HTPC no HDMI to Pioneer SC-1222-K - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 10-18-2012, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I just cannot get video out to work on this thing, what setup is anyone else who is using this going with? A specific HDMI port? MY windows 7 HTPC detects the pioneer, using a radeon HD7950. And I have set the display to duplicate, but I never see anything. The reciever is able to output the menus to the TV so the HDMI connection from the receiver to the TV is working.

Oh and anyone know what the names of the inputs are for the more specialized inputs like pandora, I do not see it on harmony link.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-18-2012, 02:23 AM

Liked: 24
What happens if you connect the PC directly to the TV without going through the receiver?
post #3 of 11 Old 10-18-2012, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Works just fine.
post #4 of 11 Old 10-18-2012, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

I have it working now, I reran through the whole setup. The problem I have now is I have no bass, the subwoofer does not turn on. Maybe it has something to do with MCACC? When I ran it I never heard the sub humm or anything. I have tried setting speakers to small, subwoofer on in manual setup. Also tried large speakers.

Just to make sure it was not my subwoofer or cables I hooked my sub up to my old denon avr-791 and it worked.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-19-2012, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Make sure you have the sub plugged into the right jack. At least 2 forum posters with new SC models had no sub sound because they had it plugged into the wrong jack - the one for Zone 2 audio on the left side of the rear panel. The correct one is in the preamp out section in the middle of the rear panel smile.gif

Steve
post #6 of 11 Old 10-19-2012, 02:58 PM

Liked: 10
Regarding the subwoofer... I think there must be a soundfield setting that you have to enable before the 2-channel audio from the source gets processed and sent out.

I have my receiver getting a HDMI signal from my TV (which is a Samsung SmartTV with internet). When I stream content from the TV (YouTube) the receiver takes that audio signal and recognizes it as Stereo (2 channel). My subwoofer is not getting a signal and I'm losing some of the bass from that source. I've played with several settings, like Dolby, Prologic, etc) but have not found a setting that gives me 2 channels with sub.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-05-2012, 10:29 AM

I've been trying to set mine up this weekend. Seems like if you set the subwoofer to "Plus" in the manual SP setup it works just fine.

Not sure how "Plus" is different than "Yes"

This is my first modern AV receiver and I'm not too impressed yet. Music seems to sound better (warmer maybe) when I move the speakers back to my 25 year old Kenwood. That's even after having MCACC do it's automatic EQ for my living room.

Maybe I can manually EQ it to sound OK. The interface for making adjustments sure isn't user friendly though. I miss having actual bass and treble knobs
post #8 of 11 Old 11-05-2012, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytann View Post

I've been trying to set mine up this weekend. Seems like if you set the subwoofer to "Plus" in the manual SP setup it works just fine.
Not sure how "Plus" is different than "Yes"

"Yes" means there's a sub present which will reproduce bass less than the selected crossover freq. in the setup for ALL speakers set to SMALL If you have your fronts set to LARGE, playing a stereo source, then NO bass will be redirected to your sub. That is the way bass mgmt in modern AVR's works.

LARGE means are your front speakers capable of bass down to 20 Hz or below? Vast majority of speakers cannot do this, so the recommended setting for fronts is usually SMALL.

"Plus" means the speakers set to LARGE and the sub will be reproducing the same bass freq's at the same time, sometimes called double bass. This is NOT a preferred setting, since you will get cancellation & reinforcement of certain frequencies depending on sub location, room size. IOW, some freq's will be be louder & some will tend to cancel each other out, resulting in weaker volume of those freq's. It's an option for 2 channel but if you set the fronts to Small, the sub will kick in and handle the bass.

Plus is there as a personal preference thing but majority of HT setups say not recommended for smoothest bass response in a room.

In bass management, the sub is there to reproduce bass from all speakers, center, surrounds, and even the fronts if they are not full range 20 Hz capable. If you elect to set your fronts to Large, there's a great chance they will be trying to reproduce ultra low bass, even < 20 hz, and if they are not capable, they will produce higher distortion & tax your amps more. Let the sub do the job it's designed for.

As long as you have fronts set as Large, the sub won't kick in for 2 channel stereo sources. It will however be active on DVD's, Blu-rays, reproducing the .1 Low Freq Effects channel and redirected bass from the center & surrounds.

So saying "it works just fine" is an over-simplification and not really what you want to do full time. Set it up correctly to begin with and you will fully enjoy what your speakers & sub are capable of smile.gif

Steve
post #9 of 11 Old 11-05-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytann View Post

Maybe I can manually EQ it to sound OK. The interface for making adjustments sure isn't user friendly though. I miss having actual bass and treble knobs

and some competing systems, mainly Audyssey used in Denon, Onkyo, are completely auto-EQ.

you will gradually get used to using a modern A/V receiver smile.gif these are NOT the stereo systems of old smile.gif They are far more sophisticated than what you're used to. The interface for MCACC is about as good as you can get, maybe a few competing systems are slightly better, but they are all menu driven with individual adjustments for freq bands. Just think of it as a slider graphic equalizer without the dancing LED's and you'll be fine. It's been my own experience that letting it calibrate automatically results in a nice, integrated soundstage, surrounds, rears, center and fronts. Manual adjustments are there for personal tweaking to taste but the auto system is proven technology and will get your speaker-room response in the ballpark.

just make sure you use the mic properly -

1. place it on a tripod, mic stand, or if needed, on a seat back, but in the main listening position. Don't place it in front & lower than the seat back (on the seat itself, for example) or reflected sounds will throw off the calibration & EQ.
2. make sure the mic is pointed directly up to the ceiling, with the disc horizontal & parallel to the floor, in other words, don't tilt it forward or back, or you will get an incorrect calibration
3. try to stay out of the way of the mic and speakers, preferably out of the room & point the remote, but at the very least, don't stand behind or in front of the mic. and stand still. even small body movements can effect the lower freq measurements.
4. pick a quiet time to do the calibration. no footsteps, kids running around wink.gif
5. do the full MCACC, so you get all 3 modes, Symmetry, All Channels Adjust, and Front Aligned.

