~Please help me spend $4k for 2-channel if it will top my setup!~ - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-14-2012, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
So, I'm waivering on buying a high end ($4k) pre+amp / integrated or sticking with my setup. $4k can go a long way with Naim, Bryston etc on Agon. I currently run an Outlaw RR2150 powering my B&W 805N and I use the preouts to a Behringer EP4000 for my Harbeth SHL-5 speakers.

I get that Outlaw is not the upper end of hifi and Behringer is kinda a pariah but I have not been able to get any answers on AVS, Audiocircle and Audiogon as to why high end amps are better sonically. Lots of warranty / build quality / pride of ownership reasons but nothing to support better sound. I like nice stuff too but I am here for the best sound first, second and third.

Do high end amps actually sound better than my setup or is it a matter of negligible nuance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-15-2012, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 17
alley oop
post #3 of 3 Old 10-15-2012, 01:58 PM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelkingdom View Post

I get that Outlaw is not the upper end of hifi and Behringer is kinda a pariah but I have not been able to get any answers on AVS, Audiocircle and Audiogon as to why high end amps are better sonically.

That's because if properly working and balanced for output, double blind studies have shown, cheap Amp or expensive Amp, other than engineered color, if a neutral design, once the curtain goes down, they all sound the same.

Quote:
Do high end amps actually sound better than my setup or is it a matter of negligible nuance?

Esoteric pride of ownership, coupled with cool factor. Other than that, if at all, it's nuance. biggrin.gif

My understanding, it's all about sufficient power, speaker choice, room analyzers and a neutral Amp design with a +100dB noise floor coupled to <0.1THD.

Our setup? A Marantz SR5007, coupled to eighteen year old Klipsch Epic, CF-3's for mains, a recently purchased Klipsch, RC64 II center channel and appropriate Klipsch, KSP-S6 surrounds to round out the ensemble. Later, when other household obligations are taken care of, the subs will be upgraded to SVS, PB12-NSD's and an Emotiva, XPA-5 will be added to make sure sufficient power is available for THX reference sound levels. Currently we're good. I also want the cool factor that adding an outboard Amp, brings to the party.

If ignorance is bliss, then our bliss is found in a properly balanced, 5.2, speaker/amplifier sound reproduction system. cool.gif The point, one doesn't have to break the bank to have killer sound quality. Many years ago I learned, after a certain price point, one is chasing rainbows.

Hope the above helps.

-
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page