Denon AVR-3806 vs Denon AVR-1612 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-16-2012, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I already have a Denon AVR-1612 I got for $200, and just recently I found an used Denon AVR-3806 for $250, only $50 more than what I paid for the AVR-1612! The seller says he has had it for about 5 years now, but everything is still in good working order.

Is it a good idea investing in the AVR-3806 and sell off the AVR-1612? It feels like the AVR-3806 is a bit too old and outdated to spend money on. For example, the AVR-1612 has USB/iPod port and can control iPods when they're plugged in, the AVR-3806 doesn't have that. I also feel like the AVR-3806 probably won't last much longer since it has already been used for about 5 years. I want it to last or it would feel like I just threw $250 in the trash. Should I just stick with my AVR-1612 or buy the AVR-3806 and try to sell off the AVR-1612?

Also, the receiver will be powering a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 70s, and will be used solely for music, no HT at all. The 1612 has 75w per channel at 8ohm while the 3806 has 120w per channel at 8ohm. I don't know if that'll make a significant difference in powering the Monitor 70s. confused.gif

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-16-2012, 04:44 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1406 Post(s)
Liked: 1603
The 3806 is a 7 year old model with no networking capability although it does use the initial version of the more advanced Audyssey MultEQ XT. It's a much higher level model and would likley be the better choice for music only if it offers the inputs and features you need (note the 1713 would offer networking and the more advanced MultEQ XT). The ipod can be connected via a 3.5mm to analog adapter so that's no real issue. How much of an improvement would be realized depends on your speakers and how critical a listener you are. Suggest you try to demo it first to get your answer.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 9 Old 10-16-2012, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The 3806 is a 7 year old model with no networking capability although it does use the initial version of the more advanced Audyssey MultEQ XT. It's a much higher level model and would likley be the better choice for music only if it offers the inputs and features you need (note the 1713 would offer networking and the more advanced MultEQ XT). The ipod can be connected via a 3.5mm to analog adapter so that's no real issue. How much of an improvement would be realized depends on your speakers and how critical a listener you are. Suggest you try to demo it first to get your answer.

It'd be hard to demo it since it is a really old model. The seller is about an hour away as well. I guess what I'm concerned about most is if the 120w from the 3806 will make the Monitor 70s sound way better than the 75w from the 1612. Also, if the old 3806 will still have at least a few more years of life to it, I don't want to spend the money only to have it die out in a year.
post #4 of 9 Old 10-16-2012, 11:30 AM
585-645-1006

Not sure what the age of the model has to do with testing it as you'll either notice a difference in audio clarity or not. The power difference will generally only matter if you currently have the 1612 volume maxed out and near clipping. AVRs don't have an average service life so there's no way of determining it's remaining life although likely many more years. See if the seller will let you take it home for a week to demo.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #5 of 9 Old 10-16-2012, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Not sure what the age of the model has to do with testing it as you'll either notice a difference in audio clarity or not. The power difference will generally only matter if you currently have the 1612 volume maxed out and near clipping. AVRs don't have an average service life so there's no way of determining it's remaining life although likely many more years. See if the seller will let you take it home for a week to demo.

Oh sorry I meant since it's an old model it'd be hard to find places that carry them to be able to demo them. I guess power isn't an issue then because I can't even have the 1612 set at "reference level" because it's just too loud for me. It's a bit risky buying such an old receiver because I'd probably be out of luck if anything happens to it. Maybe I should stick with a newer model that still has warranty on it even if it means having a more "lower end" model. Does anyone else have any input on this matter?

Side question, does a subwoofer like the Polk PSW505 use power from the receiver to power them? Or does the subwoofer itself have its own power, and the only thing the receiver does is send the audio to the subwoofer correct?
post #6 of 9 Old 10-16-2012, 01:11 PM
585-645-1006

The 505 is a powered subwoofer and therefore the sub's amp provides the power. By setting the speakers to a minimum of 80Hz crossover, you pass the lower level frequencies to the sub which gives more headroom to the AVR for the speakers.

post #7 of 9 Old 10-17-2012, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The 505 is a powered subwoofer and therefore the sub's amp provides the power. By setting the speakers to a minimum of 80Hz crossover, you pass the lower level frequencies to the sub which gives more headroom to the AVR for the speakers.

Thanks for the help! I decided to stay with my AVR-1612 and instead get a Polk PSW-505. biggrin.gif That should give the AVR some more power for the Monitor 70s because the sub should take care of the low end. I just connect it with a subwoofer cable from the subwoofer "LFE-IN" to the AVR-1612 single subwoofer slot correct? Then I just run the Audyssey auto-setup again and everything should be good to go?
post #8 of 9 Old 10-17-2012, 03:18 AM
585-645-1006

Correct.

post #9 of 9 Old 10-17-2012, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I felt that the Monitor 70s weren't pushing enough deep vibrating bass that satisfied me so I figured it was being underpowered with my AVR 1612; therefore, I started looking at other possible receivers that could better power them, but they all costed too much or was too old. So I thought a possible alternative could be just adding a subwoofer like the PSW-505 to satisfy my bass needs. Can't wait to hear what the PSW-505 has in store for me! biggrin.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver , Denon Avr 1612 Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page