Symmetry = speakers are tuned in opposing pairs to match the target EQ curve
All Ch Adjust = speakers are tuned individually to match the target curve
Front Aligned = fronts are calibrated for distance & level but NOT EQ'd. Rest of speakers are EQ'd to match the non-EQ'd fronts

Hope this helps smile.gif
lhenslee likes this.

Steve
post #10 of 11 Old 11-06-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

"Yes" means there's a sub present which will reproduce bass less than the selected crossover freq. in the setup for ALL speakers set to SMALL If you have your fronts set to LARGE, playing a stereo source, then NO bass will be redirected to your sub. That is the way bass mgmt in modern AVR's works.
LARGE means are your front speakers capable of bass down to 20 Hz or below? Vast majority of speakers cannot do this, so the recommended setting for fronts is usually SMALL.
"Plus" means the speakers set to LARGE and the sub will be reproducing the same bass freq's at the same time, sometimes called double bass. This is NOT a preferred setting...

Oh, Thanks. That makes sense, as I do have the fronts set to LARGE. I'll change that tonight.
I appreciate the time spent on this response, as my first modern AVR system it's very complicated, and I'm having a steep learning curve with it.

Unfortunately I bought new speakers as well, so I am auditioning them at the same time. A pair of Pioneer SP-FS52. Comparing those with some Polk Tsi300's, figuring I'd send back whichever didn't sound as good. This is unfortunately because it's just more complication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

and some competing systems, mainly Audyssey used in Denon, Onkyo, are completely auto-EQ.
you will gradually get used to using a modern A/V receiver smile.gif these are NOT the stereo systems of old smile.gif They are far more sophisticated than what you're used to.

The complication I was expecting. The fact that even after auto-EQ on the new system, my old system sounds better for music I was NOT expecting. I haven't tried movies yet, and frankly don't care, as long as the movie dialog is clear enough to understand. Which should come out of the center speaker anyway, and any modern system should make the dialog easy to understand
My mix is probably 70% music, 20% games, and 10% movies. Part of my point in buying this was to get surround sound to work with my games.
Quote:
The interface for MCACC is about as good as you can get, maybe a few competing systems are slightly better, but they are all menu driven with individual adjustments for freq bands. Just think of it as a slider graphic equalizer without the dancing LED's and you'll be fine.

Yes, I understand how it works. But by going into the menu systems my digital source for music (the computer) stops playing. Makes adjustments 10x more difficult, as I can't just adjust the settings while listening until it sounds good.
Speaking of which, I haven't figured out how to get sound from the CD input to work. I have it set to ANALOG-1 in the input menu, but no sound comes through.
Quote:
It's been my own experience that letting it calibrate automatically results in a nice, integrated soundstage, surrounds, rears, center and fronts. Manual adjustments are there for personal tweaking to taste but the auto system is proven technology and will get your speaker-room response in the ballpark.
just make sure you use the mic properly -
1. place it on a tripod, mic stand, or if needed, on a seat back, but in the main listening position. Don't place it in front & lower than the seat back (on the seat itself, for example) or reflected sounds will throw off the calibration & EQ.
2. make sure the mic is pointed directly up to the ceiling, with the disc horizontal & parallel to the floor, in other words, don't tilt it forward or back, or you will get an incorrect calibration
3. try to stay out of the way of the mic and speakers, preferably out of the room & point the remote, but at the very least, don't stand behind or in front of the mic. and stand still. even small body movements can effect the lower freq measurements.
4. pick a quiet time to do the calibration. no footsteps, kids running around wink.gif
5. do the full MCACC, so you get all 3 modes, Symmetry, All Channels Adjust, and Front Aligned.
Symmetry = speakers are tuned in opposing pairs to match the target EQ curve
All Ch Adjust = speakers are tuned individually to match the target curve
Front Aligned = fronts are calibrated for distance & level but NOT EQ'd. Rest of speakers are EQ'd to match the non-EQ'd fronts
Hope this helps smile.gif

I'll have to re-do the mcacc, since I didn't have the microphone pointed at the celing. I held it next to my head pointed at the speakers.

What gets me about this is I want it to sound good throughtout the room. Not just in one spot. It's not like I sit still and just listen to music while sipping my brandy. When I've got music on I'm usually moving around and doing activities.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-15-2012, 10:35 AM

Recently purchased and installed the SC-1222 and so far so good. My previous receiver put out a lot of heat, but this one runs relatively cool. My only concerns at this point, is the volume setting. To get the sound level up to a reasonable level, I need to have it a -25 db or so. Previously I was able to achieve the same relative sound level with a setting of -35 db and the amp was smaller 80 watt vs 120 watt. I would have expected the reverse to be true. No changes in speaker system. Any thoughts?

db
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page