogue Level Adjustment - is this worth while?
Compressed Music Enhancer?

I don't have those features on any of my receivers. THX either. So I guess I don't think they're necessary.

All the Denon network receivers can do Pandora streaming.

If you're getting Apple TV and WD Live, don't they both stream Pandora? Why would you need a network receiver?

Afro GT
post #6 of 16 Old 10-14-2012, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

I don't really need 3 zones although I wouldn't complain if the receiver had it. Are these 2nd zones powerful enough that I could set up a 5.1 system in the tv room, and a pair of B&W 685 speakers in another?

What do you think about the differences in companies top end line vs normal (Yamaha aventage, elite, in command, ect...)
I'm wondering if those amazon deals are worth it or not or if I should go with a high end model.

Is Audyssey that much better than Yamaha's system or Pioneers?

Thanks again
post #7 of 16 Old 10-14-2012, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Audyssey is better, how much, YMMV. Running 5.1 and stereo at the same time in both zones, or one-or-the-other? Top end are better and have more features. Worth the price?, again YMMV.
post #8 of 16 Old 10-14-2012, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

For the second zone - I'm thinking 5.1 at the tv and stereo and amp in the other zone at the same time yes, different sources, so someone can be watching a movie in one room and I can be listening to music in another.
Doesn't Yamaha RX-V773WA do that?
-This is potentially a deal breaker for me whether you can airplay separate sources to the second zone

Does anyone know how this model compares to Yamaha's Aventage models? Feature wise it seems pretty close. The deal on it on amazon is tempting considering it's new with warranty with the polk 5.1 speakers for free.

The main thing I am trying to figure out is which receivers have true 2 zones - you can use airplay to control both zones, can you have the same source or different sources playing to separate zones, and you don't have to buy an extra amp or anything like that. Does anyone know this??? I have been looking everywhere on the forums.

Among these receivers:
Yamaha RX-V773WA
Pioneer Elite VSX-60
Denon AVR-2112CI
Denon AVR-2312CI
post #9 of 16 Old 10-14-2012, 11:14 PM

I also am thinking about the Yamaha RXV-773 bundle on Amazon. Like yourself, on a budget and really only wanted to go about $500 but that bundle is tempting.
I wish they were offering a 7.1 speaker system with it though. Originally wanted to just get the RXV-573 because I don't
really need 2 zones but that bundle seems to be pretty slick! What would be some comparable speakers to add on to those Polk speakers to make it a true 7.1 speaker system?
Bundle:
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V773WA-7-2-Channel-Receiver-wireless/dp/B007JF85SS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1350281446&sr=1-1&keywords=rxv773
post #10 of 16 Old 10-15-2012, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

I ended up finding a Pioneer Elite VSX-53 at Best buy for $550!
post #11 of 16 Old 10-15-2012, 10:34 PM

Wow! How did you get it at that price?!? Open box?
I'm still in limbo as to what to purchase. I still sort of want that RS-V773 bundle
and wondering if BestBuy would do something comparable.
post #12 of 16 Old 10-16-2012, 07:51 AM

Newbie here. I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile, but I like quality and like to cry only once when I buy something.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as the original poster.

considering the following AVR's $650 and under.

Marantz NR1603
Yamaha RX-A720
Pioneer Elite VSX-60

for speakers, i'm going to start with 1 pair of either PSB Alpha B1 or Image B6 speakers. They will be wall mounted at about 8' high and pointed downward.

The room is 24 x 15 and accoustics are terrible! all wood and glass. (its an A-Frame vacation home) so one of the important things for me are the room tuners that are built in. I've read that Yamaha's YPAO is dated. is that true?

I'd say I'm getting this system more for music than video. I like all the connectivity for internet radio, ipod etc, and pandora etc.

with my choice of speakers, should i be concerned that the Marantz NR1603 has less power?

I'm leaning towards the Marantz due to its smaller size.

Any thoughts on which AVR to pick and my choice of speakers? thx
post #13 of 16 Old 10-16-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRest View Post

I also am thinking about the Yamaha RXV-773 bundle on Amazon. Like yourself, on a budget and really only wanted to go about $500 but that bundle is tempting.
I wish they were offering a 7.1 speaker system with it though. Originally wanted to just get the RXV-573 because I don't
really need 2 zones but that bundle seems to be pretty slick! What would be some comparable speakers to add on to those Polk speakers to make it a true 7.1 speaker system?
Bundle:
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V773WA-7-2-Channel-Receiver-wireless/dp/B007JF85SS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1350281446&sr=1-1&keywords=rxv773

You can buy extra RM7 satellites from Amazon. I wouldn't pay $89 each for them though.
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Satellite-Speaker-Single/dp/B000YNOWTS/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1350399212&sr=1-2&keywords=polk+rm7+satellites

They have some used, like new RM7 speakers for $38 each. That might be the way to go.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000YNOWTS/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Afro GT
post #14 of 16 Old 10-16-2012, 10:28 AM

Liked: 11
Denon 2313 @ Amazon for $568....!!!!

A bunch of us ordered the 2312 and it was out of stock. Electronics Expo substituted the brand new (not a refurb) 2313 in place of it.

It comes with a three year warranty, I paid with Amex so add another year and you could also purchase a Squaretrade warranty for another three years cheaply which would begin after the others have expired...!!!

Something to consider if you're concerned about reliability.

SYSTEM

SAMSUNG ES55-8000
DENON 2313-CI
ENERGY RC-70'S
RC-LCR
RC-10'S
KLIPSCH RW-12D

Looking for a pair of Energy RC-6W
Please contact me if you could help me obtain them...thanks..!!
post #15 of 16 Old 10-16-2012, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

JRest yep it was open box. They had a couple other pioneers there but that was the best deal. Super happy about it
post #16 of 16 Old 10-16-2012, 10:25 PM

Very nice! I think it's too much machine for me. Thanks for replying....now go enjoy your new toy!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page